BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Where is the evidence that it is retired and semi retired people who are objecting? I resent that sort of unsubstantiated crap. I am retired and would welcome a restaurant of that quality in my area.

Well I am very happy you would like a restaurant of this calibre in your local area! I know because for one I live across the road so know the demographics, two; I have read many a rejection letter through the planning portal of the BwD website and know the people or know of those objecting and three; I would not state it unless it was true! Happy?

This may seem harsh but I really do not care much for those local businesses complaining about the Tesco! It serves my purpose with better deals in tough economic times, excellent parking, longer opening times, no chavs stood outside, security cameras, fresh food and many other winning factors! As times get tougher I am looking after myself and immediate family! You may disagree but that Is how it is; plus it has a free cash machine! Best thing that could have happened to that building! Again, this is just my opinion!

Well I am very happy you would like a restaurant of this calibre in your local area! I know because for one I live across the road so know the demographics, two; I have read many a rejection letter through the planning portal of the BwD website and know the people or know of those objecting and three; I would not state it unless it was true! Happy?

No.

While I know this isn't a Tesco thread I'd agree with Colin. Recently we've taken to using Booth's and have been supporting our local farm shop for many years. We now go to Tesco or similar once in 3-4 weeks to get the stuff they do really cheap, Booth's for the weekly shop where quality is far superior, the experience more pleasant and surprisingly prices about the same and the local farm shop for our meat - again quality and experience is vastly superior to Tesco et al.

I hope the Oyster and ???? is a success, much will depend on perceived price and value. Ribble Valley Inns, whom I presume the Oyster people are imitating, aren't doing so well at present. We've been a few times of late and been surprised how quiet they are. I haven't been in the C&B for months as it was far too busy. The Oyster will need to strike the right balance or risk being hugely succesful before tailing off to become an also ran.

While I know this isn't a Tesco thread I'd agree with Colin. Recently we've taken to using Booth's and have been supporting our local farm shop for many years. We now go to Tesco or similar once in 3-4 weeks to get the stuff they do really cheap, Booth's for the weekly shop where quality is far superior, the experience more pleasant and surprisingly prices about the same and the local farm shop for our meat - again quality and experience is vastly superior to Tesco et al.

I hope the Oyster and ???? is a success, much will depend on perceived price and value. Ribble Valley Inns, whom I presume the Oyster people are imitating, aren't doing so well at present. We've been a few times of late and been surprised how quiet they are. I haven't been in the C&B for months as it was far too busy. The Oyster will need to strike the right balance or risk being hugely succesful before tailing off to become an also ran.

I use the Tesco at feniscxowles for additions to the weekly shop! The main food shop is undertaken at sainsburys whilst our meat is purchased at farm shops also; including Huntleys, Barton Grange, Hoghton Tower and the one heading towards Brindle!

Oyster and the Otter it will named. I must disagree Paul, everytime I have been the Clog which is in excess of 25 times it has been very busy; including last week!

Back to topic though; I visited Mr Freds last week and the food was excellent! Shame we where one of only 3 tables in the restaurant!

I use the Tesco at feniscxowles for additions to the weekly shop! The main food shop is undertaken at sainsburys whilst our meat is purchased at farm shops also; including Huntleys, Barton Grange, Hoghton Tower and the one heading towards Brindle!

Oyster and the Otter it will named. I must disagree Paul, everytime I have been the Clog which is in excess of 25 times it has been very busy; including last week!

Back to topic though; I visited Mr Freds last week and the food was excellent! Shame we where one of only 3 tables in the restaurant!

I was thinking of Ribble Valley Inns as a group. I haven't been to the C&B for a while but have been surprised to simply walk in to the others on a Friday night and get a table without a wait of any sort.

I don't agree with the majority of stuff you post but I do with this. :tu:

Very good value if you want filling up but most of the dishes become a little too 'steamed' imo.

Maybe steamed to keep them warm. Ironically, when you go the far east, malaysia for example. It will be rare to buy a curry 'pan hot'. Spicy hot, yes. May have something to do with the climate. But I often find that if I have an Indian takeaway and cannot finish it. It always seems to taste beter the following day.

Quite a few asians use the place themselves - so food must be ok.

I think that needs better publicity. I've dined at Stanley House but I haven't been to Mr Freds yet but I will. I've not heard anything but good reports about it. Also I'm about ready to move on from the Clog as a 'nothing on so what shall we do tonight' fall back now. The menu is becoming tedious.

Quite a few asians use the place themselves - so food must be ok.

Lovely surroundings, traditional dishes, lamb cooked on the bone etc, local and cheap. Perfect for them.

Head O'The Marsh Farm

Superb meat. I can recommend it.

Great range of sausages too! Try as I might to like lincoln / apple / cumberland / spicy etc etc the traditional pork is the best.

Other side of town and the sausages in Mellor Post Office top the lot in these parts! Tasty and hardly any fat in the grill pan when they are cooked.

• Backroom

This may seem harsh but I really do not care much for those local businesses complaining about the Tesco! It serves my purpose with better deals in tough economic times, excellent parking, longer opening times, no chavs stood outside, security cameras, fresh food and many other winning factors! As times get tougher I am looking after myself and immediate family! You may disagree but that Is how it is; plus it has a free cash machine! Best thing that could have happened to that building! Again, this is just my opinion!

Yep it's good for the area in general the Tesco, and this new Oyster and Otter could be great, my in laws live just opposite a bit further down and are looking forward to it, the brother in law and his girlfriend especially. There's also a mighty fine new hairdressers in the area if I do say so myself (the wife runs it :P )

Back on topic, we are going to a place called Malthouse Farm (I think) in Whittle Le Woods at the end of January, menu looks half decent.

Edited by TCO

We tried Piccolinos in Clitheroe the other week and not impressed.

Had a drink at the bar first and felt we were getting rushed into ordering and shown to our table. Started was very nice however the service was pretty slow, we were waiting for over an hour in-between starter and main course, and ordering drinks at the table was slow.

Main course finally came and wasn't exactly hot.

Head O'The Marsh Farm

Superb meat. I can recommend it.

Great range of sausages too! Try as I might to like lincoln / apple / cumberland / spicy etc etc the traditional pork is the best.

The sausages they sell at Head o'th Marsh actually come from Ye Olde Sausage Shop at Ossy Mills. Agree they are excellent, pork and leek one of the best and I also like the pork and stilton. If you go and buy them "at source" at Ossy Mills you can also benefit from the deli counter in the same room, which sells fabulous home made butter from a local farm and a good selection of local cheese.

Head o'th Marsh isn't bad, but I think that the meat from Spout House Farm at Higher Wheelton is much better. I now buy 90% of all the meat I eat at home from Spout House, as well as the best free range eggs in the area (and we tried quite a few options before settling). As well as their own beef and lamb, they supply great free range poultry from PD Willacy of Poulton - this years and last years turkey came from there - fantastic. Their own lamb is of a quality I've never found before in this country, especially the spring lamb in March / April.

Best bit of advice I've ever picked up from this site was Spout House, thanks to Paul. They only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but I'm there every week.

Edited by Tris

Head o'th Marsh isn't bad, but I think that the meat from Spout House Farm at Higher Wheelton is much better. I now buy 90% of all the meat I eat at home from Spout House, as well as the best free range eggs in the area (and we tried quite a few options before settling). As well as their own beef and lamb, they supply great free range poultry from PD Willacy of Poulton - this years and last years turkey came from there - fantastic. Their own lamb is of a quality I've never found before in this country, especially the spring lamb in March / April.

Best bit of advice I've ever picked up from this site was Spout House, thanks to Paul. They only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but I'm there every week.

I only buy meat at Spout House if I rem when passing and it's open. Best thing Frank could do would be get his meat n stuff into Head o'th Marsh shop cos thats open all week.

btw you Chorley / Leyland types.... Best fruit and veg in the area by a country mile is at Pauls Farm just off Dunkirk Lane about 300yards past the turn onto Longmeanygate. Difficult to see from the road but well worth finding.

I went to The Three Fishes the other night, never been before and heard some decent reviews on the place.

Wasn't that busy but wasn't too sure whether I'd go back. Felt the food was quite expensive for what it was, even though it was a nice meal I had the fish and home made chips which was very nice, not too much batter on the fish.

Service was quite poor to be honest, staff seemed to be not that experienced. Brought the wrong food to our table, didn't know whether we ordered coffee/deserts.

Nice but won't be in a rush to go back.

I went to The Three Fishes the other night, never been before and heard some decent reviews on the place.

Wasn't that busy but wasn't too sure whether I'd go back. Felt the food was quite expensive for what it was, even though it was a nice meal I had the fish and home made chips which was very nice, not too much batter on the fish.

Service was quite poor to be honest, staff seemed to be not that experienced. Brought the wrong food to our table, didn't know whether we ordered coffee/deserts.

Nice but won't be in a rush to go back.

I've always been quite impressed with the Three Fishes. Maybe you just hit it on an off day. It is a bit pricey though.

I believe Thyme @ Sirloin and the Sirlion Pub have both closed. Anyone know if this is true?

I hope not, Thyme was one of my favourite local restaurants!

Been trying to book a table all weekend but the phone just ring's out, Hope it hasn't closed loved the place

I heard yesterday that it (sirloin) has shut. Billy Nelsen who owned the pub (not Thyme) passed away a couple of months ago and I understand that is the root cause of the problem. Whether illiquidity or something else I dont know.

Edited by thenodrog

Brian Nelson originally owned the Sirloin and as far as im aware passed it on to his lad Peter,

dont know if he still ownes it,according to the rumours whoever ownes it told the Thyme people

they wanted a further 10k a year rent.

This is a place for foodies so thought I'd share this one, Celeriac gratin:

Serves 6-8

one celeriac

one kilo potatoes

one onion

600 ml double cream

two garlic cloves

black pepper

rock salt

125 gm grated cheddar or as cheesy as you want it!!!

bunch parsely

peel and cut the celeriac and potatoes in to 1cm cubes

finely chop the onion

very finely chop the garlic

butter an oven proof dish, I like an earthenware wone with a lid

chuck everything in add cream and cheese, keeping some back to sprinkle on top,

season with pepper and salt

mix thoroughly

sprinkle remaining cheese on top

cook for 40-50 minutes at gas mark 6, keeping checking from around 35-40 minutes as it can get quite dark brown at the edges, which is just a visual thing

if covered remove the lid for the last ten minutes or so to turn golden brown

sprinkle on finely chopped parsley (remove stalks) and serve

serve with rocket and watercress salad

I found this at Christmas when looking for a veggie receipe for friends who were coming at New Year. As I read it I realised I had all the ingredients in the fridge and needed using up!!!! It proved so popular most of the carnivores wolfed it down. Made it again tonight and it's excellent, one of those receipes where the proportions don't matter a lot.

It works very well as a main dish but I think would go well with some rare cooked lamb chump chops or perhaps a good steak?

If cooked and then reheated the cream seperates, doesn't matter but looks a bit off if serving to guests

PS - unashamedly nicked off Jamie Oliver's website :D

Edited by Paul