BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan Shearer Poll.

Alan Shearer  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of Alan Shearer as manager?

• Yes
    • Not sure
    • No.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As we lost the original manager topic, with Laudrup and Shearer as leaders, we have another vote on Alan Shearer. Nicko reckons he's interested, so ..........

My recollection was that it was Laudrup first, ten Cate second (one vote behind), Shearer third, Advocaat fourth.

Its a gamble whoever we get so why not...has to bring in experience with him though.

Those are pretty much my thoughts as well. Even the "experienced" managers we're being linked with have their flaws. The logical answer to this Poll is of course "Not Sure" - but then we'd never appoint anyone. So "Yes" from me (with a £15m release clause should the bar codes come calling).

Charisma?!? When they're going through the check list where will charisma be on it? Can you tap dance Mr Shearer? Sell me this pen please Alan. What's that? England Caps? Sorry we're looking for an all round entertainer to be honest.

Yes with Mike Newell as his assistant..Why don't we buck the trend and give two young English Managers the chance to work in the Premier league...

I know people grow and develop with the years but my over-riding impression of Shearer from my visits to ewood when he was there was of a somewhat immature, pleasant lad with a bit of a bullying sense of humour but had this absolutely irrepressible joy at scoring goals. There used to be a picture of the goal keeper and ball in the net and Alan face pressed up against the back of the net with the most unrestrained vision of sheer joy and elation I think I have ever seen on anyone.

The lad fought back through a series of terrible injuries which would be character forming for anyone but I just feel he'd be too wooden to bring the necessary managerial qualities to the job. Newell is hardly Mr Diplomacy either.

Can anybody see Shearer being a tactician or have the knowledge how to generate attractive attacking football in an EPL of aggressive space denial and instant tackles on the player in possession? For that matter could he organise a secure defence?

What we do know for certain is that Al is a person who has favourites and others whom he banished. Newell was a great player and Sutty was an unpleasant person and the SAS remains one of the great attacking partnerships of the EPL but Shearer is reputed to have done his utmost to not to have played with Sutty and pressured poor old Ray Harford relentlessly.

If things started to slide at Rovers I just cannot see Shearer and Newell being the people with the necessary skills to turn it around.

I am sure Bilic was ahead of Laudrup. Have you forgotten him?

You are correct- Bilic was one vote ahead of Laudrup.

I cannot remeber where ten Cate came but Billic and Laudrup were well ahead with Shearer third and then there was a group who had roughly the same votes including ten Cate, Advocaat, Ince and Allardyce.

There were well over 300 votes cast last time I looked.

You are correct- Bilic was one vote ahead of Laudrup.

I cannot remeber where ten Cate came but Billic and Laudrup were well ahead with Shearer third and then there was a group who had roughly the same votes including ten Cate, Advocaat, Ince and Allardyce.

There were well over 300 votes cast last time I looked.

Ten Cate wasn't included in the poll.

That's the problem with polling for the next manager - after everyone has voted a new name comes along.

NO

By the time Shearer found his feet we could be relegated!!

Great players dont always make great managers see Colin Hendry

Why gamble with our club. Even Hughes was a bit of a gamble at the time ( which turned out fantastically well ) but he had had some valuable experience with Wales.

Compare this with Alladyce, (not my favorite person ), but Alladyce's record suggests he would keep us in the premiership at least, probably in the top half, and quite possibly challenging for Europe.

I can't believe we are seriously considering Shearer and that there are so many in favour.

New season, we'll relegate anyways. Bentley and Samba are on their way out, so it'll be very difficult to get a new strengthful squad. Still though, the likes of Benni and Gamsten will recover from a bad season.

One thing that occurs to me about Shearer is that he is very much like Keegan in that he is completely secure financially and very single minded. Alan Shearer does what is best for Alan Shearer etc. Nothing wrong with that per se.............but...............

I could see him just walking out if at any point he felt he wasn't getting enough financial support from the Board.

I could see him just walking out if at any point he felt he wasn't getting enough financial support from the Board.

That would be a sign of ambition though, wouldn't it Rev?

That would be a sign of ambition though, wouldn't it Rev?

Maybe, although it probably wouldn't be helpful to us if it happened a few months into the job.

You never know though, if Shearer started off well, then that threatened scenario might be to our long term benefit in terms of loosening the pursestrings.

Souness seemingly did a better job of extracting money from the Trustees than Hughes for whatever reason.

Shearer??? I thought we were looking for a manager?!

AS would be a gamble that I would not be prepared to take. With our level of funding we could not afford to throw money at him at Christmas if we got off to a bad start so metaphorically speaking we are drinking in the last chance saloon. How many times have people said 'we must not get this wrong' yet so many appear willing to comment flippantly with an idiotic and irresponsible 'why not' or 'he deserves a chance'? FFS simply apply some LOGIC and not misdirected misty eyed nostalgia.

If we want a faded star why not get Duggie and Ronnie in. Leave Shearer for the dreamers.

Archived