BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nickos (newer) Thread

Santa Cruz we can keep, if we keep Bentley we make ourselves look bad on several levels unless he comes out and semi-apologises/expresses a total change of heart:

1) We look like a team that will prevent younger players from moving onto bigger clubs, not really something you want when we next try and sign a youngster.

2) We make it look like we can't survive without/replace Bentley and so are only option is to force him to stay.

3) We risk upsetting other players within the team (would you want to play with someone who went on holiday and told the world that he wanted to leave?).

I actually think many other clubs/players will regard David Bentley's situation differently...

On your first point, you say we will appear to be keeping younger players back? See too me, other teams should see this as a sign of our ambitions.

Why can't we hold onto our bigger younger players, where as Man City can without a problem ala Richards?

David Bentley wouldnt be the player he is today if it wasn't for Rovers, and i think allot of people recognise his selfishness in coming out in the media, quite obviously drunk wearing a tacky shirt, and saying he wants to play for a bigger club next season.

Personally, if i was another club looking at Bentley, with that attitude and lack of control with the media. I wouldnt want him playing for my team.

I personally think that the call-ups to the International squad have gone to his head, and for his absolute lack of control and maturity with the media, he should be very ashaimed, as i am sure Mark Hughes was before he left.

On your second point, i don't think it has anything to do with that.

One thing that has kept Rovers stable over the years is that we have a squad that's used to each other. We add here and there and don't do clearouts and mass signings ala Spuds.

One player doesnt make a squad, granted he can make a difference. But their are replacements we could sign out there who would do as good a job with the money we could get from Bentley. Again, something id say other clubs understand. But maybe something David, with his big-head doesnt.

On your third point, im sure the others players would be disappointed in Bentley, and not unsettled or angry.

Im sure Ryan Nelsen will be taking the lad aside before the new season starts.

Having said this, if their is any disruption in the starting XI with regard to Bentley's 'over confidence', i think we probably have the gaffer that wont let this ride!

I personally look forward to the result of a bust up between Bentley and Incey, i know who my money would be on! :lol:

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really care whether bentley stays or goes now, but i would like it sorted out sooner rather than later so that if he stays, he and the rest of the squad can get their heads down and concentrate on their job, which is to play football, and if he's going we have time to get more players in. Can see it rumbling on for quite a time though. when is the deadline for registering your squad for European games?

Coyle on SSN at the moment talking from first day of training. It will be interesting too see how they go this season.

Did he say "We've spent up and we're basically fooked". Cue Nicko defending him ;)

They'll probably finish mid-table like they do every year. My bro is worried that they won't fill all the positions they need.

Still really quiet on the transfer front. In fact that seems to go for the whole of Lancs. PNE and Blackpool have hardly signed anyone and everything's gone quiet down the road after their flurry of activity last week.

Hopefully pick up over the next few weeks as clubs return to training.

Forgetting somebody? :lol:

I don't think he did nicko, deffo said Lancs, no mention of West Yorkshire

Did he say "We've spent up and we're basically fooked". Cue Nicko defending him ;)

They'll probably finish mid-table like they do every year. My bro is worried that they won't fill all the positions they need.

Expecting the dingles to make a serious push this season.

Bentley has made it clear on television he wants to move away from Rovers, Rovers are best to sell him now while is value is very high then keep a player who is not intrested in Rovers future anymore

Wrong.... rovers best option is to keep him until we have a replacement of similar ability lined up. Until Hughes came and showed us the correct way forward we've ###### out in that manner for bloody decades!

Santa Cruz we can keep, if we keep Bentley we make ourselves look bad on several levels unless he comes out and semi-apologises/expresses a total change of heart:

1) We look like a team that will prevent younger players from moving onto bigger clubs, not really something you want when we next try and sign a youngster.

2) We make it look like we can't survive without/replace Bentley and so are only option is to force him to stay.

3) We risk upsetting other players within the team (would you want to play with someone who went on holiday and told the world that he wanted to leave?).

I disagree. I think we make a point that makes us look good on several levels

1) We are a team that expects players to honour their recent contracts and if we do allow them to leave it is on terms that the club find acceptable. Which is the whole point of a contract (and works both ways, by the way)

2) No we don't. We make it look like we will not be weakened by other clubs poaching our best players until we get the requisite value that allows us to replace them. Look at Man U with Ronaldo as a further example.

3) It happens all the time - it is unsettling but the counter to your argument is that just letting the player go sends the clear message to all the rest that the club and their contracts are unimportant and at the first slight (like being dropped) they can just say they want to go.

I do agree he will go but it should be on our terms and our terms alone.

Wrong.... rovers best option is to keep him until we have a replacement of similar ability lined up. Until Hughes came and showed us the correct way forward we've ###### out in that manner for bloody decades!

I agree that if we sell we sell on our terms i.e.

1) when it suits us not when it suits Bentley's agent or any club that might find enough cash to pay for him

2) at the right price for us not at the value other teams put on him

We may in those circumstances end up keeping him and if we do then we need to get the best out of him, not get on his back for some of his idiotic behaviour recently.

Personally I'd like to see him stay if it's possible but not at the expense of his or the team's performances. The only people who can judge whether it's better to get rid are the management team and since they're not all in place yet there's no real rush.

Bloody hell gaz! Cos he's quality..... thats why! :rolleyes:

i agree he is a quality player, but if he does not want to stay at Rovers, we should sell him now and move on end off. A player that does want to be at the club is not going to go down very well with the rest of the squad is he drog?

so drog are u trying to say Rovers will turn down say a 15-20 million pounds for him, untill they have got a replacement for him, GET REAL!!!!.

Nicko - Joey Barton to Bolton appears to be credited to you on The Wanderer - incurring general derision, it must be said. Id this a goer? I would be very surprised, myself.

thats really clever, keep hold of a player who does not want to be here and Rovers loose out on about 15 million!!!!!
If we let players go when they want, especially with 3 years on their contract, it sets an incredibly dangerous precedent, andopens the door for "buying clubs" to set the price.

There is no way on earth that we should just let him go becasue he wants to. If a good enough offer comes in, then we sell. If not, then we don't.

It's on our terms, as a club - No-one elses, whatever others may think, whatsoever.

Nicko - Joey Barton to Bolton appears to be credited to you on The Wanderer - incurring general derision, it must be said. Id this a goer? I would be very surprised, myself.

They can read?

I know where the story is from and exactly what point it is at just now.

We'll let him go when it suits us and we have a suitable replacement lined up.

I very much doubt we'll lose out on 15 million somehow ...

thats a big RISK, how do u not know that Bentley could have an awful season next season and still want to move away from Rovers, i doubt we will get £15 million then.

They can read?

I know where the story is from and exactly what point it is at just now.

Sigh! Yes, they can read. Is it happening then?

thats a big RISK, how do u not know that Bentley could have an awful season next season and still want to move away from Rovers, i doubt we will get £15 million then.

You don't and he could easily break his leg first day of the season and his career be over.

Look at it logically though, he has to maintain the level he has set or he won't be in the england team, so he has no reason to drop his performance level. He hasn't said that he couldn't stay here, just that he wants a move to a champions league club, which isn't forthcoming. His agent may not be happy with it but Bentley will more than likely be left with little option but to spend another year at Ewood as we won't sell for under £15m. Afterall he can't force a move to a club that doesn't want him/can't afford him.

Bentley will still hold the same if not a higher transfer value next summer. Only problem comes if nobody comes in for him then, with only 2 years left on his contract.

How do you know we'd get 15 million now?

Has anyone bid yet? No.

No-one's even expressed an interest yet, you're plucking a figure out of the sky.

If we grant his request we're caving in and we'll not get offered 15 mill anyways.

Think about it.

Lets just sum up bentley's options here:

Liverpool: if he goes to liverpool rafa will no doubt try one of his swap deals. no doubt we will be looking at around 10M + Pennant.

Tottenham: if they are that hard strapped for cash, it looks like its going to be around 7M plus lennon.

Villa: they look to have the cash required but seem to want milner. wouldnt say Villa would be on Bentley's radar either.

on our hand i cant see him leaving in a swap deal.

Liverpool (if they get barry) and Tottenham i just dont think will have the cash.

Another thing just incase ince reads this. i would like to see radoi the romanian centre back and right back being looked at (his injury should be getting better shortly)

:tu:

Archived