BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nikola Kalinic

Not sure of your logic there. How can the club be self sufficient if a soon as there is any money it is taken away. The only way the club can go is downhill.

In my opinion the trustees just consider Rovers to be a weight around their necks and have no interest in it, yet they want big money to sell it.

I'm certain this was not the way Jack Walker wanted it to be. The great man must be turning in his grave.

Sorry Al, but I can say categorically this is not the case.

1) The wages went bersek last season and had to be pulled back - the club probably lost £8m or thereabouts as a result of loss of prize money of £7m and wages increasing by £6m.

2) The Trustees will only sell to somebody who will honour the spirit of Jack's intentions for the club. Nobody has got to base one on that point so this business about selling price is a fantasy item.

Anyway, great to have Kalinic on board!

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure of your logic there. How can the club be self sufficient if a soon as there is any money it is taken away. The only way the club can go is downhill.

In my opinion the trustees just consider Rovers to be a weight around their necks and have no interest in it, yet they want big money to sell it.

I'm certain this was not the way Jack Walker wanted it to be. The great man must be turning in his grave.

Rovers scout who lives down the lane from me tells me that Rovers are having to cut £5M of the wage bill this season. I expect that we are well on the way to this already.

We could save a fortune on the food bill at Brockhall by wiring up Benni's mouth and feeding him energy drinks thru a straw instead.

Rovers scout who lives down the lane from me tells me that Rovers are having to cut £5M of the wage bill this season. I expect that we are well on the way to this already.

I'd be amazed to know how we're doing that with the size of the squad, especially if we sign Salgado, Rothen and the guy from Nantes!

I'd be amazed to know how we're doing that with the size of the squad, especially if we sign Salgado, Rothen and the guy from Nantes!

£5m per annum equates to a saving of just under £100k per week.

This has been done before by others more in the know, but try this:

Outs

Oijer (40k???)

Santa Cruz (60k???)

Mokeana (25k???)

Derbyshire (25k???)

Tugay (25k???)

Others (25k???)

I am estimating approx £200k saved on the outs.

Ins

Kalinic (30k???)

Jacobsen (20k???)

Andrews wage rise (+10k???)

N'zonzi (10k???)

Givet (35k???)

Van Heerden (10k???)

Others (25k???)

I am estimating us spending approx £140k on new additions/contract improvements.

That is a net saving on the playing side of approx £60k, or £3.1m.

We still have some way to go on these calculations, but with a few fringe players moved out and the savings we could be possibly making on loan signings we will not be too far away.

Maybe this is why Sam has so far gone for a lot of younger players who are not looking for their final pay day, which is where we may get stung by the likes of Salgado, Zenden and Rothen.

Our backroom team seems to be a little smaller than in the past also so maybe Sam has made some savings here.

You've had to heavily bias those numbers on either side to get a significant saving though. I doubt we were paying Ooijer £40k a week, or Tugay £25k. As far as the wage bill is concerned, Derbyshire went in January so you can't really include him.

Kalinic's yearly wage was published in an article somewhere, it came nearer to £40k a week. Di Santo needs adding to that too, I'd guess he's on somewhere between £10k-£15k.

I think we've probably made a small saving so far, but we've got 3 players on the verge of arriving, and I doubt Salgado and Rothen will be cheap in terms of wages.

1) The wages went bersek last season and had to be pulled back - the club probably lost £8m or thereabouts as a result of loss of prize money of £7m and wages increasing by £6m.

2) The Trustees will only sell to somebody who will honour the spirit of Jack's intentions for the club. Nobody has got to base one on that point so this business about selling price is a fantasy item.

And if Santa Cruz had not insisted on going we would have managed.

I see in the LT that the young fool Kalinic is thinking of European qualification. Did no-one tell him that round here we're aiming for 15th at best? When he realises he'll probably sue the club for gross misrepresentation, though perhaps the absence of any good midfield players might have already clued him in.

Welcome aboard son on the survival express!

:mellow: just watched the goals on you tube,and he can score from 2 yards,which is a improvement on roberts,the problem is we do not know the true level of croat football.i hope he turns out to be very good,most of the croatian team play abroad and this his natural progression.i wonder what the pecking order is at ewood in the strikers

1-di santo

2-benny

3-nicola

4-roberts

is my choice at the moment -_-

I think the pecking order will be:

1- Kalinic.

2- Di Santo.

3- Benni.

4- Roberts.

Spending a large amount of money on Kalinic in terms of fee and wages so you would expect him to be the main striker (may not start straight away due to fitness). Di Santo comes with a big rep and Chelsea will want him to be played, Sam is a big fan of his.

Of course Sam could always chop and change depending on form, injuries etc but i expect Kalinic and Di Santo to feature up front together quite a lot.

Is there a plan to reduce the debt either in the short, mid or long term ?

Plus how much did demolishing St.Bartholomews school and church cost ?

I think it'll be one young 'un and one oldie, I can't see Sam picking a 21 year old and a 20 year old as his first choice strike force.

Probably Kalinic with Di Santo backup, partnering McCarthy with Roberts as backup. I think it'll all be quite flexible though, with no 1st/2nd/3rd/4th choice set in stone.

I think it'll be one young 'un and one oldie, I can't see Sam picking a 21 year old and a 20 year old as his first choice strike force.

Probably Kalinic with Di Santo backup, partnering McCarthy with Roberts as backup. I think it'll all be quite flexible though, with no 1st/2nd/3rd/4th choice set in stone.

Thats probably a better way at looking at it, i think Kalinic will probably be the first striker on the teamsheet if everyone is fit and there are no obvious differences in terms of form. Its then up to the rest to fight for a place alongside him (thats if we play a 4-4-2 of course).

I can see Kalinic and Di Santo working quite well together, you have a big man (who is no slouch either from what i've seen) who can link up and hold up play and you have the pacier Kalinic making those runs at the opposition. From the looks of it his movement is pretty good and is lethal in the box.

Whats the significance of that? (Not a cheeky question, just haven't heard of it)

I think the point the poster is making is that it cost money that could have been better used elsewhere.

But why did it have to be knocked down and why did Rovers have to pay ??

I think the land will be used as a car park. It was a nice old building and I can only assume that it was in a poor state of repair but to be honest I have no special knowledge on the subject.

Archived