BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester United Preview

Was pretty pleased with how we played today, looked pretty tired at the end, but still had an opportunity to level it..

Robinson - not too impressed with his showing today

Warnock - wasteful passing in the first half, but okay

Nelsen - good defending, but poor distribution in first half. how many times are you going to hit the post?!

Givet - I like

Ooijer - Very good today

Pedersen - didn't think he was awful, but poor set pieces and I wish he would've shot that one chance..

Grella - average

Andrews - I think we would've been much better off with Mokoena. Honestly.

Dunn - Had a lot to do because of Grella's averageness and Andrews' disappearing act... did alright

Diouf - good game

Santa Cruz - Faded badly in the second half, but he's so good at retrieving high balls! Well taken goal

Tugay, Treacy - didn't do much and took off Dunn and Diouf who were doing well... why didn't Andrews come off?

McCarthy - didn't have much time, but tried

The refs were absolutely horrible though... proud of our Rovers, perhaps we could've taken a deserved point if it weren't for this officiating crew. Let's beat Hull!!

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main problem at the moment is we are always starting the game with effectively 10 men. Okay, Pederson doesn't always produce in terms of quality but he's always involved, attacking wise and defensively. Even Dunn, who had a pretty poor game, received the ball a lot and we saw a lot of him.

However, Kieth Andrews..............Where can I start! He is a liability in defence, as evidenced by his constant giving away of free kicks in dangerous positions (I can think of at least 3 when the oppostion have scored). He doesn't produce anything attacking wise either. The whole game today I heard his name once....and that was when he gave away the free kick-not an exaggeration. I dont know if anyone can get access to the statistics for touches of the ball, but I'm sure it must have been a record for the least number of touches for a player playing 90 mins. And to think Sam kept him on. I continue to hope, probably in vain, that Sam finally sees sense and Andrews does not play against Hull

Who do we play instead of Andrews then?

Whats wrong with Dunn and Grella. And no matter how bad Mokoena is, at least he gets stuck in and helps out defensively. Admittedly, we have a serious lack of options but I have lost all faith in Andrews over the last few games.

I'm not sure whats wrong with Vogel, but since bouth Sam and Ince don't feel he can cut it anymore, I wont mention him as a viable option.

So, so pleased we're the first team in 15 to even score against United. I just hope the boys can take something from this performance and get out of the relegation zone.

Keep the intensity up in the second half lads, they're in unchartered territory now.

What is wrong with you. Roque's body language is smooth. He scored a sublime goa,l relax. Roque is the real thing. You do not know how to read body langauage. Shut up!

Guest Kamy100

Superb performance from the team tonight, despite not getting anything the lads will take a lot of confidence from that.

Sam's tactics, especially in the 2nd half were spot on, we caused them allsorts of problems and to see the OT crowd praying for the final whistle showed how well we have done. The 4-5-1 system worked very well, it I think for away games that may be the way to go. Givet looked very good. In many ways this was the type of performance we produced under Hughes when we played the so called "top four" also looks like Sam is starting to get the team to believe which is going to be vital.

Still in the relegation zone but if we keep playing like that then we WILL get out of it.

Well done to the players, management and fans tonight.

This was a very encouraging performance from Rovers tonight and despite the loss, I have more confidence that we can survive. Like most people I fell that we were hard done by. That was definitely a penalty on Pedersen and I would like to see Ferguson come on television and say that wasn't a penalty if it were the other way around. Ronaldo could easily have been sent off before his goal, which was a great strike, but Robinson should have done better. Evans goal was fine, but the corner shouldn't have been and I wouldn't have said it was a free kick - how many times do we see players body checking players to let the ball run out of play and not get called up for it. Nelsen and Diouf had two great chances to score and if we had gone 2-1 up, we would have had a really good chance of getting a point from the game. The key now is to take that performance into the Hull game and get something from it. With 3 of our next 4 games on the road, we need to win some points, so we don't get caught a drift!

Givet was superb today, think he should be playing every week, either in the centre or on the left. Bad ref today, its not like utd need the extra help with tens of millions pounds worth of talent on the pitch and the bench. just gotta keep up the pride and passion we showed today for the rest of the season. Not sure if Dunny's carrying an injury at the moment as he's not quite as sharp as he should be, he was very poor in the first half. Robbo far too off his line for the 2nd goal.

but for the love of god, drop andrews, play anyone in his place, he's just a headless chicken on the pitch in the premiership.

Superb performance from the team tonight, despite not getting anything the lads will take a lot of confidence from that.

Sam's tactics, especially in the 2nd half were spot on, we caused them allsorts of problems and to see the OT crowd praying for the final whistle showed how well we have done. The 4-5-1 system worked very well, it I think for away games that may be the way to go. Givet looked very good. In many ways this was the type of performance we produced under Hughes when we played the so called "top four" also looks like Sam is starting to get the team to believe which is going to be vital.

Still in the relegation zone but if we keep playing like that then we WILL get out of it.

Well done to the players, management and fans tonight.

Spot on

Once again we get robbed at Mould Trafford. My hatred of United deepens with every passing game they play. What a shower of absolute scum.

My sentiments exactly.

However, a very encouraging performance from rovers. If we can perform like this till the end of the season we should achieve safety.

I also agree with those saying Sam's eye for a bargin sems promising too. For a club like rovers this is vital, and I'd argue it has to be one of the top requirements for our managers. It's heartening that the early signs are that Sam has this.

Well...........I told you so........It doesn't give me pleasure........It just makes me angry again.

I said they would play out of their skins. They would cover themselves in glory. They would get no points.

But everyone would say, "Didn't they give Utd a fright and a good run for the money".

Would it not have been better to have won 3-0 against Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Coventry City and then lost 5-0 to Man Utd??

If that had happened we would have had 27 points, been in the sixth round looking forward to hosting Chelsea, and been one goal the better in the goal difference.

Time for Sam to giive the hairdrier treatment and instill a sense of urgency in EVERY game and not just the games against the top 5.

WE NEED TO BEAT THE SUNDERLANDS AND MIDDLESBROUGHS OF THIS WORLD!!!!! FFS!!!!! :angry:

Dunny was out of form. Nelsen was average. The rest played well, especially Ooijer, RSC, Warnock and MGP

Just got back from the game and I'd be very interested to see the highlights on MOTD because my impression at the time was that the game hinged on two extremely poor decisions by Howard Webb.

Firstly I thought Ronaldo was allowed to move the ball about 5 or 6 yards in for the free kick from where the offence actually took place, and also to a far better angle for a shot.

Secondly the Pedersen incident was a stonewall penalty (and sending off) in my eyes.

So having expected nothing, to lose so controversially is all the more frustrating. We started off like rabbits caught in headlights and could have been more than one down by the time they scored. (That was poor defending by Nelsen - he should either have left it for Robinson or put it firmly out of play. In the event he did neither.)

Then we scored with our first serious foray forward and grew steadily in confidence the more the game went on. I thought the second half was the best we've played since Everton away on the opening day. What a relief to finally see some fight and spirit. Can we keep it up? Not holding my breath but you never know.

Individually I thought Roque was superb, especially in the second half, United just couldn't handle him in the air and we could have done with someone a bit closer to him to capitalise on the knockdowns. Dunny was very poor I thought and looked physically knackered after ten minutes.

What is wrong with you. Roque's body language is smooth. He scored a sublime goa,l relax. Roque is the real thing. You do not know how to read body langauage. Shut up!

Think you were quoting the wrong person there, I didn't say anything about Roque and I praised the lads performance.

Just watched MOTD and it was so clear that it should have been a pen, Rafael's arms were all over Pedersen. Interesting to see Sam's reaction as well to the penalty chance.

Didn't see much wrong with the Evans goal, though it shouldn't have been a corner in the first place.

Ronaldo is such a talented player but he shows real petulance at times. Another game, another ref, he could have been sent off.

Sam now needs to drive home the positives from this game into our upcomming games to give us a real boost and self belief.

Manchester United assistant manager Mike Phelan:

"We've done our job, that's all we can do so now we move on to the next one.

"It's never easy playing against Sam Allardyce's teams and that was shown today.

"Games seem to be about controversy all the time. I think the referee is right on the spot and he didn't give it.

"We can only stand by what the officials do."

Yep. We're no longer Blackburn Rovers, we're just one of the minnows BFS has managed.

Sickening.

Have to say I agree with most on here but at least we gave United a fright and showed some fight and belief to get something out of it ref made some poor decisions should hold his head in shame it was a stonewall pen in the 2nd half and after SAF's lies then to not turn up for the after match interview that is an admission of guilt in my eyes and to have the nerve to say Pederson dived TBH was proud of all the players today gave 110% if they play like that till the end of the season we will survive but against Hull next Sunday we need the 3 points 1 point will not be good enough also have to applaud Big Sam for keeping his composure when head to head with SAF if that had been me I would have either nutted SAF or at best caused a severe scuffle.

here's hoping they fail to win the league. & good luck to the lads on Sunday

Yep. We're no longer Blackburn Rovers, we're just one of the minnows BFS has managed.

Sickening.

EH !!!!

Whats all that about ?

Was we just one of Paul Inces minnows.

Sorry Mr.E but all at Blackburn Rovers can take great heart from todays showing. Yes, the weaknesses have been pointed out quite clearly by board members on hear but today the marketing people should be relatively pleased that the club got some quality airtime that showed the club in a very positive light.

The two big Sam signings seem a million miles from Inces dead ducks, hopefully if Sam can continue this trend then happy days are ahead of us again.

Watched MOTD after I read this and you're right. Another one to add to the list...

Hmmm......... not sure now, on watching the highlights I thought the free kick was actually ok.

Viewing it at a low down angle from the other end of the ground in real time I was under the impression Webb had blown for the earlier challenge by Diouff.

The penalty incident on the other hand just gets worse and worse every time you see it. What a joke.

Why don't they just save the bother and scrap the games involving "the big four" and the other sixteen clubs and let them play each other twelve times a season?

After Mike Riley got in such trouble for making a mistake against Lampard in the Chelsea V Liverpool game the other week, do you think Webb will get in similar trouble for making an equally bad decision in favour of Man Ure?

More flying pigs over head.

:angry:

While I understand morale victories won't keep us in this division I for one am very very encouraged by the performance. Can we please play like that every week. I don't know why the Utd goal was disallowed but justice was done cos it was never a corner in the first place.

As for the penalty, I think Pedersen went down too easy, he may have been better trying to stay on his feet and go one on one with the keeper. That said, by the letter of the law it was a penalty, Rafael clearly made a big effort to get both his hands on Gamst, interestingly enough a little while later Roque put one hand on Rio's shoulder and it was whistled immediately.

Good all round performance, though I have to question why Robbo did not try to spread his body for the Rooney goal. I also question the positioning of the ball for Girlymans goal but why do we insist on making a challenge like that in the first place is beyond me.

More performances like that and we will be OK, I thought Dunny was off his game a bit today, as if he lacked a little confidence. A bit better from him and we could well have won it. Now the big question is, which team shows up for the rest of the season, the one that played Villa and the second half of the Coventry match or the team that battled so well today, the ones that actually looked like they wanted to win. Well done lads I really appreciate you making a real fist of it and keeping me infront of the telly past halftime..

Now the big question is, which team shows up for the rest of the season, the one that played Villa and the second half of the Coventry match or the team that battled so well today, the ones that actually looked like they wanted to win.

That's the 64m dollar question USA.

Perhaps Sam should take that quote and pin it up on the dressing room wall.

Archived