BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester United Preview

Fantastic performance by the lads- more of that and we will stay up no sweat.

The OT crowd whistling for the final whistle says everything about how we rattled them and the Mancs who were forced to bring Vidic, Tevez and Giggs on and still couldn't keep a lid on the Rovers pushing forwards.

Yes the officiating once again favoured Man U but we didn't let it get to us. There can be no doubt that had MGP done what Ronaldo did to Givet, he would have been sent off and if Ronaldo had gone down with two arms on his shoulder there most certainly have been a penalty to Man U.

Corner count was 6-4 in favour of the Rovers and both sides had 4 shots each on target.

Incredibly proud of the Rovers tonight- that is how we have always played against the Big 4 apart from the abject surrenders before Christmas. Well done Big Sam for setting the team up so superbly well.

From the BBC-

1927: That was a frantic end to the game, with Blackburn piling pressure on the United goal and cheers more of relief echoing around Old Trafford upon the final whistle. Great effort from Rovers, that - keep playing in that way and there's no way Big Sam's team will go down.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perform like that against hull next week and it'll be three points. But this is it, we need points not heartening performances. Keep the faith ladies and gentlemen. Lets be proud that once again, infront of the national telly cameras, Rovers hold their own against the "Big Boys" and get behind the Blue 'n' Whites for the rest of the season!!!

I expected nothing, we got nothing, but I'm gutted. Aside from some lazy play and sloppy final/dead balls we were excellent. We caused United problems had a good few shots and didn't give them that much. However can we sustain that effort for the run in? If we do we'll be fine. Roque scoring is good, that's why we kept him. I know it's asking a lot but 8-12 goals for the rest of the season from him and we will stay up.

I'm in full agreement on the penalty claim. If a red shirt went down in the box it would have been given.

Efan Ekoku on the commentary is doing my head in!! He's criticising everything we do, moaned about Tugay coming on as he offers nothing apart from sitting in front of the back four apparantley and can't do anything in the final 3rd, the other commentator soon shut him up when he said he was the last player to score an away league goal for us.

Moans for us not bringing a striker on when we need a goal and then as soon as McCarthy comes on he says it's too little too late!! He actually seemed to be on our side in the first half as well!

I usually like him but he was very annoying and very pro-Man U. I'm biased though. He started getting silly after their disallowed goal, going on and on about there being nothing wrong. About 5 minutes later he finally said that it shouldn't have been a corner in the first place. but I reckon the ref knew it wasn't a corner so looked for an easy excuse; Evans was fine but Ronaldo jumped into Nelsen.

I know I didn't give us a prayer, but daaaamn I'm gutted we couldn't get a point. Gonna try not to think about the bent officiating, because it's just not worth the stress. >___<

The lads should hold their heads up high, but I sure hope this defeat hasn't taken the stuffing out of them.

Diouf was the fresh air that the team needed. That extra bit of quality. I dont care what you think of the guy personally, as a footballer and for the price paid he will do a job for us.

Givet was exceptional. Bringing in a player on loan with such quality, and being able to stand up to a United attack like he did, he should be starting every game.

I don't know why Andrews wasn't bought of instead of Dunn. Yes Dunn was poor but he's more chance of doing something than Andrews.

Gamst was dreadful. But I cannot for the life of me stand Treacy. Help?

We have to fight like this every game. Up the blue and white.

impressed with givet and diouf in particular plus good to see rocky actualy care enough to celebrate, andrews was a ghost as normal, a few too many if onlys unfortunately, need to take every chance you get at old trafford :( like pedersens dive, why just why on earth didnt he just smash it even if on wrong foot hes professional footballer ffs.

If we can put the effort we did today in for rest of season I think we will be ok. I can see why sam played 5 in midfield, when we had 2 upfront united had so much space, especially with andrews the ghost in there. Respectable result, not many teams goto old trafford and only lose by one goal and look almost unlucky to not come away with a draw.

Fantastic performance by the lads- more of that and we will stay up no sweat.

The OT crowd whistling for the final whistle says everything about how we rattled them and the Mancs who were forced to bring Vidic, Tevez and Giggs on and still couldn't keep a lid on the Rovers pushing forwards.

Yes the officiating once again favoured Man U but we didn't let it get to us. There can be no doubt that had MGP done what Ronaldo did to Givet, he would have been sent off and if Ronaldo had gone down with two arms on his shoulder there most certainly have been a penalty to Man U.

Corner count was 6-4 in favour of the Rovers and both sides had 4 shots each on target.

Incredibly proud of the Rovers tonight- that is how we have always played against the Big 4 apart from the abject surrenders before Christmas. Well done Big Sam for setting the team up so superbly well.

From the BBC-

1927: That was a frantic end to the game, with Blackburn piling pressure on the United goal and cheers more of relief echoing around Old Trafford upon the final whistle. Great effort from Rovers, that - keep playing in that way and there's no way Big Sam's team will go down.

As a talking point, If the pederseon bit was not a penalty why did the ref not book pedersen for diving?

If Rovers take confidence from this game then they should have no fear against any team - chelsea, liverpool and arsenal included. Rovers will stay up.

A couple of points.

1. If Ince had been in charge it would have been a foregone conclusion. Thanks god those days are over.

2. Utd are still on the pitch training 7.40 - speaks for itself.

3. Givet - well what a performance and pace too! Super attitude - reminded me of Blackburn Rovers! Come and have a go if.... we need this type of player - Nelsen was good but might be looking at right back soon.

4. Utd fans whistling and RFW complaining about TOO MUCH TIME?????

5. BFS. whoaaa this was better than anything previously seen. Good tactics and if you're loosing then OK sub the key players and keep Dunn and Grella fit FFS or it's curtains this season.

6. Diouf - Excellent. I was wrong and the pies in the oven. If you think we have a better winger in the club you don't know football matey.

7. RSC - cold shower for the wife - too many beers! Oh stay bud we might not have an underwear range but we will give you a poundstretcher hat at Christmas!

8. The Ref. Got one for us wrong and one for them.

9. The score - mmmpphhhh...ab-ou-t - right.

10. We need a goalkeeper. It could be the deciding factor.

Much more like it. Lets hope the

PS. Can anyone tell me how you keep Warnock in position. Good when there - bad when none existant. = tough training.

Postscript

RFW on SETANTA (rattled) - Did you deserve a victory? "Just - only just." say it all. Map to Plymouth back in drawer.

WE GOT OUR ROVERS BACK tonight.

To be honest I don't think our perormance was as good as some people think (I know we were playing against a very good United team). First half was dire apart from the goal. Second half was an improvement. One or two players look unfit and overweight i.e. Dunn. Grella doesn't look good enough to me. The midfield is at times completey non existant. Diouf worked very hard and ran a lot and we were unlucky with the effort that came off the post. I also think Robinson was too far off his line for the 2nd goal.

Rubbish. Who wanted the final whistle then?

Has he scored one for us yet? Must be fairly recent if he has, I remember he hadn't done not too long ago.

No but he did everything right tonight.

ronaldo... what a fantastic player.... but an absolute disgrace.... 2nd goal should not have happened... booked for diving and then kicking out and at dunny... ok only a tap but if it was dunny who did that too ronaldo, then god forbid.

Ronaldo should be reffered to the Fa, where he should recieve a 3 match ban, but it makes me so angry that this wont happen.

However not bad, givet was solid, hopefully buy him, looking forward to next weeks game :-)

It's so frustrating. We have half a decent side here: the defence and attack are very good, but we have a weak goalie and a clapped-out set of midfielders. Interesting fact on the tv commentary: Dunn has not lasted 90 mins for more than a year now, and he's our secret weapon for staying up? I think not. 5 in midfield is the only way we will get out of this mess, which today showed. Even then, Warnock on the wing instead of MGP is a must with Givet at LB.

Sam gave a good interview: the Nelsen/Diouf double miss was the turning point. OK, Nelsen is not a striker but I was disappointed Dioff didn't just smack it one. And MGP should have kept going, it was 90% dive 10% foul for me and he was in the best position we achieved the entire game. Pussy.

HEartening to see we can still give the big boys a game but it counts for sod all unless we can get results against the other 15 clubs

As a talking point, If the pederseon bit was not a penalty why did the ref not book pedersen for diving?

Quite simply because he bottled it - there is no other explanation . Really gutless by the ref either way .

One point I'd like to raise , though . Why the hell did Pederson not simply stay on his feet and put the ball in the net ? Had he forgotten he was at Old Trafford ?

Some simple points:

Ronaldo should NOT have been on the pitch, kicking out at a player in front of the ref is a RED card offence, at the very least a yellow and he had one anyway.

Evans "goal" is not worth discussing, it was 100% not a corner, MGP was like a foot away from the ball!

People you may laugh but I think potentially Coventry away could be our biggest game of the season. We have lost two games on the bounce, IF we beat Coventry then that should set us up nicely for Hull away, lose and thats three straight defeats.. wins breed confidence.

There is also no point in highlighting Robbo, there is NO WAY BFS is going to drop him, we cant sign anyone else so lets just hope that to the end of the season he helps keep us up, he is potentially an excellent goalkeeper.

Fergie is a joke:

"The referee spoke to him when he flicked out and Ronaldo said the boy kicked him and the referee gives him a sort of warning.

“It was no more than a flick and you see it time and time again but because it is Ronaldo you are making a meal of it and so will the press tomorrow."

Did Ronaldo lash out at a player in front of the referee?

Can Fergie name another incident where a player has lashed out and has not been sent off?

I cannot stand his hypocrisy. :angry:

Because a lot of his crosses were bad, apparently.

And have been for years. From what i gather he is a winger and his main job is to put decent balls into the box...

Perhaps i was harsh with Pedersen in the early stages of the game and he did contribute more as the game went on. I still however think we should look to offload him in the summer, he is not the player he was and there are no signs that he will rediscover that form.

From the BBC-

We put in 2 good performances against Redscum the last time we went down. A brave 2-3 with 10 men at OT then a battling 0-0 at Ewood after a total surrender aagainst Forest a few days before.

Hull away is a must win game. A draw won't be good enough.

Some simple points:

Ronaldo should NOT have been on the pitch, kicking out at a player in front of the ref is a RED card offence, at the very least a yellow and he had one anyway.

Evans "goal" is not worth discussing, it was 100% not a corner, MGP was like a foot away from the ball!

People you may laugh but I think potentially Coventry away could be our biggest game of the season. We have lost two games on the bounce, IF we beat Coventry then that should set us up nicely for Hull away, lose and thats three straight defeats.. wins breed confidence.

There is also no point in highlighting Robbo, there is NO WAY BFS is going to drop him, we cant sign anyone else so lets just hope that to the end of the season he helps keep us up, he is potentially an excellent goalkeeper.

Agreed with it all except for the Robbo bit. There's every point in highlighting him, just like there is with anyone else in the team. It's a point for discussion.

And Robbo is not an excellent keeper. The only time he could have been described as anything approaching excellent is so long ago that its irrelevant. If we sell Santa for big bucks and there's a cheap £2 million keeper going in summer who looks half decent, I hope we snap him up. Or promote Bunn if he's any good.

Archived