BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pascal Chimbonda

I just don't like his attitude. He looks decent at times but that is usually when running with the ball and occasional flair play.

When it comes to concentrating, defending and putting his body on the line, it just doesn't happen.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he's had 5 clubs in 5 years, hopefully we can make it 6 in 6, shift him by any means necessary and sign a left back.

Some of Samba's transfer money can go towards that. There are more pressing areas to attend to.

We have one natural left-back in Olsson and two players who can play there in Givet and Chimbonda.

Much as people may wish, I doubt anything is going to change in the left-back department this Summer.

Why do people keep mentioning Olsson??

He is excelling as a LEFT WINGER, so counting him as a left back means we have no left winger. He should not be cover for that role given his performances on the wing. Givet is a center back and for me easily in the top two we have, I would like him back in that role. Givet at left back for tougher games, but against lesser teams it would be good to have one that has attacking threat.

Chimbonda a left back :wacko: , I said it the day he arrived and pointed out his limitations in playing this role. A lot of other people on here have seen the same. No left peg, doesn't tackle, doesn't stop crosses.

As I said a striker and a midfielder are the priorities, IF there's anything left its the next position.

People were happy with Chimbonda in his 1st few games - since then he has become abit of a scapegoat for critiscm.

Id rather see Jacobsen, Grella, Emerton leave before him to be honest - all those 3 offer us very little!! At least Chimbonda is versatile unlike Jacob, and both Grella & Emerton have been damaged by injuries!

People were happy with Chimbonda in his 1st few games - since then he has become abit of a scapegoat for critiscm.

Id rather see Jacobsen, Grella, Emerton leave before him to be honest - all those 3 offer us very little!! At least Chimbonda is versatile unlike Jacob, and both Grella & Emerton have been damaged by injuries!

Salgado is first choice right back.

Jacobsen and chimbonda are the back-ups. Jacobsen out of the two is most likely to be on the lower wages, he can do a decent if unspectacular job at right back. So for me is the one we should keep.

Chimbonda is no scapegoat and may have done alright in his first few games, lets put that down to new club syndrome. Since then he's time and again failed in his defensive duties and his main one is stopping crosses. He doesn't get close enough always turns his back and has been responsible for us conceding quite a few goals (obvioulsy other take some blame as well). He looks alright going forward, but can he play the ball down the line? Can he wipe in a first time cross, or any cross for that matter? At left back he most certainly cannot. He is so unconfident with that leg he will always look to play the ball either inside with his right or back to the centre back. That is a serious tactical flaw and has and will always be exploited.

For me he was a panic buy given we had already signed both Salgado and Jacobsen. Yes he's versitaile but that doesn't mean he's up to the job in either of his other two roles, left back and center back. We don't need him in the middle now Jones has emerged. We don't need a back-up right back on around 30K a week with our limited finances. And since he's incredibly limited a left back and no longer first choice there, do we need him, no way.

I would ask why Sam started playing one of our best centre backs out there?

Why was Olsson played there last time we needed one?

Simple once january was over he played 4 games, given his weekly appearances before then I'd say I'm not the only one who thinks he's not up to the job. List him.

Salgado is first choice right back.

Jacobsen and chimbonda are the back-ups. Jacobsen out of the two is most likely to be on the lower wages, he can do a decent if unspectacular job at right back. So for me is the one we should keep.

Chimbonda is no scapegoat and may have done alright in his first few games, lets put that down to new club syndrome. Since then he's time and again failed in his defensive duties and his main one is stopping crosses. He doesn't get close enough always turns his back and has been responsible for us conceding quite a few goals (obvioulsy other take some blame as well). He looks alright going forward, but can he play the ball down the line? Can he wipe in a first time cross, or any cross for that matter? At left back he most certainly cannot. He is so unconfident with that leg he will always look to play the ball either inside with his right or back to the centre back. That is a serious tactical flaw and has and will always be exploited.

For me he was a panic buy given we had already signed both Salgado and Jacobsen. Yes he's versitaile but that doesn't mean he's up to the job in either of his other two roles, left back and center back. We don't need him in the middle now Jones has emerged. We don't need a back-up right back on around 30K a week with our limited finances. And since he's incredibly limited a left back and no longer first choice there, do we need him, no way.

I would ask why Sam started playing one of our best centre backs out there?

Why was Olsson played there last time we needed one?

Simple once january was over he played 4 games, given his weekly appearances before then I'd say I'm not the only one who thinks he's not up to the job. List him.

Perfectly sums up my opinion on our current FB situation.

I would just like to add, moving Olsson to FB to cover for injuries, means moving MGP back out wide the hole he leaves is filled by either Emerton or Keef.

Two players moved out of position, which most agree was there best position last season, just to cover Givet. Olsson in particular now poses quite a serious goal threat to the opposition, we don't want to lose it.

I think the main reason Chimbo was bought was because he could play anywhere across the back four. Before we knew Jones and Hanley were capable, we did look short at centre back before Chimbonda arrived.

Given that he's incredibly unlikely to play centre back for us ever again, he does look a bit pointless in the squad now - an out of position left back or third choice right back.

That said, I don't think there is much difference between him and Jacobsen, one of them needs to move on in the summer though. I'd prefer Chimbonda to move on because he's probably on higher wages, but there's not much in it.

Jacobsen is a consumate professional. Never moans when he's substituted, doesn't get himself splashed across the tabloids, doesn't pout on the pitch when things aren't going his way, and he's actually a very solid full back.

All things considered, if it was between the two of them, I'd much rather have him than Chimbonda.

Agreed. Add to that the financial side of things; I believe Chimbonda is on higher wages, and we'd probably be able to get more for him than for Jacobsen, although I don't think there's a huge demand for either.

Because left-back is his natural position. Am I getting your back up?!

Don't rule out the possibility of Pedersen reverting to left-wing next season.

And yet we could have done that the season just gone. But we didn't.

I do not see why you are claiming him to be a left back when everytime he's played there he's been exposed. And yet at Left wing he's really played well and you suggest we should move him back there???

If its not broke don't fix it, left wing with Olsson is more than fine.

Olsson played all down the left side in the reserves and not just a left back, he's a winger now and a good one given what we saw last year. Moving him to left back only makes us weaker attacking wise.

Why do people keep mentioning Olsson??

He is excelling as a LEFT WINGER,

I'd wager that he's represented BRFC far more at left back. Although it seems obvious now that like Gareth Bale he is more effective in a left midfield berth.

Yet his best performances have been at left-back.

I'd be happy with him having another go there and Olsson in left midfield.

People forget that he has been the back-four's b*tch this season and has played in all three possible positions. He screwed up after a good start but give the guy another chance I say.

I don't mind Chimbonda, I'm happy enough for him to stay (although I don't think we need Jacobsen too).

I don't think he'll get a run at left back unless Givet is injured though, we've already got Samba, Nelsen and Jones battling for the centre back positions, I think Givet will be nailed down at left back next season.

I don't mind Chimbonda, I'm happy enough for him to stay (although I don't think we need Jacobsen too).

I'd try to offload both of them. They really aren't needed and would free up some extra £££. If we don't sign a new left-back, we'll always have Givet - and Olsson to cover. At right-back, we have Salgado, and Emerton who can also play there.

I wouldnt move Olsson back for two reasons. Givet is a better defender and Olsson a much better attacking winger. Pedersen cant muster anything in that position. Unless we strengthen the left back position with someone else, Id keep the status quo.

Get rid...and dont replace!!! Money in the bank & a saving on wages - making our job easier in the future!!

That's quite a change in opinion, what happened in the 11 hours between those posts??

Forum ADHD is common around these parts.

In fairness, I have sometimes changed my mind (i.e. contradicted myself) from one day to the next. Being a Rovers' fan is something of an emotional roller coaster ride.

I've seen Givet exposed FAR more times at left-back than Olsson, at least this season. If anything, Olsson has much improved defensively since his woeful season there under Ince.

Givet and Olsson, IMO, are defensive equals at left-back, if not Olsson moreso. What Olsson gives at left back is the attacking forward runs - something that Givet can't give. But Olsson playing there would depend on Pedersen reverting back to left-wing.

It probably won't happen but in many ways it's better to have Olsson at left-back than Givet. Maybe with Guti coming into the team it will push Pedersen back onto the left. That, of course, would depend on Pedersen rejuvenating his Rovers career as to whether it worked or not. I think he can, but most would not.

Sorry chap I completely disagree, Givet may have been exposed more but thats probably down to him playing there for the best part of half a season. I can't really remember Olsson playing there last year so have no idea how you think he's better than Givet defensively. I would never say Olsson was a better defender than Givet.

At the end of the day I wouldn't move the lad back for all the tea in china, I'm much happier with him roaming the left wing and ped's inside.

I can see why you want him at left back, but for me since he's done brillantly at left wing I wouldn't move him as it makes no sense to me.

Topman, thats something I hadn't thought of shift the pair of them and keep Emo as the cover. Has merit as he alright there no worse than either of the other two and can play elsewhere.

Must say one thing though, can't say I'm getting on board with all the comments about Sam in the market as now:

Diouf

Jacobsen

Chimbonda

Van Heerden

should all be shown the door. I know he's had some good finds but not too impressed so far with his track record.

Sorry chap I completely disagree, Givet may have been exposed more but thats probably down to him playing there for the best part of half a season. I can't really remember Olsson playing there last year so have no idea how you think he's better than Givet defensively. I would never say Olsson was a better defender than Givet.

At the end of the day I wouldn't move the lad back for all the tea in china, I'm much happier with him roaming the left wing and ped's inside.

I can see why you want him at left back, but for me since he's done brillantly at left wing I wouldn't move him as it makes no sense to me.

Topman, thats something I hadn't thought of shift the pair of them and keep Emo as the cover. Has merit as he alright there no worse than either of the other two and can play elsewhere.

Must say one thing though, can't say I'm getting on board with all the comments about Sam in the market as now:

Diouf

Jacobsen

Chimbonda

Van Heerden

should all be shown the door. I know he's had some good finds but not too impressed so far with his track record.

Diouf did a good job for us the season we avoided the drop. We shouldnt move on both Jacobsen and Chimbonda as we need one spare RB, I'd say move Chimbonda on as Jacobsen has actually looked pretty good when he's been in the team. Van Heerden hasnt really amounted to much but didnt cost much either.

Diouf did a good job for us the season we avoided the drop. We shouldnt move on both Jacobsen and Chimbonda as we need one spare RB, I'd say move Chimbonda on as Jacobsen has actually looked pretty good when he's been in the team. Van Heerden hasnt really amounted to much but didnt cost much either.

But Emerton can play RB, in fact it's his best position.

I've seen Givet exposed FAR more times at left-back than Olsson, at least this season. If anything, Olsson has much improved defensively since his woeful season there under Ince.

Givet and Olsson, IMO, are defensive equals at left-back, if not Olsson moreso. What Olsson gives at left back is the attacking forward runs - something that Givet can't give. But Olsson playing there would depend on Pedersen reverting back to left-wing.

It probably won't happen but in many ways it's better to have Olsson at left-back than Givet. Maybe with Guti coming into the team it will push Pedersen back onto the left. That, of course, would depend on Pedersen rejuvenating his Rovers career as to whether it worked or not. I think he can, but most would not.

Sorry but I disagree with just about all of that.

oops. You answered before I disagreed. :blink:

Archived