BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid

Right since I can't find one I'll make one.

I cannot believe that I'm reading some of our fans saying release him and cut him loose. If my club ever did that to a player I do not know how I would react but it would not be favourable. He got injured in service to his club not with a bar of soap in the bathroom, playing for us our club. Unfortunately injuries are part of the game, its not as if Reid is not taking advice from the people we employ. To cut him loose would be a stupid idea, lets skip forward to the next transfer negotiation:

Hi Sam I hear you released Steven because he broke down again, yes thats true. So if I get injured and break down you'll do that to me sam? Yes I would. Bye Sam I can play for another club.

Its part of the game, we the club have responsibility to our player and I expect our club to handle situations like that as gentleman and with respect. Pay him off dump him in ditch, why should we show loyalty and respect.

Put yourself in his shoes, he's desperate to play, he's desperate to show us what he can do, he gives his all in training and his re-hab. And you lot want to reward him with his P45 for doing what the club asked of him?????

Some should actually think before they open their mouths. Releasing an injured player whilst still in contract, just because he's injured, your all barking!!!

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people post thinking about pound signs and not human beings, hope he gets fit and proves several people wrong, as frustrating as it is seeing an unfit player earning wages it happens at every club and the differance with reidy is he cant wait to be playing again unlike some.

Put yourself in his shoes, he's desperate to play, he's desperate to show us what he can do, he gives his all in training and his re-hab. And you lot want to reward him with his P45 for doing what the club asked of him?????

Some should actually think before they open their mouths. Releasing an injured player whilst still in contract, just because he's injured, your all barking!!!

These are probably the same people that can't seem to forgive Lucas Neill (or Shearer for that matter) for his lack of 'loyalty' to the club!!

Right since I can't find one I'll make one.

I cannot believe that I'm reading some of our fans saying release him and cut him loose. If my club ever did that to a player I do not know how I would react but it would not be favourable. He got injured in service to his club not with a bar of soap in the bathroom, playing for us our club. Unfortunately injuries are part of the game, its not as if Reid is not taking advice from the people we employ. To cut him loose would be a stupid idea, lets skip forward to the next transfer negotiation:

Hi Sam I hear you released Steven because he broke down again, yes thats true. So if I get injured and break down you'll do that to me sam? Yes I would. Bye Sam I can play for another club.

Its part of the game, we the club have responsibility to our player and I expect our club to handle situations like that as gentleman and with respect. Pay him off dump him in ditch, why should we show loyalty and respect.

I'm with you on this. His head wasn't turned by speculation (Spurs :rolleyes: ) when he was playing out of his skin and he publically committed to us. Rare indeed and earns him some extra patience in my book.

Steven Reid is a fantastic player and will be like a new signing when he comes back cause he's been out for a long time. I was at Villa Park last year when he made his short comeback. He was absolutely fantastic. He ran the whole midfield and made a big difference to our display at a whole. He's strong, quickish and can tackle (and off course score screamers). Cant wait to have Reidy back! :D

The club have treated him fantastically. He’s managed 32 games in 3 years.

If they did release him, I don’t think he could hold it against them.

As it happens, I think he should be given one more go, after all the money we have spent on him over the last few years.

When Reidy played last season (all 4 of those games) he bossed the midfield better than I've seen from any other player this year (barring maybe Warnock). He is a very good player and played well for Ireland at around the same time too. He WILL be a good player when he returns. He may prove to be the little something we've been missing. I like his attitude: even after all these freak injuries, he picks himself up and gets on with it!!

His excellent engine (the 'iron-lung' nickname anyone?) and hard-working quality isn't lacking in our team, but we must remember that this guy has talent and a good passing range as well and that IS what is lacking now that Tugay has gone. Reid and Dunn on form (it WILL happen under Sam, I believe) is our best midfield with the current squad. And it's not like either of them are 'old' really is it?

For all Reid's qualities I'd hardly say his passing would be one of them, certainly nowhere near the level required to replace Tugay. He's more of a box-to-box workhorse type to compliment a good passer.

He's barely played for the last two seasons, like LeftWinger said I don't think anyone could blame the club if we decided to let him go this summer.

Does anyone know when he's meant to be fit by? Will he be ready for the start of the season? If he can join in with pre-season and be ready for it then I'd be tempted to keep him on and give him one last chance. If it's going to take him a few months into next season to start making regular appearances I'd rather we got rid and put the wages (which will be quite a substantial amount) towards someone who will contribute on the pitch.

For all Reid's qualities I'd hardly say his passing would be one of them, certainly nowhere near the level required to replace Tugay. He's more of a box-to-box workhorse type to compliment a good passer.

He's barely played for the last two seasons, like LeftWinger said I don't think anyone could blame the club if we decided to let him go this summer.

Does anyone know when he's meant to be fit by? Will he be ready for the start of the season? If he can join in with pre-season and be ready for it then I'd be tempted to keep him on and give him one last chance. If it's going to take him a few months into next season to start making regular appearances I'd rather we got rid and put the wages (which will be quite a substantial amount) towards someone who will contribute on the pitch.

I'm not sure how close he is to making a comeback but if he's not ready for pre-season something should be done. A drop in pay has got to be the first thing to do.

Would our/his insurance policies not be covering his wages with the injuries being long term?

Guest benmaxwell

I would have Bentley and Neill back at the club, but at the same time i want Reid to leave.

If a player played badly for 2 years, everyone would want them out of the club, but because we haven't seen what Reid could 'possibly' do, we are giving him chance after chance at great expense.

The simple fact is we have paid Reid over £2 million pounds to sit on our treatment table. We are gambling millions of pounds on the chances that Reid will, recover sufficiently, rediscover his form and not have a recurrance of his knee/back problem.

The simple fact is, in the last 2 years we could have used the money we have paid Reid to sit on our bench to bring in a new younger player. Okay, fair enough, we didn't know this string of injuries would kick off when we handed him a new contract. But we do now, and we know he is going to be at risk of further injuries in the same area in the future.

It's time to cut him loose and look to the future as far as im concerned. Enough is enough!

I would have Bentley and Neill back at the club, but at the same time i want Reid to leave.

If a player played badly for 2 years, everyone would want them out of the club, but because we haven't seen what Reid could 'possibly' do, we are giving him chance after chance at great expense.

The simple fact is we have paid Reid over £2 million pounds to sit on our treatment table. We are gambling millions of pounds on the chances that Reid will, recover sufficiently, rediscover his form and not have a recurrance of his knee/back problem.

The simple fact is, in the last 2 years we could have used the money we have paid Reid to sit on our bench to bring in a new younger player. Okay, fair enough, we didn't know this string of injuries would kick off when we handed him a new contract. But we do now, and we know he is going to be at risk of further injuries in the same area in the future.

It's time to cut him loose and look to the future as far as im concerned. Enough is enough!

I'd use the very same argument to keep him. If we release him then thats a waste of the money we've spent on his recovery!!!

Guest benmaxwell
I'd use the very same argument to keep him. If we release him then thats a waste of the money we've spent on his recovery!!!

He's already had a relapse though.

Chances are it will happen again.

I'm not sure how close he is to making a comeback but if he's not ready for pre-season something should be done. A drop in pay has got to be the first thing to do.

Would our/his insurance policies not be covering his wages with the injuries being long term?

I spoke to Reid after the Portsmouth again and he said he would be back for the start of preseason (persuming he has not had any set backs)

Dunn also said he would be back for start of preseason :)

if we cut him loose we are screwed. here we have someone who wasnt to play for Blackburn. he wants to get back out there and do what he does.. look at it this way, i had a accident at work once, a ladder broke while i was hanging xmas decorations up. landed on my ass and fractured my L1 vertabre and compressed each disc either side, now because it was work related injury (like reids) i was off for 6 month with pay and they couldnt do jack shizz i was lucky my union knew what their stuff.. how would you as a person feel if you injured yourself while doing something at work and they sacked you?? (and yes pro players have the same rights as us)

also people seem to of forgotten hes had surgery for his knees to stop them playing up. i think reid said he is due due back at pre season..

with searer i myself still respect him, people dont seem to realise he left us for the club he supports.. i know if i was apro player and rovers offered me a contract id take it in a instant.. as would many people..

no he hasnt. first it was his knee then it was his back.. both are out of his control

He is under contract. Only he can "release" us from our legal obligation to continue to pay him. We may "release" him but will still have to honour his contract.

Maybe some of you want us to put a contract out on him after taking out suitable life cover <_<

Guest benmaxwell
no he hasnt. first it was his knee then it was his back.. both are out of his control

The 2007 injury was his knee and the injury from this season was his knee to.

Wiki quote:

Reid has missed the majority of the 2006–07 season through injury. A back injury limited him to three appearances before he sustained cruciate ligament injury in January from a tackle by Kevin D'Arcy, which will keep him out for the rest of the season. (1)

It appeared that Steven's injury problems were behind him after a full pre-season and solid start to Blackburn's 2008–09 season, however his injury woe's would return, with another knee injury ruling him out of the entire 2008–09 season.

(1st knee injury) http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/6263183.stm

(2nd knee injury) http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4347597,00.html

He is under contract. Only he can "release" us from our legal obligation to continue to pay him. We may "release" him but will still have to honour his contract.

Maybe some of you want us to put a contract out on him after taking out suitable life cover <_<

Good points.

The last two years have hardly been a holiday for Reid. He's probably been through more pain and discomfort than most of us will hope never to face in a lifetime.

Guest benmaxwell

I contract can be terminated by mutual consent. Johann Vogel and Rothen springs to mind...

I had 2 relapses after a dislocated knee 3 years ago, but I'm fit and fine and have been continuing my morning run for the last year. whats your point? chances are it will HEAL actually. Much more likely to fix up, because most of his injuries are unrelated. relapses are down to poor treatment and nothing else (your biology has no discretion on 'relapses' etc).

Either way, what's the harm in seeing if he can perform to a decent level up until january? If you don't like him, or he goes down again, sell him then.

Also, the knee injuries were different knees weren't they?

I do not understand any of the arguments about "cutting him loose". Do some people on here have no idea what a contract means?

We are legally obliged to pay him. The only way we could get rid of him is by paying up his contract. What would be the point of that? We would be paying money in a lump sum and losing a player rather than keeping the player and paying him bit by bit. We certainly have no hope of selling him to any club unless he regains his fitness.

Reid has had two awful unrelated injuries. It does not mean that he is injury prone in the same way as players who break down again and again a la Dunn.

If we can get Reid he may well be an asset to the side.

I really cannot see the point in suggesting we get rid of him. What would be the point?

I contract can be terminated by mutual consent. Johann Vogel and Rothen springs to mind...

Why on earth would he agree to do that?

Vogel and Rothen wanted to leave. Reid wants to get back and play for us.

Reid has had two awful unrelated injuries.

Not to nitpick but isn't it three? I thought he was out for a few months with a back injury, came back and suffered a terrible injury to his knee, came back from that and suffered another bad knee injury. Were they on the same knee? I can't remember.

Edit: Bit of a clumsy paragraph is that...sorry.

You may be right but they are all unrelated I believe. Which suggests more a huge amount of bad luck rather than one niggling injury that he suffers from again and again.

It seems a very tall order to expect to get back to the level he was at during the 2005-2006 season but just getting him back fit will at least allow us to possibly recoup some money from him in transfer fees.

Not to nitpick but isn't it three? I thought he was out for a few months with a back injury, came back and suffered a terrible injury to his knee, came back from that and suffered another bad knee injury. Were they on the same knee? I can't remember.

Edit: Bit of a clumsy paragraph is that...sorry.

Indeed it is rather clumsy, but luckily it's in type, so it's at least legible lol. Reidy's knee injuries were on either knee (one injury on each)

I find myself really annoyed at some people's views on Steven Reid. He wants to play and believes will do.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/reid-determi...comeback-249098

I agree with Majiball's post 100%.

Also he is bound to have a few niggles as he comes back, as most players coming back after long term injuries do.

I hope people understand this and don't jump on his back if he gets a strain or two.

I am not overly confident of him being fantastic for us when he does comeback as I don't think he was playing that well before the knee injury, but I feel 100% he deserves his chance.

It is almost 100% certain, given all the factors, that he will not be released/sold/mutually terminate contract or whatever, so there really is no point talking about that. It is also disloyal to a player who has never shown any disloyalty towards us, and even in these modern times that is important to me. I am a Rovers fan and I still feel loyalty to players until they give reason for me not to do so. It may, to some of you, be an antiquated way to feel in the 21st century, but without sentimentality and irrationality, being a football fan makes no sense.

Let's get behind Reidy and support him.

Archived