BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought you weren't allowed to play VS your parent club? :blink:

Sorry to mislead. Helguson was in a different match. Was just pointing out that QPR could have done with two goals and their on loan striker got them (elsewhere).

For the record, he's actually at Watford and scored AGAINST Scunthorpe. My bad.

Not sure Megson will still be there in January to give us 500K - which would be great business. They looked woeful today and the fans have never really got behind him. I'd be very suprised to see him still there in jan.

Incidentally before today's game it showed how much Megson & Sam spent in their comparative times at Bolton. In Sam's reign he spent around 18 m with a 1.5 m net loss, Megson had already spent over 40 million with a net loss of around £24m! Why Gartside's backed him and not Sam is beyond me, and says a lot about the quality of the two managers.

Not sure Megson will still be there in January to give us 500K - which would be great business. They looked woeful today and the fans have never really got behind him. I'd be very suprised to see him still there in jan.

Incidentally before today's game it showed how much Megson & Sam spent in their comparative times at Bolton. In Sam's reign he spent around 18 m with a 1.5 m net loss, Megson had already spent over 40 million with a net loss of around £24m! Why Gartside's backed him and not Sam is beyond me, and says a lot about the quality of the two managers.

Think it was spent £40m n brought in £24m with a net spend of £16m then they went on to discuss how he was doing a good job as £16m spend in low in the premier league...! :s

There's one other thing that has to be looked at here: Sam spent a HUGE amount on wages. It's all well and good saying "excellent free signing", but when he comes in on 40-50k a week then it's just like going out and spending 3 million in the transfer market for a less established player, you just don't get the headlines.

That isn't a criticism, it's just a different approach. Salgado is really the perfect example though: he's on 40k a week and he's now been with us for what? 14-16 weeks? It's safe to say that's already at least half a million in his pocket but he won't figure in any net transfer workings.

I have a QPR supporting friend and apparently according to him Reid was truly awful on his debut and is being slated on their messageboards. Although I am told there was a large switch in formation after Rangers had previously been doing quite well so maybe he was being scapegoated slightly.

One comment from a QPR messageboard was "Reid was so slow today, it looked like he was running in a strobe light" :lol:

Doesn't sound like they have taken to well to him though

In fairness the income from TV has more than doubled since SA left Bolton so any comparison along those lines is prob misleading.

• 2 weeks later...

There's one other thing that has to be looked at here: Sam spent a HUGE amount on wages. It's all well and good saying "excellent free signing", but when he comes in on 40-50k a week then it's just like going out and spending 3 million in the transfer market for a less established player, you just don't get the headlines.

That isn't a criticism, it's just a different approach. Salgado is really the perfect example though: he's on 40k a week and he's now been with us for what? 14-16 weeks? It's safe to say that's already at least half a million in his pocket but he won't figure in any net transfer workings.

If you're signing someone for 3 mill upwards chances are they'll be on minimum 20 probably 30 grand a week. So over 3 years a 'free' alternative would have to be on 20 grand a week extra to cost that extra 3 million. Also if your free signing turns out to be pants it's far more economical to offload for next to nothing than it is for a player you've paid a fee for.

If you're signing someone for 3 mill upwards chances are they'll be on minimum 20 probably 30 grand a week. So over 3 years a 'free' alternative would have to be on 20 grand a week extra to cost that extra 3 million. Also if your free signing turns out to be pants it's far more economical to offload for next to nothing than it is for a player you've paid a fee for.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of his free signings have been on 40-60k a week over his time. Again, it isn't a problem so long as they work, but to say that he never really spends anything is overlooking the fact that sometimes he simply chooses to spend his budget on wages rather than transfer fees.

My stepson went to QPR to take in a game whilst he is in London and Reid was nowhere to be seen yesterday.

Abel Taradt (spelling) on loan from Spuds was utterly brilliant until he tired early in the second half and got as many kickings as nutmegs he had handed out in the first half.

Archived