BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who Should We Look To Offload This Summer?

Problem is it's all too easy to say who we should get rid of. The difficulty is replacing them with players who will hit the ground running in the premiership at the right price who will be willing to come to Blackburn without the attraction of European football. Additional complication is that our squad does not carry enough genuine first team members as it is so the kind of cull some of you are talking about will leave us very short. We need to be very careful when we start thinking about a clear out that there really are replacements ready and available. Having said that I'd ditch players like Gallagher immediately, with or without a decent fee.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simon Davies at Fulham is consistently one of Fulham's best performers (not always saying alot) and would either provide cover for Bentley (currently completely lacking as Reid / Emerton are both inept in a wide forward position) or even replace him if he goes.

Wow, please join my sales force immediately!

SELL

5 Tugay

15 Mokoena

16 Henchoz

18 Gallagher

20 Berner

21 Peter

30 Roberts

31 Enckleman

Tugay - veteran midfielder of immense skill and vision. If he played chess, he wouldn't just beat Deep Blue, he'd leave it a small, metallic puddle. This guys scores goals so spectacular you need shades to protect your eyes from the brilliance. Comes with free invisible friend.

Mokoena - world-renowned former Ajax defender is South Africa's captain and most capped player in the history of said top African side. Equally comfortable in defence or midfield, he is the prototype of a modern football; lithe as a gazelle, strong as a bear and skilful as a neurosurgeon. He has amply proven to the UK football public why he is nicknamed the "Axe", having hospitalised a plethora of opposition football players, fans and managers. Nevermind the Butcher of Bilbao, he is the Axemurderer of Ewood and he's coming to a bench near you.

Henchoz - The Swiss defender lead Liverpool to great cup triumphs and now represents a bargain for any aspiring Premier League club seeking a calm, experienced head in the backline or medical room.

Gallagher - A youngster with tremendous technical ability who needs only to play in a settled side to recapture the prodigious promise he showed to earn a 5 year deal at Blackburn. A Scotsman without a cap for Scotland, boys and girls, uniqueness doesn't do justice to his individuality.

Berner - solid, Swiss left back with bags of experience and a dependable left foot. A must have for any self-respecting squad except Coventry City because he is allergic to people called Michael Mifsud.

Peter - exciting German winger who was rewarded for blinding reserve showings by being called by the German U21 staff. Has a exceptional turn of pace and can cross a ball with unnerving accuracy. This guy is highly self-confident and has benefited from a number of years doing nothing.

Roberts - fast, strong and tough, this striker strikes fear into the heart of the best defenders. His stunning showings for Wigan earned him a transfer to Rovers. Think Shefki Kuqi crossed with Emile Heskey and that is Jason Roberts, on a good day.

Enckelman - tucked away from the football spotlight since moving to Rovers, the Finn needed only a handful of games at new loaned club, Cardiff, to remind the world of his talent. Already, he has catapulted the Welsh side into a historic FA Cup final.

Bryan Hodge - he can hit the post when drunk, think what damage he'd do if sober.

Come on Steve Bruce, you know you want to.

• 4 weeks later...

As a club who cannot afford a massive squad who do we need to be rid of?

Dunn - I like Dunny, because of his club roots, but is he good enough for us?

Roberts - Just doesn't score enough & we are relying on Santa Cruz too much

Rigters - Well?

Pedersen - Can we afford to wait six months for him to find a bit of form?

Dunn has by far been our best central midfielder this season, so getting rid of him doesn't make much sense. Having said that, the only couple of players I would really like us to keep are Friedel, Santa Cruz and Bentley, the rest can easily be replaced.

There are few players in the squad that I would certainly move on. Bruno Berner's place as back up to Steven Warnock has been taken by Martin Olsson and should be sold. Henchoz could do a good job for some Championship teams and I like him too much to have him rotting in the reserves. Paul Gallagher has never lived up o his potential and if he hasn't made it into the first team by now, then he never will. Mokoena is another player that seems surplus to requirements, now that Vogel has joined. Maceo Ritgers could also leave, but I'd be tempted to hold onto him, put him out on loan and see what he could do. If he had another poor season, then he could leave. If Jason Roberts still wanted to leave, I wouldn't be heart broken. The guy is an absolute bull, has power and a bit of pace, but his finishing lets him down. If a team offered a couple of million for him, then I'd take it.

We need a right back, a creative midfielder, a left winger and a fast striker. If we could add quality in these positions then we could really improve.

Dunn has by far been our best central midfielder this season, so getting rid of him doesn't make much sense. Having said that, the only couple of players I would really like us to keep are Friedel, Santa Cruz and Bentley, the rest can easily be replaced.

Vogel's clearly quite good. Warnock, Ooijer, Zurab, Samba and Nelsen are all good players. Emerton is useful. Derbyshire has his moments (though his talents are much better served upfront!). After that though we're struggling.

No European football means we need to massively trim down our side, we should be looking at no more than 18-20 established players in the first team squad. Quality over quantity needs to be the priority this summer.

Keepers

Friedel

Brown

Defenders

Warnock

Ooijer

Zurab

Samba

Nelsen

<new right back>

Midfielders

Bentley

Vogel

Emerton

Dunn

Pedersen

<new central player>

Strikers

Santa Cruz

McCarthy

Derbyshire

<new pacey striker>

We really need younger players to start supplementing the first team squad, rather than having internationals like Henchoz, Berner and Mokoena sitting in the stands every week eating up thousands and thousands of our small budget. Should an injury crisis occur Nielsen/Fielding, Olsson, Kane, Rigters, Treacy, Peter etc. will have to step up.

So all that would mean Henchoz, Reid, Tugay, Mokoena, Berner, Roberts, Enckelman and Gallagher going this summer.

i think next season is the time we judge steven reid-after all he did have a career threatening injury..i think its unfair to question him,especially when he didnt play for 14months , and when he is playing right back..

he has a future for blackburn..and his future is in the heart of our midfield..

Hughes should get shut of the following:

Henchoz (passed his best)

Peter (always injured and has never produced)

Gallagher (serious attitude problem, not cut out to be a footballer)

Mokoena (not good enough)

Enkleman (top keeper needs 1st team footie at his age)

Berner (not need due to the imergance of Olsson)

Reid (if a good offer comes in sell him, total liability)

Hughes should give Tugay a new contract. Also I think we'll keep hold on Bentley.

give tugay a contract but sell reid? whats the logic in that..i know its your opinion but tugay cant offer rovers anything now..reid still can..

Agreed. Tugay has been exceptional for the club, but now is time for him to move on or retire. We need to look to the future & by freeing up his wages would allow a younger player in.

Reid was rushed back in, give him chance to get back to full fitness, that doesn't just happen. See how he fare's next season before selling him. He was quality before his injury, fingers crossed he works hard over the summer & we see his old self next season.

We desperately need some new blood in midfield. I think Tuagy we should let go, sell Mokoena and also Reid, if we get a decent enough offer. Probably let the likes of Enckleman, Henchoz, Berner & Gallagher leave as well. Roberts should also leave if we get any sor tof offer for him, we can't have a striker who fluffs so many chances if we wanna challenge for the top 6.

We should bring in James Harper and another central attacking midfielder along with a RB. Also a replacement for Roberts preferable a pacey, strong striker that can aslo finish.

Enckleman and Henchoz are out of contract. Berner is not good enough, Tugays legs have gone.

Gally, Mokoena and Roberts to leave for cash sales. Possibly Dunn and Reid as well.

Rigters out on loan all season to get some experience if he isnt sold as well.

i cant help but think that Reid looks terribly out of it...He doesnt look like a premiership player.I know he has been played out of position,but even when he has played in midfield,there is nothing about him that suggests he should be in the squad anymore.He was injured yes,but thats been quite a while ago,and he has been fit for a long time now,so that shouldnt be an excuse.I also dont think Hughes should be giving Tugay a new deal,i respect the guy tremendously and would love to see him in some coaching,or in a technical capacity at the club.

Enckleman and Henchoz are out of contract. Berner is not good enough, Tugays legs have gone.

Gally, Mokoena and Roberts to leave for cash sales. Possibly Dunn and Reid as well.

Rigters out on loan all season to get some experience if he isnt sold as well.

i agree mate, in that most of those players you have mentioned are expendable, however.....having such a firesale, would cause us more trouble than what we already have at the moment.

No European football means we need to massively trim down our side, we should be looking at no more than 18-20 established players in the first team squad. Quality over quantity needs to be the priority this summer.

So all that would mean Henchoz, Reid, Tugay, Mokoena, Berner, Roberts, Enckelman and Gallagher going this summer.

I don't follow that logic at all. Rovers have played the least amount of players this season in the premiership, and thats when we HAD european football!

We should be looking to slightly expand our squad in weak areas (ie. Central midfield, right back, left wing). Gally, Berner (now replaced by Ollson), Henchoz can all go without replacement as they are either already replaced or have had little little impact on the squad as a whole.

If Axe, Tugay, Roberts, Reid or any other first team player goes they must be replaced. We cannot afford a smaller squad over a 38 game season.

Oh and Blueboy is right. Huge turnover of players is rarely good for a club. Look at Newcastle, Man City, Spurs etc. We would have to be very careful about how many we chuck out the door and how quickly. You can easily destroy team spirit and the ethic.

Wouldnt offload any of Rigters, McCarthy or Pedersen as the latter 2 will come good again and the 1st is still developing and should improve into a good squad player.

I think you're really clutching at straws there Hughesy.

I think considering how young he is and how little we paid for him, it wouldn't hurt to keep Righters and maybe loan him out again (hoping he doesn't get injured this time!).

I think considering how young he is and how little we paid for him, it wouldn't hurt to keep Righters and maybe loan him out again (hoping he doesn't get injured this time!).

How young is he?

Archived