BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pascal Chimbonda

Chimbo just been on SSN.

Says he thinks he can settle down at Rovers, happy to be back in NW, and is happy with the opportunity Rovers have given him. Said he can play anywhere in defence and doesn't mind where as long as he gets to play. Thinks he can get back to the form that got him in to the PL team of the year.

Decent little spot for Rovers.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Chimbonda was excellent on Saturday, but his reliance on his right foot was massively evident.

I'd like to see him up against a decent right winger before deciding if he's up to the task.

I must admit I was expecting him to struggle, but on Saturday he played against two of the best wingers in the country and came through with flying colours.

Long term I'd play him at left back with Givet on the left side of the Centre halves, we can swap and change as and when necessary.

From out of nowhere we appear to have acquired a first choice back 4 that I am absolutely delighted with.

EDIT: Whats with the pink?!

Still trying to understand, why with a solid defensive back 4 or 5, we still look a bit all over the place. Is this because Chimbo, and Lars are only starting to work with Nelsen, Givet and Samba and understand how to play as a unit?

Still trying to understand, why with a solid defensive back 4 or 5, we still look a bit all over the place. Is this because Chimbo, and Lars are only starting to work with Nelsen, Givet and Samba and understand how to play as a unit?

We did at Everton but that was mainly due to Salgado being terrible.

I thought the defence as a unit against Villa was excellent, and it will only improve when Givet comes back. Best set of defenders available in as long as I have followed Rovers (18 years) - Givet, Jacobsen and Samba are all outstanding - and Robinson is nearly as good as Freidel.

Honestly the only reasonable expectation to impove it is a left footed left back. But it would have to be a very good one because Chimbonda is better imo than Warnock, Baines, Kochenski etc.

Is the fact that this topic is in girly pink significant or has someone just mucked it up.

• 8 months later...

I suppose the silver lining in the cloud is that he wants to stay and fight for his place, rather than throw his dummy out the pram as most would expect from him.

Or his agent knows he won't find a better deal than Rovers.

I suppose the silver lining in the cloud is that he wants to stay and fight for his place, rather than throw his dummy out the pram as most would expect from him. I still think he has a part to play at Rovers, especially given that he can play left-back or right-back. His strength has always been attacking down the flank from deep so if he can get his form back from the first half of last season and make a real difference, which I believe he did, then it means we will have some good squad depth in those positions.

Betwen him and Jacobsen, I think Jacobsen has to go.

Jacobsen is a consumate professional. Never moans when he's substituted, doesn't get himself splashed across the tabloids, doesn't pout on the pitch when things aren't going his way, and he's actually a very solid full back.

All things considered, if it was between the two of them, I'd much rather have him than Chimbonda.

The worrying thing to me is he is one year into a two year deal. If we fail to flog him this summer then we may have to accept taking a big hit on him financially. Two years on big wages and likely to leave for free when his contract expires. If we get any sort of interest this summer we should sell in a heartbeat.

I suppose the silver lining in the cloud is that he wants to stay and fight for his place, rather than throw his dummy out the pram as most would expect from him. I still think he has a part to play at Rovers, especially given that he can play left-back or right-back. His strength has always been attacking down the flank from deep so if he can get his form back from the first half of last season and make a real difference, which I believe he did, then it means we will have some good squad depth in those positions.

Betwen him and Jacobsen, I think Jacobsen has to go.

I almost agree, I heard that he was not happy at all around march/April time, that may well have changed, then again as it is his agent who is doing the talking, maybe he has used the opportunity to remind other clubs (without touting him around) he is not No1 and could leave if the offer was right.

Did Ben Collins have a few minutes spare and thought, I'll just give Willie Sly a ring and ask how Chimbo's fettling at rovers, Yeh! right.

Just my way of looking at it of course.

When he signed Nicko said he ws on big wages, I'm guessing around 30k.

Jacobsen, ???? 20k

Jacobsen did fine early season, and as jisty I think says never heard a peep from him.

Agree with patrickvalery, 1 year left on his contract, very dangerous situation.

Yes Chimbo is probably a better over all RB, he makes me very nervous at LB, we would have to have a pandemic for him to be needed in CD.

Bert and Keef ;) can back up Salgado and Jacobsen.

Wages would be the main reason I would sell if there was an offer, ?? then would be, stash the cash and wages or seek a proper LB.

I'm 99% certain Chimbonda was at left-back and Salgado was at right-back.

Sorry, Jacobsen was at right-back.

1-0 to you.

I still stand by my OP though. :P

Your OP with the link to Sky.

Willie Sly only says "No, he's quite happy there." five words, it's all over the net now.

JOB DONE. ;)

:blush: Apology to Bob Collins, he didn't need a minute, it's a copy paste from the LT, even worse.

Five clubs in five years for Chimbonda... it doesn't look good for any other club looking to take him on but, as you mentioned, I doubt he'll get much higher wages elsewhere and, if we're honest, is probably the raw reason why he's staying.

But if he does fight for his place, as he should do, it can only be a good thing. Worst case scenario, he's a good squad player to have.

True, just ruffles the feathers a bit when you see circa 80k a week for RB's.

Archived