BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 'taking Back' The Darwen End

So to put the family stand in the J.W upper you are asking them to pay full price for adults and children that would turn more away than encourage them.

Where on earth in my post did I say I'd put the price up for adults with kids or their children??? As it happens I'd reduce your prices further. Your solution - keep things as they are in the best of all possible grounds. Bloody brilliant. Plus ca change et all that. If it's not broke don't fix it. Glad to hear we do not have a problem - waste of time this entire thread. Sunday never happened.

All points made are merely up for debate - except you and the retired and buried brigade ( after all I'm still under 50 - just) stick your necks in the sand and do nowt. And yes - I've sat up and down in all three stands and in the puny riverside also - season tickets in most as well. If it helped the club I would move from my present seat JW lower central if that's where the club - I believe they will make the final decisions after all - decide to put the family area ( which I used to attend when mine were younger).

But no - even if - with refinement - we might improve OUR football club it aint gonna happen cos NO WAY are you EVER going to shift your soft ass from BBE top tier!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, we've had the discussion about the JWL and the unreserved section, now folks want to start moving others around. No doubt no-one who comes up with these suggestions actually sits in the areas they are so quick to put forward for change :angry:

Theres some wild way out suggestions roversmum, I share your bewilderment at these numpty suggestions on moving Rovers fans for away supporters.

Yeah its shocking that people are coming up with suggestions on a message board, what complete numpties they are.

I like the idea of the smaller away followings being given the upper DE, and half the lower tier depending on numbers. The family stand is in the right place but I have to disagree with anyone who says it's a better view than the JW upper.

At the end of the day, we have so many stubborn supporters set it their ways that change will always be seen as a negative thing instead of positive.

I'd have no problem sitting in the JW upper, just saying that Mr Roversmum could not, and it would be very difficult for him to sit elsewhere and for my two granddaughters who have learning difficulties that come with us. That is all I am saying. I have no problem with change if it benefits the club. I don't appreciate sarcasm etc for those who have no understanding of my situation.

But no - even if - with refinement - we might improve OUR football club it aint gonna happen cos NO WAY are you EVER going to shift your soft ass from BBE top tier!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol:

People and change - some people just dont like it. :rock:

We need to move the empty areas out of view and we also want to attract more to ewood in whatever way we can. Sunday showed that unreserved seating & cheap tickets hit the nail on the head - some of us want that replicating in future. Now for the big teams that sell out 7000-8000 tickets, that is revenue we cant afford to lose, hence why people are suggesting ways to accomodate them, whilst also maintain as good an atmosphere as possible and also to try and hide away the noise that away fans make. Top Tiers make sense, its just which ones. Top of both goals would make sense for a few reasons (they are up in the gods - hidden away, they would also add abit of spice to each end of the ground and they would also help give the home fans a kick to get them to out-sing them.

I have had a season ticket in the riverside, jack walker upper, and 2 seperate places in the blackburn end. My personal choice to sit is the Blackburn end lower as thats where all the noise comes from. If it made sense to move us, for whatever reason then fair enough. But as we have the most ST holders & the most noise, I think other areas need looking at 1st.

I'm wondering if what Ste B (?) pointed out about a great deal for Rovers fans next season has something to do with the Darwen End. I hope it does because the experience I had on Saturday was my best of the season, partly because of being sat where Rovers fans don't normally sit and the songs from the BBE and Darwen End reciprocated - made it a top atmosphere I think.

It wasn't but given John Williams' views in the LET after Sunday there may be some rethinking going on right now.

The reason i said full price was that in previous season there was no reduction for juniors and o a p's in the J W stand i have just checked the official site and now they do. One of the reasons we don't want to move is that we have a good view and seats call me selfish if you want. I am all for change if it helps the club it seems to be a case of what upsets the least number of season ticket holders.

I was among Rovers fans in the old Darwen End in the 80's for the odd game with visitors given the Darwen End Enclosure (capacity approx. 2000 standing).
We would give the BBE enclosure over to away fans sometimes as well. I remember City fans being there back in the day.

Read a few comments suggesting putting away fans in Riverside. It won't happen. It would mean away fans having to traverse either 'home' end to get in to the ground. The police would never agree due to the segregation issues.

Never say never , Leftfooter . This option has been considered at Ewood and the obstacles could be overcome .

The police are bone idle and resistant to anything that might mean they actually earn their wages but the traversing of fans is commonplace in the premiership ; there is plenty of room behind the Darwen End for the away fans to be shepherded into the Riverside . Surely that's not beyond the scope of even our police "service" .

The second problem would be to improve , or rather erect , some barriers at the front of the Riverside to prevent the walkway becoming a free for all . That's not a major hurdle to overcome I shouldn't think .

The last problem would be to make it enticing enough for the Riversiders to move somewhere else . Personally I can't see how anyone could prefer life there after sampling the facilities in the other parts of the ground .

When teams with smaller support come to town part of the Riverside could be thrown open to our own fans via the ticket schemes .

Never say never , Leftfooter . This option has been considered at Ewood and the obstacles could be overcome .

The police are bone idle and resistant to anything that might mean they actually earn their wages but the traversing of fans is commonplace in the premiership ; there is plenty of room behind the Darwen End for the away fans to be shepherded into the Riverside . Surely that's not beyond the scope of even our police "service" .

The second problem would be to improve , or rather erect , some barriers at the front of the Riverside to prevent the walkway becoming a free for all . That's not a major hurdle to overcome I shouldn't think .

The last problem would be to make it enticing enough for the Riversiders to move somewhere else . Personally I can't see how anyone could prefer life there after sampling the facilities in the other parts of the ground .

When teams with smaller support come to town part of the Riverside could be thrown open to our own fans via the ticket schemes .

Do you sit or are you a regular in the riverside Blue Phil, If not, I'd seriously suggest you retract what you say there.

Well I for one don't go to football matches for the facilities... I have a seat, there is a bar and toilet if I need it and am sat directly on the halfway line (which you can't do in the JW)... so why would I want to move anywhere else?

The main bonus for me on Sunday wasnt so much the finacial spin off but the sight of the Darwen End being a riot of blue and white and the effect this had not just on the team but on everybody else in the ground. I`ve not seen the crowd as together as we were on Sunday for a long time.

The task for JW and his think tank is to come up with a plan which can tap into the support and make sense from a business point of view.

I have thought about this today and I`m sure there are many faults with it but I have a plan which I would like to offer.

There are in my opinion 7 games a season when it makes sense to give the Darwen End to visiting fans; Man U, Liverpool,Everton,Man City, Newcastle(assuming they stay up!)Chelsea and Arsenal. That leaves 12 matches whose support could be restricted to the Upper tier of the Darwen End about 3,500 fans.That would leave the lower tier to Rovers.

This "Darwen End Dozen"could be marketed as a separate ticketing strategy for a price of say £180 @£15 per game with concessions or "a kid for a quid" or whatever it takes to make it attractive. The other 7 games would have to be at the match day price sitting in the home areas.

This would not penalise the regular season ticket holders who are the life blood of the club and have been for many years. I would price next year`s price at £285 for BBE and Riverside which works out at £15 per game more in the other areas which has always been the case at Ewood.

I`m sure there are faults with this plan but it means that regular fans wouldnt need to move; a fair amount of income is generated, the match day experience would be improved greatly from what we have been used to and crucially we could increase our fan base.

I've sat everywhere at one time or another , Jal . I'd never go back to the Riverside that's for certain .

Sometimes people just have to move on . We all had to when the stadium was built in the first place .

So what about the rest of us who enjoy sitting in there providing altrernative vocal support to the Blackburn end they have to move on because you didnt like it there -great!.

Sorry Blue phil but the riverside has always traditionally been home fans only. The only sensible place for away supporters is in the the Darwen end as it always has been you shouldnt try to break traditions at Ewood they are part of the clubs fabric, a part of the clubs life and always should be. Its on a par with suggesting that the away fans should sit in the Jack Walker stand as its a place someone didnt like sitting in.

Sorry Blue phil but the riverside has always traditionally been home fans only. The only sensible place for away supporters is in the the Darwen end as it always has been you shouldnt try to break traditions at Ewood they are part of the clubs fabric, a part of the clubs life and always should be. Its on a par with suggesting that the away fans should sit in the Jack Walker stand as its a place someone didnt like sitting in.

Wrong Jal. 'Traditionally' Before segregation of fans, away supporters used to congregate in the Blackburn End before the match with the rovers fans in the Darwen End. We moved around via the cinder track on the Riverside at half time and I can tell you there were many hairy moments on that journey.

Yeah its shocking that people are coming up with suggestions on a message board, what complete numpties they are.

I like the idea of the smaller away followings being given the upper DE, and half the lower tier depending on numbers. The family stand is in the right place but I have to disagree with anyone who says it's a better view than the JW upper.

At the end of the day, we have so many stubborn supporters set it their ways that change will always be seen as a negative thing instead of positive.

Nobody said it was a better view. I said I preferred it having tried both stands. That's what it's about isn't it? Making a choice. And i didn't say i wouldn't move either but I'd prefer not to if I don't have to. Putting away fans at both ends of the ground even if they are in the upper tier seems a bad idea to me anyway and would the police agree to the fans being split like that and come to think of it would the club, since it would require extra, expensive policing even if they did agree to it?

Ultimately, the Darwen end will continue to house the away support. The only way we can move away fans anywhere - probably reducing their allocation to the Darwen end upper tier or possibly Darwen end JW upper (out of the way) is if there is enough demand from Rovers fans to make it worthwhile. Unless we can fill the ground with home support - where we put the oppostion fans is a bit of a moot point.

EDIT: I probably should have started that with 'Stating the obvious but...'

Sunday was the best game for years at Rovers.

A fantastic idea to keep the away fans as far away from the pitch as possible; Mr Williams and Co need congratulating. Make it the norm; Munichs, Arse, Scousers and The Massive- put them all up there! I personally as a season ticket holder will pay for my 3 tickets till doomsday, if the atmosphere last sunday can be repeated on a regular basis- regardless of the slight cost.

Going to watch my team, with my kids and friends, in that atmosphere ( crap football by the way) and coming away with a win was what makes being a Rovers fan worthwhile!

Needs must when the Devil drives and we all need to play our part!

Agreed with the majority on here that the Wigan game was the best for ages in terms of atmosphere. 25,000 was a great attendance for a not exactly glamorous fixture like Wigan which was already on Sky. Rovers fans being in the Darwen End lower was definitely a success. Made it feel like we had home advantage again.

I think we should introduce a lowest price first-come first-serve scheme for every home game with the Darwen End Lower being perhaps a tenner with juniors a fiver. Unreserved seating. If that brings the 'wavering fans' back in who miss games because of the cost it's worth it.

And where is it written that when we play the so-called 'big clubs' we have to give up the entire Darwen End? Is it an obligation? Why not restrict them to the Darwen End upper? If we can find 24,000 Rovers fans (can't have been more than 1000 away fans) for a game against Wigan I'm sure that if it's cheap enough we'd have 30,000 for the games against the likes of ManU & Liverpool, in which case there's not much revenue to be lost in not allocating them more tickets than just the Darwen Upper. Charge them 40 quid a ticket for the privilege, like they do when we go there! Most of the games against the 'Big 4' end up on Sky/Setanta anyway so their fans dont exactly get starved of seeing them and without the obligatory sea of standing fans packing the Darwen End we might have a chance of reasserting home advantage & getting the odd result against them.

The main bonus for me on Sunday wasnt so much the finacial spin off but the sight of the Darwen End being a riot of blue and white and the effect this had not just on the team but on everybody else in the ground. I`ve not seen the crowd as together as we were on Sunday for a long time.

The task for JW and his think tank is to come up with a plan which can tap into the support and make sense from a business point of view.

I have thought about this today and I`m sure there are many faults with it but I have a plan which I would like to offer.

There are in my opinion 7 games a season when it makes sense to give the Darwen End to visiting fans; Man U, Liverpool,Everton,Man City, Newcastle(assuming they stay up!)Chelsea and Arsenal. That leaves 12 matches whose support could be restricted to the Upper tier of the Darwen End about 3,500 fans.That would leave the lower tier to Rovers.

This "Darwen End Dozen"could be marketed as a separate ticketing strategy for a price of say £180 @£15 per game with concessions or "a kid for a quid" or whatever it takes to make it attractive. The other 7 games would have to be at the match day price sitting in the home areas.

This would not penalise the regular season ticket holders who are the life blood of the club and have been for many years. I would price next year`s price at £285 for BBE and Riverside which works out at £15 per game more in the other areas which has always been the case at Ewood.

I`m sure there are faults with this plan but it means that regular fans wouldnt need to move; a fair amount of income is generated, the match day experience would be improved greatly from what we have been used to and crucially we could increase our fan base.

Spot on. A pragmatic solution to optimizing support and revenue. I'd give the Darwen End ticket holders priority for buying the big match walk on tickets as well.

There are only 4 matches where the visiting support has been the whole of the Darwen End this season, , they are Manure, Scousers, City and Bolton. Bolton admittiedly was a freak occassion but was a good atmosphere.

Still, it would be much more preferable to restrict all the teams to Darwen End Upper and have that Blue and White army in front of them! Any ticketing idea that can create this situation is one that I would happily support even though I am paying more for my seat!

There might only be 4 times when it has been packed, however there has been a number of other times when they have sold well over 3000, i.e. Tottenham, Everton, Arsenal.

We cant afford to lose out on their money, therefore we need to find ways to accomodate them, yet still make it 'Fortress Ewood'.

No but those of us who sit there like the view we have. I sit in the front row and have so far resisted moving even though my kids are now all grown up because I've tried the Jack walker upper and I don't like the view.

I think you'll find that you mentioned the view 2 times gumboots :rolleyes:

I agree that it wouldn't be a good idea having away fans at both sides of the ground, I would prefer to split the Darwen end lower tier for the big matches and give them the top tier also.

I also feel that making the cheaper category c tickets available as a package for the Darwen end lower is a good idea also.

Archived