BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Realistic Summer Moves

TCJ i think you may of been wrong on Benni wanting out!

How about bringing back Bellamy in summer or maybe a move for Ashton??

Aside from Ashton being totally unrealistic, he and Santa Cruz would make a really crap partnership.

And it's may HAVE, not 'of'. Pisses me off so much that does.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody with pace would be a start. I've said it before but whose the fastest player at the club? Warnock, Roberts or Emerton I'm guessing? Now Roberts is the only attacking player there and unfortunately along with his pace he's got a pretty average touch, and doesn't have the ball control to take on players. I said it in the match thread, but we don't have one impact player to bring on. Derbyshire's about the best we have, but if Benni has to play at all then he has to start. He's not the kind of player to come on and get gradually into the game.

Sorry bit of a rant there, but a summer move for a pacey forward with a half decent touch, and a winger should be high on our list of priorities. RSQ along with a Bellamy esque type player would be an awesome combination.

Then again our centre midfield and centre halve combinations aren't looking too fruitful right now :unsure:...now just to find the £15-20 million needed to get us prepared for a realistic assault for the top 6 next season.

Aside from Ashton being totally unrealistic, he and Santa Cruz would make a really crap partnership.

And it's may HAVE, not 'of'. Pisses me off so much that does.

7. No Flaming

Whilst we ask users to take care with spelling and grammar, we also discourage people from constantly pointing out the spelling and grammatical errors of others. This also extends to any posts designed to insult or provoke, regardless of subject

Are you some sort of grammatical genius, a poet, a famous orator or someone who goes on a football website and sadly needs to pick up minuscule grammatical errors?

It’s a football website, not a site of academic excellence .

God a fit Bellamy would solve so many of our problems right now.

Absolutely. The first priority in the summer needs to be to find a high quality pacy forward, before even (although we definately need this too) a quality central midfielder.

Same problems again. We are a decent side as we have shown, but if we get pinned back we have no option on the counter attack.

If Bentley goes we should be looking to replace him with pace also. If he stays there is a strong argument for signing a left winger with speed to challenge MGP.

The Premier League is dominated by pace, we are the only team in the top 12 or so clubs that lack it.

Number of 10Mil bandied around. In reality unless Sparky can pull off some real coups I don't see this being enough to get us to the next level, better than the amount in January for sure but 10 Mil does not get a whole lot of proven quality, I hope Hughes has some unearthed gems in mind.

Number of 10Mil bandied around. In reality unless Sparky can pull off some real coups I don't see this being enough to get us to the next level, better than the amount in January for sure but 10 Mil does not get a whole lot of proven quality, I hope Hughes has some unearthed gems in mind.

When have we ever bought proven quality? Never except for a short period from 92 til 97/98. And maybe the signings of Cole and Barry Ferguson outside of that.

If we move in the same market as we have done well in before- McCarthy, Santa Cruz, Bentley, Warnock, Nelsen etc - we can find the players we need.

To be honest these players who are supposed to be so awful have got us to a position where we are competing with Everton, Villa, Man City and Portsmouth all of whose squads cost 3 or four times our own.

We are not going to sign a Defoe or an Andy Johnson but that is the life we lead. And if you want to be pinickity about it you can argue that Cruz this season and McCarthy last season were every bit as good as those individuals.

If we move in the same market as we have done well in before- McCarthy, Santa Cruz, Bentley, Warnock, Nelsen etc - we can find the players we need.

You could say Benni and Santa were proven quality but on the european stage only. Hense why they were cheaper than established english/premiership proven players.

Hughes has a top scouting network and I think that £10m + sales would be enough for him to get in a few players he really wants and then allow him to wheel and deal with the rest.

As you said the teams with the large sums of money to spend haven't been that much better than us. It is maybe showing now that we are having a rubbish finish to the season but for the majority we have been as good as, if not better than them.

Charles N'Zogbia is looking to leave Newcastle in the transfer window - he's definitely one that I'd like us to have a look at. Would probably walk straight into the first XI as a left winger. I have a feeling he might be too expensive, though.

I also think we miss a traditional box-to-box workhorse central midfielder with the ability to actually pass the football to a team mate (something Reid seems to find hard nowadays). We had a reputation as a hard-working, physically tough team when we finished 6th two seasons ago, the physical game was something we did well (what with both Savage and Reid performing well regularly). Flair and creativity was delivered by MGP and Bents down both wings. To be honest, I think our midfield lacks balls, and we need someone who's not afraid to get stuck in. I believe two hard working central midfielders (Vogel, probably, being one of them) plus two gifted and creative wingers (Bentley and N'Zogbia, preferably) would be ideal for us.

The foolowing was in the paper inLondon Village this evening. Just thought I'd share...

Rovers plan Tonge move

Blackburn manager Mark Hughes is considering a £3million summer move for Sheffield United's Michael Tonge.

Hughes, who also admires Wigan's Jason Koumas, has kept close tabs on Tonge this season and is keen to lure him to Ewood Park.

Tonge has rediscovered his form since Kevin Blackwell became manager.

Sheffield United are also expecting bids for striker James Beattie with Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Blackburn and Portsmouth showing interest.

Charles N'Zogbia is looking to leave Newcastle in the transfer window - he's definitely one that I'd like us to have a look at. Would probably walk straight into the first XI as a left winger. I have a feeling he might be too expensive, though.

I also think we miss a traditional box-to-box workhorse central midfielder with the ability to actually pass the football to a team mate (something Reid seems to find hard nowadays). We had a reputation as a hard-working, physically tough team when we finished 6th two seasons ago, the physical game was something we did well (what with both Savage and Reid performing well regularly). Flair and creativity was delivered by MGP and Bents down both wings. To be honest, I think our midfield lacks balls, and we need someone who's not afraid to get stuck in. I believe two hard working central midfielders (Vogel, probably, being one of them) plus two gifted and creative wingers (Bentley and N'Zogbia, preferably) would be ideal for us.

I'd love N'Zogbia. He has that quality we're lacking - pace.

exiled, i agree...nzogbia is a quality young player. however, we can´t just buy players because they are quality...but we have to think where are they going to fit into the team?? i know that sounds strange but do you get what i am saying. i would presume that he would play as a left winger, which is fair enough...but wecan´t have 2 blokes like mgp and nzogbia on the same team.

We could make a move for De Pedro, Grabbi, Donis, the other Pedersens, Witchsge and Marcolin...that will give us some real quality!

Seriously, i'd love to think we could get Crouch but couldnt see him moving to us. Koumas, Tonge, Beattie etc simply wouldn't offer anything better than what we've got. I guess we'll have to trust Sparky to pick out a few more gems from the European market. If Bentley goes (which he probably will) then at least it gives us some cash to compete. I just hope we can pick up and sneak into the inter toto.

I'd also take N'Zogbia

Earlydoors yet and only on one viewing - but Olsson reminded me of N'Zogbia and looked farbetter going forward than at left back.

That Johnson at Boro is certainly one I would consider testing the water on.

As for Tonge - spooky I was thinking the other day what had happened to him.

I wouldn't get too depressed by that - I am now used to us being linked with a string of various mediocre players. (Not stating Tonge is mediocre - haven't seen him play for about 2 years so dont really want to pass judgement). If I remember correctly the media had us bringing in either Earnshaw or Beattie as our striking target last season - and then up popped Santa Cruz. It's always the same.

Thats the key for us - we make suprise moves, which can be frustrating as you dont know what is happening. But how many of us expected Bellamy, McCarthy or Cruz?

Hughes probably has his eye on some foreign unknown that will bag 20 goals next season. Hope we inject some pace, its something we lack.

Hughes probably has his eye on some foreign unknown that will bag 20 goals next season. Hope we inject some pace, its something we lack.

He's been mentioned before but Farfan of PSV looks awesome. Pacey and an eye for goal. He obviously won't come cheap-i heard rumours of £7 million mentioned, but I can't see one of the top four going for him so if we did somehow raise the cash then I'd imagine we'd have a half decent chance of getting him. The problem will be IF we do have the reported £10 million, then will Hughes invest it on one-two big signings-because that's roughly what it costs for proven quality, or three-four squad players?

A partnership of RSQ and Farfan certainly would have goals written all over it, but then our backline, central midfield and width needs investment too :unsure: .

The good thing about Farfan too is that he can play out wide. I don't think we have to inject pace up front as long as we add pace to the midfield. We have to have one or the other (although both would be nice). I still believe that RSQ and Benni can form a good pairing (they looked very good at the start of the season), they simply need a more productive midfield. I'd still like a pacey option up front, but I don't think an out-and-out speedster for up front is where we need to concentrate our money, which is why someone like Farfan would be good as he'd give us a bit of both.

Archived