BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nikola Kalinic

he just wasn't good enough to make it with us.

think that may be a little harsh on carlos, i think he was good enough, even allardyce said his problem was adjusting to the physical aspects of the game. kalinic shouldn't have that problem, big strong lad, brought in specifically to play as a target man. and eastern europeans aren't generally soft are they...

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m looking forward to seeing him play. I always think it’s exciting when we sign an unproven player – particularly one at the start of his career. I’d much rather have someone like Kalinic over someone like Crouch or Jones personally. With Crouch or Jones you’re probably going to get 8-10 league goals guaranteed – but nothing more. Kalinic could be rubbish and be another Grabbi, but there is always that chance he’ll be sensational and score 20 league goals.

Amazed by the lack of activity on this thread. This is a marque signing of the top order and may shape our next 5 seasons. Even if he only scores 15 per season this is a sign of the new sharper, stronger,athletic Rovers able to play against the Top 6 with hope and aspiration.

And all we get is a combination of silence or gloom about central midfield. The glass is more than half-full "Summer surfers".

Even if he only scores 15 goals a season for the next five years? Jeez, no pressure then. He'd be worth £20m if he was that productive.

think that may be a little harsh on carlos, i think he was good enough, even allardyce said his problem was adjusting to the physical aspects of the game. kalinic shouldn't have that problem, big strong lad, brought in specifically to play as a target man. and eastern europeans aren't generally soft are they...

That's why I said 'with us' rather than not good enough at all. He is still an amazing talent but not in the Premier League at least right now anyway.

That's why I said 'with us' rather than not good enough at all. He is still an amazing talent but not in the Premier League at least right now anyway.

i was concerned more with the phrase "good enough" - i think carlos IS good enough, just not strong enough. but i'm being picky...

i was concerned more with the phrase "good enough" - i think carlos IS good enough, just not strong enough. but i'm being picky...

'Good' is a rather encompassing word in this context. You should have just said 'skilled.' :D

The main reason that I am slightly disappointed in this signing is that I was hoping we would go for someone with creativity AND goals. Someone like LuaLua in his prime - someone to inject our side with some much needed skill and speed.

creativity and goals....

lualua in his prime ? when was that ? :lol:

im excited by kalinic's signing. im delighted we've signed someone with potential. rather than the over hyped and overpaid crouch, jones, bent and davies (they have glittering reputations and deliver very little)

some might see the signing as a risk... but the gamble is worth taking and shows rovers have ambition.

The main reason that I am slightly disappointed in this signing is that I was hoping we would go for someone with creativity AND goals.

Barcelona wanted to get a striker with creativity and goals, rather than one with just goals. Cost them £40m + Samuel Eto'o + Alexander Hleb on loan. Berbatov is another one of those, he was also very expensive. There's simply not a lot of them out there.

Barcelona wanted to get a striker with creativity and goals, rather than one with just goals. Cost them £40m + Samuel Eto'o + Alexander Hleb on loan. Berbatov is another one of those, he was also very expensive. There's simply not a lot of them out there.

we're dealing in extremes here again, nobody expects us to sign a player with the quality of ibrahimovic, but robbie keane for example has both to a certain extent - that extent being good enough to play for spurs but not barcelona. there will be players in league two who have both to the extent that allows them to play at their level, and there will be players out there who are creative goalscorers who are at the right level to play for us.

We HAVE one of those. He's called Benni McDonalds. All we need is for him to move a bit more.

The deal hasn't even been concluded yet, - let's hope there are no nasty surprises at the appeal hearing.

If it does go through it is potentially our most exciting signing for some time - since Bellamy probably and before that since Cole/Sutton arguably given his potential scope for improvement.

Of course he may not make it in the Prem but far better to take a punt on someone with potential than throw money down the drain on a one last pay day not so golden oldie.

If he does turn out to be good, it will be an outrageous piece of good fortune on our part that he only ended up here because Pompey couldn't afford him after finding him and bringing him over etc.

Tough titty on them but who cares a jot about that - life 's a bitch sometimes.

Yeah, the Croat fans think that he is special, which is heartening.

Seems like Sam has bought a good 'un on the cheap. Makes you wonder what he could do if the trustees cared what happened to the club and backed him properly instead of trousering three quarters of any money we get from selling players.

The deal hasn't even been concluded yet, - let's hope there are no nasty surprises at the appeal hearing.

If it does go through it is potentially our most exciting signing for some time - since Bellamy probably and before that since Cole/Sutton arguably given his potential scope for improvement.

Of course he may not make it in the Prem but far better to take a punt on someone with potential than throw money down the drain on a one last pay day not so golden oldie.

If he does turn out to be good, it will be an outrageous piece of good fortune on our part that he only ended up here because Pompey couldn't afford him after finding him and bringing him over etc.

Tough titty on them but who cares a jot about that - life 's a bitch sometimes.

Watch out Rev, you're showing very dangerous signs of optimism ;) . Time to have a stern word or two with yourself.

Does anyone have any idea how long the appeal process takes, if he can't train with the team till next week he must be a doubt to make the city game?

Nicko said the process has changed and the appeal hearing is held on the same day.

I would assume he is able to train, with consent from his club, just not play.

Archived