BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Losing Belly Fat

OK I am early 50s but through a combination of medication for other things and coming back to England and being in a far more sedentary situation than is normal for me, I piled 10kgs and a really significant spare tire on this spring.

I am back to being my more physically active self and eating/drinking far more carefully but the belly fat is just not shifting.

Ideas? Suggestions?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cut out the sugar, and don't eat dry carbs (pasta, bread, potatoes, rice) after 4pm. Cut out refined carbs completely (white bread, white pasta etc), and don't eat processed foods at all (ie ready meals). Ditch teh alcohol (calorie dense).

If you can't grow it, can't pick it off the tree or can't kill it then don't eat it.

Pilates has to be the single best thing you could ever do to tone your stomach and lose weight in that particular spot. If you're not familiar with Pilates, give it a quick google. Most gyms will hold classes. It's great fun and you'll get to meet some new people as well. If you don't have an awful lot of spare time, then go for the first few sessions, learn how to do the exercises and then just do it at home from then on.

Sit ups are always easy - start with just five a day if you're struggling and build upwards by one a day. It'll take a matter of seconds, so no excuses!

If you want a few simple abdominal exercises that you can do in the morning and evening, then just give me a quick PM.

Cut out the sugar, and don't eat dry carbs (pasta, bread, potatoes, rice) after 4pm.

What would you suggest instead Bryan? I really want to start eating healthily to loose my a bit of weight but I struggle to think of things I could eat to replace those except mounds of steamed vegetables.

Salads and soup are a a couple of alternatives. You could always get some nice cherry tomatoes, chop up some onion, courgettes and red and yellow peppers, add a bit of garlic and pepper and roast them in a bit of vegetable oil. You can get pre-packaged roasting trays, which are great.

OK I am early 50s but through a combination of medication for other things and coming back to England and being in a far more sedentary situation than is normal for me, I piled 10kgs and a really significant spare tire on this spring.

I am back to being my more physically active self and eating/drinking far more carefully but the belly fat is just not shifting.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Unless you are wanting to compete on some Maltese beach in your speedo's with all the Russians Gunner don't bother with all that apart from maybe Brians advice. It's just middle aged spread. Perfectly normal. Never mind all that other stuff, you won't live any longer it will just seem like it. Most aspects of longevity are stored in the genes.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Pair of trainers.........Potters Gate - Duck Pond - Dean Lodge - Stepback - Darwen Tower - Return :lol:

You could join us in the Sunnyhurst, Phil, but that wouldn't help your tyre!

If you're back here permanently, get a membership up at DW/JJB at Guide, where they'll be happy to work out a fitness programme for you.

Swimming regularly, building up distance gradually, is by far the best weight loss exercise you can do

I ve been exercising regularly for 30 years, was quite chubby at 13 yrs and swimming did the trick

Go every morning and make it your routine

Like everything though it needs moderation of everything else ie foods you eat, drink lots of water and eat 5 veg or fruit per day

Also combine with walking, it worked for Stephen Fry

Cut out the sugar, and don't eat dry carbs (pasta, bread, potatoes, rice) after 4pm. Cut out refined carbs completely (white bread, white pasta etc), and don't eat processed foods at all (ie ready meals). Ditch teh alcohol (calorie dense).

If you can't grow it, can't pick it off the tree or can't kill it then don't eat it.

Good advice but the 4pm stuff is tosh, just dont eat a good few hours before you go to bed.

Lots of running is also very good for you.

Also it depends on what people want to do, Carbs isnt bad for every routine, just depends what it is you want to do (weight loss, bulk up etc...)

You can still weight loss by having carbs, you just need to get yourself doing enough fitness to combat them. High intensity training at the gym should solve most problems for most cases.

If your going to exercise:

50 weights in a morning then on a 3km run - should burn off whats in your system.

Eat healthy - eggs for breakfast on wholemeal bread, or a banana which is full of potassium.

Dinner - a sandwhich with no cheese or mayo, but something light.

evening meal - should perhaps be something like a rocket salad and jacket potato.

Never eat after 8 pm as it lies heavy on your stomach and you'll feel bloated and more hungry the next day.

Join Weight Watchers. The discipline of recording what you eat each day on a points system and keeping under your points target really works.

I'd back that up. Lost a stone easily in under 3 months and feel loads better. It's making make sensible choices and cook better, healthier and tastier food, plus I save enough points to get shedded on a regular basis.

Good advice but the 4pm stuff is tosh, just dont eat a good few hours before you go to bed.

Also it depends on what people want to do, Carbs isnt bad for every routine, just depends what it is you want to do (weight loss, bulk up etc...)

You can still weight loss by having carbs, you just need to get yourself doing enough fitness to combat them. High intensity training at the gym should solve most problems for most cases.

If you want to lose weight and gain muscle, then Bryan is absolutely right. However, I cannot live by such stringent rules. By and large, I lead a very healthy life. However, if I want to go out on the razz on a Friday night, or if I fancy a Kit Kat Chunky after dinner, I'm gonna have it. It all comes down to moderation.

I know weight loss isn't always easy, especially when you're not in your early twenties - like I am - but it really is as simple as getting as much exercise as possible in ways that you find enjoyable, walking as opposed to driving, and eating a sensible diet, one that includes acohol and chocolate, but one constituted predominantly by fresh produce and at least five portions of fruit and veg a day.

One thing I would say is, try and stay clear of empty carbs found in things like white bread and white pasta. Most of the time, wholemeal tastes better anyway!

For what it's worth - my father, who I'm very similar to in build, baldness, hearing loss etc was grossly overweight and died younger than I am now - this works well for me:

Eat breakfast - weetabix and banana is my favourite for filling up

Have a proper lunch - I go for a whole variety of salads - rice, pasta, potato, cous cous, green. Make them yourself and include stuff you like and to make it interesting - I use Feta, tuna, chorizo, different cheeses. Use oil and vinegar.

Have a decent evening meal

Cut out excess alcohol, so half a glass is fine, half a bottle isn't

Avoid all processed foods, snacks, chocolate, biscuits etc.

Have plenty of fresh fruit around so when you want to nibble you can. If you get sugar cravings, as I do, instead of chocolate have a hadful of sultanas.

For me the secret is to avoid the temptation. So three proper meals a day should keep the hunger pangs at bay thus decreasing the temptation to snack.

Now I would say this but ride a bike! At our age the weight doesn't fall off but it will go and can be kept under control. Despite what thenodrog says it is important because it is all part of self-image. If one feels over-weight and unhappy about it this has an impact on one's general well-being. If you feel happy with your weight and therefore self-image it will make you feel generally better. if you get my drift. I rarely weigh myself but I know if I start to feel uncomfortable in my clothes or with the car seat belt it's time to cut back a little.

Very good advice Paul............I'm starting tomorrow!!

Joking aside, I have started a routine similar to Pauls (including the cycling, I try & do 50 miles a week....at the moment, will increase that gradually) & I am starting to lose weight, my big big problem is weekends, I enjoy winding down with alcohol. I have started to eat better now, used to eat so much rubbish food. Be creative, like Paul say's, make salads with foods you enjoy. Trouble is, most people just think of lettuce & cucumber when the word salad is mentioned, use beans, spring onions etc. Experiment with your own dressings, balsamic vinegar + olive oil + a little fresh basil is nice.

Anyway gotta go, my pizza is done!!!!!!! :D

just dont eat a good few hours before you go to bed.

That's been recently debunked.

What has been starting to work for me is live over a mile from mass transport and get rid of your car. Am walking about an hour a day now, between going to and from the tube and walking the dog in the evening.

Oh very helpful. Old Gunner Graham is over fifty, well over weight and you are advising him to jog around Malta in high summer with temperatures in the 30 - 40 celcius range. :rolleyes:

Have a proper lunch - I go for a whole variety of salads - rice, pasta, potato, cous cous, green. Make them yourself and include stuff you like and to make it interesting - I use Feta, tuna, chorizo, different cheeses. Use oil and vinegar.

Sounds like bloody good salads to me Paul BUT rather pointless to insist on oil and vinegar when they are crammed full of chorizo and feta cheese.

btw I'd include some red onion, beef tomato and capsicum.;)

Haha blooody hell, think that covers everything I eat. Good old fashioned excersize for me, try and play as much football, tennis, cycling swimming as I can possibly fit in the week. I am only 23 though, so might be more difficult at 50

Id reccomend you take up swimming regularly. Its a good workout fitness wise, works allsorts of muscles and is none impact, so damage to joints and bones wont be much of an issue for the older persons.

Oh very helpful. Old Gunner Graham is over fifty, well over weight and you are advising him to jog around Malta in high summer with temperatures in the 30 - 40 celcius range. :rolleyes:

Indeed.

Sedentary lifestyle, overweight, ageing joints ... not a good mix to then go out and do shedloads of jogging.

Swimming is a good choice as it won't put any stress on the joints, good cardio workout plus it will help you maintain muscle mass. Cycling is another.

Incidentally Phil if your joints are a bit achey post-exercise then some glucosamine sulphate is might to do wonders.

I think after being inactive for so long, you need to build up gradually. A little bit of (consistent) effort goes a long way.

Swimming is a good choice as it won't put any stress on the joints,Cycling is another.

Breaststroke is very bad for knee joints.

Cycling is the best exercise of all but in the long term you risk ending up with short hamstrings and walking like Charlie Chaplin !

Archived