BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester United Preview

Watched the game in Cornwall and everyone was so complimentary about the lads. I come on here and still there are posters who find fault in the team no matter what. The whole team played well and performed as a unit to stifle then pressurise Utd. I have never seen them so rattled as they were at the end and that includes fergie and the fans. probably the best performance since Chelsea at OT in the semifinal. I read down there that Sam has taken on the sports psychologist that helped the Ryder Cup team. He obviously has made a difference already. It was a stonewall penalty on Pedersen; it looked even more obvious on MOTD2 last night.

Correct.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Care for a re-think again Le Chuck - I see your backing for the officials is still in existence then, surprised to even see you post 'bad' and 'referee' next to each other :lol:

I've always said most of them are bad, I've never said otherwise. What annoys me is when these bad decisions are made that people say stupid things like "that's another one that needs their bank accounts examining" etc.

The big decision that Webb got wrong was no punishing for Ronaldo kicking out at Dunn, because that was blatant. For all Pedersen's "why would I go down?" talk, I still think it would have been a very soft penalty if given - there's barely any contact.

The big decision that Webb got wrong was no punishing for Ronaldo kicking out at Dunn, because that was blatant. For all Pedersen's "why would I go down?" talk, I still think it would have been a very soft penalty if given - there's barely any contact.

Agree , however as I have stated if he was 'clipped', however at the end of the day Rafaels arms where on Pedersen's shoulders and it was a foul and without a doubt would have been given had it been Utd attacking - also turn it around and had been Santa on Rafael etc and I am in no doubt that he would have blown for a freekick against us.

I hate it when players fall / dive but also hate it just as much when the officials miss what everybody else can see - no penalty there should have been a booking for Pedersen as its obvious the ref must have seen it as diving - penalty and it was a sending off ( which it was probably why he didn't ... )

Webb bottled it - not a mistake - and as such IMO should not be officiating.

Anyway, one thing we couldn't have him for is being inconsistent as he failed to react to Ronaldo's misdemeanour .. .oh but hold up that's two plusses for Utd and none for poor old Big Sam's team ( :brfc: )

Look no-ones arguing that the lads didn't do well, it was a good performance.

But we had golden chances to get a result and yet again we where found wanting. Two one on one situations missed, I expect everyone of our outfield players to hit the net, unopposed from 10 yards, pass it into the corner (as he tried, but it was harder to miss).

We're developing a habit of doing this recently its not a trait we need right now. It seems that we spend more time discussing what may have been than what was.

Any result against United would have instilled some serious belief in the lads, the first team in 13 to take points of them, at home, Christ we could have won it.

It was in our hands and we dropped the ball, again. If we keep passing over opportunities like this I fear for our future in this league.

If it wasn't a penalty then why not book Pedersen for diving?

Where's the consistency.

We need points from now till the end of the season. Hull and Fulham are crucial games and we MUST pick up maximum points. The game against Everton is winnable (maybe we could call Incey back for this one, he always seemed to beat em). They've lost Arteta for the season, so we should be looking to win that one.

Gonna be a rocky ride!

Yeah, Arteta is usually the one that causes us the trouble against everton...hopefully we can take advantage of his injury.

On Robinson, I think he was at fault for both goals. In my opinion Brad would have saved both. In fact, I think many people underestimate the effect that losing brad has had.

No, I don't think many do underestimate that, Sparky. Like me, they probably still have a sense of disbelief that Brad, the one player we expected to be loyal to the club, would end his playing days with us, but has gone.

Agree, he couldn't refuse the offer, etc, etc, but I still can't get my head round it.

What winds me up is that penalties can be given when there is no contact when there is deemed to be intent. Yet some people still insist on having a go at Pedersen, when he was tugged on the shoulder and Rafaels feet make contact with his. If the hands on the shoulder don't count as intent then I don't know what does.

Does anyone remember a game years ago when Ashley Ward got taken out by three men at once, and we didn't get a penalty? Seem to think it was against WBA but I might be wrong. He was through on goal, knocked it past the keeper and then the keeper and two defenders wiped him out. Play on said the ref.

What winds me up is that penalties can be given when there is no contact when there is deemed to be intent. Yet some people still insist on having a go at Pedersen, when he was tugged on the shoulder and Rafaels feet make contact with his. If the hands on the shoulder don't count as intent then I don't know what does.

Does anyone remember a game years ago when Ashley Ward got taken out by three men at once, and we didn't get a penalty? Seem to think it was against WBA but I might be wrong. He was through on goal, knocked it past the keeper and then the keeper and two defenders wiped him out. Play on said the ref.

I think that might have been the crucial game away at Charlton at the end of the 98/99 season.

I think that might have been the crucial game away at Charlton at the end of the 98/99 season.

I don't remember it being three people but that incident at the Valley was one of the worst decisions I'd ever seen at a match. That evening Alan Hansen said it was a cast iron a penalty and you could ever wish to see

Pederson.

He stopped being a flair player when we found out we were short at full back.

When he came he quickly became our main attacking threat both in the air and on the ground. Centring crosses for a small, aging Paul Dickov was not not going to get many teams worried was it.

As Hughes brought in class strikers - Bellamy, McCarthy, Santa Cruz (anyone think how lucky we've been to get these up front?) his role changed. His brief under Hughes and Allardyce for the last few seasons has been to cover the full backs first and then to attack.

If we get a sound defensive full back who knows?

You should be taking your hats off to a consumate professional who has gone from being a gangly kid to a strong top drawer professional who keeps himself very fit and will do what he is asked without question. One of the first on the team sheet who's clocked up the miles for the cause.

Here's to you Gamst.

I thought it was interesting that away from home and with little expectation, the boo boys favourites, Grella, MGP and Andrews played pretty well against man U.

Granted Andrews didn't do anything spectacular but was pretty tidy in possession and unlike at Ewood didn't panic anytime the ball came near him. So whether some of our players are good enough or not, we need to support every one of them at home.

At best, Andrews has been greeted by groans when he comes on at Ewood (or even when his name is read out for the starting line up). At worst his name is greeted by boos.

There has never been a time when Andrews has been cheered by his home fans, ever.

Can you honestly see that changing between now and the end of the season? I can't. Which is bizarre because we are currently in a backs to the wall relegation situation, and he isn't one of our naturally gifted players, and since our manager doesn't seem to think there's anyone better to play he should surely be afforded as much support as we can muster. But that won't happen.

Robinson on the other hand will no doubt be cheered as usual at home, and any half save will be met with the usual "England's number one". Even though his poor keeping has been directly responsible for goals being conceded and games lost this season, and even though he cost four times what Andrews did.

At best, Andrews has been greeted by groans when he comes on at Ewood (or even when his name is read out for the starting line up). At worst his name is greeted by boos.

There has never been a time when Andrews has been cheered by his home fans, ever.

Can you honestly see that changing between now and the end of the season? I can't. Which is bizarre because we are currently in a backs to the wall relegation situation, and he isn't one of our naturally gifted players, and since our manager doesn't seem to think there's anyone better to play he should surely be afforded as much support as we can muster. But that won't happen.

Robinson on the other hand will no doubt be cheered as usual at home, and any half save will be met with the usual "England's number one". Even though his poor keeping has been directly responsible for goals being conceded and games lost this season, and even though he cost four times what Andrews did.

You should support the shirt not the player - booing is the resort of mindless idiots.

Even I would never boo even Robinson in a Rovers shirt.. (Anyway he has the potential to be an excellent goalkeeper!)

Yes - away at Charlton, most blatent penalty not given in the history of football

If it wasn't a penalty then why not book Pedersen for diving?

Where's the consistency.

There's an extremely simple answer to this, and it reads thusly.

To give a decision, the referee has to be sure that it is correct, or as sure as he can be. The Ronaldo incident was so blatant that it was obvious enough that there was no contact, therefore the referee was able to book the player for diving without too much fear of reproach.

The Pedersen incident was unclear. It took several replays for fans where I was watching the game to start complaining, in fact a few laughed off the appeals of others at first glance. The referee wasn't sure there was contact, neither was he confident Pedersen had dived. The only option in that situation is to wave play on, rather than guess.

Don't forget these guys are scrutinized every time they make a decision and there is massive pressure to get things spot on. "I couldn't see it" is a much better defence than "I guessed" when you've got a decision wrong.

No way on this earth that Big Brad would of saved either of those 2 goals.

Cannot believe that Robinson is getting the blame. Yes for the 2nd he could have been a further 3 yards back, but with how late that ball would of been seen at that pace, no way in this world would he or Brad or Cech of saved it!

There's an extremely simple answer to this, and it reads thusly.

To give a decision, the referee has to be sure that it is correct, or as sure as he can be. The Ronaldo incident was so blatant that it was obvious enough that there was no contact, therefore the referee was able to book the player for diving without too much fear of reproach.

The Pedersen incident was unclear. It took several replays for fans where I was watching the game to start complaining, in fact a few laughed off the appeals of others at first glance. The referee wasn't sure there was contact, neither was he confident Pedersen had dived. The only option in that situation is to wave play on, rather than guess.

Don't forget these guys are scrutinized every time they make a decision and there is massive pressure to get things spot on. "I couldn't see it" is a much better defence than "I guessed" when you've got a decision wrong.

Nothing to do with it being at Old Trafford against Manchester United then, Incecticide? That never plays a part in any referee's decisions there?

Absolutely, Prof. Pedersen is an unsung hero, how many times has he headed the ball away from the net from on the line when the goalkeeper has gone missing? He does more defending than most of our defenders. Obviously it has an effect on his attacking, he can't be in two places at once. Pederson is the first to admit when he has not delivered the goods, he always gives 100 per cent, yet he is the first player to be picked on by many.

Which part of his game makes you think the potential is there Prof?

Sorry - I don't - this man will take us down - I said it on day one when he flapped and missed a cross he should have caught, and then I realised he just can't catch. I've played in a defence with a shaky keeper and it nerves the whole back four.

Everyone keeps saying - it's his confidence - he's an England keeper - he's class but lacks games- he needs time to settle - he has the potential.

We don't have to time to find out.

You should support the shirt not the player - booing is the resort of mindless idiots.

Even I would never boo even Robinson in a Rovers shirt.. (Anyway he has the potential to be an excellent goalkeeper!)

I'd never boo any of our players, ever.

I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy of a seemingly large portion of our home support when it comes to Keith Andrews.

Absolutely, Prof. Pedersen is an unsung hero, how many times has he headed the ball away from the net from on the line when the goalkeeper has gone missing? He does more defending than most of our defenders. Obviously it has an effect on his attacking, he can't be in two places at once. Pederson is the first to admit when he has not delivered the goods, he always gives 100 per cent, yet he is the first player to be picked on by many.

We should organise his testi :closedeyes: monial!

Archived