BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have to say I'm shocked to hear he's on stand-by, but his re-hab was well on the way tail end of last season. Has he featured at all in pre-season???

As far as I am aware he hasn't featured in any pre season match.

I'm astonished that he would play for the Republic when he hasn't even played a reserve match.

As already mentioned his last injury setback was caused by the lack of respect that the ROI management had for his first injury.

This proves that the Republic of Ireland selecting Andrews is of no consequence whatsoever!

You are of course referring to the team on the verge of world cup qualification?

1 Italy 6 4 2 0 9 3 6 14

2 Rep of Ireland 7 3 4 0 8 5 3 13

3 Bulgaria 6 1 5 0 6 4 2 8

4 Cyprus 6 1 2 3 6 9 -3 5

5 Montenegro 6 0 4 2 5 8 -3 4

6 Georgia

• 2 weeks later...

Judging from the photos from Rovers' training, this season's Steven Reid will be a strong player - looks like he's been lifting a lot of weights the last year. Let's hope his legs are as strong as his upper body, because we could use a fit Steven Reid in our midfield.

Last time he came back from injury he was a big disappointment and even before that he didn't impress me all that much. I hope we are not relying on Reid to bolster our midfield because he isn't the man. (In my opinion.)

Posting on the official site indicates that Reid and Emerton are making good progress, but won't be rushed into anything just yet. I'd give them til the end of the month maybe to be considered for first team selection. Grella is back in training, but is lacking match practice, as is our new signing Kalinic. I expect both to be ready by September as well.

I'm hopeful to see Grella, Dunn, Emerton and Reid all fit without any further issues and seeing what they can provide for the team. On past form, those 4 can make a formidable midfield.

Bringing in Salgado and not a player for the attacking role to me means Sam is planning/gambling on keeping them fit this season, thats too bigger risk for me.
#

I admit its a risk, but if you could rotate and look after the squad, we have Dunn, Grella, Nzonzi, Warnock, Emerton and I suppose we must include Andrews who can do a job there, I would have liked a top midfielder to sign, I look around and cant see one financially available to Rovers, take Lampard and Gerrard out of the England squad and there isnt much left!

Even Sunderland have gone for Cattermole who is a good strong player but a creative player we would need!

There arent many around, at the moment the best midfielders are Spanish, wonder why that is?

Could it be that the coaching techniques are better there? Maybe thats why Majiball will do his A license in Spain!!

I admit its a risk, but if you could rotate and look after the squad, we have Dunn, Grella, Nzonzi, Warnock, Emerton and I suppose we must include Andrews who can do a job there, I would have liked a top midfielder to sign, I look around and cant see one financially available to Rovers, take Lampard and Gerrard out of the England squad and there isnt much left!

Even Sunderland have gone for Cattermole who is a good strong player but a creative player we would need!

Madrid have one or two Van Der Vaart springs to mind he's not wanted and a loan could be done???? He's more what we need. He'll be a good signing and I hope we can keep them fit really because we'd be all the better for it, but we've already started to see injuries to a number of players pre-season and thats one thing we can't afford.

Last time he came back from injury he was a big disappointment and even before that he didn't impress me all that much. I hope we are not relying on Reid to bolster our midfield because he isn't the man. (In my opinion.)

To be fair, didn't he mostly play right back last time back?

Some on here have short memories, Reidy was flying at one stage, the next scholes. If he can get someway back to that we'll be laughing this year lets just hops Sam has gotten his quoted Injury prevention strategy in place.

I agree, wasn't Fergie sniffing around at one point? However when he came back last he did not look as good, but he didn't play that many games.

We wont really know what we have still got in Steve Reid until he comes back from injury and has a good run of matches. The problem has been in recent seasons that it has been stop, start, long lay off due to injury, start at a basic level again, repeat whole process and so on. He could still come good and I hope he does.

Looking at the other fastest goals on there, I reckon Reidy's pile driver beats them all except a Roberto Carlos effort or two. Wonder what Shearer's tap-in for his hattrick against QPR was rated at. Unfortunately Shearer's blast was too quick for the MoTD cameras which missed it and so it didn't win goal of the season.

At the Hibernian game, Reidy said he'd be back in contention in 3 weeks. That was 2 weeks ago on this coming Wednesday. Therefore, unless he's had a set back he shouldn't be too far away. Emerton also said he would be back around the same time.

Watching that goal reminded me just how long it's been since the days when United were supposedly in for him. He was great up until his first major injury and I have some good Rovers memories of the days when he played regularly for us. Sadly, I doubt he'll ever be the same again.

Archived