BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Michael Winner

My link

Bet he's never had mushy peas.............

Or hot peas in a sort of vinegar, presented in a white plastic cup, in a tent, next to the big wheel, at the fair, on ewood, circa 1975.

Just wondered, anyone in their forties remember such a delicacy ? They had a sort of tent with benches, you had a scoop of peas then they would drop some vinegar on them. I think that year there was an accident, someone fell off the big wheel and got injured ??

Edited by adopted scouser

Michael Winner is, and has always been, to me an absolute t**t. He makes my flesh creep. He's like the PC brigade; totally obnoxious yet commands some sort of power. Big 'eaded tit.

How come we cannot get rid of these types of people and stop them from interfering in our lives? :angry2:

I like Winner. He's a wum but he is very funny with it.

btw He's right about pretentious restaurants too. Dining out should be a relaxing experience not an uncomfortable stuffed shirt affair.

Or hot peas in a sort of vinegar, presented in a white plastic cup, in a tent, next to the big wheel, at the fair, on ewood, circa 1975.

Just wondered, anyone in their forties remember such a delicacy ? They had a sort of tent with benches, you had a scoop of peas then they would drop some vinegar on them. I think that year there was an accident, someone fell off the big wheel and got injured ??

If you mean parched peas, they're still readily available on the Flag Market in Preston most weekends.

Parched peas, that was it, bloody hell.

It's funny how something once regarded as delicious would probably make you run a mile these days. I used to love that fair turning up every year, living at the top of fernhurst street as a child looking down on all the lights, noise and screams from the rides was brill.

Only to find later in life (wearing blue serge and a funny hat)that a lot of the blokes working on the rides were sex offenders :blink::o

Parched peas, that was it, bloody hell.

It's funny how something once regarded as delicious would probably make you run a mile these days. I used to love that fair turning up every year, living at the top of fernhurst street as a child looking down on all the lights, noise and screams from the rides was brill.

Only to find later in life (wearing blue serge and a funny hat)that a lot of the blokes working on the rides were sex offenders :blink::o

Just out of curiosity...how did you find such a thing out? Did you avidly search for the info or did these people mention it in passing?

Just out of curiosity...how did you find such a thing out? Did you avidly search for the info or did these people mention it in passing?

Bloody hell mellison! "Blue serge and a funny hat" AS was a PC Plod in his past life not effing Noddy!

Edited by thenodrog

Parched peas and treacle toffee were expected standard fair around the bonfire on Nov 5th, always made by the local women, i.e. my mum and my mates' mums.

The cockle man would come into the pubs in the 1970s with basket on arm selling cockles, prawns, mussels. I once bought a bag of mushrooms from him. The first time I ate raw mushrooms; delicious.

Parched peas and treacle toffee were expected standard fair around the bonfire on Nov 5th, always made by the local women, i.e. my mum and my mates' mums.

The cockle man would come into the pubs in the 1970s with basket on arm selling cockles, prawns, mussels. I once bought a bag of mushrooms from him. The first time I ate raw mushrooms; delicious.

aye friday nite in the Original Ship Inn in Towngate , Leyland. 6th pint of Lion Ales Mild (electric pumps) and a tub of cockels...then a good fight with the North Enders outside Leyland Garage (Fords).

them were the days....no cctv....cheap ale ....and plenty of loose birds.

BRING BACK THE COCKLE MAN

Edited by preston blue

Quite right too. It seems that the French have more about them than us these days. The French wont be bullied and duped like we are.

Perhaps many animals are quite "glad" to be given a sharp knife to put them to death given what the British Factory farming industry does to them.

Factory farming cows

Factory farming hens

Factory farming turkeys

factory farming ducks

Factory farming pigs

It's not the death that's cruel, it's the life.

Edited by colin
  • Like 2

Guest andrewpickup

Perhaps many animals are quite "glad" to be given a sharp knife to put them to death given what the British Factory farming industry does to them.

Factory farming cows

Factory farming hens

Factory farming turkeys

factory farming ducks

Factory farming pigs

spot on colin

i went to purnells in bham on sat it was sublime

Factory farming cows

Factory farming hens

Factory farming turkeys

factory farming ducks

Factory farming pigs

I've no argument with that other than humane killing should be practised at all times in this country. Rather than employ diversionary tactics please outline your objections to that Colin.

As for those diversionary points consider the situation ........

1. The great British housewife demands cheap food (btw food is too cheap by far in the UK.... it's so cheap that approx 30% goes direct from supermarket trolley to wheelibin uneaten! Hows that for a spoilt society?)

2. The supermarkets demand huge profits and don't care how they are made except to put stipulations in place so that should any food scares / human issues arise they can always pass the buck and wash their hands of the issue.

3. The Government is scared sh1tless of inflation and will sanction anything to avoid it.

4. After all these snouts in the trough the farmer and his family need to make a living from the left overs or there simply won't be any farmers. And that would lead to very very dangerous ground for any nation.

Please rem Colin that should the Third Reich be resurrected and we find ourselves surrounded by U Boats intent in cutting off imports that 40% of the nation would starve to death! Simple fact and a sobering thought eh? In fact a Doomwatch issue if there was one. Despite all this factory farming which you object to so readily, and taking into account the millions of immigrants that you defend so readily the simple fact of the matter is that our agriculture simply cannot feed our population without cheap imports from overseas! And from frequently unregulated factory farms (and sweatshops)!

Good job that we are snuggling up so cosily politically and militarily with Uncle Sam across the Globe I'm sure you will agree.

Now in future I'd like you to change the habit of a lifetime and try to employ a modicum of thought before you post so glibly and irresponsibly.

Edited by thenodrog
  • Like 3

Factory farming cows

Factory farming hens

Factory farming turkeys

factory farming ducks

Factory farming pigs

What a totally naive response,

Are you going to stop buying all those products and pay top dollar for everything so the farmers can make a living?

Answers on a post card, or more likely a postage stamp.

If you want to stop these production processes stop buying the products and pay the price

;)

What a totally naive response,

Are you going to stop buying all those products and pay top dollar for everything so the farmers can make a living?

Answers on a post card, or more likely a postage stamp.

If you want to stop these production processes stop buying the products and pay the price

;)

I, for one, do. It hardly costs any more. It would cost even less if more people did (economies of scale and all that).

You blatantly know nothing of the subject. Neither does the theno...although he wonderfully squeezed immigration into the subject. Nice one. :rolleyes:

Edited by LeChuck

I, for one, do. It hardly costs any more. It would cost even less if more people did (economies of scale and all that).

You blatantly know nothing of the subject. Neither does the theno...although he wonderfully squeezed immigration into the subject. Nice one. :rolleyes:

Actually I do know, I live in rural france and pay more for food than you do because it is produced by local farmers, you on the other hand actually know nothing as demonstrated by your economies of scale comment, would you like to expand on that?

;)

I don't expect you to know this of course LeChuck but for the benefit of others it's fact that the worlds population has DOUBLED since Nov 22 1963 when Kennedy was assassinated. Thats less than half a century! So accepting that as fact then how tf do you think they are all going to be fed without employing modern farming methods?

I'd gladly read your thoughts on the subject if you care to offer them rather than simply gobbing off indiscriminently. I won't be holding my breath though.

btw adopt total organic / free range production in the UK and 50-60% would starve given the scenario that I outlined.

Edited by thenodrog
  • Like 1

Guest andrewpickup

Actually I do know, I live in rural france and pay more for food than you do because it is produced by local farmers, you on the other hand actually know nothing as demonstrated by your economies of scale comment, would you like to expand on that?

;)

where farming tends to be more ethical

its really not that difficult to incorporate it into our lives nor is it expensive, and ive lived in rural spain so lahh de daaaa

where farming tends to be more ethical

its really not that difficult to incorporate it into our lives nor is it expensive, and ive lived in rural spain so lahh de daaaa

Dis you know that the French use more pesticides than any one else?

Dis you know that the French use more pesticides than any one else?

Andrew Pickup....

"where farming tends to be more ethical".....Have you even heard of Foie Gras? :rolleyes:

"nor is it expensive" ......Do you know that the French farmers have historically have consistently and continually taken the giant's slice out of Eu agricultural subsidies? Small wonder it's cheap is it? <_<

Edited by thenodrog