BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who Should We Look To Offload This Summer?

We have a realistic summer move thread but I couldn't find one on who we should perhaps look to ship out a the end of the season, and it may just be that today's performance narked me so much but I honestly think that things are a bit stale in the camp and need freshening up. Today's performance just reinforced that.

The two immediate players that spring to mind are:

Gamst-Okay so there's a bad patch of form and then there's almost two seasons. The guy will still fetch a few quid in today's market, and although left midfielders are hard to come by, Gamst's battling displays are not enough.

Roberts-Benni's obviously staying, and I wouldn't mind betting that we'll be in for a striker, so Jason's the obvious one to go. A handful on his day, but if we could get £3 million for him then I reckon we should sell.

I think we'll also have to make way for a centre half, and maybe a central midfield player, so the likes of Reid, Dunn, Nelsen and Samba really should really be kept on their toes until the end of the season-but they're clearly not.

I know Hughes has always believed in continuity, and I do too to a certain degree, but I think this is the summer that we should let a few go in order to freshen things up. I've only mentioned two first team players, I mean Berner, Henchoz etc should all be realeased also, but if we're to stabilise our position in the top half and even build upon it then I reckon this is the summer to mix things up a bit.

...Now back to the diss :rock:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anybody is seriously thinking about offering money for Reid (I'd say anything from £2.5 million upwards) then I'd get rid of him ASAP. I'm not sure what he does anymore, he doesn't really contribute anything going forward and doesn't do enough defensive work to be considered the defensive midfielder.

OUTS:

Pedersen

Mokoena

Tugay

I don't want to get rid of Reid, because he was looking a very good player before his injury, but I'm not sure we can carry him right now.

I'd like to keep Samba because, while he hasn't performed particularly well this season, he showed so much promise.

Possible INS:

McFadden

Bullard

Ghaly

McFadden would cost a packet, especially if McLeish is still there and Bullard is over-rated. As for Ghaly is that the lad who had the tantram for Tottenham last year?? Id be disappointed with any of them 3.

Possible outs - Mokoena £29.99, Enckleman £500k, Gallagher £5.99, Roberts - £4m.

If anyone would offer anywhere near £5m for Nelsen then him too.

If anybody is seriously thinking about offering money for Reid (I'd say anything from £2.5 million upwards) then I'd get rid of him ASAP. I'm not sure what he does anymore, he doesn't really contribute anything going forward and doesn't do enough defensive work to be considered the defensive midfielder.

Reid is well out of sorts but I would keep him because he is a good character and a hard worker who will give his all. Nobody will pay decent money for him so we might as well stick with him and try to get him back to the top of his game. Not a lot to lose by that. If we can manage that it is a massive gain.

MGP for me should go if someone offers decent money (and someone might a la Taylor in his Pompey/Bolton move), and it is an absolute neccessity we sign someone who is decent who can take the left wing role whether or not he goes.

I was advocating the sale of McCarthy but I guess since he has signed a new contract that won't happen.

Mokoena, Berner, Gallager, Rigters, Enckleman all clearly don't have a future at the club so can leave.

Apart from that I wouldn't sell unless we have very good offers or the player desperately wants to go (I suspect Roberts might go on these grounds). Apparently we have 10m quid so that should be enough to get in the three or so players we need if we are canny.

Hughes needs to make some kind of clear strategi of how we are going to play, and buy players who fit into that system. The way we operate now is just embarrassing.

In my opinion we should adopt a more direct playing style. At the moment we do not have any pacy attacking players which clearly limits our counter-attacking play.

So to answer the question; Sell the likes of Gamst, Roberts, McCarthy and Emerton. We need a pacy left winger and striker while we can easily replace Emerton with a young cheep right back with a good football brain (which emerton clearly does not have)

IMO we need a new CM pair and a new right back.

The only dead cert we could do without is Mokoena.

Gamst is worth another season.

Emerton may be worth some cash if we bring in a RB or use Ooijer.

Roberts may actively seek a transfer again.

Tugay is too old now.

KEEP

KEEPERS

1 Friedel

32 Brown

33 Fielding

34 Nielsen

DEFENDERS

2 Ooijer

3 Warnock

4 Samba

6 Nelsen

7 Emerton

13 Khizanishvili

26 Nolan

28 Kane

29 Olsson

MIDFIELDERS

8 Vogel

11 Bentley

12 Pedersen

14 Reid

19 Dunn

22 Treacy

STRIKERS

9 Santa Cruz

10 McCarthy

17 Rigters

27 Derbyshire

SELL

5 Tugay

15 Mokoena

16 Henchoz

18 Gallagher

20 Berner

21 Peter

30 Roberts

31 Enckleman

BUY

Right-Back

Left-Winger

Creative Midfielder

Fast Striker

I can only see us getting about 5 million for those selling ones - so if Nickos 10m guess is right - that would give us 15m for the four "buys". We could always try and get Danny Simpson on loan from United - allowing us to get three 5m rated players in the other positions.

I would mainly agree with leftwinger on this one.

I don't understand people calling for emerton and gamst to go....emerton hasn't done so much wrong this season, apart from knocking us out of europe and as for mgp...we know he's a good player, he has potential, weve seen what he can do in the past so why would we sell him to our rivals? All mgp needs is some competition. Peter isn't the one so we need to sign someone who can compete with him. A fit harry kewell if on the cheap would be ok. Look how injury plagued players like dunn and santa cruz have been at ewood...we can work on kewell.

I don't see so much logic in letting mokoenna go either. We wouldn't get any money for him. I wouldn't want him starting but there are some games (for example YESTERDAY) which would be perfect for him. I still think hes good at protecting the back 4 and is criticised too much on here. I worry more about Samba who i just look at and can tell we had the wool pulled over our eyes a bit with his early performances. I think he played/looked a bit too good and now we are seeing his true game. He couldn't get in the Hertha Berlin team, they are rubbish and i knew there must have been a reason. Zurab for me anyday.

Also 'rigters has no future here'...ok he hasn't had a chance. He's young and has potential and is developing. Give him time, look how we groomed derbyshire and i remember being at ewood for mgp's debut and we couldn't believe our eyes he looked so out of his depth. 6 months in the wilderness and he came back on fire.

I don't see so much logic in letting mokoenna go either. We wouldn't get any money for him. I wouldn't want him starting but there are some games (for example YESTERDAY) which would be perfect for him. I still think hes good at protecting the back 4 and is criticised too much on here. I worry more about Samba who i just look at and can tell we had the wool pulled over our eyes a bit with his early performances. I think he played/looked a bit too good and now we are seeing his true game. He couldn't get in the Hertha Berlin team, they are rubbish and i knew there must have been a reason. Zurab for me anyday.

Mokoena has more than once stated his desire for first team football and he said he would look at moving to do that. My main problem with him is he can't pass and takes all the momentum out of our attacking moves. Although Reid has done a good job of trying to go down the same road in the last couple of games. I would think that Vogel will push Mokoena further away from the first team and some championship team will come in for him.

Samba has had a shaky second half to the season but all in all he is superb. All defenders make mistakes, it's just he has the pace to recover from them. Zurab did ok when he came in but it says a lot that he can't get in ahead of a guy who couldn't get in the Hertha Berlin team ;)

get rid of emerton-why???

hes done well this season.his energy levels are spot on, he can play in number of positions, and is probably the quickest player we have-he also handles very quick wingers very well..

as for reid-hes made 15 appearances after a serious knee injury and people expect him to be back to his best-theres a reason why he was linked with man utd and spurs years ago-because when fit hes a good player..this season for me is about him getting games and feeling is way back into the team-next season i fully expect him to be the player he was..

i do think we need a right back to challenge emerton - but not to get rid of him..

add 2 midfielders too reid, dunn , vogel(again this season is getting games) i think that will be a decent midfield for next season..

a pacey striker is needed-shame defoe is at pompey..

we could look at the top 4 and see if theres any players we could get on loan-ie diaby or walcott or lucas.(none of those start alot in the league-here they would)

Sell Emerton? He has been quality this season and against quick wingers is exactly what we need. Ooijer also cannot play right back against quick wingers.

I think Dunn is poor and still cant quite understand why we brought him back.

Hughes needs to make some kind of clear strategi of how we are going to play, and buy players who fit into that system. The way we operate now is just embarrassing.

In my opinion we should adopt a more direct playing style. At the moment we do not have any pacy attacking players which clearly limits our counter-attacking play.

So to answer the question; Sell the likes of Gamst, Roberts, McCarthy and Emerton. We need a pacy left winger and striker while we can easily replace Emerton with a young cheep right back with a good football brain (which emerton clearly does not have)

I think your criticism of Emerton is unfair, but apart from that I agree. McCarthy will stay, but I think Roberts will go becuase he won't get assurances of first team football. MGP's future probably hinges on whether we can find real talent to come in on the wing. I am sure Hughes will be looking hard though!

Some interesting views on who should go.

Sadly, I think Tugay has to go. He has been wonderful and is the best 'footballer' I have seen in a Rovers shirt. If we qualigy for intertoto it may be worth keeping him to ease the workload that comes with the extra games. I would love to see him stick around as a coach or something, but as Hughes proved with Tony Parkes, there is no room for sentiment in the current set-up.

If somebody offers £3m for Reid I'd take it. He looks very unlikely to get back to where he was pre-injury. Perhaps, a good and thorough pre-season will change that. I think the bottom line is that Hughes likes Reid and my gut feeling is he will go nowhere.

Ther only ones I think should be offloaded really are Gallagher, Rigters and Henchoz. Berner is worth keeping as back-up. From those we are not going to recoup a substantial amount to splash in the summer.

I think we'll benefit from continuity. We have many who have underperformed, but next season we have a fresh start.

Just to echo what has been said about emerton, why would we want to get rid of him? He has been a revelation this last 12 months and is an outside candidate for player of the season in my opinion. Admittedly he had a mare against Liverpool, but so did everybody else. He is one of the few players we have with a bit of pace and actually runs with the ball.

As much as I want Pedersen to succeed, and he will always be a cult hero after the Burnley goal, he just isn't doing enough on the pitch. It might be worth selling him this summer while we can still get a decent amount of money for him. Wouldn't mind seeing a bid to bring Damien Duff back? There is also Johnson at Boro who is a quality left winger, England U21 player but in the shadow of Downing.

I rate Bullard but I remember a major reason he left Wigan was his desire to move back to London.

Get rid of Rigters - i saw enough against Coventry in the cup.

I think Dunn is poor and still cant quite understand why we brought him back.

I wouldn't agree with that. Over the season he has been our most effective midfielder apart from Bentley. Sadly his injuries have shown up again recently. I would say his future is assured as an impact player. Good option on the bench as he can play anywhere across midfield. For me Pedersen, Mokoena, Tugay and Reid are all closer to the door than Dunn.

Wow, please join my sales force immediately!

SELL

5 Tugay

15 Mokoena

16 Henchoz

18 Gallagher

20 Berner

21 Peter

30 Roberts

31 Enckleman

Four of those are out of contract this summer.

We have plenty of dusty Maltese fresh air I am sure you can find a good price for!

Archived