BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Guest andrewpickup

Andrew Pickup....

"where farming tends to be more ethical".....Have you even heard of Foie Gras? :rolleyes:

"nor is it expensive" ......Do you know that the French farmers have historically have consistently and continually taken the giant's slice out of Eu agricultural subsidies? Small wonder it's cheap is it? <_<

yes and im all for it as its an industry which is greatly improving its processes and apart from the force feeding process the geese live a better life than the asda chickens most people have on the table

its a wasted argument with people like you as you are clearly obsessed with nationalism and not much else

I've no argument with that other than humane killing should be practised at all times in this country. Rather than employ diversionary tactics please outline your objections to that Colin.

As for those diversionary points consider the situation ........

1. The great British housewife demands cheap food (btw food is too cheap by far in the UK.... it's so cheap that approx 30% goes direct from supermarket trolley to wheelibin uneaten! Hows that for a spoilt society?)

2. The supermarkets demand huge profits and don't care how they are made except to put stipulations in place so that should any food scares / human issues arise they can always pass the buck and wash their hands of the issue.

3. The Government is scared sh1tless of inflation and will sanction anything to avoid it.

4. After all these snouts in the trough the farmer and his family need to make a living from the left overs or there simply won't be any farmers. And that would lead to very very dangerous ground for any nation.

Please rem Colin that should the Third Reich be resurrected and we find ourselves surrounded by U Boats intent in cutting off imports that 40% of the nation would starve to death! Simple fact and a sobering thought eh? In fact a Doomwatch issue if there was one. Despite all this factory farming which you object to so readily, and taking into account the millions of immigrants that you defend so readily the simple fact of the matter is that our agriculture simply cannot feed our population without cheap imports from overseas! And from frequently unregulated factory farms (and sweatshops)!

Good job that we are snuggling up so cosily politically and militarily with Uncle Sam across the Globe I'm sure you will agree.

Now in future I'd like you to change the habit of a lifetime and try to employ a modicum of thought before you post so glibly and irresponsibly.

Can't really take issue with any of that.

I think there's a big problem with people not caring how the meat gets to their table, they're quite happy not to give it a second thought. Which is probably also why people are happy enough to chuck food away, they've not been in a situation where food has been at a premium.

Also, if people knew the provenance of the burgers and hot dogs they were eating at McDonald's/ the cinema etc they'd probably puke it up on the spot. Alternatively, if people were told they could eat as much meat as they liked, but they had to slaughter their own animals, then you'd probably see rates of vegitarianism soaring.

As far as I'm aware, the human body was only designed to eat a modicum of meat, so I think we should all be eating less anyway. If we all regarded meat as a treat, rather than a disposable product that's 2-a-penny, and concentrated on a healthy diet then half of these problems would disappear. Dare I say it, the NHS would probably be grateful as well?

And I think I read somewhere that the optimum population of the UK was 30 million.

Has anybody been to the Fisherman's Retreat in Ramsbottom? Thinking of taking the old dear for Mother's Day!

Back on topic

I was told recently, that its gone significantly downhill, and the prices remain high. I went about 6 months ago and decided not to eat in the end, as the place was swarming with kids running around the place.

Be interested to know what you think should you go, because it’s a great setting, pity if the food is poor.

I went to The Toby in Edgeworth last night.

We had to wait for a table, which I don’t mind, but once served I wasn’t overly impressed with the food. It was ok but I’d not go out of my way to visit again.

Garlic bread

Fish soup

Mushrooms with spinach and parmesan cheese

Chicken and mushroom risotto

Greek style Pizza

Glass of wine

Peroni

£52

Can't really take issue with any of that.

I think there's a big problem with people not caring how the meat gets to their table, they're quite happy not to give it a second thought. Which is probably also why people are happy enough to chuck food away, they've not been in a situation where food has been at a premium.

Also, if people knew the provenance of the burgers and hot dogs they were eating at McDonald's/ the cinema etc they'd probably puke it up on the spot. Alternatively, if people were told they could eat as much meat as they liked, but they had to slaughter their own animals, then you'd probably see rates of vegitarianism soaring.

As far as I'm aware, the human body was only designed to eat a modicum of meat, so I think we should all be eating less anyway. If we all regarded meat as a treat, rather than a disposable product that's 2-a-penny, and concentrated on a healthy diet then half of these problems would disappear. Dare I say it, the NHS would probably be grateful as well?

And I think I read somewhere that the optimum population of the UK was 30 million.

Thank you for that Bryan. Funny how some cannot manage to grasp basic issues.

yes and im all for it as its an industry which is greatly improving its processes and apart from the force feeding process the geese live a better life than the asda chickens most people have on the table

its a wasted argument with people like you as you are clearly obsessed with nationalism and not much else

Let them eat cake eh Andrew? :rolleyes: You are so bloody gormless that you are beyond redemption.

What a totally naive response,

Are you going to stop buying all those products and pay top dollar for everything so the farmers can make a living?

If you want to stop these production processes stop buying the products and pay the price

Yoda,

Not a naive response at all

I don't buy those products. It's not difficult, nor is it particularly expensive. You could do it too.

It's just a matter of being particular and, dare I say it, actually "giving a damn."

Perhaps too many people don't.

Guest andrewpickup

Let them eat cake eh Andrew? :rolleyes: You are so bloody gormless that you are beyond redemption.

ok ill live my life out of the pages of the daily mail like you , you massive racist. ever spent much time out of the north west?

.... you massive racist. ever spent much time out of the north west?

Nationalist? Racist? Those are cheap shots andrew. Resorting to immature insults and slurs doesn't really add much gravity to your arguments does it? It does however give everybody a revealing insight into your character.

Yoda,

Not a naive response at all

I don't buy those products. It's not difficult, nor is it particularly expensive. You could do it too.

It's just a matter of being particular and, dare I say it, actually "giving a damn."

Perhaps too many people don't.

If people voted for their feet, things would change because they'd be no money to be made out of it.

I'm quite happy to eat only a small amount of meat.

I think people don't want to know how their burger came to be on their plate, or how they were able to buy their Christmas turkey so cheaply. Maybe the meat fairy plucked it off the meat tree for them.

i don't know what people are thinking about animal welfare or food quality when they're tucking into their 99p burger.

Plan to hit sweet mandarin next time I am down, any experiences?

http://www.onionring...cle.asp?NID=435

What more can you say. Went about 2 years ago and had no probs getting in without booking but now ?? ..Evening only and you choose a sitting when booking..Not too far from the Printworks ,Band on the Wall area in Manchester

This restaurant thread has played another blinder with this tip - so thanks to both of you. Sweet Mandarin, 3 mins from Victoria station.

A couple of reasons why I wouldn't usually choose to eat here - (1) Whilst I enjoy Chinese food, it's not my first choice (when there is a choice) ... and (2) I have two well established favourites now in Manchester (El Rincon de Rafa and the Armenian Tavern), so it just feels wrong not to eat at one or the other of those two fantastic places. And (3) ... surely the best Chinese food in Manchester or any city - would be in Chinatown????

But tonight was to see Dizzee Rascal (he's a rascal) so proximity to Victoria station / MEN was the main factor, so we checked out this thread and a couple of reviews and gave Sweet Mandarin a whirl.

Best Chinese food I've eaten in a decade. The main thing was the veg, it was fresh and well cooked, and just jumped out of my sizzling pork dish ... so many times Chinese food gets bogged down by soggy veg and gloopy sauce but this did the opposite.

We were served our starter within 5 mins of ordering - 1 starter, 2 mains, 2 rice and a bottle of wine was ~40 quid - attentive, polite, efficient staff - I haven't got a bad word to say about this one.

Guest andrewpickup

Nationalist? Racist? Those are cheap shots andrew. Resorting to immature insults and slurs doesn't really add much gravity to your arguments does it? It does however give everybody a revealing insight into your character.

it just shows that ive digested your opinions and frankly you are a f##kwit.

now leave it at that, dont bore me with a reply

it just shows that ive digested your opinions and frankly you are a f##kwit.

now leave it at that, dont bore me with a reply

More insults. A charming little keyboard warrior aren't you?

Thanks for confirming my earlier appraisal of your internet persona.

This restaurant thread has played another blinder with this tip - so thanks to both of you. Sweet Mandarin, 3 mins from Victoria station.

A couple of reasons why I wouldn't usually choose to eat here - (1) Whilst I enjoy Chinese food, it's not my first choice (when there is a choice) ... and (2) I have two well established favourites now in Manchester (El Rincon de Rafa and the Armenian Tavern), so it just feels wrong not to eat at one or the other of those two fantastic places. And (3) ... surely the best Chinese food in Manchester or any city - would be in Chinatown????

But tonight was to see Dizzee Rascal (he's a rascal) so proximity to Victoria station / MEN was the main factor, so we checked out this thread and a couple of reviews and gave Sweet Mandarin a whirl.

Best Chinese food I've eaten in a decade. The main thing was the veg, it was fresh and well cooked, and just jumped out of my sizzling pork dish ... so many times Chinese food gets bogged down by soggy veg and gloopy sauce but this did the opposite.

We were served our starter within 5 mins of ordering - 1 starter, 2 mains, 2 rice and a bottle of wine was ~40 quid - attentive, polite, efficient staff - I haven't got a bad word to say about this one.

Are the menu prices vindicative of Lancashire menu prices these days,

Might be worth coming back and starting a new outlet!

;)

had another good un last night at the spice lounge.fanbloodytastic.

Do you have to book on Friday or Saturday night ABBEY,

Might give it a try on the 18th

Does anybody know if the Intack and Knuzden con club is sill for sale?

Microwaved snap

Must of been! It was crap!

We just wanted some good pub grub, and couldnt think of too many local places so ended up trying their - it was half price steak night too (which wasnt too bad) but the majority of it was poor!

Houghton Arms - AWFUL!

It's HOGHTON.

Must of been! It was crap!

We just wanted some good pub grub, and couldnt think of too many local places so ended up trying their - it was half price steak night too (which wasnt too bad) but the majority of it was poor!

It's MUST HAVE.