BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Sign Chilean Superstar Carlos Villanueva

den

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is being compared to Juninho Paulista by people who know him.

However, I think it's worth remembering names such as Marinelli and Hugo Viana before losing oneself in drooling anticipation. Life can make mincemeat of hopes, so I am, personally, tempering my expectations.

very true but look at ronaldo he's only 23

Ye but we now know Ronaldo is awesome!Hopefully villanueva will have a massive

impact but just hope people dont expect to much he'll have to settle in and get use to the new

surroundings! I hope hes quality hes obviously got summat about him 50 goals in 125 games is awesome

for a midfielder!

I've just read an interview with Valentín Cantergiani, the president of Audax Italiano.

In it he details the terms of the transfer - Blackburn will pay US$900,000 (approx £450,000) for the one-year loan, with the same amount being paid to Villanueva in wages.

The most interesting part is that he states the option to buy is US$6.9 million (approx £3.5 million) but this is only valid up to December 31.

In other words, if Rovers want to buy him permanently they must decide by the New Year.

I've just read an interview with Valentín Cantergiani, the president of Audax Italiano.

In it he details the terms of the transfer - Blackburn will pay US$900,000 (approx £450,000) for the one-year loan, with the same amount being paid to Villanueva in wages.

The most interesting part is that he states the option to buy is US$6.9 million (approx £3.5 million) but this is only valid up to December 31.

In other words, if Rovers want to buy him permanently they must decide by the New Year.

Sounds alright to me, we should have a fair idea of what he's like by then...

Agreed Den, still feel that until JW comes out & states we have got him; that another club ( prob city just out of spite) will pip us at the 11th hour.

verymuch doubt that happening like someone said earlier . he will be in blackburn tomorrow to what i would think sign a contract and have a medical and i dont think city would be able to sort it all out by then!!!

but who knows

They're applying for a work permit.

To apply for a work permit there needs to be an agreement between player and club and noone can come in for him in that time.

It will happen, as they'll both qualify for the permits.

a_CarlosVillanueva_ht.jpg

The chairman of the Greens, Valentin Cantergiani, explained the situation but clarified at all times "that the business is close, but no settlement".

"There is an agreement, but it lacks the signature and that is very important," he said in clear allusion to the failed transfer Midfielder of the Royal Society.

"We must go with caution. Next week everything should be resolved, although the British club's offer is very good, "he continued.

The positive aspect of the matter is that the helmsman cast colony was very hopeful that everything will have a good end.

a_CarlosVillanueva_ht.jpg

The chairman of the Greens, Valentin Cantergiani, explained the situation but clarified at all times "that the business is close, but no settlement".

"There is an agreement, but it lacks the signature and that is very important," he said in clear allusion to the failed transfer Midfielder of the Royal Society.

"We must go with caution. Next week everything should be resolved, although the British club's offer is very good, "he continued.

The positive aspect of the matter is that the helmsman cast colony was very hopeful that everything will have a good end.

Are they currently applying for the work permit? That's the main question. I thought I heard they had put the application in....

If they are, then nicko has already said that no club can come in while they're applying for it...but you can understand also why they havent signed anything yet aswell.

Are they currently applying for the work permit? That's the main question. I thought I heard they had put the application in....

If they are, then nicko has already said that no club can come in while they're applying for it...but you can understand also why they havent signed anything yet aswell.

OK, it's the natural pessimist in me. Comes after 46 yrs of watching rovers.

EDIT:

where does it say we have applied for a work permit?

I aint getting to hung up on this guy yet.

I remember when bolton signed Willhelmson(sp) Last year, The bolton fans kept drooling over youtube clips of him

running rings round players scoring spectacular goals, then he comes to england and well he didnt make much of an impact.

Same as Braaten.

my main concern if we get this guy is....is he strong enough for the prem? we've seen before how spanish and south american players are great with the ball at their feet but the prem doesnt tend to suit them because of how physical it is. he looks very light weight.

my main concern if we get this guy is....is he strong enough for the prem? we've seen before how spanish and south american players are great with the ball at their feet but the prem doesnt tend to suit them because of how physical it is. he looks very light weight.

Torres does alright though and Ronaldo would if he stopped diving and carried on instead of going down like a sack of Spuds whenever someone breathes on him. Juninho for Boro used to be tiny but was very tough and Zola (yes I know he's Italian) was pretty small but strong. Our own Matty Jansen was always getting knocked over and Bentley is the most fouled player this season if my memory serves me right but they get up and get on with it, and in Matty's case he's quite often retain the ball while lying on the ground, get u p and do something with it. It's more about attitude than about physique.

However, I think it's worth remembering names such as Marinelli and Hugo Viana before losing oneself in drooling anticipation. Life can make mincemeat of hopes, so I am, personally, tempering my expectations.

Hmmmmm, Carlos Pirelli. Seem to remember your good self advocating us going after him (the next great white hope), how times change eh?

I aint getting to hung up on this guy yet.

I remember when bolton signed Willhelmson(sp) Last year, The bolton fans kept drooling over youtube clips of him

running rings round players scoring spectacular goals, then he comes to england and well he didnt make much of an impact.

Wise words. He looks good alright and has had great reviews.

Wow!

Thwack!

Mentalists!

Sign him up!

Villanueva scored the winner in his last game for his club................The South American scored the winner in the 66 th minute as his team won 2-1 and will now head for England.....Welcome...........

Villanueva scored the winner in his last game for his club................The South American scored the winner in the 66 th minute as his team won 2-1 and will now head for England.....Welcome...........

Not that I don't believe you, unleaded, but three websites that I've looked at say Leal scored the winner. No idea if its right or not.

Someone has sent a question to Tim Vickery about Villanueva and Castillo and he has responded in his column

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7516842.stm - At the Your questions answered bit near the bottom

And for those who can't access the link:

How do you rate the two South American players, Carlos Villanueva from Chile and Segundo Castillo from Ecuador, that Blackburn are supposed to be interested in? Do you think they'll make the jump to the Premier League? Villanueva especially seems a gamble as he's had no experience of European football before.

Alan Sheppard

"They're both midfielders, but are very different players. Castillo is only 26, but has much more experience. An established international - 33 caps - he had a good World Cup, and was picked up by Red Star Belgrade. He's a defensive midfielder, a battler, with no great class but very strong and athletic.

Villanueva is the opposite. He's 22, has been an international for little more than a year (nine caps) and is a slight figure - but with real quality in his left foot. He can feature either as a playmaker or can play wide left, where he's not lightning pace but can curl in some lovely crosses. Can he up the rhythm of his game and can he cope with the physicality of the Premier League? I would love to think that he can - if so he can be a real asset to the English game - but Chileans are not always the best of travellers and I have to agree with you that he's a gamble."

Archived