BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reid's pulled out of the ROI squad for their qualifiers due to injury according to the LET.

I think any player should be required to play for their country until they have at least 180 minutes of first team football under their belts anyway. Its not fair on the club!

Doesn't sound that serious though, often players coming back from serious injuries get niggles. Stupid decision really to call him up in the first place, i know Trap rates him highly but he can't be anywhere near match fit.

Wasn't that what we said last year, when he was recovering from that back injury?

• 2 weeks later...

The Irish times article is an enormous concern but probably not the biggest surprise, sadly. I bumped into someone from Steven Reid's Millwall days about six weeks ago and he said pretty well exactly what Trap is saying here.

Of course for Trap, the World (Cup) begins and ends with the November play-off games. Having Reidy ready for those is looking a very big ask.

“The problem for Steven is that the cartilage is gone and the bone is rubbing against bone."

Sounds almost exactly like what happens with Ledley King. Feel sorry for the guy but it really doesn't look good at all. Unfortunately I think his career will end up going the way of David Thompson's - free transfer from us, more injuries at his next club followed by an early retirement.

I can't see what else is in store for him if the cartilage has gone. I'm not sure a midfielder could do what Ledley King does in terms of playing once every seven days and with no training in between.

"The problem for Steven is that the cartilage is gone and the bone is rubbing against bone."

Sounds almost exactly like what happens with Ledley King. Feel sorry for the guy but it really doesn't look good at all. Unfortunately I think his career will end up going the way of David Thompson's - free transfer from us, more injuries at his next club followed by an early retirement.

I can't see what else is in store for him if the cartilage has gone. I'm not sure a midfielder could do what Ledley King does in terms of playing once every seven days and with no training in between.

Agree with that. Big isssue is that King is an outstanding player. Reid isn't. He is a decent player. There is no value in Rovers offering him a contract unless he is fully fit.

Shame.

Agree with that. Big isssue is that King is an outstanding player. Reid isn't. He is a decent player. There is no value in Rovers offering him a contract unless he is fully fit.

Shame.

Yep, your right. get him off the wage bill and move on. He'll be on a decent screw for doing not a lot, a little like our own bob fleming.

We could sign somebody in January to replace him, someone who will actually have some input in the rest of the season.

It is exactly the same injury as I have. No cartlidge and bone on bone.

The way King gets through gamnes amazes me because there are days when I can hardly walk downstairs, let alone run around for 90 minutes.

I have explored every potential remedy but for a sportsman to have the injury is ten times as bad.

In the UK we dont have the license to regrow cartlidge in laboratories and implant them and it will be a good few years before we do, so his options are very limited.

I think we have seen the last of him in a Rovers shirt.

I thought Reidy was suffering from an Achilles problem? Not disputing the knee issue but from what i gather it isn't what is currently keeping him out.

The recent injury is reported as being an Achilles injury - yes.

It is exactly the same injury as I have. No cartlidge and bone on bone.

The way King gets through gamnes amazes me because there are days when I can hardly walk downstairs, let alone run around for 90 minutes.

I have explored every potential remedy but for a sportsman to have the injury is ten times as bad.

In the UK we dont have the license to regrow cartlidge in laboratories and implant them and it will be a good few years before we do, so his options are very limited.

I think we have seen the last of him in a Rovers shirt.

Apparently commonplace in Sweden 1864, get yourself over there lad.

If Reid has bits missing from his knee he will never get over it. It won't necessarily be his knee that flares up but more likely compensating injuries. Either way he'll never get back to what he was.

Sad, I thought his op was for a bit of restitching of ligament. Cartilage removal is bad news. Time to make an insurance claim Sam ????????

If Reid has bits missing from his knee he will never get over it. It won't necessarily be his knee that flares up but more likely compensating injuries. Either way he'll never get back to what he was.

Sad, I thought his op was for a bit of restitching of ligament. Cartilage removal is bad news. Time to make an insurance claim Sam ????????

:angry:

The cartlidge is still there and there is no problem with his knee.

• 4 weeks later...

The fact that he's being farmed out to QPR suggests that he can't cut it at this level. Whilst I would love him to get back to the form of two or three seasons ago, however brief that form was, I don't think it will happen. He seems to be studying from the Paul Gascoigne and Matt Jansen joint biography of last chances.

BBC are reporting that Steven Reid will go out on loan to QPR and will feature in their match this weekend.

Very suprised at that - although its a good move for us and him....hopefully he can have a good run of games and then come back in a couple of months fit and like a new player........

Archived