BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan Shearer Poll.

Alan Shearer  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of Alan Shearer as manager?

• Yes
    • Not sure
    • No.

Don't worry TGM I've just flicked through the voters comments and it's fairly obvious to a regular visitor from the club (Lee) that the more intelligent and deep thinking individuals whose opinions will carry most weight all voting a big NO thankyou to Alan Shearer. :rover:

As far as embarrassing posts go, that one must be up with the best.

Beyond belief..........

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't for one moment to suggest that to not want shearer is a sign of intelligence because what are we going to say if JW decides he does and the board back him? However, I do think that those who don't want shearer are perhaps refusing to get carried away by nostalgia and hype. "He'd bring people back to Ewood" say his supporters. How do you know? Playing good football and not getting relelgated because you win more games than you lose is surely the way to bring fans back and keep them coming. Now that might happen with Shearer but the chances are it might not and on balance I personally think the chances of it not happening outweigh the chances of it happening. So I still can't be persuaded to want him. I wouldn't stay away from ewood if he came and I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but that's all it would be. I couldn't get enthusiastic about the appointment.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of Shearer's return, the guy is a great talisman and so highly respected in the game and not to mention the best centre forward Rovers and possibly England have ever had.

Given the level of respect he commands, surely with the right coaching staff in place it could only be a good thing for Rovers.

Would Sparky have been so good for us, if it wasnt for the likes of Bowen, Niedzwiecki and Hitchcock? Hell even King Kenny's reign wouldnt have had the same impact but for the legend that was Ray Harford.

I can understand concerns about him wanting to move onto Newcastle/England but as Preston Blue says thats likely to happen to any candidate that brings success to the Rovers.

There are some interesting names being banded about but I sure wouldnt be dissapointed to see Al make a return, lets have faith in one of our own instead of yet another foreign manager coming purely for the money.

You've hit the nail on the head there my friend.

With the right coaching staff I have no doubt he will be a success. Just a huge question on who he would bring in with him. Experienced guy like Ray Harford (RIP) or a load of yes men like Keegan had?

That's why I'm still a don't know.

Any manager who comes to Ewood and does well will be "poached" by another club in 2 or 3 years, Shearer will be no different than the others.

This has happened for years be it Rovers managers, players and even our physio.

Mike

I heard that Souness even took the tea lady, the head chef and the kit washers when he defected to Geordieland :rolleyes:

YES from me.

Yes it's a risk, but one I believe worth taking.

As for him buggering off if he does well, there's a pretty good chance that's going to happen with any of our players/managers that do well here. In recent times only Friedal springs to mind as an outstanding player thats stayed loyal, and even with him I don't think there's been that many offers on the table.

So what if he's inexperienced, he's been involved in football all his bloody life, worked under some smart managers, I'm sure he's picked up a few pointers along the way!

I am swaying towards a yes - we need a big name (or high profile manager) these days I feel. Hughes and Souness had this and it worked to a certain extent.

There is a slight risk because he has no experience, but one well worth taking in my view.

In a way, some of the foreign names being linked are also a unknown and just as big a risk, in case of them changing things around too much (as certain foreign managers like to do).

Shearer is British, knows the players, will keep certain players on our books already, and also attract them in. Tactically he is very aware. He is a good leader and hungry to always win. The mentality is spot on from him - similar hungry winning mentality to Hughes in a way.

He'd give it 100% and would have his players well-drilled and motivated. I think he'd do well.

NO WAY

Great player, but as a personality he's about as one dimensional as they come. Good managers need to have a little something about them, Shearer just doesn't have that spark about him. He doesn't exactly set the world alight with his tactical insights on MOTD does he??

He'll be a complete failure as a manager so why not let him be a failure at Newcastle once Keegan's messed up? That would be much more fun than Rovers finding out just how useless he is before he gets a chance to send the Barcodes down.

unless I got the wrong end of the stick, but lineker said at the conclusion of the france v romania program that "alan shearer was off to read the small print of his contract." I was only half watching it though

He did. Usual Gary comment with a grin from Shearer. I wouldn't read anything into it. They can't have failed to notice the media attention that's been going on.

He did. Usual Gary comment with a grin from Shearer. I wouldn't read anything into it. They can't have failed to notice the media attention that's been going on.

I think Lineker was actually referencing a comment that Alan Hansen had made during the half time interval about how his BBC contract was the only thing keeping him from walking out during the France v Romania game. At the end of the coverage, he didn't actually say Shearer either, only Alan.

You've hit the nail on the head there my friend.

With the right coaching staff I have no doubt he will be a success. Just a huge question on who he would bring in with him. Experienced guy like Ray Harford (RIP) or a load of yes men like Keegan had?

That's why I'm still a don't know.

Well Steve Clarke is currently looking for work and definately has a good rep in the coaching world, past links with Shearer from Newcastle too???

I think Lineker was actually referencing a comment that Alan Hansen had made during the half time interval about how his BBC contract was the only thing keeping him from walking out during the France v Romania game. At the end of the coverage, he didn't actually say Shearer either, only Alan.

Cheerfully withdrawn!

NO NO NO NO NO. this would be a bad decision and could see us struggling. It is the Bryan Robson effect. Robbo was a great player but crap manager. every club he has been to, he was crap. I feel Shearer would be the same. just because he was a great player does not mean he will become a good manager. he would be a very good assistant Manager, and this is where he needs to learn his trade. All of the managers which we have had recently had some decent managerial experience in the past.

I think Alladyce and Shearer as his Assistant.

Is it just me or does the possible appointment of Shearer feel exciting ?

If he gets the job the buzz in the town will be terrific, and who's to say he couldn't do a job with a couple of decent people around him.

If I hear those words one more time...

The buzz will last until we start losing matches.

which means its not really an arguement in favor of shearer... his lack of a managerial record at any level is scary. At least Hughes had some practice with a national side. Shearer's only "managerial" record was the fact he was up for newcastle. He might eb good, or he might be horrible. Not sure I want to take the risk. I'd back him if he were chosen, but I'd not have the balls to pick him if I were JW. If he's horrible, our side may be doomed to relegation before you can fix it, and with our resources and the amount of money being pumped into sides being bought in the lower divisions to get tot eh cash cow... we might get stuck there.

Great argument. <_<

TGM, you are not informing anybody anything that isn't common knowledge. Of course Shearer would be a risky appointment, more so than Allardyce, McClaren and to be honest, evern people like Bothrooyd, all of which all do have positive aspects to their CVs.

However, as of yet, Shearer has no negatives on his CV, whereas between 80-90% of the other applicates will have. It comes down to the interviews I would imagine, like every other job. My only hope is the final decision isn't made on salary, rather than quality.

Beckham? who has mentioned him?

Go on then name one appointment thats not been risky?

They wanted fergie out in his early time.

Fergie had won the Cup Winners Cup and beaten Real Madrid in a European final!

We need our manager to produce the goods straight away, with our lack of funds we can and will drop like a stone unless we get this managerial appointment right.

This appointment is far more risky than most others. I mentioned Beckham to point out how poor your argument was.

Shearer has no POSITIVES on his managerial CV either shillito. Even the worst candidates have those.

Archived