BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] N'zonzi Deal Agreed

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news.

I really, really hate this line from JW though, in relation to players signing new deals:

"this represents further good progress for the club this summer."

It doesn't represent progress at all. It helps prevent regress. Totally different thing.

Great news and yes it is progress.

How?

If all of our players signed new deals in the summer and we brought in no-one, we wouldn't have progressed at all. We would have stood still. It would have reduced the likelihood of going backwards, but that's it.

Progress is improving the squad.

"Progress" is a bit of a stretch, in reality it's merely another increase in the wage bill.

Unfortunately we've not much choice, the refusal of the owners to commit to transfer fees means we are stuck with a constant and ever escalating series of wage increases for those players we do want to keep.

With 3 years left on his contract...im left thinking 'WHY now?!' :blink:

It does sound like a strange decision, especially with the prospect of 'second season syndrome'. I only hope he isn't on an insane payrise when he still has a lot to prove.

When Zurabs on £30k a week and other fringe players will be on much higher wages than Nzonzi, he can rightly say he deserves a pay rise after a successful first season leading to him being the player of the season. Its not players like this that i have the problem with being on such high wages, its fringe players that we dont really need sucking up our wages budget. Anyway its well deserved, hes now tied down for 5 years and it would take a large fee to get him away. It also shows his commitment, especially after being linked away(although not much, he is young and could have got carried away). So lets hope for another excellent season from him.

When Zurabs on £30k a week and other fringe players will be on much higher wages than Nzonzi, he can rightly say he deserves a pay rise after a successful first season leading to him being the player of the season. Its not players like this that i have the problem with being on such high wages, its fringe players that we dont really need sucking up our wages budget. Anyway its well deserved, hes now tied down for 5 years and it would take a large fee to get him away. It also shows his commitment, especially after being linked away(although not much, he is young and could have got carried away). So lets hope for another excellent season from him.

He had 3 years left - we could demand what we want for him anyway!

I dont mind rewarding players, but 12 months on? Unless it was agreed when he came in & he maybe came in really low, then I think its 6 months at least too early - especially if we have increased his wages by alot. Dont forget Gresko was awesome in his 1st season with us! Then what happened?!

I was under the impression that players could buy their way out of contracts approximately half way through.

So if you signed a five year deal, after two years you can buy your way out and leave on a free. (I know that's not half way exactly, but you'd be entering you 'middle season' and I think that's the rule)

Generally I'd agree with you Hughesy. I think contracts should be shorter not longer but with N'Zonzi maybe it's cos there's a decent chance of him getting into the full French squad quite soon? :huh: If he manages that his value will soar.

Generally I'd agree with you Hughesy. I think contracts should be shorter not longer but with N'Zonzi maybe it's cos there's a decent chance of him getting into the full French squad quite soon? :huh: If he manages that his value will soar.

But with 3 years left on the old one we could still get a very good fee. Just seems strange as he has only had obne good season, its this next season that will make or break him.

Not sure if this has been posted on another thread, but aren't the French world cup squad dropped from the next International? It will only be a friendly, but perhaps N'Zonzi might get a chance to at least be in the squad? Depends if they use it as a trial of youth players or whether they just bring in some experienced players who were not involved in the WC.

Not sure if this has been posted on another thread, but aren't the French world cup squad dropped from the next International? It will only be a friendly, but perhaps N'Zonzi might get a chance to at least be in the squad? Depends if they use it as a trial of youth players or whether they just bring in some experienced players who were not involved in the WC.

Yeah its been mentioned.

Perhaps a mix of fringe players and young talent - hopefully he gets a chance, and perhaps Givet too??

I doubt it, i think Lassana Diarra, Flamini and Vieira will definitely get in the squad ahead of him

Depends though if they use it to give some of the U21s a chance. Vieira is not going to play in another major tournament, doesn't seen much point in just picking him so they can win a friendly....although it is the French so you never know!

Archived