BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Sign Chilean Superstar Carlos Villanueva

den

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone has sent a question to Tim Vickery about Villanueva and Castillo and he has responded in his column

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7516842.stm - At the Your questions answered bit near the bottom

And for those who can't access the link:

How do you rate the two South American players, Carlos Villanueva from Chile and Segundo Castillo from Ecuador, that Blackburn are supposed to be interested in? Do you think they'll make the jump to the Premier League? Villanueva especially seems a gamble as he's had no experience of European football before.

Alan Sheppard

"They're both midfielders, but are very different players. Castillo is only 26, but has much more experience. An established international - 33 caps - he had a good World Cup, and was picked up by Red Star Belgrade. He's a defensive midfielder, a battler, with no great class but very strong and athletic.

Villanueva is the opposite. He's 22, has been an international for little more than a year (nine caps) and is a slight figure - but with real quality in his left foot. He can feature either as a playmaker or can play wide left, where he's not lightning pace but can curl in some lovely crosses. Can he up the rhythm of his game and can he cope with the physicality of the Premier League? I would love to think that he can - if so he can be a real asset to the English game - but Chileans are not always the best of travellers and I have to agree with you that he's a gamble."

Interesting insights....sounds like Castillo is very much a Steven Reid type player. By the sounds of it with Villaneuva we should be wary of expecting too much too soon from this lad. It's quite likely he's not going to set the league on fire in the first few months, but hopefully his natural ability will see him adapt to the game better as he goes on, and maybe he can work on his strength and become a top class player.

"but Chileans are not always the best of travellers and I have to agree with you that he's a gamble."

I'm not sure I agree with him on that, Chile is exporting quite a few excellent footballers at the moment. David Pizarro, Matias Fernandez, Luis Jimenez, Arturo Vidal and Mark Gonzalez are all having various degrees of success in some of Europe's biggest leagues. Although admittedly, none of them are in England...

From the clips and the reports, this fella looks the the business. We have been after an attacking midfielder type player for a while and i think if this bloke applies his potential, he will be a fans favorite.

Chile have had some great players in the past like Salas and Zamorano but the only Chilian to play in the PL was Javier Margas for the hammers and he was desperately bad.

By the sounds of it with Villaneuva we should be wary of expecting too much too soon from this lad. It's quite likely he's not going to set the league on fire in the first few months, but hopefully his natural ability will see him adapt to the game better as he goes on, and maybe he can work on his strength and become a top class player.

With fans here already comparing him to Ronaldo and Messi what d'you think? :rock:

hello have read every post and I have great hope that this player but as anyone who needs a change of place time of adaptation.

All the videos shown are for 2006-2007 both in the Chilean league and in the Copa Libertadores (similar champions ligue). in these tournaments Villanueva showed a great performance and draw the attention of big European clubs and South American clubs.

Villanueva currently does not show a great performance explainable by the great disappointment for not being able to go sold at a big club in Europe.

Villanueva in the selection national is reserve is mainly that of the front are matias fernandez (Villarreal), Jorge Valdivia (Palmeiras, Brazil) and Luis Jimenez (Inter de Milan)

sorry for my English

hello have read every post and I have great hope that this player but as anyone who needs a change of place time of adaptation.

All the videos shown are for 2006-2007 both in the Chilean league and in the Copa Libertadores (similar champions ligue). in these tournaments Villanueva showed a great performance and draw the attention of big European clubs and South American clubs.

Villanueva currently does not show a great performance explainable by the great disappointment for not being able to go sold at a big club in Europe.

Villanueva in the selection national is reserve is mainly that of the front are matias fernandez (Villarreal), Jorge Valdivia (Palmeiras, Brazil) and Luis Jimenez (Inter de Milan)

sorry for my English

So he hasnt been playing so well recently? :(

So he hasnt been playing so well recently? :(

I wouldnt worry that much about this. Sometimes a fresh start is all you need to find the next level after a slump. And besides, at least he's playing. When Roque and Vogel came, they weren't even playing! Yes I appreciate that Carlos might have problems settling in, but I'm truly excited about this lad. Given a reasonable period of acclimatisation, i think he'll come good.

say that audax italiano achieving the first victory of the championship and this is the best farewell that can be given to Villanueva that juice entire game.

Also appearing summary of game

the most interesting is that Villanueva would be traveling on Wednesday due to england

So in a nutshell

Using google translator so probably won't be the best. But got this,

Audax won for the first time in the Clausura and goodbye to the best way to Villanueva

Audax Italiano beat by two goals to one in the stadium to Cobresal El Salvador, in a compromise agreed by the fifth day of the tournament Closure. This victory represents the first championship for the whole of Raul Toro who suffered during the ninety minutes to achieve the desired victory. The goals were the work of Christian Reynero and Braulio Leal for Italo, while the discount is borne by Rodrigo Nunez. work of Christian

The game against the squad of Cobresal was the last chance to see Carlos Villanueva wearing the number ten shirt Audax Italiano. Although must travel on Wednesday to join the ranks of the English Blackburn Rovers, Villanueva asked specifically say goodbye to the institution defending Floridians in the stadium of El Salvador. Some fans came from Antofagasta spot to contemplate the time and Villanueva responded fully in the first moments of the match.

The second paragraph talks about him leaving for us. I can't find much else to do with him in the rest of the article.

Using google translator so probably won't be the best. But got this,

The second paragraph talks about him leaving for us. I can't find much else to do with him in the rest of the article.

Does your translator think we'r daft or something repeating everything or is it cos we're foreigners?

sorry for my English

Didn't he win the player of the year in Chile, last season?

"Rovers are paying Audax £450,000 to take Villanueva, intriguingly nicknamed Pineapple Head, for a year and the player's wages are at a similar level - a bargain package for his country's top young talent."

Quote from Alan Nixon. Mirror.co.uk

If this pans out right this is a fabulous piece of business.

With first option with a bid of $4M.

According to Chilean newspaper La Tercera, Villanueva will fly to England on Wed or Thu, go through the medicals, and if everything appears to be all right, join inmediately the rest of the team.

:lol: I like Villanueva's nickname, until I remember who the original pineapple head was... and that kind of puts a downer on it!

But he only had a pineapple on his head. Balancing that and playing footy must be harder than if your whole head is a pineapple. can't see it by the way with Villanueva. where they've got that nickname from is not clear from any pics Ive seen.

But he only had a pineapple on his head. Balancing that and playing footy must be harder than if your whole head is a pineapple. can't see it by the way with Villanueva. where they've got that nickname from is not clear from any pics Ive seen.

Maybe his goal celebration?

The signing of Villanueva looks to be a done deal, dependent on work permits so at least we can look forward to seeing some more South American magic to add to Roque. All we need now is firm news on Castillo and that we keep our Paraguayan hero as well!

On paper (and on YouTube) he looks pretty good, hope Villanueva turns out to be another star. Good business to secure the risk through a loan deal. Nice one Mr. Williams.

Really beginning to look forward to this season.

Archived