BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reid will come back. Grella will lose his place to him.

really hits home how poor our midfield is, i'd forgotten about grella now the seasons over.........we really need better quality. dunn, reid and grella we are really going to have scour the medical records of prospective signings they'll need to be like bruce willis in that crappy film whereas we've currenbtly a bunch of samuel l jackson types permenantly in the treatment room.

Yes i do. Do you?

I cite Mart Poom at Watford as a example of what i have said: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ord/8030742.stm

The first paragraph says it all...

"Watford have agreed to terminate the contract of goalkeeper Mart Poom by mutual consent."

Why would a guy like Reid, in his 20s, agree to just terminate a lucrative contract after suffering those injuries while doing his job. Is he stupid? He would have to be to agree to that. I do not see how Steven Reid has done anything wrong in his conduct or his commitment to Blackburn Rovers.

really hits home how poor our midfield is, i'd forgotten about grella now the seasons over.........we really need better quality. dunn, reid and grella

We may need better quality, but sadly we cannot afford it.

Guest benmaxwell
Why would a guy like Reid, in his 20s, agree to just terminate a lucrative contract after suffering those injuries while doing his job. Is he stupid? He would have to be to agree to that. I do not see how Steven Reid has done anything wrong in his conduct or his commitment to Blackburn Rovers.

Because we might not want him anylonger, and would prefer to push forward with an alternate players, and not pay out for 2 further years to a player who will likely either get injured again, or not come back the same as he was.

Fair enough, come back in 6 months if im proved wrong, but i find it very doubtfull that we are going to come out winners on this one.

Because we might not want him anylonger, and would prefer to push forward with an alternate players, and not pay out for 2 further years to a player who will likely either get injured again, or not come back the same as he was.

Fair enough, come back in 6 months if im proved wrong, but i find it very doubtfull that we are going to come out winners on this one.

I don't think you're getting this. Why would Steven Reid agree to give up the remaining 2 years of his contract? It might be in the best interests of Rovers to terminate his contract now but it certainly isn't in the best interests of Steven Reid to terminate his contract now. He isn't going to get a better deal anywhere else. And without agreement from both parties a termination isn't going to happen.

I do hope that he comes back and plays next season. Let's face it, he cannot make our midfield get any worse can he?

I agree though we owe it both to Reidy and our makeshift midfield to give it a damned good try.

I'd say Reid owes us for the faith we've shown him already.

No doubt if he had a stormer next season, he'd be off when another club came in and offered him better wages.

Guest benmaxwell
I'd say Reid owes us for the faith we've shown him already.

No doubt if he had a stormer next season, he'd be off when another club came in and offered him better wages.

Agreed.

If we were to release Reid. Then i don't see what the problem is.

If he can recover his fitness with another club then good for him, if he can't then we were obviously right to release him.

We have given him a footing to get a club with the use of our fitness department. It should be up to him now if we chose to negotiate a release.

In answer to CN174's post, it is in Reid's best interests to do the best thing for the club. He has 2 years remaining on his contract. If he messes us around, and forces us into being ripped off after the 2 years free wages he has already had, other clubs are going to see him as a liability, and not touch him with a bargepole when we don't offer him a contract in 2 years time.

If he departs us now, after the 2 years free wages we have given him, and the use of the department as i have already said to regain his fitness, he could probably get a place for a Championship team to rediscover his career. It would be better for all concerned.

Sing Stevie, sing.........

Please release me, let me go

For you don't love me anymore

To waste your wages would be a sin

Release me and let me play again

I have found a new club, dear

And I will always want it near

Their fans are warm while yours are cold

Release me, Rovers, let me go

AS IF FLEURKLIN' IF ........................... :o

Agreed.

If we were to release Reid. Then i don't see what the problem is.

If he can recover his fitness with another club then good for him, if he can't then we were obviously right to release him.

We have given him a footing to get a club with the use of our fitness department. It should be up to him now if we chose to negotiate a release.

In answer to CN174's post, it is in Reid's best interests to do the best thing for the club. He has 2 years remaining on his contract. If he messes us around, and forces us into being ripped off after the 2 years free wages he has already had, other clubs are going to see him as a liability, and not touch him with a bargepole when we don't offer him a contract in 2 years time.

If he departs us now, after the 2 years free wages we have given him, and the use of the department as i have already said to regain his fitness, he could probably get a place for a Championship team to rediscover his career. It would be better for all concerned.

Surely now is completely the wrong time to be thinking about 'releasing' Reid (irrespective of whether anyone thinks it is the right thing to do or not). If it was going to be done the time to get rid would either be immediately after an injury (very harsh in itself) or if he cannot prove himself to be fit enough to play any useful part in the team.

As it is we might as well see if he can get fit seeing as we will already have paid for his treatment. It seems obvious to me that it is worth gambling a couple more months wages on him getting back playing rather than get rid and risk losing a transfer fee which would surely be of greater value than his contract settlement i.e. if we paid him off and he then regained fitness we would lose out on any potential transfer fee and have also thrown away £1m or more for the sake of paying him for a couple more months to see if he is capable of playing for us again.

This really gets me, how the hell can you say it's two years 'free wages'? I'm certain that Steven Reid would much rather have been playing than trying to get fit from some serious injury problems not of his making. Your comments on Steven Reid makes it seem like he has been sat at home watching TV fully fit and pulling a fast one when that obviously is not the case. Steven Reid didn't plan on getting injured and neither did Rovers plan on that either. Somehow I get the feeling you really don't like him and want him gone when all he has done is be professional about all of this and want to play for the club. He hasn't robbed the club of two years wages, he's had two years of injury to deal with and it must genuinely have been hell. Long-term injuries are hard for the average man let alone a man who makes his living playing football and has missed out on playing for his country and may not get that chance again. How would you like to lose two years of your working life to serious injury?

Guest benmaxwell

I don't know why i have to keep explaining my opinions when it is all clear for all to see:

- Reid is injury prone, that's never going to go away

- He has had periods where entire seasons have been eaten away by injury

- He has cost us over 2 million pounds and not played a game

- Lets face it, he isn't going to go through the next 2 years clean of injury. We already have Dunn as Mr Unreliable, can we really afford (in more ways then one) another unreliable CM...

- He is going to be 'more' liable then other players to injury in the future. Back and Knee injuries don't just go away, look at Jimmy Bullard this season just gone.

- He came back previously, and he wasn't a shadow of the footballer he was before his back injury

- It is very unlikely after 2 years out of the game he will come back all guns blazing

- He costs us around or above 20k's a week. 20k's a week i feel could be put to better use

- For every year we give him another chance, we miss out on a Moussa Dembélé (now being linked with a £15 million move to Chelsea when we could have had him for £3.5 million) and Michael Bradley (nuff said!)

- If we give him another season to prove he can eat our wages whilst lying on the treatment table. Who are we going to miss next.

As i have said. We don't owe him anything. He owe's us for maintaining his fitness, and paying him a wage for the privalage. It's time he moved on and we looked at the future less we miss out on another young class player.

Um, that doesn't stack up?!? You are saying he should effectively not have a job, no medical back up, no training facilities, not have played in a year, unsure whether he can ever olay football competitively again, and he would be in a btter position than if he did have those things?

He would have to be a lunatic to go for that. An absolute lunatic.

Even if he wanted to leave, and was willing to take a pay cur (both things I doubt) by far the best option would be to hand in a transfer request, continue getting paid and see who comes in for him. Then at least the club would get a fee.

But I don't know why you are banging on about this because there is zero chance of it happening. The club has no say in it. It is entirely up to Reid.

Guest benmaxwell
Um, that doesn't stack up?!? You are saying he should effectively not have a job, no medical back up, no training facilities, not have played in a year, unsure whether he can ever olay football competitively again, and he would be in a btter position than if he did have those things?

He signed a contract to play football, he isn't doing that. The way things are going, it doesn't even look like he is going to complete 50% of his contract?!

We have done the right thing, and given him the facility to regain his fitness. Now if he can't achieve the ability of first team football by the begining of pre-season training. He should repay the club with a departure via mutual consent and we should start looking for he's and Tugay's replacement.

He signed a contract to play football, he isn't doing that. The way things are going, it doesn't even look like he is going to complete 50% of his contract?!

We have done the right thing, and given him the facility to regain his fitness. Now if he can't achieve the ability of first team football by the begining of pre-season training. He should repay the club with a departure via mutual consent and we should start looking for he's and Tugay's replacement.

You've missed the point entirely. You said 'two years free wages' as if Steven Reid had a choice in the matter. To dump a player who has had two seasons with two serious injuries (not the injury prone players Dunn or Santa Cruz are) by 'mutual consent' because he's been seriously injured would damage the clubs credibility and player relations immeasurably. There is a contract in place between the club and Steven Reid. Steven Reid has done nothing (as far as any of us know) to breach that contract therefore your suggestion will never happen and this debate is completely pointless.

If Steven Reid decides to cancel his own contract I will eat my own right arm.

This is the most pointless debate I have ever seen on this messageboard!

This really gets me, how the hell can you say it's two years 'free wages'? I'm certain that Steven Reid would much rather have been playing than trying to get fit from some serious injury problems not of his making. Your comments on Steven Reid makes it seem like he has been sat at home watching TV fully fit and pulling a fast one when that obviously is not the case. Steven Reid didn't plan on getting injured and neither did Rovers plan on that either. Somehow I get the feeling you really don't like him and want him gone when all he has done is be professional about all of this and want to play for the club. He hasn't robbed the club of two years wages, he's had two years of injury to deal with and it must genuinely have been hell. Long-term injuries are hard for the average man let alone a man who makes his living playing football and has missed out on playing for his country and may not get that chance again. How would you like to lose two years of your working life to serious injury?

here here....as a player he has shown rovers nothing but loyalty, as couple of seasons ago he was wanted by a few clubs but chose to stay here but he did not go whining to all and sundry that he wanted to play for a BIGGER team.......unlike a certain striker we could name.... <_<

• 4 weeks later...

Reid and Dunn to be offered new deals

I have to admit, I am staggered that the club are entering into contract talks with Reidy after his injury record and before he has even proved any kind of match fitness.

Dunn is a difficult one. Personally, I'd look to extend the contract by a further year and see how he gets on with injuries this season.

It says we are going to chat about it - doesnt say they are going to be offered improved terms or anything!!

Im sure we are just protecting our assets and seeing how realistic both players are in terms of wage demands after all the injuries. Maybe a 50% wage cut for both with that 50% (being paid) based on being fit & available would be fair?

I have to admit, I am staggered that the club are entering into contract talks with Reidy after his injury record and before he has proved an kind of match fitness.

Well, would you suggest we let his contract run down? He is back in training tcj and from that I take it that he has every chance of coming back into the squad. It would be a strange decision at this stage not to protect this particular asset.

Reid and Dunn to be offered new deals

I have to admit, I am staggered that the club are entering into contract talks with Reidy after his injury record and before he has even proved any kind of match fitness.

Dunn is a difficult one. Personally, I'd look to extend the contract by a further year and see how he gets on with injuries this season.

That is mental.... I can't understand it. Maybe the idea is to offer them both reduced terms but the insurance of a longer contract?

I should have read the story properly really.

OK, I'll be amazed IF Reid is offered an extension.

Neither player would accept a 50% reduction of their basic wage, especially Dunn who is one of our best players and who would most likely have a few other Premier League clubs after him, were he available.

Archived