BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Jansen

den

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His first goal was a classic, controlled with his back to goal and turned Sol Campbell before lashing an unstoppable left footer into the net from 18 yards. The rout of the dingles at Ewood was fantastic day and many many more over the time he was with us.

Matt Jansen - Never to be forgotten and yet another reason to despise Eriksson for failing in his promise to our matty..

Good luck with the badges and come back sometime soon

ROVERS ONE AND ALL !!!

Having read the article, two things sprang to mind:

1) He does not expressly say that he is giving up his playing career at Wrexham - unless I missed it.

2) I can't help but feel that the article is mawkish. Yes, it's very sad that such a wonderful and burgeoning career was abruptly ended and he never got to play for England. But, inevitably, I can't help but think how fortunate he is. He is still alive and healthy and he has fantastic amounts of money. He's intelligent, i think, so it's not a case of him having no brains for anything else in life. He has so many opportunities open to him, if you think about it.

The footy career is always going to be a disappointment but if I was him, I wouldn't get carried away about the England thing. If he had gone with Sven's squad would he have played? Unlikely. He hasn't exactly missed out on being part of an immensely successful and inspirational squad. To be honest, and this will startle and then infuriate the partisans, if I was Jansen, I would be more regretful of having rejected Man U.

He should reflect on having been an uniquely gifted player who brought much excitement and joy to Crystal Palace and Rovers fans' hearts. In these days of pragmatic football, with long throws and "second ball success rate" statistics being served as the modern game, how much more I miss the Jansen, Duff and Dunn years.

Having read the article, two things sprang to mind:

1) He does not expressly say that he is giving up his playing career at Wrexham - unless I missed it.

2) I can't help but feel that the article is mawkish. Yes, it's very sad that such a wonderful and burgeoning career was abruptly ended and he never got to play for England. But, inevitably, I can't help but think how fortunate he is. He is still alive and healthy and he has fantastic amounts of money. He's intelligent, i think, so it's not a case of him having no brains for anything else in life. He has so many opportunities open to him, if you think about it.

The footy career is always going to be a disappointment but if I was him, I wouldn't get carried away about the England thing. If he had gone with Sven's squad would he have played? Unlikely. He hasn't exactly missed out on being part of an immensely successful and inspirational squad. To be honest, and this will startle and then infuriate the partisans, if I was Jansen, I would be more regretful of having rejected Man U.

He should reflect on having been an uniquely gifted player who brought much excitement and joy to Crystal Palace and Rovers fans' hearts. In these days of pragmatic football, with long throws and "second ball success rate" statistics being served as the modern game, how much more I miss the Jansen, Duff and Dunn years.

I don't think he's mawkish himself even if the tone of the article is. He's obviously got regrets - who wouldn't have? I think he does appreciate what he's got in his personal life and his family and there must be moments when he just thanks God he's alive because he so easily might not have been. However, if he can get back into football through coaching or management, whilst it would not be the best it would at least give him involvement in a sport he graced so well in his short career. It must be odd to think that your real career is over at the age of 30. He obvioulsy needs something to look forward to, something to give him the thrill that scoring goals used to. You never get it back totally but there must be something out there for him. I certainly hope so anyway. He was a lovely guy and a superb player for us. He looked like a puff of wind would blow him away but he was actually tough and took a lot of rough stuff in his stride, got up and came away with the ball.

Yeah, it's more the tone of the article. I'm sure Jansen doesn't droop around bewailing his lost stardom - even if he clearly misses the game badly.

Matt Jansen seems to be one of a dying breed. Footballers are becoming so functional these days. For example, when Rooney first emerged at Everton and for England, he was so thrilling to watch because he'd break the rules (not talking disciplinary). He'd get the ball and run and run and shoot, from wild distances - and score goals.

Whilst Rooney is still undoubtedly effective and an excellent talent, that sparkle seems to have gone. His game has become conventional.

My thoughts entirely - well said R6.

perhaps doesnt equate to scoring a vital goal to help us win a cup final...but i think i may have a solution for matty to find the hunger. Give him a role in our academy!! I coach the under12 side at my college and there is no better feeling than knowing you have helped young talent prosper.

This would be great because not only did matty have the undoubted talent, he was also the model professional. Skilful and modest. AND better yet, its at rovers, where he is bleedin royalty!!

Very sad. Obviously he's had an extremely fortunate life and should be grateful for the opportunities he has had, but in a footballing sense it was a shame to see such a talent wasted and sad to see him struggle like he has for a few years, he'll always remain one of my favourites. Hopefully he can get his badges and make it back here as a coach. A well-spoken and intelligent ex-footballer, we could do with a few more of those sticking around.

• Backroom

A huge shame for Matty, I feel for him as he seems like a down-to-Earth bloke who genuinely has a passion for the game and would have loved to pull on the England shirt. Still, I hope he goes on to complete his coaching badges and become a manager one day.

Who knows, maybe he'll be leading England out as a manager/assistant/coach rather than a player one day? ;)

A huge shame for Matty, I feel for him as he seems like a down-to-Earth bloke who genuinely has a passion for the game and would have loved to pull on the England shirt. Still, I hope he goes on to complete his coaching badges and become a manager one day.

Who knows, maybe he'll be leading England out as a manager/assistant/coach rather than a player one day? ;)

sad news for Matty, wish him all the best of luck to getting his coaching badges. If Steve Mcclaren can manage England you never know Matty might just do one day!!!

• 1 month later...

Looked very nervous and even emotional when talking about the crash. Also said that he doesn't want to close the door on his playing career and has got to give Wrexham answer today, if he decides to join them. Finally he said that if playing doesn't work out from him, he'll go into to coaching or the media. Came across as a nice chap.

Archived