BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gta 4

Guest Kamy100

Highly doubt that another one will come out before the release of the next generation of consoles.

What do you base that on? The PS3 has a good few years left (5-6) and the 360 has something similar although it's not improbable that it will be upgraded/a better one will be made in the next 3-4 years. Considering the new engine has been a success and the basics are in place, it won't take long at all to make another GTA.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5-6 years before the PS4 or xbox x? Not a chance. That would be 7/8 years of PS3 and approaching 9 years of xbox 360.

I would be amazed if within 3 years there isn't a new xbox out. PS4 maybe 4 years away now, but that could depend on the moves microsoft makes and what happens with the technology. The next GTA, apart from minor updates or add-ons, will probably be about 3 years away. It could end up being the biggest name to come out along with the launch of a new console (think if you're microsoft, get out the new xbox, encourage to rockstar to make GTA 4 next generation exclusive, coordinate it with the launch of the xbox, which will probably be before the PS4 and watch the sales rake in...not saying that will happen, but it would be smart business move).

Guest Kamy100

I think that we will hear about the new Microsoft Machine next year for release late 2010/Early 2011 with Sony following suit later in 2011.

Highly doubt that another one will come out before the release of the next generation of consoles.

That would be 7/8 years of PS3 and approaching 9 years of xbox 360.

It'd take over 7 years to make another GTA then?

It's generally accepted that the PS3, being the younger console and having the most "home brew"ick nature will last longer, but I think it'll only be a matter of a year or two before it drops. Both consoles are advanced enough at the moment but the PS3 is seen as more "future proof" in comparison to the PS3 due to the easy customisation.

Not my opinions and I don't want to turn this into a fanboy fight, but those seem to be the general thoughts on most gaming boards which I am a member of, and I tend to agree.

EDIT; I misunderstood. I can't see Sony making another console until 2011 at the earliest. They have only just added the basics of the trophy system and media and there is still much to be done before thinking that the PS3 is complete.

PS3 is more future proof, but SONY aren't stupid (they are my current employer so I should say that) and if Microsoft release a new console SONY won't be far behind, they have already been on the wrong end of releasing a console probably a bit too late. If there's a XBOX x² and a wii 2 they will have to get something out with a year to 18 months and have it announced before either of them come out.

If you put the xbox x² out in 3 years time, as I do, then that would mean GTA V would be released 3+ years after IV, which is about what I'd expect.

PS3 is more future proof, but SONY aren't stupid (they are my current employer so I should say that) and if Microsoft release a new console SONY won't be far behind, they have already been on the wrong end of releasing a console probably a bit too late. If there's a XBOX x² and a wii 2 they will have to get something out with a year to 18 months and have it announced before either of them come out.

If you put the xbox x² out in 3 years time, as I do, then that would mean GTA V would be released 3+ years after IV, which is about what I'd expect.

I agree with the "keeping up with the market" comments, but I don't think it'll take 3 years to make the next GTA. When they were making GTA IV, it took a hell of a lot longer because it was the first time they were trying something so big with the PS3 which is notoriously difficult to program for, and there was all the kerfuffle of fitting it onto the BD. Now that they know what they are doing and the engine is up and working, they can make another GTA with more knowledge of how to program it and thus, it won't take as long to produce.

but they haven't previously released titles quickly. Why start now?

They have.

GTA 3 - 2001

Vice City - 2002

San Andreas - 2004

Once the basic framework was in place with GTA 3, that's three titles in three years.

Has anyone played a different ending yet? I am making different choices to see if changes the story any bit and i have noticed one or two things.

Such as killing Dwayne....you dont get playboys place and he hates you.

Killing derrick and francis clears your wanted level.

Wonder how much else will change.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I know Im way behind everyone else, but picked up GTA IV for Christmas and haven't stopped playing it! Great game.

What choices did you make? I'm sure this will have some bearing later in the game.

I didnt kill the girl whose boyfriend escapes on a bike, simply because that mission took me ages!

I killed the drug dealer, even though he said he would change.

I killed Playboy X instead of Dwayne, simply because I felt sorry for Dwanye, that and he owns a strip club! :D

Just starting Act III, and have opened up the final island.

The hardest mission so far for me was the one with the cocaine in the old hospital, it took me seven or eight goes as I'd either die on the way out or be unable to shake off the cops when I escaped.

I managed to do the bank robbery level 1st time, even though it took a while, and that has probably been my favourite mission so far.

Also have any of you got the expansion levels? The Ballad of Gay Tony looks good, although I think I will wait to complete the intial story first. Hopefully bagging Kiki Jenkins in the process!

What choices did you make? I'm sure this will have some bearing later in the game.

I killed Playboy X instead of Dwayne, simply because I felt sorry for Dwanye, that and he owns a strip club! :D

You should have already noticed some changes then. Its been a long time since I played/finished it but I am sure that when you Kill Playboy, Dwayne will give you the option of backup support if you need it - I did this but the support is rubbish so I hardly used it (I was very tempted to take him out to stop his constant moaning)

If you do kill Dwayne then Playboy gives you his hideout - I think.

Little things like that really - nothing massively game changing really - you will still do all of the same missions.

If you do kill Dwayne then Playboy gives you his hideout - I think.

I killed Playboy, so I inherited his nice apartment but it meant I had to put up with Dwayne phoning every ten minutes, moaning that I was neglecting him. Wished I'd offed Dwayne instead.

Both the expansions are worth getting, especially Gay Tony. That one has tanks, super powerful weapons, sticky mines, parachutes and a lot of the San Andreas-style crazy stuff they left out of GTA IV. Plus some of the funniest characters are in there.

I read earlier that they would be released for download on PSN as well as the disc, glad either way as GTA is sitting on my shelf still waiting to be played so this news may just hurry me up and get playing. Although I am going to be busy with Heavy Rain, Bioshock 2, G.O.W 3 et al so it may remain there a little longer yet!

• 11 months later...

Lets hope they realise that realism isn't actually fun.

Even TBoGT which tried to put the fun back in the series, felt depressing at times.

They hit the magic formula in Vice City and from then on every improvement in the game engine, resulted in the experience being less fun

They hit the magic formula in Vice City and from then on every improvement in the game engine, resulted in the experience being less fun

Agree completely.

I managed to complete San Andreas, but it became a chore. I gave up on GTA4 well before the end.

I think they overdo the emphasis on new features. In GTA4 they massively improved the fighting system, but this means that almost every mission becomes a shoot-em-up. It got incredibly tiresome. The old games used to have a really good variety of missions - they weren't always realistic, but it was a lot more fun.

I found the same problem with Red Dead Redemption too. After a promising start, that just descended into duck-shoot-duck-shoot-duck-shoot every mission.

Archived