BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pascal Chimbonda

Well it looks like the Chimbonda deal is going to go forward, might as well start up a thread and give your views on this player.

Personally i am not a fan. Regard him as a 'jack of all trades master of none' and at 30 years old and a big wage he is an expensive cover. There is also the issue he has the ego of a planet.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well it looks like the Chimbonda deal is going to go forward, might as well start up a thread and give your views on this player.

Personally i am not a fan. Regard him as a 'jack of all trades master of none' and at 30 years old and a big wage he is an expensive cover. There is also the issue he has the ego of a planet and i remember reading on a Sunderland board when we were linked to Diouf that him and Diouf were a bit of a bad influence on each other.

A very brave post. You might easily end up losing all credibility on here and looking daft. In fact for the good of BRFC I really hope that you do.

Solid signing......managed to earn a cap with the French side, which tells you he has ability...however lost his way since joining Spurs (See Bentley and many others too)

Voted the best right back in the league over the likes of Neville too! 2007 was it?!

Im sure he will be a good player for us. Good crossing ability too if he plays full back.

Not going to let my fury over Warnock being allowed to leave cloud this one so will wait and see, firstly where he plays on Saturday and then take it from there.

But I can't exactly say I'm running around the garden doing cartwheels.

I hope we hurry up and sign the middlesbourgh kid, it'll be good to have another Brit in the squad.

And don't forget a midfielder Sam, even a loan will do. One of the bigger european clubs must have someone we could use??

I rate him. Intelligent, good positioning, good in the air, pace. Has impressed me at centreback and fullback. Good distribution of the ball.

We possibly now have the best defensive options we have ever had in the Premiership.

Givet-Nelsen-Samba-Chimbonda

That is an outstanding back line. If Taylor comes through that adds another string to our bow.

A very brave post. You might easily end up losing all credibility on here and looking daft. In fact for the good of BRFC I really hope that you do.

Absolute rubbish. I lose credibility because i don't rate a player the manager brings in?. I'm entitled to my opinion as are those who rate Andrews and those who don't so shut up.

What am i supposed to do, rate a player i don't personally rate after watching him play for some time just because he is at our club?

I was very impressed with Chimbonda at Wigan, he looked athletic and good on the ball. His career has gone down the pan somewhat since then, but hopefully he can return to his early form. I thought Diouff was a good, pacy winger as well, but I've been disappointed with him - so who knows how Chimbonda will turn out?

As a right back i think he'd be an excellent signing. Granted he has atitude problems but a strong manager like Sam should be able to manage him. Problem is that we've now got three new players who can all play there, and that's be fore you get to emerton. On this basis I assume he's going to play left back.

As a left back I have to say I am far less impressed as a signing. Speaking to mates who are spurs fans they said he wasn't all that good at left back. The fact he's right footed doesn't help either. A mediocre player if this is where we intend to play him. Not the quality we need if he is to be first choice left back.

His versitility is a bonus, especially to a team like us, but I also question how happy will he be to sit on the bench/be a squad player? Given his attitude and the fact he's moved regularly I'm not too convinced on this.

Mind you, he's an improvement on Olsson by a long way (not that that's saying much) so will be a relief to have him playing instead of Olsson. We definately need another lb if Warnock goes, so it's a gap plugged which is a bonus.

All of which is a long winded way of saying a good signing if he's a squad player (although will he be happy with this) not a good signing as a first choice left back.

Someone with great Premier League experience, can play anywhere across the back four and costs £1.5 million? Can't see a fault with this signing.

If he can get back to his form at Wigan then we'll have a bargain on our hands.

If, and its a big if, he can recapture his wigan form then its a massive coup. Sam has done it before so lets wait and see!

Personally i cant understand the doom and gloom at the moment...we've had the best window for a long time and i really think Salgado and Emerton will suprise a few in Midfield.

Up the Rovers

I am irrationally excited by this signing. I remember he was brilliant for Wigan, and decent for Spurs before the "Spurs curse" entered the scene. The only thing that worries me slightly is that we are bringing in a huge number of new defenders. It might take some time before Salgado, Chimbonda, Jacobsen and potentially Taylor become familiar with the way Samba, Givet etc. play.

I am irrationally excited by this signing. I remember he was brilliant for Wigan, and decent for Spurs before the "Spurs curse" entered the scene. The only thing that worries me slightly is that we are bringing in a huge number of new defenders. It might take some time before Salgado, Chimbonda, Jacobsen and potentially Taylor become familiar with the way Samba, Givet etc. play.

Givet, Samba and Chimbonda are all french speaking, may make comminication better at the back, hopefully Salgado and Jacobson know a little French too!!!

Archived