BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Realistic Summer Moves

As an American, I'd love to see Bradley in the Prem, I think it'd be a great place for him to refine his talents and skills. As a Rovers fan, I'm not sold on him, and I having seen his NT form, I can't imagine he'd replicate his goal scoring streak in the prem. He's very streaky for the NT, and if that carries to the Prem, he could become a very frustrating player where his skill can be seen, but only realized in short spurts.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As an American, I'd love to see Bradley in the Prem, I think it'd be a great place for him to refine his talents and skills. As a Rovers fan, I'm not sold on him, and I having seen his NT form, I can't imagine he'd replicate his goal scoring streak in the prem. He's very streaky for the NT, and if that carries to the Prem, he could become a very frustrating player where his skill can be seen, but only realized in short spurts.

That's extremely well put and accurate. Nice post.

As for all this other speculation, I've seen a lot of good names thrown out. I just hope that whatever "war chest" we may have gets put to good sue by MH and the front office. Lord knows we have some gaps that need filling. And I mean in the squad, not with certain teams in the League Championship.

- Philipp Degen (Young Swiss international, right back, Borussia Dortmund)

- Sebastian Kehl (German international, Borussia Dortmund)

- Alexander Frei (Swiss goal machine, Dortmund)

Ok a fellow Dortmund fan I gather? If we were to nick anyone from Dortmund I would hope it would be Tinga, Mladen Petric and/or Florian Kringe. However these would probably be too expensive and would blow our budget all at once. The only thing going against Dortmund is that while they have dug themselves out of the excessive debt accrued from the great years of Amoroso, Ewerthon, Koller, Rosicky, etc in the early 2000's they are still not in the best of shape financially speaking.

As for your suggestions; In my eyes Frei hasn't asserted himself in Germany (bad injury the main culprit, but still) so I don't think he could do any better in England. Degen is far too erratic to be able to man Right back. But Kehl, I'd agree on. However with Rosicky gone and public opinion turning against Worns, Kehl along with Dede is one of the faces of the franchise so would be pretty hard to pry away. Plus he's just come back from a really bad injury where there were doubts he could come back to play at all.

- Johnny Heitinga (Dutch international, Ajax)

- Brede Hangeland (Norwegian international, Fulham - I doubt he'll want to stick around at Craven Cottage if Fulham gets relegated)

Heitinga is surely out of our range? Excellent prospect, but expensive. Hangeland is a really good player who has progressed a lot the last year or so, a good signing for most clubs - not sure we need him. Centre back though, defensive midfield at a stretch.

Central midfield - even with Vogel coming in, I reckon this is our weakest position. Mokoena is dire, the legend Tugay might retire, and Dunn and Reid are both injury prone. Possible targets:

- Sebastian Kehl (German international, Borussia Dortmund)

- Mark Bresciano (Australian international, Palermo)

- Tom Huddlestone (Spurs)

- James Harper (Reading)

Harper is a decent shout, but I think we should look to the next level if we're signing a midfielder now. Harper is very similar to Steven Reid, isn't he? I would welcome Huddlestone, but if he's the one midfield signing - Dunn / Bentley / Reid has to be sufficient attacking options. Are they?

As for Kehl, excellent player, but with Vogel in I would rather see a different type - or a younger version like Huddlestone. I like Bresciano too, allround midfielder..

Left wing - MGP has been pretty terrible this season. A new left winger should be a main priority, unless Peter/Treacy step up and make the cut.

- Moussa Dembélé (Belgian international, AZ)

- Jefferson Farfan (PSV)

A versatile winger would be brilliant, and now we want to see a player who can beat a man, we have one or two crossers as it is. I've always liked Farfan, he's got that raw ability.

Forwards - both McCarthy and Roberts might move on, which means that we could do with another striker, such as:

- Theofanis Gekas (Greek goal machine, Leverkusen)

- Alexander Frei (Swiss goal machine, Dortmund)

- Kevin Doyle (Reading)

Frei is probably out of reach, Doyle I am not sure about. Good player, but is he good enough? Clever runs, decent in all areas, might be a really good partner for Santa Cruz?

I love the transfer window, especially when there's money to spend.

Anybody like to try and name the second best right back in the Dutch League ? It's a while since the Dutch National team had a class Right ( Or Left) back.

To be honest other then Brazil and Argentina I struggle with naming 2 or 3 class right and left backs for any country.

Also to the lad who named Heitinga (who plays right back for the dutch team:)), he has just agreed a move to Atletico Madrid

Did anyone on here watch England U21s last night? Very poor game - but for me there was one player for Poland that stood out like a sore thumb - Radoslaw Majewski. He was an attacking midfielder who was very good on the ball. Looked like the sort of creative midfielder we should be looking at - and as he plays in Poland he wouldn't be too expensive. I think they mentioned the most expensive footballer to leave Poland cost something like 3m.

Majewski

To be honest other then Brazil and Argentina I struggle with naming 2 or 3 class right and left backs for any country.

Also to the lad who named Heitinga (who plays right back for the dutch team:)), he has just agreed a move to Atletico Madrid

Italy , Spain & France have several nameable class full-backs

Talking about U21s, what do people think about Andy Keogh of Wolves? He's a guy that I've heard and read good things about as a creative forward. He hasn't however been particularly prolific for Wolves but is a promising Championship player.

I'd rather Rovers signed someone like him than paid a large fee for a player like Kevin Doyle. Kightly is another guy that stands out at Champ level.

Did anyone on here watch England U21s last night? Very poor game - but for me there was one player for Poland that stood out like a sore thumb - Radoslaw Majewski. He was an attacking midfielder who was very good on the ball. Looked like the sort of creative midfielder we should be looking at - and as he plays in Poland he wouldn't be too expensive. I think they mentioned the most expensive footballer to leave Poland cost something like 3m.

Majewski

He stood out for me as well, he looked very decent.

Really dull match overall i have to say.

Did Derbyshire play last night??

He came on as a sub during the 2nd half, but didn't get much chance to impress to be honest.

One England player than quite impressed me was Daniel Fox - a left-back - who had a fantastic delivery from corners.

Fox looked good, the right back looked rubbish though, Mancienne? lad from QPR i think?

Looked to me like the problem last night was that they weren't playing as a team, instead of playing a simple pass to set someone up for a goalscoring opportunity they instead tried taking it on themselves and it lead to nothing. O'hara on numerous ocassions could have set someone else up but instead went for an over-ambitious shot.

Fox looked good, the right back looked rubbish though, Mancienne? lad from QPR i think?

Looked to me like the problem last night was that they weren't playing as a team, instead of playing a simple pass to set someone up for a goalscoring opportunity they instead tried taking it on themselves and it lead to nothing. O'hara on numerous ocassions could have set someone else up but instead went for an over-ambitious shot.

I agree. Mancienne looked poor - kept hoofing it forward - and was nearly caught out badly at the end, when Poland should have scored. You're also right about not playing as a team, they were all trying to impress individually. O'Hara had a chance to win it late on, but for some reason went away from goal onto his weaker foot, rather than cutting in on his favoured left. We must be lacking in talented right sided players though, as they played Surman out there when Gardner went off. I've seen Adam Johnson play on the right, so don't know why he wasn't moved over there. He then played Mattock on the right of midfield - who was a left-back last time I saw him.

Gianluca Zambrotta (Barcelona & Italy)

Carlos Salcido (PSV & Mexico)

Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid & Spain)

Eric Abidal (Barcelona & France)

Philip Lahm (Bayern Munich & Germany)

Dario Srna - plays anywhere on the right side (Shaktar & Croatia)

Khaka Kaladze (AC Milan & Georgia)

Miguel (Valencia & Portugal)

There are a couple that are as good as anything about.

Talking about U21s, what do people think about Andy Keogh of Wolves? He's a guy that I've heard and read good things about as a creative forward. He hasn't however been particularly prolific for Wolves but is a promising Championship player.

I'd rather Rovers signed someone like him than paid a large fee for a player like Kevin Doyle. Kightly is another guy that stands out at Champ level.

:unsure:

I've seen him a fair bit for Wolves and our U21...the main problem is he can't score !!!

He gets into all the right places, looks good, but never does what a striker is meant to, i.e. put the ball in the net.

I think we could waste 3m on somebody much better in the actual Eircom League of Ireland.

Have you ever heard of Conor Gethins rover6...was the year above me at national school and is playing in the Irish league with Finn Harps...now this lad has skill :)

Putting my Maltese bias aside, Mifsud from Coventry. I was sceptical about his move to the UK, but I think he has adapted to the game well. He would give us much needed pace.

Mifsud 5 goals in 7-1 win to Malta over some other small country...

Gianluca Zambrotta (Barcelona & Italy)

Carlos Salcido (PSV & Mexico)

Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid & Spain)

Eric Abidal (Barcelona & France)

Philip Lahm (Bayern Munich & Germany)

Dario Srna - plays anywhere on the right side (Shaktar & Croatia)

Khaka Kaladze (AC Milan & Georgia)

Miguel (Valencia & Portugal)

There are a couple that are as good as anything about.

I think you missed my point, can you name the second or third choice left back for Italy? I am speaking of depth at the fullback position not that there is no classy fullbacks around.

Italy , Spain & France have several nameable class full-backs

Italy - Zambrotta, Grosso, Maldini is retired, I struggle to name any others. I don't rate Panucci or Oddo very highly.

Spain - Ramos, but I don't see any depth at wingback

France - I forgot about France, Clerc, Abidal, Clichy, Reveillere, plenty of classy depth.

Add France to Argentina and Brazil.

Archived