BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester City V Rovers

Dear me there's some rubbish written on here, presumably from people who were not at the game. I'm just back and, given the circumstances it was a damn sight better performance than the last two away games. Inevitably we did not have a real threat up front but given we were playing with a centre back and a forward carrying a knock in the first half and later on with a left winger as lone striker that's not too surprising. Even so, we had the majority of the ball and had more shots than City and it's while since we could say that away from Ewood. For half an hour City barely got into the Rovers half and with Grella and Tugay passing the ball in the centre of midfield it was a long way from the hit and hope we have played. Then City score two very scrappy goals from nowhere and we are then completely undone by a dreadful penalty decision. No doubt the ball hit Givet's arm but from a range of about a yard it was difficult to see what he could have done about it. To add insult to injury Mike Dean then booked no less than three players for arguing. Then to compound that there was a handball at the beginning of the second half by Dunne which was much more of a shout but of course not given. To be honest I wouldn't have given either of them but certainly Dunne's was much more debatable.

We then had most of the second half play but with no strikers on the pitch didn't really threaten until we faded in the last 15 minutes - knackered I imagine. Despite the scoreline City were indeed woeful - they played better at Ewood at Christmas and they weren't great then. It says something when the home team is 3-0 and 3-1 up and they are time wasting.

Blimey John, can't agree with you there at all.

I thought we were as creatively non existent as we were against Liverpool and Stoke without any of the determined and resolute defending we saw at Stoke. The game was over as a contest inside half an hour when we shipped the second goal.

Mentally the players looked as if they were already on the beach and I got the impression this was yet another game management had written off. Needing three goes to convert a penalty just about summed up our efforts today.

A very depressing performance. We might just stagger over the line this season but these sort of displays simply won't cut it next season.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrews is a limited player, and a remnant of the board's poor decision to invest in League One personnel - both managerial and playing staff. But feh, I'm fed up of this debate.

Was okay, a top day out, the fans certainly had a good time.

Robbo 6

Ooijer 4

Nelsen 6

Givet 7

Warnock 7

Diouf 5

Grella 7

Tugay 6

Pedersen 5

Samba 6

Benni 5

Can we have Samba back where he belongs for the Portsmouth game, please?

Givet did a great job filling in for him but Lord knows Big Chris doesn't belong up front. Once he went off and we were "forced" to get it down and pass it we looked up to being a Premiership side, more or less - if we'd played that way for 90 minutes I'd feel seriously hard done by leaving without at least a point.

Based on the second half and going into the Pompey game I'd like to see Sam try something like this:

Robinson

Ooijer

Samba

Nelsen

Givet

Warnock

Grella

Andrews

Diouf

Villanueva

Pedersen

Big mistake. By the BBC.

Peds performace was dire, as bad as I' seen from him.

I thought he might have turned the corner after the Wigan game when he showed some of the qualities he used to do on a regular basis. How wrong was I! Back to square one...

I'm sorry but if there is a chance we can offload him in the summer we should take it, he needs a new challenge and we need to bring in someone fresh.

On the game, well I can only go off what I heard on the Radio. By the sounds of it we were the better side and City weren’t really a threat until the 27th minute when a shocking piece of defending let City take the lead. After that we collapsed and they scored two more.

I listened to Radio Lancs and Dinnis reckons the players looked like they thought they were home and dry and on holiday, thing is until it’s mathematically so we aren’t safe and we should know that going into our remaining games.

If you only heard it on the radio how can you say how awful Pedersen was?

No offence but that’s rather a stupid question. Even relying on just a radio you can generally tell how well a player is playing.

All I kept hearing on the radio was Pedersen couldn't keep the ball, passing was dire, crossing was @#/?. You also could hear the groans of the commentator/summariser.

I've also spoken to family and friends who went to the game and what they saw backs up what I heard on the radio.

Did you go to the game? Did you watch it? How would you rate Pedersen’s performance?

Why was Grella appealing on the LINE for the first goal, instead of - I don't know - going for the ball?

EDIT: Hah! Hansen asked the same thing!

Because hes crap topman !

• Backroom
No offence but that’s rather a stupid question. Even relying on just a radio you can generally tell how well a player is playing.

All I kept hearing on the radio was Pedersen couldn't keep the ball, passing was dire, crossing was @#/?. You also could hear the groans of the commentator/summariser.

I've also spoken to family and friends who went to the game and what they saw backs up what I heard on the radio.

Did you go to the game? Did you watch it? How would you rate Pedersen’s performance?

Confession: I wasn't at the game nor did I listen to all of it. A lot of Pedersen's work is off the ball though and that is one thing he doesn't get credit for.

Seems there is mixed reviews on how he played from people who were there, hence why I asked how you knew.

No offence intended I sometimes just feel he cops too much of the blame.

Match stats:

Possesion -

Man City 49.1%

Rovers 50.9%

Shots -

Man City 12

Rovers 16

On target -

Man City 4

Rovers 6

Saves -

Man City 2

Rovers 1

Sounds like we just didn't get the rub of the green today, and paid for our defensive lapses. Disappointing result, but we're still looking okay for now. The Portsmouth game could be very decisive.

It was pretty much like that. We didnt play great, but we didnt play as bad as we have done in the past this season. We didnt get much luck 2 defensive errors cost us and the ref as usual was inconsistent. As for Diouf his penalty wasnt the worst, just Given got down well to it.

After todays results we are 1 game closer to safety and so far in the exact same position as we were when we still had 4 to play.

It was pretty much like that. We didnt play great, but we didnt play as bad as we have done in the past this season. We didnt get much luck 2 defensive errors cost us and the ref as usual was inconsistent. As for Diouf his penalty wasnt the worst, just Given got down well to it.

After todays results we are 1 game closer to safety and so far in the exact same position as we were when we still had 4 to play.

Losers ...always... blame the referee Hughesy and avoid how poor their team is and the faults it has !

Confession: I wasn't at the game nor did I listen to all of it. A lot of Pedersen's work is off the ball though and that is one thing he doesn't get credit for.

Seems there is mixed reviews on how he played from people who were there, hence why I asked how you knew.

No offence intended I sometimes just feel he cops too much of the blame.

No offence taken.

I can't argue against his defensive qualities or work rate, however he is a winger and for some time his attacking performances haven't been good enough. He's never been the player who will attack a defender with pace and beat him, but he compensated by putting in a decent cross from out wide or with a set piece. He also used to get himself in positions where he could use his aerial ability to cause the opposition some trouble.

He’s a shadow of the player he once was and I don’t think he can get that back. Perhaps he needs a new challenge, most players get to a point where they need to move on in order to get that spark or drive back.

If there is an opportunity to bring someone else in and sell Pedersen then I hope Sam seriously considers it.

If you're right and you may well be season tickets sales will take a massive hit.

Of course they will, if the players brought in dont come upto scratch, I know I will be waiting to see who comes in to base my assessment to see if these guys do it at this level to make it worth while investing in a season ticket.

Needing three goes to convert a penalty just about summed up our efforts today.

Rum do that. Elano's penalty was almost identical in direction and pace to Spits except that Given went the right way and Robinson went the wrong way. I wasn't at the game but listening on the car radio and when the pen was given I said to er indoors that Robbo should dive to his left cos most of Elano's pens go to the right. He didn't so maybe I've seen more of Elano than Robinson. :rolleyes:

I had us down for something out of todays match but admittedly only after watching highlights on MoTD it does seem that luck played a big part in all City's goals.

name a better central midfield player who will be at ewood next season?

How can we do that?......... We haven't signed him yet.

No offence taken.

I can't argue against his defensive qualities or work rate, however he is a winger and for some time his attacking performances haven't been good enough. He's never been the player who will attack a defender with pace and beat him, but he compensated by putting in a decent cross from out wide or with a set piece. He also used to get himself in positions where he could use his aerial ability to cause the opposition some trouble.

He’s a shadow of the player he once was and I don’t think he can get that back. Perhaps he needs a new challenge, most players get to a point where they need to move on in order to get that spark or drive back.

If there is an opportunity to bring someone else in and sell Pedersen then I hope Sam seriously considers it.

He put a shift in today, but far too many of his passes were way off target. Through the middle he did alright at what Sam clearly asked him to do in place of Samba - win the header and knock it down, which he consistently did in a far more controlled way than the big fella. As an aside, I didn't realise quite how big a unit that Kompany was until I saw him mark Samba.

Morten needs to sit down with Sam and have a long chat, then work out a plan to build him back up, or failing that selling on for a fresh challenge. With all the other changes we need to make in the summer, and his value low due to his form, he might be worth keeping on as a project for one more season (or half a season) just for the sake of continuity.

Not really enough to make a definite comment. It's dangerous ground. All you are doing is regurgitating somebody elses opinion and this board frequently illustrates how variable that can be.

On the other hand he is one of the current favourite targets. :rolleyes:

• Backroom
No offence taken.

The problem is, who would you replace him with? When we try Treacey there we look far worse as an outfit and there aren't many good left wingers around in our budget.

I also heard what Richard Dinnis had to say about it on the radio.

Well after listening to Dinnis's comments regarding Tugay, it's no wonder he's no longer in the game and just a football pundit.

Not really enough to make a definite comment. It's dangerous ground. All you are doing is regurgitating somebody elses opinion and this board frequently illustrates how variable that can be.

If a player for example has taken five corners in the first half, and the commentator tells the audience what happened with each corner and lets say for argument sake that each one hasn’t cleared the first man then you get a rough idea that the delivery isn’t up to scratch.

If a midfielder has taken five shots from 25 yards out all of them have gone wide, then you form an opinion that his shooting boots aren’t on today.

You have a point if the radio commentator or summariser gives their opinion about a players performance and you go off that, however in most cases like the examples I’ve pointed out you can make that judgement yourself by listening to the play.

If I’ve missed a game and have had to rely on the radio then I always check with family and friends who may have gone to the game to gauge their opinion on what they thought of a certain player’s performance, key incidents etc. I also always try to view some highlights of the game. If at any point I’ve been wrong then I hold my hands up.

On the other hand he is one of the current favourite targets. :rolleyes:

So you have been happy with his performances Gordon for the past few seasons?

The problem is, who would you replace him with? When we try Treacey there we look far worse as an outfit and there aren't many good left wingers around in our budget.

Thats not my problem, thats the job of the scouting and management.

All i know is that as an attacking force he has been dire for 2 seasons, if people value his workrate and defensive qualities so much and don't care about his offensive qualities (you should he is a winger) why don't you suggest that he becomes a left back?

Sam may not find a player suitable and we end up keeping pedersen for another season, fair enough if thats the case. However if there is someone sam has in mind and a decent bid comes in for Pedersen then i hope Sam considers it.

Pedersen had a great game against Wigan, it helped that he was playing in his proper position with a proper left back behind him.

He has attracted criticism for his second half performance today (I could hear it in the lower tier and I've read it in this thread) but IMO - today - that criticism is misplaced. Pedersen's no centre forward so why the f*** was he playing up front on his own? It's been clear for a month that Samba is no centre forward either, so why the f*** is he still being dumped there?

Roberts and Santa have been injured for weeks - it's beyond belief that 7 players can be named on the bench but there's not a proper centre forward in the 7 names.

Archived