BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Topic The Final Day

I think we're going to be lucky to survive. And if we do get relegated, it will be what we deserve for our actions (as a club) over the last 20 months. I won't shed a tear.

I will...........................knuntler............................... <_<

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our decline dates back almost two years to the day when we were near the top of the table with 21 points from ten games. We'd just beaten Spurs 2-1 at the Lane that day but Savage broke his leg and Hughes was seemingly denied funding to replace him the following January no doubt hastening his departure.

Since then the speed of our decline has been alarming. In just twelve months we've sold Friedel, Bentley, Roque, Warnock, and Derbyshire and finally lost Tugay from the squad. Savage was never replaced either and imo the only real quality addition in the last three windows has been Robinson. So it's not hard to see why we're struggling at the wrong end of the table.

I think this has been a shocking window, we've sold players for 29m and still haven't addressed our longstanding midfield problem.

Up front from a purely footballing perspective we needed to replace RSC with a proven Premiership performer like Bent or Crouch. We opted to take a cheaper punt instead on a young lad who is completely unproven and Derbyshire wasn't even replaced by a permanent signing!. We got a loanee and only one until January at that! So potentially I think we could be just as weak up front.

I'm not happy either Den, but what can we do about it other than rattle our gums on here? Not bother going to the games? Not renew our season tickets next season?

That's probably not the answer either as it will harm the club and there will be a point when the current owners/manager and Board aren't here whereas most of us us fans still will be as always.

Jesus.

How the hell does Derbyshire constitute losing one of our best players? He couldnt cut it. Hoillet and Di Santo (yes a loanee) have far more promise yes?

Plus, doesnt Givet count as our best last signing?

Doesnt Robinson therefore cancel out Friedel's departure?

RSC didnt play or score last season so Kalinic surely cant do any worse..?

Warnock, fair enough, but Givet, Chimbonda, Salgado and Jacobsen make up his departure.

And isnt Nzonzi better than the Axe???

I have now repeated myself from a previous post, i do apologise.

So very disappointed with rovers.

The transfer windows over the last 12 months have seen us sell players to the tune of around £50m. All the talk and hope from some of our fans was that the money would be reinvested and we could strengthen on the back of the sales. Unfortunately, those who have been watching football long enough know there's really only one outcome when you sell big and buy small. Some fans were expecting us to be going for the Lennon's and Darren Bents with that cash. We weren't even in the discussions.

Only 12 months ago, we had a manger who set targets that could take us into Europe, now the target is what? Gone is all talk of ambition. When was the last positive message anyone heard from anyone at the club - John Williams, big Sam, - anyone?

At the end of last season the owners put forward a fantastic season ticket initiative. Alas, unless the displays improve ten fold, many of those who bought, wont be coming back, probably for a long time. Why bother with the ticket initiative if the club simply sells it's best players and doesn't even compete for the decent replacements?

John Williams always said that a clubs wage bill should reflect the final league position. The owners demanded that the wage bill should be cut by £5m. We scraped to safety last season, so where do they expect the team to finish this season?

Our club has taken a massive step backwards this summer - in my opinion. It's not going to be easy to recover from that. This Kalanic better be good because a lot, very unfairly, will rest on his young inexperienced shoulders.

Sorry to place another depressing post, but that's how I feel.

Exactly, I couldn't agree more . I've seen the future and it doesn't work.

My opinion, for what it's worth.

Our midfield is fine IF Dunny stays fit. Remember, the season he rejoined us he played almost every game and did really well in most. N'Zonzi also looks like someone who will become a very good player in time. Some of the things he did against Man City were great. Hoilett also looks like someone that will prove to be excellent.

I'm worried about the teenage twins up front- not because I don't think they'll be good- I just don't know if they'll be good enought fast enough- but then Rocky wasn't fit (and still isn't) and Derbyshire wasn't very good, so I don't think we're worse off there.

Defence is MUCH stronger now. I liked Warnock, but he was a godawful defender. Great going forward, but I dreaded people going 1 on 1 with him. You knew he was either going to be skinned or give away a dangerous free kick.

Having seen us twice this season already (nearly 3 but accidents on the M1 interevened) I amn't really worried. But then I will be worried if Dunny gets broken again. I also have this feeling of serenity which I dodn't have last year. I have faith in Sam.

Jesus.

How the hell does Derbyshire constitute losing one of our best players? He couldnt cut it. Hoillet and Di Santo (yes a loanee) have far more promise yes?

Plus, doesnt Givet count as our best last signing?

Doesnt Robinson therefore cancel out Friedel's departure?

RSC didnt play or score last season so Kalinic surely cant do any worse..?

Warnock, fair enough, but Givet, Chimbonda, Salgado and Jacobsen make up his departure.

And isnt Nzonzi better than the Axe???

I have now repeated myself from a previous post, i do apologise.

Impossible to say about Di Santo, I've only see him play 9 minutes at Ewood during which I don't think he even touched the ball. I just don't see the point in a half season loan, Chelsea will be expecting him to play but should he play or should we give priority to those who will be here permanently to forge an understanding? I think it's a tricky one.

Givet is a good signing but centre half was already probably our strongest position.

We know when RSC is fit he is capable of both linking up play and scoring 20 goals in the Prem. We don't know if Kalinic can do it at all in the Prem.

Jacobsen I'm not impressed with on his performances thus far, I can't see where Salgado is going to fit in and Chimbonda is a relatively short term signing compared to Warnock.

Nzonzi may develop into a top class player in a season or two but we really needed the finished article now and we should have been able to bring someone in with the money we've brought in.

Hoilett- Not really a signing but he is a new face to the senior squad, Young and unproven.

Kalinic- Young and unproven.

Di Santo- Young and unproven.

Van Heerden- Hasn't featured yet.

Salgado- Where is he going to play?

Jacobsen- Looked decent so far, but potentially faces a lot of competition.

Chimbonda- Really a RB, will he be happy playing left back often? Will there be no off the field issues?

N'Zonzi- Young and unproven.

How often have people complained that there isn't enough youth or pace in our squad? Now we have players who provide that and suddenly experience has become the priority? You can't have everything.

My gut feeling is that signing Salgado was a mistake, if we had sold Warnock could we have used the transfer fee and wages of Warnock and the wages Salgado would have been on to buy a proper natural CM/AMC? If so i think that would have seen us in better shape and solved the major weakness of our side for the past two years.

Same here. Even if he can play midfield he is going to want to play in the same space as Grella, Reid and NZonzi like to, in front of the back four.

He will probably be fit for next game. I wonder where he will go?

The Algerian Ghilas was sent away after a similar spell...and signed for Hull. Time will tell if he is any good.

Has looked promising so far. Between him and Altidore, they have a couple of pretty good promising young attackers.

Just a quick question doctorryan, you say that rothen would have improved our cm options. How exactly does signing a winger improve our options in the middle of the park. He is not a cm player, simple as that. It's like saying signing Ellington would have improved our goal keeping options.

According to Nicko, he was played more centrally last season.

Dr ryan - Rothen is on 40k a week, im glad we didnt touch him.

Magicalmorten - im with you, im happy with what we have done. Would of preferred a midfielder today but never mind. Emerton will get back and stay fit and the rest should be ok.

Nicko - thanks as always - you should have some time to get on with that family tree now!

I couldn't agree with you more, Magical Morten. We are a better team than last year and will do well this season. Top ten and maybe a cup challenge. I doubt that will shut up any of the Sam haters, though.

Just for the record I am far from being "a Sam hater" and I doubt Den is either.

Any idea how much we paid for Chimbonda 'vs' what we received for Warnock? If there was a substantial difference then I'm relatively content that at least there might be a plan B to try and shore up the midfield in January... then I pinch myself, wakeup and realise that money will have magically disappeared by January. Probably not a fair comment and certainly not considering the bigger financial picture but it's hard to get excited about the coming season when looking at our squad going into September.

People keep talking about Van Heerden being "one for the future" but I thought he was about 24, in which case he should be one for now! Players that aren't good enough by that age need to move on (e.g. Gallagher, Derbyshire, etc.)... looks like he did just that though and landed on our doorstep. Another second rate player to make up the numbers in a Championship side!

I think Sam has done very well this summer. People complaining about selling our best players:

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FINISH 15TH!!!!!!

Why are you so surprised????

It doesnt show a 'lack of ambition' it shows that players are always going to jump at the chance to play for a better club and that its stupid to turn down silly money for players who arent really worth it. Do people seriously believe we shouldnt have sold Roque for £17m?????, Bentley for £16m??? SERIOUSLY??

Also,

Stop complaining about the lack of funds, we are a SMALL club - a vast amount of money has to go to banks, on wages etc and its only what is left over that can be spent on new players. Shoot me if im 'lacking ambition' but I think its sensible to firstly put the financial safety of the club ahead of anything else.

And then we get to the players:

Roque - Barely played or scored at all last season, has been replaced with: Hoillet - one of the brightest prospects we've had in a long long time. Kalinic - Young, buckets of potential, Croatian international with a brilliant track record in Croatia. Van Heerden is obviously one for the future.

Id say we're stronger.

Warnock - Chimbonda looks a decent replacement albeit only based on a single appearance. Jacobsen is a very solid RB and Salgado is a vastly experienced champions league winning full back. - Givet, has looked brilliant so far, Ewood cult hero in the making.

Overall, Stronger.

Derbyshire - struggled in the prem. only, at best an impact substitute - replaced with Di Santo - One of the brightest youngsters from Chelsea who impressed on their American pre season tour.

Stronger

Mokoena - useless. - replaced with Nzonzi. Young, tall and already looks more suited to the league than the Axe ever did

Stronger.

NOW, exactly how have we become weaker this summer??

Blimey, Magic that`s much too positive a post. We`ve all gone suicidal on here now; btw thanks for your excellent summary. I do agree with you.

Yes we do.

:huh::rolleyes:;)

Just a quick question doctorryan, you say that rothen would have improved our cm options. How exactly does signing a winger improve our options in the middle of the park. He is not a cm player, simple as that. It's like saying signing Ellington would have improved our goal keeping options.

With PSG I saw him more in the middle than on the wing. I kept typing that but it fell on blind eyes I guess. He was our best option, short term, to try and replace Tugs in some form. That being said, his days with Monaco when he was a pure winger were his best and it seems that Rangers will use him in that capacity more often than not. That's my first impression anyway.

Just to add to that

Samba - young and untried

Nelson - unproven

MGP - unproven

Roque - injured at munich - unproven in the prem

and there are many more.... the proven ones we signed were dickov yorke etc..

so I think its just the way we do things.. your right 50 million out and 17 million in in the last 2 seasons but again as pointed out thats what you get for finishing 15th

I think we will be fine this season in the mids we have

grella, van heerden , emerton, reid, dunn, mgp, nzoni, hoillet, andrews, diouf

thats 10 midfielders... more than alot of clubs... we will be fine there for now and im sure we have some money reserved till Jan

cmon the Rovers...

Archived