BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid

• Backroom

We're not really in a position where we can afford to release versatile midfielders. All indications suggest Reid will be back for pre-season and ready to go when the season begins again. If that is the case, then no way should we sell him.

He's what, 28? If he was 31 - 32 then fair enough, it may be time to let him go, but I think he still has the potential to be an important player for us for at least 3 or 4 more seasons. Too early to give up on him yet.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair though, we operate to a very very tight budget, and over the last couple of years hes costing us thousands of pounds a week with no return for us. Looked like he was going to be a quality player afew years ago, seem to remember Man Utd were after him before he got injured. Remains to be seen if he will be the same from now on

He may have cost us quite a bit getting himself injured for the cause in the last couple of seasons.

One thing for sure it's a dam site less than a recent mistake cost us for a six month tenure.

Which pot do you think that money came out of.

Give him until January then judge the outcome, he deserves a chance to play for us again, as is his wish.

Does anyone know when he's meant to be fit by? Will he be ready for the start of the season? If he can join in with pre-season and be ready for it then I'd be tempted to keep him on and give him one last chance. If it's going to take him a few months into next season to start making regular appearances I'd rather we got rid and put the wages (which will be quite a substantial amount) towards someone who will contribute on the pitch.

Its all in good hands. He'll be training all summer he starts shortly (if not already). He'll be up and running for pre-season.

To be fair though, we operate to a very very tight budget, and over the last couple of years hes costing us thousands of pounds a week with no return for us.

Yes but as we offered him a long-term contract we brought that upon ourselves somewhat.

There is nothing Rovers can do but keep paying his wages and hope he gets back into the team.

Of course Reid should be given the opportunity to get fit and get back into the first team. However, his game was based on power and to a certain extent pace (or acceleration) so given the nature of the injuries I doubt he will be the same player. I really hope I'm wrong because I've always liked him. If he does get back then he will make our midfield much, much stronger. If he doesn't then I can see him sliding down the leagues or perpetually playing for just-promoted teams

I might be mistaken but i always thought we insured all players against injuries, therefore the insurance policy would have paid Reids wages for the past couple of years costing us nothing?

I'd assume all premiership clubs insure people against injury but it's probably a lot more complicated than if he gets injured they pay his wages, I'm sure it may depend upon the cirumstances and who takes the blame for it, even if we did get the insurance it might well not cover all of his wages and medical expenses, not too mention the cost or Reidy's insurance is probably higher than most players given his history.

Anyway I don't agree that he's been treated badly thus far, sure he's been unlucky with injuries and I'm sure he's had a torrid time but whether it be from us or the insurers he has still been paid a great deal of money and recieved the best treatment available.

As others have said though he deserves at least one more chance (Ten more if he's still under contract.) He was a good player who will probably come back a little below par but he deserves a full pre season (If he's fit) under his belt so BFS can then judge whether or not he's an asset to the squad. You can't ask BFS to judge him on 20 games over 3 years when he wasn't even manager, I think Kendall was in charge last time Reid played back to back games.

When he's fit and Sam has had a chance to look at him it will be time to make a decision as his contract will only have a year or so on it. To recoup any money we'd have to sell him soon, who's going to pay much for someone with such an injury history who hasn't played football for a while though?

Whether he stays or goes though he's been treated very professionally as far as I'm aware and in my opinion he will be until he leaves the club if that time in deed comes.

Best of luck for the future Reidy, hopefully the future will be with Rovers and you can come back even stronger than you were before. Grella, Dunn, Andrews are no better than him if he can get back to form, Mokoena and Tugay are gone so there is definitely a place for him if he's fit and back to form.

I've rambled enough now.

I agree though we owe it both to Reidy and our makeshift midfield to give it a damned good try.

That's the thing though, I'd consider 2 full seasons already a damned good try.

It's impossible for any of us to judge though without knowing the opinion of a medical expert. If one of his knees has weakened then his career will probably go the way of David Thompson, who is now retired aged 31.

This is a very tricky one to judge. If i'm truthful i may have taken a more brutal stance if we were blessed with a wealth of talent in the middle. But seeing as we certainly don't have that, i would opt for the 'one more chance' brigagde.

The thing is, he is a decent player when fit. Ok he wasn't playing that well before his latest injury, but to be fair he hadn't had the time to recover from the one before that! But when fit and firing on all cylinders he is not only better than we have, he is a Big Sam type player.

Whether he can regain that fitness and hit those levels remains to be seen. But as we don't have masses of funds available, we'd be as well to keep him and take the chance he will return as the Reidy of old. As someone said earlier why should we pay him off when we can pay the same bit by bit in wages and still have a player on the books. Ok a mutual termination may cost us less, but its never gonna happen. Reid has too much pride to accept that.

On the subject of insurance. Surely we receive a lump sum for costs incurred if the injury causes him to retire. I don't think it has been paying his wages thus far. If anyone is clued up on such matters i'd love know more about how this sort of thing works.

Guest benmaxwell
I agree though we owe it both to Reidy and our makeshift midfield to give it a damned good try.

We don't owe Reid anything, he owes us for 2 years of wages and nothing to show for it... I'm sorry, but in football, you have to be ruthless or you will end up struggling. For every year we give Reid to recovery from a injury, another possible player who could be class for us gets passed up...

We don't owe Reid anything, he owes us for 2 years of wages and nothing to show for it... I'm sorry, but in football, you have to be ruthless or you will end up struggling. For every year we give Reid to recovery from a injury, another possible player who could be class for us gets passed up...

That's an incredibly cynical way of looking at this. Football is Reid livelihood and he gets paid for playing for Rovers. His injuries haven't been self inflicted or caused by the actions of the player outside of football so why should we just cut him loose when he may well be a fit and effective member of the team next season.

Guest benmaxwell
That's an incredibly cynical way of looking at this. Football is Reid livelihood and he gets paid for playing for Rovers. His injuries haven't been self inflicted or caused by the actions of the player outside of football so why should we just cut him loose when he may well be a fit and effective member of the team next season.

As i said previously. Football is a dog eat dog industry. To keep your head above the surface, you have to have a reliable squad. Teams like Rovers can not afford to be sentimental about players, we have spent over £2 million pounds in 2 years for Reid to sit on the treatment table.

Yes football is Reid's livelihood at the moment, but he has not been playing football. I don't care whether Reid's injuries are self inflicted or not. You wouldn't sign a player who is injured for half of his contract at a time, so why should a team continue to pay for a player not to play...

2 years!!! He's on a contract relative to about a third of Roque's... Imagine what we could do with that in the form of a player who isn't injury plagued?!

For someone who claims to be "in the know" in "your line of work" ... you appear to understand the square root of **** all.

Guest benmaxwell
For someone who claims to be "in the know" in "your line of work" ... you appear to understand the square root of **** all.

No... I know the square route of business, and in business, their is no room for sentimentality...

Well they will probably trade places in the treatment room all season long. As long as ones fit it would be a great rotation policy.

Reidys game is more driving forward than Grella,two differing styles of play and Reidy will need 6 months to get up to pace!!

Guest benmaxwell
Thanks for the opportunity Sir Alan.

Your welcome. Don't forget to drop me your CV if your looking for work. I visit the pizza hut most weekdays. :lol:

As i said previously. Football is a dog eat dog industry. To keep your head above the surface, you have to have a reliable squad. Teams like Rovers can not afford to be sentimental about players, we have spent over £2 million pounds in 2 years for Reid to sit on the treatment table.

Yes football is Reid's livelihood at the moment, but he has not been playing football. I don't care whether Reid's injuries are self inflicted or not. You wouldn't sign a player who is injured for half of his contract at a time, so why should a team continue to pay for a player not to play...

2 years!!! He's on a contract relative to about a third of Roque's... Imagine what we could do with that in the form of a player who isn't injury plagued?!

Do you know how a contract works?

Archived