BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolves Preview

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want to say something. David Dunn was brilliant. Two man of the match performances in a row and both performances were his best during his second stint. Looking like some of his best form for us ever. We were up 3-0 and he was still running and the game and asking the rest of the lads to push on. Thats what I want to see.

Overall Wolves were rubbish but we have seen many rubbish teams come to Ewood and we failed to beat them. I dont want the score to deceive the fact that there is a lot of work to be done and overall we should have had at least 2-3 more points by now.

Big test next week.

On a side note, it might have been missed, but I thought this was one of Dioufs best games for us.

And Givet, what a player. By far our best central defender, and without doubt Samba and Givet should be starting partnership. I have a feeling Givet will move to left back next week though after Chimbonda's energyless display.

Did you actually watch the game ? Or are you just another negative supporter.

Don't see any of that as negative.....just a criticism of some of out shortfalls that were there for all to see today.

There were positives today (err......the result)....but we were playing a poor team weakened by injuries.

Dad said that Grella should be getting to top form soon.

I think he's seen his top form today. Along with Keef they're occupying crucial positions and are not really good enough to move us forward.

The keeper was dodgy on crosses and the centre forward lacked basic footballing ability. That we knew already.

We are better than we showed today despite the good result and there are definately 5-6 teams worse than us. Having said that we need to get 40 points on the board and to do that we need to continue to win home games such as this in the manner we did today.

The critical thing is that we stay in the division for a couple of seasons whilst ownership, investment, debt and the recession resolve themselves.

Pedersen however should not be taking corners. I will discuss reasonably a point with anybody and am willing to listen to their side of the argument, but not this. The throw-ins need a management review also.

Are you for real giving Grella better rating than Diouf? he was best player on pitch in my eyes closely followed by Dunn

And just had to edit my post after seeing you compare Roberts with Drogba. Clearly you are drunk or dont know a single thing about football

You never heard of sarcasm you dimwit!!

And yes I thought Grella was good thats my opinion, thats cos i'm a fan and am entitled to an opinion... your entitled to yours and we can agree to disagree...

How do I put Plastic Head on ignore? His stupidity is almost too much to bear and I'm ###### off I'm never going to get back the few minutes I wasted reading his moronic post.

The fact you don't know how to do it reveals the reason behind your post.

Stop reading this and ring Radio Rovers, they will accommodate your blue tinted specs.

I couldn't find a way to watch the game this week so had to follow progress on the messageboard and the Singapore Twitter (thanks guys/gals). But it seems as if most people had a great day at Ewood..........at last!

From the reports on here I was amazed to read that Roberts was man of the match in the Daily Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...tch-report.html

Fans were less enthusiastic about Chimbonda too but he made more passes than anyone else (43) with an impressive 84% success rate; whilst Skysports man of the match Pedersen made 22 passes with a success rate of 45%! Figure that one out.

Biggest thing for me today was Dunn, Grella, Emerton, Nelson, Di Santo all back.. fingers crossed Samba only has a slight knock.

I did think Chimbo really looked out of sorts at left back, and going forward he gave the ball away and struggled switching to his right.. still we may need his versatility if there are injuries in the center.

Dunn had an exceptional game, Salgado's few touches looked very good, Grella had a good game, Andrews had a decent game as did most players really.

Sam did say the youngsters would not be ready for 8 weeks after our first game, I am hoping that the young lads esp Kalinic get a decent run out.

But we played more of a 4-2-3-1 which seemed to work well (against this opposition anyway) but I cant see how our squad would fit around that formation long term...

Thinking of the squad.. what is our best def midfield combo, don't we now have Emerton, Grella, Nzonzi, Andrews and maybe Salgdo in there for those two spots (presuming we stick with 4-2-3-1).

Thinking of the squad.. what is our best def midfield combo, don't we now have Emerton, Grella, Nzonzi, Andrews and maybe Salgdo in there for those two spots (presuming we stick with 4-2-3-1).

I think Emerton and Grella with N'zonzi as cover would be the best pairing. I wonder what we are going to do with Salgado because I think Lars looks a good signing. He certainly shouldn't be dropped. Where was N'zonzi today anyway? Is he injured?

Good performance from us. I dont think we can quibble with how poor wolves was - you can only beat what you're up against. I was encouraged by the performance because it was not our best of the season. I thought we've been playing more or less in this manner this season, with the only difference being that we actually took our chances today. Man-of-the-match was clearly between Dunny and Pedersen, both who've looked rejuvenated this season. I don't know who to praise - Sam for his pre-season fitness work or the fact that their contract negotiations are up (not too sure about Dunn's contract though I thought it expires end of this season) - but I don't really care. The Dunny we've seen in the last two games has been the Dunny we thought he could be early this decade. I thought in the last two days, he was even better than during the Souness days and long may it continue. Amazed that he's managed two full games now, and if he somehow keeps it going and playing like he has, then he cannot be too far away from the England team. Could become a potential wildcard.

Salgado - probably had no more than five touches, but on all of them looked solid and very proficient in terms of technique and made some sublime passes. Hope he proves as important to us as Campo was to Bolton.

Andrews - I am an Andrews hater, but to give credit where its due, he had a good game. I thought he found his level against wolves. It was his usual good effort but for once, he was not late to everything. Should have gotten on the scoresheet but still think that he is not good enough to be a starter. What happened to N'Zonzi today? Dropped?

But some things still worry me and one was that we seem to have acquired a few players with questionable attitudes (ie: the arrogant type). Case in point - Diouf and Chimbonda's complicity in the last goal. Since following rovers in 1993, I don't think we've really had showboaters who think that they are better than they really are, which we now have. They are useful players to have, but it will be very important to keep their feet on the ground. Good to see Robinson giving them a bollocking after the third goal because their sloppiness and arrogance put us in that position in the first place.

The other negative - Roberts. I don't fault his workrate, and i think its accurate that if he could score, he would be called Drogba. Roberts' strength and pace means that he will make chances with these attributes alone. But on balance, he appears to have become a liability. Referees hate him, and he will never get a 50-50 call. Having watched all the league games this season, the referees come across as very keen to penalise him and never give him the benefit of the doubt. This will be alright if he takes his chances, but as he has proved time and again (and again today), he simply does not have the composure to tuck away simple chances. At best our substitute striker.

Good performance from us. I dont think we can quibble with how poor wolves was - you can only beat what you're up against. I was encouraged by the performance because it was not our best of the season. I thought we've been playing more or less in this manner this season, with the only difference being that we actually took our chances today. Man-of-the-match was clearly between Dunny and Pedersen, both who've looked rejuvenated this season. I don't know who to praise - Sam for his pre-season fitness work or the fact that their contract negotiations are up (not too sure about Dunn's contract though I thought it expires end of this season) - but I don't really care. The Dunny we've seen in the last two games has been the Dunny we thought he could be early this decade. I thought in the last two days, he was even better than during the Souness days and long may it continue. Amazed that he's managed two full games now, and if he somehow keeps it going and playing like he has, then he cannot be too far away from the England team. Could become a potential wildcard.

Salgado - probably had no more than five touches, but on all of them looked solid and very proficient in terms of technique and made some sublime passes. Hope he proves as important to us as Campo was to Bolton.

Andrews - I am an Andrews hater, but to give credit where its due, he had a good game. I thought he found his level against wolves. It was his usual good effort but for once, he was not late to everything. Should have gotten on the scoresheet but still think that he is not good enough to be a starter. What happened to N'Zonzi today? Dropped?

But some things still worry me and one was that we seem to have acquired a few players with questionable attitudes (ie: the arrogant type). Case in point - Diouf and Chimbonda's complicity in the last goal. Since following rovers in 1993, I don't think we've really had showboaters who think that they are better than they really are, which we now have. They are useful players to have, but it will be very important to keep their feet on the ground. Good to see Robinson giving them a bollocking after the third goal because their sloppiness and arrogance put us in that position in the first place.

The other negative - Roberts. I don't fault his workrate, and i think its accurate that if he could score, he would be called Drogba. Roberts' strength and pace means that he will make chances with these attributes alone. But on balance, he appears to have become a liability. Referees hate him, and he will never get a 50-50 call. Having watched all the league games this season, the referees come across as very keen to penalise him and never give him the benefit of the doubt. This will be alright if he takes his chances, but as he has proved time and again (and again today), he simply does not have the composure to tuck away simple chances. At best our substitute striker.

I imagine that if we play 5 midfielders then Andrews will continue being a starter until he has a bad run of form or Sam decides someone like Emerton or Reid deserve to be played ahead of him in centre mid.

If we play 4-4-2 though, I don't see him starting ahead of Dunn and Grella. I'm seriously excited about the potential of Dunn and Grella putting a consistent string of games together. I've said this multiple times before, but the combination of Dunn and Grella can easily be in the top 10 strongest in the Premier League. I don't want to exaggerate and say it could be the best because there are now a lot of quality teams and players out there.

I haven't watched the game, but from what I understand Roberts scored 1 and set up another... so was he really that bad?

I imagine that if we play 5 midfielders then Andrews will continue being a starter until he has a bad run of form or Sam decides someone like Emerton or Reid deserve to be played ahead of him in centre mid.

If we play 4-4-2 though, I don't see him starting ahead of Dunn and Grella. I'm seriously excited about the potential of Dunn and Grella putting a consistent string of games together. I've said this multiple times before, but the combination of Dunn and Grella can easily be in the top 10 strongest in the Premier League. I don't want to exaggerate and say it could be the best because there are now a lot of quality teams and players out there.

I haven't watched the game, but from what I understand Roberts scored 1 and set up another... so was he really that bad?

Roberts wasn't bad. Yesterday was his level, and he did well. But I feel he's a liability because of his consistent misses. Even the one-on-one for dunny's goal was fluffed by Roberts. And the calls going against Roberts are so bad its hilarious because the referees have probably decided that he fouls the opposing defender all the time even before the game has started. If we're aiming for anything higher than 14/15th place, then Roberts cannot be first choice.

In this form we look unstoppable. Shame City didn't come to town a month later, we'd probably have beaten them pretty easily. Dunno how much that Vinny Grella cost, but it was probably £5m too cheap, has he been given a new contract yet?

Andrews was crap, as per, but that Right back who came on looks a bit special. James Bond is as good as Warnock, and I reckon we'll treble our money for him in January.

Eh? I no longer have any respect for your opinion of Andrews. At least give credit where it's due.

Did you actually watch the game ? Or are you just another negative supporter.

I am normally positive and despite not being an BFS fan have stuck by him on here.

Chelsea or Liverpool would have won by 6 or 8 today Wolves were that bad. Let's get some reality. Worse, Wolves caused us problems at occasionally. A realistic assessment I would describe it as following shocking results against Sunderland and West Ham.

Don't see any of that as negative.....just a criticism of some of out shortfalls that were there for all to see today.

There were positives today (err......the result)....but we were playing a poor team weakened by injuries.

Dad said that Grella should be getting to top form soon.

I think he's seen his top form today. Along with Keef they're occupying crucial positions and are not really good enough to move us forward.

The keeper was dodgy on crosses and the centre forward lacked basic footballing ability. That we knew already.

We are better than we showed today despite the good result and there are definately 5-6 teams worse than us. Having said that we need to get 40 points on the board and to do that we need to continue to win home games such as this in the manner we did today.

The critical thing is that we stay in the division for a couple of seasons whilst ownership, investment, debt and the recession resolve themselves.

Pedersen however should not be taking corners. I will discuss reasonably a point with anybody and am willing to listen to their side of the argument, but not this. The throw-ins need a management review also.

Totally agree and you sum up the feelings of everyone around us in the Riverside (all the singers in far the corner!). Being positive we won which was a boost for the players given the first 3 games and the team lifted with each goal. Emerton looked to add some real injection back in and justifies my critisism of Diouf.

Diouf or Emerton? It's a no brainer. Emerton everytime. Diouf is talentless, lacks pace but works hard. Jacobsen crosses the ball better.

Big Sam needs to sort out set pieces. It's not just diabolical, it's criminal. Worse there seemed to a rotation with no one responsible for good delivery. Dunn was the only effective player from dead ball.

Salgado 10 ;) But seriously, he looked very impressive when he came on, without too much pressure.

What could be a better debut than coming on with 10 mins to go, 3-0 up against a 1st Div team with Madrid weather?

btw Somewhat childish I know but but I must confess to doing a quick 'Toooooogay...... Toooogay' as he ran on. From distance the resemblence is uncanny. :rolleyes:

Roberts. Bet my dad £50 he wouldn't score when he went clean through. He's bringing it on Tuesday. Frustrated by terrible officiating. 6.5/10

A special word for the linesman who patrolled the Rovers attackers who was the worse I have witnessed for a long time, even trying to flag one of ours offside from our throw-in. Missed their keeper being outside his area despite looking straight accress the 18 yard line. Not to mention numerous other errors. Well done sir!

We have to more positive our we'll get caught up in a relegation battle (if we aren't already)

1. Hope you let the old fella off ... a predictably ugly effort by Roberts but all Dunny did was follow it in and help it over the line.

2. An odd day for officials displaying a lack of basic knowledge in general. One goon flagging offisde from a throw in at Ewood and even worse another actually sending off a MU player!!! He's sure to be carpeted by Hackett first thing Mon morning!

3. Tempting fate I know but I can't see us being involved in a relegation battle this season Plastic Head. Our squad is much too strong for that imo.

Preferred starting 11;

Robinson

Jacobson, Samba, Nelsen, Givet

Emerton, Dunn, NZonzi, Pederson

Di Santos Kalinic

Selgado, Ollson, McCarthy, Brown, Andrews, Hoillet, Grella

My preferred would be...

Robinson

Jacobson, Samba, Givet, Chimbonda

Emerton, Dunn, N'Zonzi, Pederson

McCarthy, Kalinic

Brown, Selgado, Nelsen, Diouf, Grella, Andrews, Hoillet, Di Santo

Chimbonda at LB means Givet at his best position.

Nelsen is past it.

Dropped Olssen since we have enough flexibility at the back for him not to be on the bench

(A fit) McCarthy in for Di Santo, as stated earlier, just needs to be a super-sub given that he'll be going back to Chelsea in January.

Would be debatable between N'Zonzi and Grella but I like what I've seen of N'Zonzi so far. Besides that, saw him getting into his Range Rover after the game and got a smile and a wave out of him - refreshing from a Premier League footballer!

Still have my doubts that it will work against a top side, Sam will in my opinion stick with it going into the next game against Everton but i am sceptical that it will work all the time.

It's what many top sides already do isn't it? Obviously finances prevent it nowadays but stick Torres / Drogba / Adebayor up top and I'd fancy us for top 6.

Big Sam needs to sort out set pieces. It's not just diabolical, it's criminal. Worse there seemed to a rotation with no one responsible for good delivery. Dunn was the only effective player from dead ball.

This is very strange considering the importance Sam attaches to dead-ball opportunities.

Didn't see or hear the game but it does my head in seeing the contrasting views of player performances. Gamst was man of the match or crap depending on the post, Andrews had one of his best games or was crap as usual. Givet was outstanding or was below par. Roberts is better than Heskey or will get us relegated. I guess it's the half empty v half full syndrome but the match reports suggest a "resurgent" performance and with players on the bench equal or better to those on the field, things are definitely looking positive. Mind you I'm a half full kind of guy . :D

Yes well you always get opinions coloured by supporters personal views on players. I remember a guy who used to sit near me who thought Tugay was rubbish and wouldn't accept anything else, even when that volley from the corner went in ("lucky strike - on another day it would have hit us up here!")

Wolves were rubbish which allowed us to play good football at times. Better teams would restrict that somewhat, although we still created a lot of chances against City so who knows.

BTW - anyone see Chelsea's winning goal? Seems everyone is doing the long throw into the box these days... ;)

Archived