BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Sign Chilean Superstar Carlos Villanueva

den

Does he speak English? Any thoughts from him???

Ooops just saw that you spoke in Spanish...

I'll test him on his English and let you know...

You obviously have the inside track on this one.

How do you rate him - has he the ability and temperment to match what we have seen on the internet?

It was only a brief conversation but I will be speaking to him again tomorrow night for a more in-depth interview so I'll tell you more then.

He's nervous about the move and it's understandable really, particularly as his transfer to Sociedad fell through at the last.

I think Spain would have suited him better and he will tell you that too. England will be a shock to him at first. If you need a comparison (everyone loves a comparison) I'd liken him to a budding Pablo Aimar.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was only a brief conversation but I will be speaking to him tomorrow night for a more in-depth interview so I'll tell you more then.

He's nervous about the move and it's understandable really, particularly as his transfer to Sociedad fell through at the last.

I think Spain would have suited him better and he will tell you that too. England will be a shock to him at first.

Any chance of knowing who you are on Setanta? Would we see you on the telly or are you someone who works behind the scenes? Just curious...

It was only a brief conversation but I will be speaking to him tomorrow night for a more in-depth interview so I'll tell you more then.

I think Spain would have suited him better and he will tell you that too. England will be a shock to him at first.

Problem is, do we only have until December 31st to sign him for definite, not a great deal of time to adjust to a new life is it?

Any chance of knowing who you are on Setanta? Would we see you on the telly or are you someone who works behind the scenes? Just curious...

I work mainly for their editorial team. Used to work for Sky in Leeds before moving down sarf last summer.

I'd say 5 months is enough for anyone to work out whether they want to stay in a different location or not. If you like it, then you adjust, otherwise you don't.

I think you totally missed the point JAL was making.

It takes some foreigners a lot longer than five months to settle in and start playing the kind of football they are capable of. It might be very difficult for us to judge whether he's worth keeping or not if he doesn't settle in immediately.

I think you totally missed the point JAL was making.

It takes some foreigners a lot longer than five months to settle in and start playing the kind of football they are capable of. It might be very difficult for us to judge whether he's worth keeping or not if he doesn't settle in immediately.

Sometimes it can take a season for a player to settle in and show their true form and potential the following season. I just hope Carlos shows enough of his talent before the 31st December.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11676_3882506,00.html

Carlos Villanueva cannot wait to start his English career with Blackburn.

Rovers have agreed terms with Chilean outfit Audax Italiano and will sign the 22-year-old forward once they have obtained a work-permit.

Villanueva is a Chilean international with 12 caps to his name and Rovers are confident he will be given the green-light to complete the move within the next few days.

"I am very happy because I am going to be playing competitive football," said Villanueva.

"I'm very keen to get things right and I hope to play as much as possible as I intend on staying in England for a long time.

"I know that I will have to work hard, and I am not travelling thinking that I will immediately hold a position but I hope I can win a place."

Hopeful

Villanueva's agent Cristian Ogalde is confident his charge will make a big impact in Lancashire.

"Carlos is happy and calm, he is just anxious to start working with his new team-mates," Ogalde told La Tercera.

"I think he will be presented to the media on Wednesday or Thursday.

"We have presented all the documents that they need by English law and in a few days he will have the permission to play in the Premier League.

"Carlos has done his medical exams and has all the paperwork necessary for him to play."

Saw some of the clip at youtube, he is good. But don't think he will be a hit for us first year. Most player need at least 2 year to settle down but if he really put in his heart to play for us. He is going to be one of a great signing for us....

As does Benni Mac. One of the things he said last season is that they speak Spanish to each other in games, so that opposing defenders cant understand. If we can have a trio of creative/ goal scoring players do that then they could cause havoc.

Sometimes it can take a season for a player to settle in and show their true form and potential the following season. I just hope Carlos shows enough of his talent before the 31st December.

He may not show it in matches by then but he definitly will on the training ground. As you said he will need quiet a while to settle in tevez, mascherano and Zarate didn't really start to shine till the end of their first years.

I'm hoping that Roque will help him settle in a bit, as they speak the same language etc.

Don't forget Benni is fluent in Spanish as well. I feel sure the other players will welcome him and help him to settle, but we must not forget that it is his first time out of South America and an entirely new way of life for him. It will definitely take a while for him to settle and I hope and trust that all Rovers fans will be tolerant if he appears to struggle at first. He is almost certainly going to be homesick and that alone will put him off his game to some extent. I personally feel he will indeed prove to be another little gem, and if we can keep him happy he will want to stay and play for us.

Lets get this in perspective. We have all watched the YouTube clips and his ability there for all to see, albeit in completely different circumstances to what he will face when he comes to Lancashire.

He looks an awesome prospect. But the facts are that he is 22 years old and moving halfway across the world so it will take him time to adjust to the surroundings, teamates, language, homesickness.

So what we all need to have with him is patience. He will need, I think, a considerable amount of time to adjust to the pace of the game here. It is of a much higher standard. He will be playing against fitter, quicker, more physical and skillfull players.

The sad thing is that I can see the punters getting on his back if he doesn't reproduce his current club form. And we cannot afford for that to happen because ultimately he will be on his way to Spain and someone else will benefit.

This fella reminds me of Fabregas. But I think he could be better. Don't get me wrong, he may well turn up at Goodison and score the winner but remember to tell the numpties if that doesn't happen be patient. As I said, otherwise someone else will benefit.

Wonder who'll be taking the free kicks....................?

Archived