BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid

It says we are going to chat about it - doesnt say they are going to be offered improved terms or anything!!

Im sure we are just protecting our assets and seeing how realistic both players are in terms of wage demands after all the injuries. Maybe a 50% wage cut for both with that 50% (being paid) based on being fit & available would be fair?

My thoughts exactly

The deals will be in Rovers favour, pay as you play. Minimal (not minimum!) wage plus add on bonus for appearances etc.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunn is a local lad and has been out for long period and is no longer a spring chicken - he should take reduced wages aslong as he's protected by being fit if he wants to be loyal to his boyhood club.

Reid has been injured for the best part of 2-3 seasons, he too owes us some protection. Who else in the league could you see paying them both 30k+ a week?

Den, with Reid I just couldn't even entertain the idea of offering him an extension until he proved some match fitness or that he is, in fact, good enough for the first team anymore after such a long time out.

Maybe he'd come good and we'd lose him on a free. Then again, I reckon it's far more likely that he'll fail to make an impact or get injured again.

Den, with Reid I just couldn't even entertain the idea of offering him an extension until he proved some match fitness or that he is, in fact, good enough for the first team anymore after such a long time out.

Maybe he'd come good and we'd lose him on a free. Then again, I reckon it's far more likely that he'll fail to make an impact or get injured again.

Fair enough, but I don't think it's such a good idea to allow him leave for nothing in 12 months time. Rovers aren't stupid. They will take into account his injury situation when they negotiate with him. That might mean simply another 12 months on his contract - or a drop in wages - or a play related contract. Surley that's better than letting him leave for nothing, especially after all the investment that's been put into his recovery for the past few seasons? Wouldn't it be folly to write all that off now, just as he's in training again?

Dunn is a local lad and has been out for long period and is no longer a spring chicken - he should take reduced wages aslong as he's protected by being fit if he wants to be loyal to his boyhood club.

Reid has been injured for the best part of 2-3 seasons, he too owes us some protection. Who else in the league could you see paying them both 30k+ a week?

I don't thik its fair to pay someone less not due to ability but because they are supposed to be loyal. It would also be a very quick way to undermine that loyalty as you would be taking the mickey out of them.

He shouldhowever, as you say, take a pay cut due to his fitness, form and the current financial situation. Problem is that in his situation he will probably say "fair enough, I will sit on my hands and see what happens then".

If Steven Reid decides to cancel his own contract I will eat my own right arm.

This is the most pointless debate I have ever seen on this messageboard!

Be fair------ there was Vinjay!

just let both their contracts run out, come this time next year they'll be a year older and in a fantasy realm where they both stayed fit all next season for instance we just offer terms then on a new contract.

when sol campbell let his contract at spuds run out he was in his prime and could demand 100k per week, at the end of their contracts no one is going to offer these 2 anything more than 1 or 2 years and probably not for the wages they are on now.........unfortunately with these 2 tying them to long contracts is not protecting your assets because in the hard light of day they get paid far more than we get back from them.

Fair enough, but I don't think it's such a good idea to allow him leave for nothing in 12 months time. Rovers aren't stupid. They will take into account his injury situation when they negotiate with him. That might mean simply another 12 months on his contract - or a drop in wages - or a play related contract. Surley that's better than letting him leave for nothing, especially after all the investment that's been put into his recovery for the past few seasons? Wouldn't it be folly to write all that off now, just as he's in training again?

I see what you're saying. You can see it from two perspectives though: 1. that we've already invested so much in his recovery, knowing that he is a good player and will eventually reclaim his place in the team or 2. that we offered him a fat new contract shortly before his injury and had no choice other than to try to rehabilitate him because of the fact that he was already contracted and that no other club would want him.

I'd rather cut our losses now than risk wasting further cash on him. If he has a shred of loyalty in him (asking a lot from a footballer, I know), and if he were playing regularly by the January window, then he could repay the club's faith in him by extending his contract.

That's my view on the Reid situation anyway.

The only way we should even consider giving Reidy a new deal is on a pay as you play basis. He hasn't performed for so long that it is not really even worth an extra years deal.

Shame because he is a great guy and was a top player for us.

Be fair------ there was Vinjay!

The last time JBN was that dismissive about something was when he was telling us to 'get used' to Roque being here next season and that no-one would pay above £7 million for him.

Expect Reid to be looking for a new club within a couple of weeks...

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/8176461.stm

It says there that he's on standby for the Ireland squad for a match on 12th August, also says that Allardyce is hoping he'll be fit for the opening game.

His rehabilitation must be going well or he wouldn't be on standby for Ireland, that could be an unexpected bonus for us.

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/8176461.stm

It says there that he's on standby for the Ireland squad for a match on 12th August, also says that Allardyce is hoping he'll be fit for the opening game.

His rehabilitation must be going well or he wouldn't be on standby for Ireland, that could be an unexpected bonus for us.

I really can't believe that Reid will be fit enough to play 90 mins anywhere for quite a while yet, Le Chuck.

Not that happy about him being on standby for Ireland, i know they miss him badly but i think it would be better if he is slowly eased back into playing football again under Sam's guidance.

I really can't believe that Reid will be fit enough to play 90 mins anywhere for quite a while yet, Le Chuck.

Just having him on the bench would be a bonus though, especially as he makes a half decent right back as well.

Doran to replace Treacy as Treacy is N.Irish aint he? or is it the other way around?

I think both are Irish. Are you thinking of Tony Kane? I think he's Northern Irish.

The last time JBN was that dismissive about something was when he was telling us to 'get used' to Roque being here next season and that no-one would pay above £7 million for him.

Expect Reid to be looking for a new club within a couple of weeks...

Fair point. It's utterly unprecedented as far as I know for someone to pay 18 million quid for a player who only started around 60% of a clubs games and scored 4 goals all season. Sheer lunacy. Especially when he finished the season injured.

Still, I was wrong. It seems that money is literally no object for City.

If Reid turns out for Trappatoni I will be furious. It was playing back to back games last year for the Republic after his last enforced absence through injury that crocked him again! The only good thing is that we should have received some compensation from them towards his wages.

Absolute garbage to bring him back into the squad before he has proven himself at Ewood.

If he breaks down or gets injured again in a green shirt before turning out for us then we should let his contract terminate.

I am not impressed, Trappatoni looks like Jimmy Durante so I think he is a clown anyway.

If Reid turns out for Trappatoni I will be furious. It was playing back to back games last year for the Republic after his last enforced absence through injury that crocked him again! The only good thing is that we should have received some compensation from them towards his wages.

Absolute garbage to bring him back into the squad before he has proven himself at Ewood.

If he breaks down or gets injured again in a green shirt before turning out for us then we should let his contract terminate.

I am not impressed, Trappatoni looks like Jimmy Durante so I think he is a clown anyway.

I agree, I'd like to see Reid fully fit and playing for us until he thinks about adding extra games and training to his schedule, we certainly don't need to encourage another injury.

I may have missed it but he hasn't even featured for us in pre season yet has he?

Dunny I can understand. When fit he is a good player but Reid, apart from half a season, has never been a decent player for us. To expect him to step back into the first team in the forseable future is to don the rose coloured spectacles. He has another season on his contract. Why not wait until Chrismas and see how he does then. I am not optimistic.

Archived