BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Grimsby

Hasta

I know we don't normally preview the Carling Cup games but thought I'd start a thread for this one.

Despite the fact that it is seeming longer and longer ago, this competition still holds memories of our most recent success. In fact in my eyes this competition has advantages over the FA Cup. Due to it's place in the 'big fours' pecking order, it is still possible for the most mediocre of PremierLeague clubs to win it. Indeed witness Spurs' triumph last year. ;) Also the FA Cup now has it's semi-finals played at Wembley giving more expense to the fans and taking the gloss off the final. This competition still has the drama of a two-legged semi at the respective teams own ground, saving the visit to the new home of football for the final itself. Without doubt this is the best chance of silverware for us during the season. Let's hope Ince and his management team take it seriously to keep up our fine record in the competition during this millenium.

Wednesday night sees us back at Ewood for the second round of the Carling Cup against second division Grimsby. This looks an ideal chance for Ince to build more confidence, work on his style of play and maybe have a look at some players he's not seen play competitively under him yet. Grimsby appear to have had a shocking start to the new season. They have amassed only one point from 3 games with their only decent result being their defeat of Tranmere in the last round of this competition. Indeed the following comment is indicitive of the few posts regarding the forthcoming game that I can find on the net.

Buckley should field the reserves at Blackburn, accept the hammering they would get and save the fans wasted time and money for traveling over

I'm not sure where Carlos Villanueva was against Hull but hopefully we'll get our first glimpse of him at some point. A debut for Simpson is on the cards and i wouldn't be surprised to see Treacys name on the team sheet after an impressive pre-season. And for all you doom merchants, you never know maybe Fowler will have accepted whats on the table and get a kickabout.

With Rovers a best priced 1/4 to win the game in 90 minutes it should be a formality and most Rovers fans will be looking for entertainment and signs of good times to come. Should we get knocked out then anyone who only wants to read the positives better look away from this board for a good few days.

I'm going for 3-0. Job done without being spectacular.

Tickets are priced at the following:-

£12 Adults

£5 Senior Citizens

£5 Young Adult Season Ticket Holders

£5 Juniors/Team Rovers aged 15 and under

£5 16-21 Members

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure we'll put a relatively strong side out with a few of the fringe players likely to feature.

With Dunn injured we will hopefully see Villanueva add some creativity to the midfield, Simpson will probably get a try at right back, McCarthy might well come in upfront, possibly we may see the likes of Olsson and Treacey as well.

I really hope we get to see Simpson and Villanueva make their debuts. I know there is no room for complacency but Grimsby have had a shocking start to the season in League 2 so there should be the oportunity for players like the two above and then Treacy, Derbyshire and possibly Olsson to get good run outs and to still come away with a decent win. If we get a good look at Treacy he could soon be putting Pedersen under pressure after a good pre-season. I will accept nothing but a goal fest from this game :D

Olsson has a shoulder injury so he won't play.

I think the team will be:

GK. Robinson (give him some confidence)

RB. Simpson

CB. Samba

CB. Nelsen

LB. Warnock

RM. Emerton

CM. Villaneuva

CM. Reid (or Dunn if fit)

LM. Pedersen (maybe Treacy)

ST. Mccarthy

ST. Derbyshire

Subs: Jason Brown, Andre Ooijer, Tugay, Alan Judge, Pedersen/Treacy, Roberts, Santa Cruz

i always go to these games ,normally love them but after watching the passionless show on saturday I really dont know if i can justify paying 12 for another show like that,i mean bless their cotton socks two games in a week again ,how will their aching bones stand up to it.

0-0

I sat in on the press conference after the Hull game and the question was asked about the Grimsby game, Ince hinted that some of the players who played in Internationals last week would be rested and give him a chance to look at some fringe players.

No, he's rubbish.

Thats true and Treacy is ahead of him as the next LM, after Gamst.

On the game; I am hoping for a convincing win on this tie and a decent home crowd.

Team;

Robbo

Simpson (he needs a run and surely this is the game to blood him in the Blue & Whites)

Nelsen

Zurab

Warnock

Emu/Judge

Moko

Mr Pineapple

Treacy

McCarthy

Derbs

Subs: Brown, Big Chris, Ooijer, Reid, Emu/Judge, JR, RSC

Thats true and Treacy is ahead of him as the next LM, after Gamst.

On the game; I am hoping for a convincing win on this tie and a decent home crowd.

Team;

Robbo

Simpson (he needs a run and surely this is the game to blood him in the Blue & Whites)

Nelsen

Zurab

Warnock

Emu/Judge

Moko

Mr Pineapple

Treacy

McCarthy

Derbs

Subs: Brown, Big Chris, Ooijer, Reid, Emu/Judge, JR, RSC

Playing McCarthy these days is tantamount to playing with 10 men. I would play Roberts.

Is Mr Paul Gallagher still around...I'm sure he is because leaving would mean losing that tidy contract he teased out of Uncle Souness.

Maybe this would be a game for Gally to show he's got the mettle to fill the right wing berth.

Pigs might fly, springs to mind but we might as well try. Otherwise, Judge should start imo.

My team would be:

Robinson

Simpson, Zurab, Nelsen, Warnock

Emerton, Reid, Villanueva, Treacy

McCarthy, Derbyshire

I'm really looking forward to this game. I hope to see some fringe players getting some playing time and chance for some others to make their debuts.

Archived