BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Topic The Final Day

Gareth Bale ticks every box IF Warnock leaves.

Still young, once highly rated but lost his way, potentially cheap(ish) with sell on value and good set piece delivery.

I don't want Warnock to leave but part of me thinks it's inevitable, Bale would be a good replacement IMO.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bales impressive losing record is just for spurs. He did well at. Southampton and would be a good

choice if he could get back to his early form.

Didn't they get relegated?

I think Shorey is another reclamation project - will get slammed for this, but wouldn't mind him as a part exchange to play behind Givet for a bit.

I can't see the point in this, a blind man on a blind galloping horse could see we need an attacking midfielder. So we sign an ageing right back who may or may not be able to play in a defensive midfield role when we already have at least two players able to play there.

Tell me how many free attacking midfielders you can see on the market.

We're bringing in someone who can contribute a real touch of class to the side for this season and next and not paying a transfer fee. That's good business.

a few opinions-

1. martin o`neill doesn`t see warnock as a left back imo, he sees him as gareth barry`s replacement in midfield having been impressed with him in that role during our game at villa park last season(where warnock scored a great goal involving a series of 1-2`s on a break from midfield). he see`s warnock as having more talent as a midfielder than as a left back(a bit like gareth barry who mon also converted from a left back). if sam sees warnock the same way, then i agree we should keep him. however if he see`s him as a left back only, then we should sell as he won`t be happy playing second fiddle to givet.

2. sam has never said that salgado is being brought in as a holding midfielder, the only comparison he made with hierro was in age terms, in that many questioned his decision to bring such an aged player into bolton, but he found room for his quality in a midfield role(he`s not said he intends playing salgado there too though, conclusions are being jumped to)

3. givet has been brought in a primarily our first choice left back, he could play centre back in an emergency(as against city), but he isn`t competing for that role. if nelson and samba are first choice, he won`t be on the bench with warnock first choice at left back. i`m hoping this means sam is going to try warnock in a long term central midfield role as i believe with his shooting ability from that posistion he would improve us as an attacking force in a big way.

3. givet has been brought in a primarily our first choice left back, he could play centre back in an emergency(as against city), but he isn`t competing for that role. if nelson and samba are first choice, he won`t be on the bench with warnock fist choice at left back. i`m hoping this means sam is going to try warnock in a long term central midfield role as i believe with his shooting ability from that posistion he would improve us as an attacking force in a big way.

Well, his performance against fulham and his goal scoring gives u plenty of support on that front. I fully agree that he shud be a CM (along with Emerton as both can attack and defend very well) with Givet/Salgado/Jacobsen vying for the full back roles.

tom, if sam see`s him as a midfielder like i hope he does, then you`ll not get the chance to see ;)

I have a sneaky suspicion that I will get to see :P

To be honest I don't even care about signing him as long as we get a new left back, cause Shorey disgusts me hes so bad.

I have a sneaky suspicion that I will get to see :P

To be honest I don't even care about signing him as long as we get a new left back, cause Shorey disgusts me hes so bad.

we won`t sell for 7m if sam tries him in the middle and he`s a success, because his value for being good in that posistion would double from 7m to around 14m. like garreth barry in fact eh? wasn`t he once on the verge of joining pompey for 6m as a left back? one year later as a midfielder and you find yourself rejecting 18m bids. warnock is now at exactly the same age barry was when o`neill converted him to play in the middle :)

Guest ErinBrown

Sorry, this has to be asked. What is the point in selling one of our better players that is settled in our squad. To get another player who plays in the same position which is going to be a risk as he could be better or worse. Both players would be on similar wages, and i doubt we could get a further player with any change left over.

Granted it might pay for a bit of Salgado's wages, but it surely isn't worth the risk if were going to get a 'other' player such as a midfielder, plus the replacement left back.

I have confused myself, that does make sense doesn't it?

we won`t sell for 7m if sam tries him in the middle and he`s a success, because his value for being good in that posistion would double from 7m to around 14m. like garreth barry in fact eh? wasn`t he once on the verge of joining pompey for 6m as a left back? one year later as a midfielder and you find yourself rejecting 18m bids. warnock is now at exactly the same age barry was when o`neill converted him to play in the middle :)

Well no cause Barry was a winger anyway he played LB emergencies, and Barry is obviously a better midfielder than Warnock, I mean no offence as I always say I like Blackburn but I don't think it'd take 14m to persuade you to sell him, hes a good player but hes not amazing or anything, luckily for you we're desperate atm and when teams get desperate they can often flash the cash to sort out what they need, O'neill would know...his fees for players are often stupid and illogical.

I thought the manager didn't really have any input into transfer FEE negotiations,rather than leaving that to the money men in the suits?..or am I wrong on that one?

I'd love to see MGP or Emo in the CM position.

People may argue MGP has never played there for club or country, but everything needs to happen for a first time,so why not??

I thought the manager didn't really have any input into transfer FEE negotiations,rather than leaving that to the money men in the suits?..or am I wrong on that one?

I'd love to see MGP or Emo in the CM position.

People may argue MGP has never played there for club or country, but everything needs to happen for a first time,so why not??

Ah you see, at a normal club where the manager isn't a control freak that is the case! but MON has decided he wants to run Villa from top to bottom so he along with Paul Faulkner sort the fees etc. Sometimes it's good but it leads to things taking forever.

Tell me how many free attacking midfielders you can see on the market.

We're bringing in someone who can contribute a real touch of class to the side for this season and next and not paying a transfer fee. That's good business.

I see both sides on this one, he will add to the squad in a positive way, yet again the lads will have a champions league winner they can look up too, it will raise their games. But I am also firmly in the camp that we need MUCH better in midfield. World cup year coming up, little to no movement, we could wait and see what presents itself in the loan form, late on. We would get someone and he'd be a midfielder but not of Salgado's pedigree, no chance.

But we've done that before as well and it doesn't seem to work out.

But, For me the issue is will the next one come to Rovers?? Because the long haired hippy from Spain does.

Archived