BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul's Progress

Andrews is Irish but dont let that stop you from dropping your pants... ;)

Championship football is not the same as Premiership football, I agree we played some lovely stuff in that promotion season but it was a different division.

May be wrong but didnt Bentley play against Fulham last year, what was the score? That was a team on the downward spiral, this one was on a winning run...

Three out of four seasons with Hughes we played average football, with the last one being the poorest, Ince has stated from day one, he wants to play attractive football and wants his team to entertain, did Hughes ever say that?

Hughes got us into Europe two seasons running and took us to two FA Cup semi-finals and a League Cup semi-final. Talk is cheap, Hughes brought success. If Ince gets us into Europe twice and three semi-finals playing attractive, attacking football great. Until he does it's just rhetoric. I noticed that yesterday he was more than happy to win playing ugly football. Perhaps he's learning at last that the Premier League isn't quite like the bottom division and winning is all that counts at this level - we can but hope!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading the entire article I sort of got the impression that the financial backing he was expecting a matter of weeks ago when he took over might not have been forthcoming.

Poor interview. The sort of negative rubbish Souness used to come out with.

Nevertheless results have been ok(ish) and he can say what he likes for me in front of a mike if we win a Cup or qualify for Europe.

Five games in and not really overly impressed by PI, so far. I was baffled at the team selection against Fulham, but the substitutions proved to be the right trick... especially the timing of those substitutions.

I do agree with others that PI still needs a bit more time (usually game ten, is the yardstick).

May I ask - we do still have the LC game against Everton, on the 24th?

I know it's early in the season, but remember when Hughes was in charge, many were lamenting the way he handled the subs (timing and personnel).

Let's hope that Ince can learn from the Fulham match and get wins where Hughes would manage a loss or at best hang on for a draw.

Five games in and not really overly impressed by PI, so far. I was baffled at the team selection against Fulham, but the substitutions proved to be the right trick... especially the timing of those substitutions.

I do agree with others that PI still needs a bit more time (usually game ten, is the yardstick).

May I ask - we do still have the LC game against Everton, on the 24th?

Yes, we play Everton on Wednesday.

I get the impression that the closer a poster is to hearing what is going on inside the club, the more likely they are to be less favourably impressed by Ince.

There are certainly a lot of puzzled reactions about (for instance), why 1864 is not his usual self- and I have had no contact with 1864 so I can only go by what he posts.

I am physically a long way from the club but I do have a telephone and an internet connection.

I am just going to keep quiet and hope that the signs that things might be going in the right direction on the football pitch develop into a really good season irrespective of Paul Ince's media interview headlined in the news section of this website.

I'm sorry but you lot do talk a load of old tosh at times. 'Who knows more than who what is going on at the club and how bad things are' when in reality none of you know anything about the internal workings of the club. What I saw on Saturday was a team determined to win even though they started nervously but they were united at the end.

Let Paul Ince do his job and judge him on results and performance rather than rumour and conjecture.

Reading the entire article I sort of got the impression that the financial backing he was expecting a matter of weeks ago when he took over might not have been forthcoming.

Poor interview. The sort of negative rubbish Souness used to come out with.

Nevertheless results have been ok(ish) and he can say what he likes for me in front of a mike if we win a Cup or qualify for Europe.

totally agree very poor interview

out of the 5 games in the premiership, we have played 4 teams who were in it last term, arsenal (h) everton (a) west ham (a) fulham (h) and picked up 6 points in those 4 matches, in the same 4 fixtures last season we only picked up 3 points from those 4 matches.

Good point.

It makes me laugh all the negativity is pathetic. Last week everybody was saying why is Benni playing? Why is Reid Playing? Our defence is more open than Lady Mucka’s legs.

Weeks before that – Andrews is a league 2 player! Robinson is rubbish! Simpson is crap!

This week, Robinson made 2 class saves and kept us in the game (Meanwhile Friedel fumbled to allow West Brom their goal), Simpson looked very good, Andrews did well and both Reid & Benni didn’t even get on the bench! Add to that our defence was much more disciplined, seemed to of learned the offside rule and kept a clean sheet.

Ince is also pushing Treacy’s development quickly (which can only be a good thing?), he has signed a south American who looks like the natural Tugay replacement and he is only 22, He is giving Matty chances (Yes on the wing, but it all helps) and he is also not afraid to take under-performing players off (Pedersen, Roberts etc).

So far – other than lasts weeks non-performance I do not see anything to moan about. Give Ince time.

Derbyshire can play on either wing, because he is always looking to get the ball and run, and he is also willing to take a man on. When the opposition is tired, this can be very effective.

Emerton? You mean Emerton who got man of the match and never stopped working? Ha!

MGP was shifted to give Treacy a run, and also we dont have a right winger so why not try a left winger who can come inside on his left? Who would you rather there??

Derbyshire can play on either wing, because he is always looking to get the ball and run, and he is also willing to take a man on. When the opposition is tired, this can be very effective.

Emerton? You mean Emerton who got man of the match and never stopped working? Ha!

MGP was shifted to give Treacy a run, and also we dont have a right winger so why not try a left winger who can come inside on his left? Who would you rather there??

MGP has played part of lots of games on the right when our wingers have swapped sides to give the opposition something to think about. Pedersen was OK there on Saturday - not good but not the totally ineffective rubbish that most people seem to think. Why do we always have to go over the top? If someone's not amazing they have to be rubbish when sometimes they are just adequate.

:rover: what annoys me is what ever ince says he is pulled to pieces.ince has been at the club 4 MONTHS,getting to know the squad.we have had two international breaks and another on the horizon,ince obviously says the breaks are a hinderance,hughes accepted them but had been at the club 4 YEARS. The bentarse saga makes me laugh,those off you who know the pennant saga,will realise rovers have been left behind in the wages stakes,we cannot match liverpool squad players wages.theres no 100 million to spend on players,paul ince has to make do with a shoestring,this is why HUGHES left.until we find a buyer for the club we will struggle,but we as supporters have a duty to the club to support the TEAM and MANAGEMENT :wacko::brfc:

There's honest and there's over the top critical. Too many rovers fans are falling into the second category to justify their own preconceived ideas. I didn't honestly think we played at all well on Saturday for most of the game but I did feel we knew what we had to do and did it as well as possible in the circumstances with 2 first choice midfielders at least unavailable. I do feel that Ince is still finding his feet. I do feel that he will improve and begin to stamp his authority and style on the team. We moved up 8 places with a win and you'd think we'd lost and sunk into relegation territory instead of escaping it, to judge by the reactions of some fans. I too hear tales coming out of Ewood but I think there's agendas there too just as there seem to be on here.

There's honest and there's over the top critical. Too many rovers fans are falling into the second category to justify their own preconceived ideas. I didn't honestly think we played at all well on Saturday for most of the game but I did feel we knew what we had to do and did it as well as possible in the circumstances with 2 first choice midfielders at least unavailable. I do feel that Ince is still finding his feet. I do feel that he will improve and begin to stamp his authority and style on the team. We moved up 8 places with a win and you'd think we'd lost and sunk into relegation territory instead of escaping it, to judge by the reactions of some fans. I too hear tales coming out of Ewood but I think there's agendas there too just as there seem to be on here.

Does that mean it's OK for people to voice their opinion, as long as it doesn't upset you Gumboots?

I really am mystified by some members thinking that honest opinions, are only OK as long as they aren't anything that they personally don't want to hear. People being honest and saying what they think is good. It's good for debate, it's good for the club.

No because I don't get upset at other people's opinions but there are plenty who have an agenda and who refuse to change their opinions even if the evidence is there to show they are wrong. It's a bit like the flat earth society. We've all seen pictures showing the earth is definitely almost round but there are those who say they are not genuine just to fit their own idea that the earth is flat. Equally there are those here who would not give Ince any credit for anything he does right (and I can't remember your posts so that's not necessarily aimed at you) even when there is evidence. there are therefore those who will say he got lucky with his subs instead of thinking that perhaps, just perhaps he had a clear idea of what he wanted to achieve. As I've said countless times I'm not pro or anti Ince and I don't mind a good discussion but I don't like closed minds and hidden agendas.

but I don't like closed minds and hidden agendas.

You're a good poster Gumboots and I enjoy reading your posts, - but there is a closed mind if you can't accept criticism of the club/Ince above what you consider reasonable, but can accept praise in abundance.

This isn't aimed at you GB, it's just as much a point to people who only want to hear nice things. I'll leave it there.

The result is hiding some very puzzling and for most of the game ineffective tactics;

MGP on the right? Emerton in the middle? Derbyshire on the left (good job he came in central to score)?

Emerton was absolutely sperb in the middle; I would really like him to play there regularly.

This isn't aimed at you GB, it's just as much a point to people who only want to hear nice things. I'll leave it there.

You don't have to be constantly critical as you and some other posters are.

Why not pick up on a few positive points and post about those, at least then it appears you're supporting the club and not always running them down.

I am just going to keep quiet and hope that the signs that things might be going in the right direction on the football pitch develop into a really good season irrespective of Paul Ince's media interview headlined in the news section of this website.

But if you do get interesting news please do share it with us; some of us really enjoy your posts.

That works both ways though Den. There are posters on here who post when things are going badly and have slated Ince and his management team (in fact did so before a ball was kicked in anger) but will disappear when results are good.

Ince is not above reproach or criticism but when he is blamed for everything from signings it is ridiculous and I think that is what Gumboots is saying.

Interestingly Ince has been slated for signing Andrews but has recieved little/no credit for Carlos who (without a shadow of a doubt) would not be here if Hughes was in charge.

Interestingly Ince has been slated for signing Andrews but has recieved little/no credit for Carlos who (without a shadow of a doubt) would not be here if Hughes was in charge.
And to be completely fair, both are looking decent signings. (And for the record, Simpson's not looking like a waste of space either, Just Robinson (tricky job as he's replacing a club hero) and Grella to go then, and we're on for a clean sweep)

Archived