BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan Shearer Poll.

Alan Shearer  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of Alan Shearer as manager?

• Yes
    • Not sure
    • No.

Some others points for you tony gale.

"He was a world-class striker and would have no problem attracting top attacking talent".

"From his TV work he will have very good contacts across europe and therefore should be well informed when it comes to scouting"

I hope you're being sarcastic...

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've voted yes to Shearer because I think the guy has something, an edge that you don't see on TV during his prosaic, platitudinous punditry.

I'm not big on his character, his Neil Lennon kick and the threat to the FA still annoys me. And I have few doubts that he'll be scuttling off to Newcastle at the earliest opportunity.

However, I think, whilst he's here, he'll do a good job and build on Mark Hughes work.

Some others points for you tony gale.

"He was a world-class striker and would have no problem attracting top attacking talent".

"From his TV work he will have very good contacts across europe and therefore should be well informed when it comes to scouting"

Good grief...

A no from me as it is a big gamble and we are in a strong position at the moment having just finished seventh. It is too much of a risk turning to someone with no experience and who would be continually linked with the Newcastle job if with us.

Shearer could turn into a great manager for all we know but I would rather Rovers were not the ones doing the experiment. If he had an ok season and Newcastle came in for him in a year who thinks he would think twice about staying?

So a resounding no from me. It´s a big risk and I do think we will end up with a good appointment despite some of those being linked being less than ideal.

When Shearer was at Rovers he was at his best and, at the time, was probably one of the most potent strikers around. I remember well some of his goals from that era and some were every bit as breathtaking as the goals scored to rapturous acclaim by the great and the good today ..... but none of this necessarily makes him the ideal candidate to take over as our manager.

Of course his appointment has attractions - he's high profile, a winner and clearly single-minded. He could possibly be capable of making a 'statement' on behalf of the club that will retain key players and maybe attract others. Perhaps he'll be able to galvanize support (and attendances). But will this surge of publicity, momentum and media froth still be delivering what is needed - namely, results - when it comes the business end of next season, in early spring 2009, when we may really be needing the points?

What is important is continuity. In business succession planning is essential to make sure that hard won gains are not lost in times of change. The board knows this better than I, and I expect that they will be planning to deliver the best outcome they can from a short list of candidates. I think that this should focus on: keeping our best players (except one or two who will have most likely have gone anyway), strengthening in key areas (particularly midfield) and building to ensure a top half finish next season. Achieve this after the turmoil of the last couple of weeks and it's "job done" - at least for now.

My head says that someone like Dick Advocaat or Henk Ten Cate (spelling?) would offer a lower risk way of securing relatively comfortable and all-important Premier League survival than Shearer plus a band of ex-Rovers stalwarts (however successful they may have recently been as managers and coaches). But, my heart says Shearer plus Newell and a select band of 'others' could deliver that extra injection of momentum that could really make things happen - not breaking into the Top 4 but perhaps a real charge to a comfortable UEFA Cup slot and/or a great domestic cup run.

My question: is going with Shearer a risk worth taking at this critical time? I say "sorry Alan", head should rule heart this time around. Let's go and get Dick or Henk.

Don't worry TGM I've just flicked through the voters comments and it's fairly obvious to a regular visitor from the club (Lee) that the more intelligent and deep thinking individuals whose opinions will carry most weight all voting a big NO thankyou to Alan Shearer. :rover:

Good grief...

When Shearer was at Rovers he was at his best and, at the time, was probably one of the most potent strikers around. I remember well some of his goals from that era and some were every bit as breathtaking as the goals scored to rapturous acclaim by the great and the good today ..... but none of this necessarily makes him the ideal candidate to take over as our manager.

Of course his appointment has attractions - he's high profile, a winner and clearly single-minded. He could possibly be capable of making a 'statement' on behalf of the club that will retain key players and maybe attract others. Perhaps he'll be able to galvanize support (and attendances). But will this surge of publicity, momentum and media froth still be delivering what is needed - namely, results - when it comes the business end of next season, in early spring 2009, when we may really be needing the points?

What is important is continuity. In business succession planning is essential to make sure that hard won gains are not lost in times of change. The board knows this better than I, and I expect that they will be planning to deliver the best outcome they can from a short list of candidates. I think that this should focus on: keeping our best players (except one or two who will have most likely have gone anyway), strengthening in key areas (particularly midfield) and building to ensure a top half finish next season. Achieve this after the turmoil of the last couple of weeks and it's "job done" - at least for now.

My head says that someone like Dick Advocaat or Henk Ten Cate (spelling?) would offer a lower risk way of securing relatively comfortable and all-important Premier League survival than Shearer plus a band of ex-Rovers stalwarts (however successful they may have recently been as managers and coaches). But, my heart says Shearer plus Newell and a select band of 'others' could deliver that extra injection of momentum that could really make things happen - not breaking into the Top 4 but perhaps a real charge to a comfortable UEFA Cup slot and/or a great domestic cup run.

My question: is going with Shearer a risk worth taking at this critical time? I say "sorry Alan", head should rule heart this time around. Let's go and get Dick or Henk.

Good post scotv. :tu:

See what I mean david brent?

LeChuck you deserve banning for that! If the Walkers never put another penny into BRFC no one can crib at all. It's their business and if it drops a division and loses value then that is their decision. Alternatively we could all join you in advocating the 'prune juice' method of footballing hari kiri.

Not really one to be talking about banning are we? ;)

I only said that because they removed the funding they were providing us with when the TV deal went up, which kind of indicates that they are doing the bare minimum required from Jack's will. They're obviously not forthcoming with the money, so I think we need a driven individual to persuade them to part with money to keep us competitive.

I never said anything about their past input, I just said we need a motivated manager to get them to loosen the purse strings for transfer funds. What's wrong with that?

Shearer could be good. Shearer could be shyte. It's fifty-fifty.

In effect, it's like putting the future of our clubs fortunes on the toss of a coin.

I'd prefer the new manager to have some experience to put the odds a bit more in our favour.

When I first heard about Shearer I was a "No", over the weekend I've been moving towards "Maybe" but now I'm back to a definite "NO."

Those were great times, very special times and for those of us lucky enough to be there we watched what was arguably the best and most exciting Rovers side of modern times. We rode the crest of a wave and everybody knew Blackburn Rovers.

One should never go back, it's never as good the second time around and the risks are far, far greater now than when Jack was alive. Emotionally it would be wonderful to see the club move forward under Shearer but that's the trouble with football fans, it's all about emotion. Some say it's 50/50 for Shearer to be a success or failure. I think the chances of failure are much greater, perhaps 20 / 80 on success / failure. Shearer would make some headlines but that is all we can be sure of.

I hope John Williams has a cool head on him and doesn't get caught up in the emotion of the situation.

When I first heard about Shearer I was a "No", over the weekend I've been moving towards "Maybe" but now I'm back to a definite "NO."

Those were great times, very special times and for those of us lucky enough to be there we watched what was arguably the best and most exciting Rovers side of modern times. We rode the crest of a wave and everybody knew Blackburn Rovers.

One should never go back, it's never as good the second time around and the risks are far, far greater now than when Jack was alive. Emotionally it would be wonderful to see the club move forward under Shearer but that's the trouble with football fans, it's all about emotion. Some say it's 50/50 for Shearer to be a success or failure. I think the chances of failure are much greater, perhaps 20 / 80 on success / failure. Shearer would make some headlines but that is all we can be sure of.

I hope John Williams has a cool head on him and doesn't get caught up in the emotion of the situation.

It's for exactly that reason I've moved from 'maybe' to 'yes'.

For too long many people have said there's not been a buzz around Ewood - regardless of the success Hughes brought. For the man-in-the-stand (you know the 90%+ of supporters or would be supporter who doesn't spend a disproportionate part of their life on the internet discussing options for managers that are fantasy) Shearer would bring that buzz back.

These fans are the lifeblood of the club, not we merry band of less than 200 voters, many of whom are about as likely to be regular attendees at Ewood next season is as I am to visit the moon. (That's not a dig at long distance fans, just a genuine comment on the nature of internet messageboards.)

The heart can rule the head on occassion to far greater benefit than the head ruling the heart. This is probably one such time.

No. We are not Newcastle's feeder club or experiment lab.

thats what scares me if he walks twice on us....id have shearer with king kenny.Those two would be a bums on seats and i want to play for those as well.

For those saying he hasnt coached or managed what had king kenny done before managing the scousers?

No from me purely because we're in such a lose-lose situation with him on board.

He comes in and does well - will be off to Newcastle at next opportunity (and it will be pretty soon what with the revolving door installed at St. James' Park)

He comes in and does awful - we'd probably get relegated.

No from me purely because we're in such a lose-lose situation with him on board.

He comes in and does well - will be off to Newcastle at next opportunity (and it will be pretty soon what with the revolving door installed at St. James' Park)

He comes in and does awful - we'd probably get relegated.

Any manager who comes to Ewood and does well will be "poached" by another club in 2 or 3 years, Shearer will be no different than the others.

This has happened for years be it Rovers managers, players and even our physio.

A big YES from me.

I have it as a WIN WIN situation. There are some very poor sides in the Prem this coming season (the 3 promoted + Fulham, Bolton, Boro, Sunderland) so it would take a whole lot of bad luck or huge downturn in form to go down with the players we currently have. Yes, he's no management experience but neither did Howard Kendall (here) and Kenny Dalglish (Liverpool) and they didn't do too bad. It's not like he's been out of the game, he's done the coaching badges and he's a half decent pundit on the BBC, for me the risks are minimised.

The feelgood factor will return, the club's profile will be raised and with a figurehead such as Shearer there's a real chance of enticing quality to the club.

Financially, there'll be more bums on seats, definitely more live televised games and more merchandise sold (if we get the marketing sorted).

Finally, if Newcastle come calling that means he's been a success and I'd like to think that the board would have planned in advance for that possible eventuality.

My glass wouldn't just be half full it would runneth over if we appointed him!!

Hello, Newcastle fan here, you may have read about my Sam Allardyce hatred in another thread last week.

Thought I'd throw in a little bit of info on Shearer that you guys probably won't know:

When we sacked Souness, Shearer became player/coach, and with all of Souness' cronies gone, he formed a managerial truimvirate with supposed caretaker boss Roeder and reserve team coach Tommy Craig.

I get the impression that Shearer didn't want sole charge as he felt that his main duty was performing on the pitch. However, at the time, Roeder took a very collaborational approach towards his management of NUFC, with Shearer having major influence on team selection and leadership, whereas Roeder and Craig looked after the coaching and club diplomacy.

The team set out was a classic 442 with the emphasis on wingers serving up food for the strikers thanks to relentless work ethic. This is how Shearer has always wanted his team mates to play, and you could tell that he was the driving influence behind this. It is fair to say that Blackburn have the players that can make a success of this system.

Anyhow, this run of games from February was probably our best three months of football since Robson. We went from 14th to 7th, and got into Europe. I seem to remember pushing Blackburn very hard at the time even though you had a huge headstart.

Anyhow, Shearer never wanted to retire and become a manager straight away, and Freddy Shepherd never did know too much about managers outside of the PL, so choice was small, and Roeder ended up with the job. It became apparent though that Roeder was nothing more than a coach, and had a cautious and conservative and unispiring approach to management. He pushed Tommy Craig away, and Craig quit, and Newcastle went down the league.

As such, I think Shearer has demonstrated covertly that he has what it takes to manage a club if you surround him with the right coaches.

Thanks but still no thanks. we're not Newcastle. we don't have hordes of fans turning up week in, week out. We won't get them even if Shearer returns. We need to minimise the risks and get in the best we can. It doesn't mean settling for mediocrity - it just means not going for the emotional choice over the best available.

Quite an interesting and informative little read that SMHB, cheers.

My only fear would be...

The team set out was a classic 442 with the emphasis on wingers serving up food for the strikers thanks to relentless work ethic. This is how Shearer has always wanted his team mates to play...
I can completely understand that that is how he would want to play, and how he would push any team he manages. My only concern would be that he wouldn't have anything else in his locker - It's one thing having a game plan and working towards it, it's a totally different thing coming up with a few different ones.

How many times do we hear the expression "...but had no plan B." I'd be dubious about how long it would be before a team with one method got found out, and i'd be dubious about how many methods Shearer would come up with.

Good post scotv. :tu:

See what I mean david brent?

It was a good post, and included rational arguments from both points of view, and he concluded at the end he did not want shearer.

However, I fail to see how he and others like yourself who are anti-shearer are somehow more intelligent and think more in depth then myself and others who are pro-shearer?! As you have stated in a previous post.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of Shearer's return, the guy is a great talisman and so highly respected in the game and not to mention the best centre forward Rovers and possibly England have ever had.

Given the level of respect he commands, surely with the right coaching staff in place it could only be a good thing for Rovers.

Would Sparky have been so good for us, if it wasnt for the likes of Bowen, Niedzwiecki and Hitchcock? Hell even King Kenny's reign wouldnt have had the same impact but for the legend that was Ray Harford.

I can understand concerns about him wanting to move onto Newcastle/England but as Preston Blue says thats likely to happen to any candidate that brings success to the Rovers.

There are some interesting names being banded about but I sure wouldnt be dissapointed to see Al make a return, lets have faith in one of our own instead of yet another foreign manager coming purely for the money.

Archived