BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Advertising On Brfcs

Okay, I posted something about this on Nicko's thread and belatedly realised it was not really the right place, so I am now setting up stall here - if it's okay.

I just want to know, particularly from the mods, but also from everyone else, how they feel about indirect/stealth advertising on BRFCS, which I think Nicko's thread could conceivably be called. Opening the discussion up, even if you don't think Nicko's thread is advertising (or you think it is but is great), how would you feel if such contribution from brands become the norm.

Nicko's thread is very popular because it offers info that many Rovers fans are after. However, I would argue that it is advertising - even if it is not exactly intrusive and it may not even be intentionally soliciting customers.

Once upon a time advertising was about selling a product. It was about expressly urging people to purchase by feting it - highlighting its technical superiority over its competitors. Now, the majority of advertising is about creating a brand identity, an image/idea, that envelopes all the brands products and is used to promote them.

Nicko's thread, thus, is advertising not because he is saying "buy my paper" but because he is personalising a brand image. He is helpful, humorous, interesting and crucially, interested in Rovers - a pleasant human persona to a newspaper that most would disparage without a care's thought, normally. Whether his paper know it or not, his being a regular contributor on this board with titbits is good business. Sure, involvement at a club with a much larger fanbase would be even better for the paper.

Nicko's paper is undoubtedly seen in a better light than before he arrived.

Which begs the question, do the majority see this as 100% good for the messageboard? A mutual benefit - we get free titbits, Nicko gets some and his paper's brand image is boosted and sales improve. Or do some people have concerns, like me, that this is advertising and should be kept in check.

In reply to Nicko, you posted this this morning.

"When we had Jorge Acuna on trial pre-season, JWilliams said that Rovers have an agreement with a Chilean agency which, I if I remember the quotes rightly, give Rovers first option on clients of theirs that become available.

I suspect that's what's happened here and the guy is on trial or is coming on trial. "

And then you have the nerve to have concerns. It doesn`t stop you posting on his thread or benefiting from it. You even have the time to look at the rules and tell us which one you think he is breaking. What the hell is your problem? Do you really crave attention that much?

This message board is considered one of the best around, a lot of that is do with the posters, most is to do with the unseen hard work the mods put in. Its this board that attracted Nicko. And its the better for it. I don`t care which paper he works for, be it the Sun, Mirror or Andrex.

If you have such genuine concerns, stop replying on his thread.

Idiot.

One cant help but feel that Nicko gets picked on by certain members, (not just rover 6) because of his popularity and the fact that he stolen their thunder. Look at the posters who have picked unnecessary arguments with him in the past, all love the attention been on them, and pretend to be in the “loop”. What Nicko has done to these “Pre-Madonna’s is take the attention away from them and sometimes provide us with information way before any other media sources catches wind.

To rover 6 don’t take this the wrong way ( much of the above wasn’t aimed at you ). however – you have the option like all of us to not read the thread, secondly it appears you may actually be on a wind-up.

What a load of rubbish rover6.

Nicko has made this board 20 times better since his arrival. Im busy at work and cant be sifting through endless posts which are pure speculation/made up. Ican now check every hour, click on nickos thread and find his updates.

Who cares if hes advertising or not? He needs to make a living. Plus if i want to buy the mirror or the people i have to get a train to prague (90 mins), spend 2 quid on a newspaper and we get it a day late here.

Simple

Thanks nicko

rover6...u need to get a life me thinks.

You dont half talk some arse sometimes.

If he was trying to drum up sales then i'm sure he would post "I've got loads of stories in the people, but you will have to buy it to find out."

As it stands it just looks like you're jealous because you arent getting the attention nowadays

I personally think it's great that he comes on here. It's exciting when information comes to us rather than us finding the information the same time as the world. The he's on his second thread just shows how popular it is with the majority. He might not always be right but when Nicko is right, he certainly lets us know!

The only problem I have with the thread is that too much dupilcate crap is on there which makes it hard to keep up with certain topics.

Could we not have a seperate forum called...'Nicko's Forum' where we can ask him stuff, he can tell us stuff and it can all go under their own categories.

I personally think it's great that he comes on here. It's exciting when information comes to us rather than us finding the information the same time as the world. The he's on his second thread just shows how popular it is with the majority. He might not always be right but when Nicko is right, he certainly lets us know!

The only problem I have with the thread is that too much dupilcate crap is on there which makes it hard to keep up with certain topics.

Could we not have a seperate forum called...'Nicko's Forum' where we can ask him stuff, he can tell us stuff and it can all go under their own categories.

Not sure he'd want to be operating like that - could be a "full time job".

How about just 2 threads: 1. Nicko Says (that'd be the one I read!!) and 2. Ask Nicko - he can then choose whether to read or reply to this or not depending on how busy he is!!

Anyway, Nicko, keep up the good work.

Nicko can hardly tell us in advance what his 'scoops' are before they're printed because then the info would be in the public domain and everyone else can nick his stories. He's not going to even slightly jeopardize his job for us.

However hardly anyone actually goes out and buys the paper specially. The day it's published someone on here just posts what's in the paper anyway.

Really don't see what point your making Rover6. Just sit back, enjoy a glass of CocaColatm and enjoy the thread.

Okay, I posted something about this on Nicko's thread and belatedly realised it was not really the right place, so I am now setting up stall here - if it's okay.

I just want to know, particularly from the mods, but also from everyone else, how they feel about indirect/stealth advertising on BRFCS, which I think Nicko's thread could conceivably be called. Opening the discussion up, even if you don't think Nicko's thread is advertising (or you think it is but is great), how would you feel if such contribution from brands become the norm.

Nicko's thread is very popular because it offers info that many Rovers fans are after. However, I would argue that it is advertising - even if it is not exactly intrusive and it may not even be intentionally soliciting customers.

Once upon a time advertising was about selling a product. It was about expressly urging people to purchase by feting it - highlighting its technical superiority over its competitors. Now, the majority of advertising is about creating a brand identity, an image/idea, that envelopes all the brands products and is used to promote them.

Nicko's thread, thus, is advertising not because he is saying "buy my paper" but because he is personalising a brand image. He is helpful, humorous, interesting and crucially, interested in Rovers - a pleasant human persona to a newspaper that most would disparage without a care's thought, normally. Whether his paper know it or not, his being a regular contributor on this board with titbits is good business. Sure, involvement at a club with a much larger fanbase would be even better for the paper.

Nicko's paper is undoubtedly seen in a better light than before he arrived.

Which begs the question, do the majority see this as 100% good for the messageboard? A mutual benefit - we get free titbits, Nicko gets some and his paper's brand image is boosted and sales improve. Or do some people have concerns, like me, that this is advertising and should be kept in check.

On the other hand...I used to purchase a paper daily in the hope for atleast a snippet of information regarding Rovers however now I just read Nicko's thread and only buy a paper on Saturdays, on the way to the game which you wont understand, and on Sundays.

So in answer to your question....no it is not advertising and you are speaking ###### as normal.

Nicko is the man!

Hes awesome. i mean what other journo would be happy to let fans know info on there clubs transfers?

Nicko has got respect from 97% of this forum and Rover6 i just think your jelous of this, stick to your acadamy thread.

I used to buy the Sun but i know buy the mirror because its better to read and has better sport also we can always ask Nicko what about this story in todays mirror and he will tell us the ins and outs, hes a legend.

LONG LIVE NICKO!!!!!!

I see your point Rover6, I think you might have added a touch of windup as well but it is a valid question.

I come here for others opinions on topics not really for 'news', I can get that from daily visits to other transfer rumour sites so I don't really care.

He is loved a great deal though and I fully expect him to become world president one day.

Guest Kamy100

Fully agree that Nicko contributions have been great.

Keep going mate and don't worry about the few people who have nothing better to do with their time than moan.

I for one appreciate his input and find it insightful, couldn't care less about the newspaper and it's not encouraged me to buy a copy (sorry Nicko!) but the sheer size of the thread must signify that it's good business for the messageboard?

Remember, it's a discussion forum, the rules, as I understand them, are policed loosely, so why can't everyone take the rough with the smooth, dive on in and have some fun? Skip the bits you don't like.

If rules are being broken the mods should step in and warn the offenders, simple as that.

Sorry, I'm trying not to turn this into a rant, but it's the kind of attitude of the idea that a public subscriber messageboard is the private dominion of the regular individuals that populate it whilst all other casual readers that don't post a thousand messages a day don't get a say in things, that's what really kills me about the speeling (sic) police on these boards.

Stealth advertising is rife all around the world (the Internet is really bad for it these days) so assuming Nickos involvement is tantamount to advertising (and lets be honest, this messageboard is surely not going to be responsible for selling thousands of additional copies? Small town club and all that) even if that's not his intention it would certainly appear as if the benefits far outweigh that aspect.

He's not waged any flame wars, from what I've seen only defends his own dignity, has acted like a human being so what's wrong with that?

Live and let live, something I've been learning the hard way lately....

Have you gone bonkers ? What moral high ground do you think you inhabit ?

Not only should you leave Nicko alone you should apologise right now. Nicko is the best read on here and you're wasting valuable last minute transfer deadline rumour monging. He's not overly pushing his employer, he's just hoping we appreciate it as much as he appreciates Rovers. Its not a money making scam its mutual appreciation.

All hail the Nicko ...

Nicko is an excellent, intelligent, straight to the point poster and one, I for certain enjoy reading. Gets the info to us first, gives us little bits of inside information that always make for an interesting read. His opinions are worth reading just because the guy knows exactly what he is talking about and knows how football teams work from the inside.

Reading his posts is a refreshing change from some of that tripe that gets posted on here at times. They also do not make me want to go out and buy any newspaper nevermind the Mirror or People.

Archived