BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Captaincy

Tom

• Backroom

Right I'm just wondering if people think we have the right captain in Nelsen? when on song he's a rock but his form is more inconsistent than most.

Also he's linked with Spuds today.

The 2 questions are would you keep him as captain and who would you replace him with if he lost the armband or did make the move.

Personally I think Emerton would be a great choice, he has more drive in him than anyone in the squad and can see his passion and drive being infectious through the team.

Right I'm just wondering if people think we have the right captain in Nelsen? when on song he's a rock but his form is more inconsistent than most.

Also he's linked with Spuds today.

The 2 questions are would you keep him as captain and who would you replace him with if he lost the armband or did make the move.

Personally I think Emerton would be a great choice, he has more drive in him than anyone in the squad and can see his passion and drive being infectious through the team.

Oojer - and that's even if the Nelsen story is hogwash.

I also think passion-wise Emerton should be captain, but realistically speaking we could do with a better right back and we are still looking for a right winger/midfielder.

If we do sign both of these I cant really see him starting each game and it would be the Garry Flitcroft situation all over again.

A fully fit David Dunn would get my vote as captain. Warnock isnt exactly exemplary. In a couple of months maybe Grella could have a shot.

I also think passion-wise Emerton should be captain, but realistically speaking we could do with a better right back and we are still looking for a right winger/midfielder.

If we do sign both of these I cant really see him starting each game and it would be the Garry Flitcroft situation all over again.

A fully fit David Dunn would get my vote as captain. Warnock isnt exactly exemplary. In a couple of months maybe Grella could have a shot.

we'd play emerton in midfield then. He has to play if he's fit and how many of us would have said that just a couple of seasons ago?

I think Nelsen's an excellent captain. Whether he's a good enough player at the moment to get in the team is another issue, but if he plays I'm happy for him to be captain.

Well said, Scotty. I agree. But I still maintain that Ooijer and Zurab are the best pair of central defenders. Therefore, in the absence of Nelsen, Ooijer should be captain.

Well said, Scotty. I agree. But I still maintain that Ooijer and Zurab are the best pair of central defenders. Therefore, in the absence of Nelsen, Ooijer should be captain.

I've never heard as much rubbish in my life...I hope that was tongue in cheek.....I've seen milk turn quicker than Ooijer. The last time I saw Zurab start a game he was proper taken to the cleaners by Martin Petrov away at City.... :huh:

I've never heard as much rubbish in my life...I hope that was tongue in cheek.....I've seen milk turn quicker than Ooijer. The last time I saw Zurab start a game he was proper taken to the cleaners by Martin Petrov away at City.... :huh:

You are referring to both playing out of position at full back. Both are useless there.

I refer to centre back positions.

Would I ever post tongue in cheek? :rolleyes:

If only his performance on the field matched his performance as captain off the field.

Therein lies the problem - sometimes the best captains aren't the best players. That said, they do need to be good enough to keep their place on the team on their own performance levels, which is why (based on this season & last), if an acceptable offer came in for Nelsen I'd sell him.

Look back at Sherwood - a player that split opinions - but he was an excellent captain, regardless of whether he was an excellent player or lacked form sometimes.

Nelsen is a fantastic captain and leader, very similar to Berg IMO, but three things concern me about him. He's not consistent, he's dropped some real clangers this season, and I'm not 100% convinced he's over his injury without any lasting effect. I think Samba needs someone experienced alongside to guide him, awesome as he can be - he's still raw and not the sharpest pencil in the case. I rate Oojer very highly, as a player and as a captain, he makes up for his lack of pace with reading of the game and doesn't make as many mistakes as Rhino.

Warnock's a good suggestion, well spotted.

Therein lies the problem - sometimes the best captains aren't the best players. That said, they do need to be good enough to keep their place on the team on their own performance levels, which is why (based on this season & last), if an acceptable offer came in for Nelsen I'd sell him.

Look back at Sherwood - a player that split opinions - but he was an excellent captain, regardless of whether he was an excellent player or lacked form sometimes.

Nelsen is a fantastic captain and leader, very similar to Berg IMO, but three things concern me about him. He's not consistent, he's dropped some real clangers this season, and I'm not 100% convinced he's over his injury without any lasting effect. I think Samba needs someone experienced alongside to guide him, awesome as he can be - he's still raw and not the sharpest pencil in the case. I rate Oojer very highly, as a player and as a captain, he makes up for his lack of pace with reading of the game and doesn't make as many mistakes as Rhino.

Warnock's a good suggestion, well spotted.

Oojer the closest thing we have at the moment to Berg.

Since his injury we has lost a yard of pace which he could in afford to lose but seems now to struggle with pace of thought.

Archived