BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] N'zonzi Deal Agreed

Gotta agree here - for a player like Bentley maybe - but playing in the French lower leagues it seems a little daft - especially as his fee wasn't exactly huge. We can only hope this is only a rumour.

Isn't that usually the exact reason why clubs insert a sell on fee, because they are a risk? The sell on fee is

for if the risk pays off...

I would expect us to be inserting similair fees for any players we sell of his age...

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Dont know what it is but I can see N'zonzi becoming the next Berbatov-esque sulker who looks for a big money move else where. He seems a liitle bit arrogant as it is (might be a French thing).

I think giving him the player of the year award will go to his head and by this time next year his toys will be out of the pram and the bottom lip will be well and truely out; Benni McCarthy style.

Hope I'm wrong tho.

Gotta agree here - for a player like Bentley maybe - but playing in the French lower leagues it seems a little daft - especially as his fee wasn't exactly huge. We can only hope this is only a rumour.

Including a sell-on clause means a smaller initial fee. Which means less risk, at the cost of somewhat less of a reward if the player is a success. In the case of Bentley for example, giving Arsenal millions felt so, so wrong. But considering that the alternative would've been either not getting him at all (If they insisted on the clause) or getting him for a bigger initial outlay, we still did the right thing. Now if we had paid a million or two more intially for Bentley, sans clause, and had gone on to sell him for £17m, we'd have been better off. But had he been a failure for us, we'd have lost a lot more. You need a certain amount of resources and leverage to maximize profits, as that also includes risks, but we don't have much of either.

The 30% part may or may not be accurate, but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a clause. Fairly standard these days. In addition to that, I'm pretty sure that when the player is under a certain age, there's always a certain % of any transfer fee that goes to the clubs that fostered the player, regardless of whatever else the transfer agreement says.

I Dont know what it is but I can see N'zonzi becoming the next Berbatov-esque sulker who looks for a big money move else where. He seems a liitle bit arrogant as it is (might be a French thing).

I think giving him the player of the year award will go to his head and by this time next year his toys will be out of the pram and the bottom lip will be well and truely out; Benni McCarthy style.

Hope I'm wrong tho.

He seems to be fairly level headed - at least we haven't heard him making remarks in the French press about Rovers being a stepping stone to bigger things......yet.

To be honest - I was surprised he got the player of the year - at best he has been consistent. The fact he has played so much showed as much about the quality and injury free nature of our midfield as anything else.

I must admit I did struggle to think of anyone else - most players have had good spells this year - but also poor spells or time out injured. Without his injuries - I am sure Dunn would have won it.

Having said all that - I do think Nzonzi could go on to bigger things - just think all this talk about him at the moment is a little premature. One swallow doesn't make a summer - or one stunning goal doesn't make up for numerous bad shots :rover:

Over the past few weeks people have started to seriously overrate N'Zonzi's performances. Don't get me wrong, for someone so young he has been playing well and could go on to have a great career, but so far all he has done is protect the back four and mostly play simple passes. It's great to see him establish himself in the side so quickly and at such a young age, but it's not as if we clearly have a world class player on our hands.

Over the past few weeks people have started to seriously overrate N'Zonzi's performances. Don't get me wrong, for someone so young he has been playing well and could go on to have a great career, but so far all he has done is protect the back four and mostly play simple passes. It's great to see him establish himself in the side so quickly and at such a young age, but it's not as if we clearly have a world class player on our hands.

I've wondered about the ramping up of the hype. I've only had a brief glimpse of N'Zonzi at the start of the season and I wasn't overly impressed but was, of course, aware that he was a young lad trying to make his way his way in The Premier League. Having seen a bit more of him on TV he's looked ok but I'm a bit puzzled about rumours of a high profile move.

Surely not a case of folk getting carried away with screamer against Everton?

Nobby Stiles, David Batty and god knows how many others made good careers out of simply doing that, besides IMO you master the basics first then move onto the more entertaining but riskier passes, he has already shown he has the vision to make the cross field passes when available on occasions, perhaps when we get a bit more movement in front of him we may see the more clinical /quality side to his game.

Imagine what he could have learnt if Tugs had still been around. ;)

Hope I'm wrong tho.

I think this is very unfair to Nzonzi. He said at the time he scored at Everton that winning was more important than scoring that great goal. He's never been critical as far as I've heard and there are a group of our young players who seem to be mates off the field so he's got a group around him who won't let him get too big for his boots. in addition he seems a very family orientated lad and that should keep his feet on the ground, at least for the moment. Not saying he won't go, but that i don't see his agitiating for a move in the immediate future.

I think this is very unfair to Nzonzi. He said at the time he scored at Everton that winning was more important than scoring that great goal. He's never been critical as far as I've heard and there are a group of our young players who seem to be mates off the field so he's got a group around him who won't let him get too big for his boots. in addition he seems a very family orientated lad and that should keep his feet on the ground, at least for the moment. Not saying he won't go, but that i don't see his agitiating for a move in the immediate future.

I agree with you! Where on earth is that poster getting this from? As far as I can see N'Zonzi has behaved impeccably so its a bit far-fetched to be talking of him doing a Berbatov! God, we love setting em up to knock em down at Ewood don't we?

I agree with you! Where on earth is that poster getting this from? As far as I can see N'Zonzi has behaved impeccably so its a bit far-fetched to be talking of him doing a Berbatov! God, we love setting em up to knock em down at Ewood don't we?

It's just the impression I get, I'm not claiming it as fact.

I'm not setting him up to knock him down at all; which is why I said I hope I'm wrong.

Can't believe we gave his previous club a 30% sell on fee for any profit we make. That's ridiculous!

No it's not. If it's true then it suited the deal at the start. We made good money out of Bentley even though we did have to give Arsenal half of it. Would you say a 30% sell on fee was ridiculous if we were to sell Jones or Hoillett?

Anyway it's only speculation cos no one outside of Ewood will know for sure.

If 30% is a valid number then have you considered that the 30% might simply be extra to the fee we paid for him?

Hope I'm wrong tho.

A whiff of speculation based on nothing but fresh air and you are starting a character assassination. Twas ever thus at the one horse town that is Blackburn. Next off he'll be greedier than Lucas and Gamst rolled together and will have been seen barbequeing babies.

Behave.

He

To be honest - I was surprised he got the player of the year - at best he has been consistent.

Oh I don't know I'd be suprised if any votes for player of the season are even counted before they are binned. What it might do is either put another couple of million on his valuation to the big 6 clubs and ward off potential unwanted suitors from the next level.

A whiff of speculation based on nothing but fresh air and you are starting a character assassination. Twas ever thus at the one horse town that is Blackburn. Next off he'll be greedier than Lucas and Gamst rolled together and will have been seen barbequeing babies.

Behave.

You've got a bit of a "Holier than thou" complex don't you.

I forgot that this wasn't an opinion based messageboard.

PM me what I should write and I'll put that instead :tu:

Bloody hell eddie thats a massive contribution! And a very very necessary one. Cos no one did that is why we were so shaky and brittle earlier in the season. How about the likes of Makelele? Batty? Campo? Vierra? Other's might even suggest thats all Tugay did.

Those "others" would in that case be wrong. :)

The most impressive thing is his consistency considering he was playing football in French Division 2 only a year ago. He hasn't been a brilliant Premier League midfielder this season - I think his goal v Everton did him a lot of good reputation-wise. He's been good for us, and at his age with his experience, it's a very, very good sign. I think he can become a very good Premier League midfielder by continuing to improve his range of passing and his tactical awareness- and in my opinion he could toughen up a bit too. He's big, but he's not imposing himself as much as he could physically in the midfield battles.

Most of all though - he would improve his game massively by having a top partner in midfield. Grella is ok when fit, Keith is simply not. Put N'Zonzi alongside a player like Modric, or even Fletcher at Manure... he would look so much more comfortable.

A couple seem to have think that I was making out he was a bad player, which I certainly wasn't, it's just that whenever a player has a run of five good games many on here seem to think that he is the second-coming. He's done well, but he's got a long way to go still, as do all of our young players. He isn't Viera yet.

It's just the impression I get, I'm not claiming it as fact.

I'm not setting him up to knock him down at all; which is why I said I hope I'm wrong.

The point is a lot of people are asking where you're getting this impression from since none of us are getting it. If it's just what you see on the pitch, how on earth can you make that judgement...

A couple seem to have think that I was making out he was a bad player, which I certainly wasn't, it's just that whenever a player has a run of five good games many on here seem to think that he is the second-coming. He's done well, but he's got a long way to go still, as do all of our young players. He isn't Viera yet.

No, but what did you, me, other fans, the club and the player himself expect of him at the start of the season? I think it's the fact that he has exceeded everyone's expectations, his own included, that has earned him the Player of the Season award. Most expected the odd appearance, building gradually through the season possibly, some cup games etc. However, injuries meant that he started playing sooner than we might have thought and then he just became one of the earlier names on the team sheet if fit. It's not that he's there yet; he's still a long way to go, but that he's come a lot further than even he himself expected in a very short spell that deserved recognition. and I'd voted before the Everton game.

Nzonzi has made massive strides after being catapulted from the French lower leagues to a Premiership starter. He was a fantastic coup by the manager and has all the makings to be a world class player. All I'm hoping is that he keeps his feet on the ground and continues to develop, because many stars have left Ewood Park for new horizons and found their bubble burst.

The point is a lot of people are asking where you're getting this impression from since none of us are getting it. If it's just what you see on the pitch, how on earth can you make that judgement...

It's just the impression I get from his interviews and him swanning about outside Ewood on Monday.

I'm not asking people to agree with me or anything. It's just my thoughts on the lad.

I honestly do hope I'm wrong tho, time will tell I guess.

Add me in the Eddie camp here. I have said all along that he's been vastly overrated. I think he could evolve into something down the line. But people seem to conveniently forget that, when complaining about our central midfield as the weakest link, he's been the mainstay there the whole season. If he's our best player and that's our weakest spot then how does that work exactly? And don't say Keith, because it's a collective thing.

I think he's been very consistent, and he has good aerial ability, but his passing is generally one-dimensional, he is a solid tackler, decent pace and apart from the one screamer not a goal threat. All in all I think he's a decent Premier League defensive midfielder, and hopefully a full pre-season will help him develop into a good one next season. That being said, his transition from tier 2 French football to the PL has been incredible and I think that the POY award is recognition of his consistency.

In my best 11, fully fit however he would be a bench player as it stands, and I honestly don't see where some of the rave reviews come from during the game.

yadda, yadda, yadda

sod the goals vs Arsenal & Everton

or the no. of games he has played in his debut season

or his consistency of performance

- surely he was man of the season for his slam dunk of Lucas

What is he 20/21?

Well done fella and long may he continue, one of the major positives of the season for me

Archived