BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolves Preview

I thought the same and couldn't understand where the comments that the ball was going in the net were coming from.

Having just rewatched the highlights online I think it would probably have gone in anyway but I agree you can't be 100% sure.

What is quite amazing when you watch it again is that Dunn actually races the defender from the half way line outpaces him !!

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These match threads should be called 'Match Threads' rather than 'preview'.

It's not just about the preview is it, as we all want to talk about the game when we get home so it'll be a more accurate description.

I know we can post anyway but it may discourage people.

By the way, I've had mixed opinions about Keith Andrews in the past but yesterday, along with most other players, he was very good.

As expected, hysterical over-reactions abound as to how incredible we were yesterday.

As opposed to the hysterical over-reaction when we don't get a result <_<

You really should try and get down to Ewood and watch a game, it may improve your mood - yesterday was a good day, it was enjoyable and it was entertaining. And we won. Wolves are rubbish but they were the opposition. Job done as far as I can see

I don't see Grella having a first team future if all of Dunn, Emerton and Reid get back to form and Nzonzi keeps developing at the rate he is.

I can see no reason to single out Grella in that context Philip. By the same reasoning you could just as easily say exactly the same about any of the players you listed. Unless of course where you are really coming from is a personal dislike for Grella, who showed yesterday that he has all the attributes required for a defensive MF role, plus good vision and distribution skills. Also out of the players you have listed, there is only N'zonzi that can be fairly described as a defensive MF.

I am not trying to push his cause over that of any of the other defensive MF candidates, but rather looking at it from a "horses for courses" (and availability) point of view. It is and always will be the managers choice.

As expected, hysterical over-reactions abound as to how incredible we were yesterday.

Reality check:

- We were playing a depleted newly-promoted team

- We started with one up front - sorry - ROBERTS up front (much worse)

- The first goal was from a catastrophic error, and Diouf did his best to miss it

- The second was again comical defending (great "finish" from Roberts though...)

- The third goal was the typical "RUN!"-*barge*-*stumble*-"clumsy, hit shift + 8 again!!!" sequence from Roberts who fortunately didn't manage to blast the ball wide before Dunny tapped it in.

Dunn was tremendous, his gut-busting run late in the game for the third goal certainly bodes well. Pedersen was a touch of class as always, but it's a shame to see him pump the ball forward so quickly all the time. As against Gillingham, Andrews and Roberts were playing at their level.

Without that win the Allardyce "era" would have been over if Burnley get a result in October, but he may have bought himself a few more games. We can't rely on the weaknesses of other teams to get us points this season.

We know now how we're going to be lining up, and we know Jason Roberts and Keith Andrews are two of the first names on the teamsheet.

What utter dribble you talk Spencey, why dont you learn to look at a positive side to the game rather than pick up and criticise ?

We played the best Wolves team they could put out and had to beat them.

We played 4-4-1-1 or 4-3-3 and even 4-2-4 even if we left Roberts foraging alone, this game though, he ALWAYS had some support from the midfield (or did you not see this gameplan).

Diouf had to beat the keeper which he did, is the keeper not allowed to try and stop the effort on goal ? After all, its what he is paid to do.

The second goal is down to the movement of Givet, he broke free of the shackles of the Wolves defence.

The 3rd goal was a direct result of a fantastic pass from MGP to find Roberts. Although he fluffed his chance, DUNNY was there BACKING him up to prod the ball home. Great TEAMWORK if you ask me.

Even the most blinkered of Andrew's critics can see that he played a decent game, even me and YOU.

Finally, I dont think Sam's Rovers career will be unhinged should the Dingles escape from Ewood without defeat. It is what happens over the rest of the season that will define his current contract expiry date.

As for lining up with this formation ? Well, yesterday it worked, it will work against maybe 11 other Premiership teams because we do have better players than 50% of the clubs. It wasnt hoof ball we played some good football. I think that once Kalinic and di santo are fully fit then we will find us with 2 strikers on the pitch.

Lets walk before we run.

If you've listened to anything John Williams has said recently you will know that Sam is going to be here for some time to come. You might think he's on the way out, but I don't believe the Ewood board or the majority of the fans do.

I can't speak for the board or the majority of the fans, but I am firmly behind Sam. The man knows his business.

I find the Pedersen bashing by some astonishing, the ball to Roberts for the third goal was world class.

He just seems popular to dislike.

The same goes for Diouf too.

The way he got out of trouble near the corner flag and ran half way up the field without being challenged, I thought he was the difference yesterday, he was brilliant in the first half and his goal was crucial.

Reality check:

- The first goal was from a catastrophic error, and Diouf did his best to miss it

- The second was again comical defending (great "finish" from Roberts though...)

- The third goal was the typical "RUN!"-*barge*-*stumble*-"clumsy, hit shift + 8 again!!!" sequence from Roberts who fortunately didn't manage to blast the ball wide before Dunny tapped it in.

Dunn was tremendous, his gut-busting run late in the game for the third goal certainly bodes well. Pedersen was a touch of class as always, but it's a shame to see him pump the ball forward so quickly all the time. As against Gillingham, Andrews and Roberts were playing at their level.

Without that win the Allardyce "era" would have been over if Burnley get a result in October, but he may have bought himself a few more games. We can't rely on the weaknesses of other teams to get us points this season.

We know now how we're going to be lining up, and we know Jason Roberts and Keith Andrews are two of the first names on the teamsheet.

Hilarious- did you watch the game? Highlights on MOTD don't count. The paying public have stated that we played football as well as scoring 3 goals (that has got to hurt).

Long may this continue!

If you've listened to anything John Williams has said recently you will know that Sam is going to be here for some time to come.

He said the same about Paul Ince.

Given Allardyce's "tactical approach", I can't see us getting any points until Burnley on October 18th, and not thereafter until the beginning of November (another "six-pointer" against Portsmouth).

Everton (A)

Aston Villa (H)

Arsenal (A)

Burnley (H)

Chelsea (A)

Man Utd (A)

Portsmouth (H)

Now we wait for spencey to come on here and claim that:

a.) 1 game (especially against wolves) doesn't prove anything, or

b.) we still played ugly football, or

c.) conceding a goal is poor, or

d.) all of the above

Reality check:

Obviously some more negatives he found as well that I hadn't thought of.

As always, hysterical over-reactions abound as to how incredibly poor we were yesterday!

He said the same about Paul Ince.

Given Allardyce's "tactical approach", I can't see us getting any points until Burnley on October 18th, and not thereafter until the beginning of November (another "six-pointer" against Portsmouth).

Everton (A)

Aston Villa (H)

Arsenal (A)

Burnley (H)

Chelsea (A)

Man Utd (A)

Portsmouth (H)

Considering how skint we are there is no chance we would sack Sam, if we get relegated i fully expect him to remain our manager. The only way i can see Sam leaving is if he walks.

Sorry Spencey and all you Sam haters out there but he is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

You should be quite happy then. You'll have plenty of scope for moaning while the rest of us get on with supporting our manager, our players and our football club.

The win against Wolves is just the start, they are finally getting into some rhythm on the pitch and I think everybody is sinking into their roles at the club. It has been a busy summer with some late signings so it's no wonder it took a little longer into the season before the team started to mesh, but I do think it is safe to say the performance against Wolves proved that the team is starting to come together.

That has to be not only the best result for some time, but also the best match in terms of result and excitement for some time as well. It had some good football and also some "hoofball", but then who cares? The result was the main thing and the way we achieved it was at least entertaining, and moved us up the league.

We also got to see a number of vastly improved performances from:-

Roberts; more energy and commitment, if not end result.

Pederson; more willingness to get involved at close quarters and generally trying harder. Good passing, and two very good efforts on goal. First directly from a corner where he almost succeeded in bending it into the top corner on the far side, and the free kick that rattled the upright with the keeper beaten. As well as his superb pass leading to the 3rd goal.

Andrews; just all-round better (passing, tackling, reading the game, and general involvement) including willingness to get involved and help out, plus having a couple of very good efforts on goal. He even got in one decent header!!!

Diouf; Showed much more of his fighting qualities and not a little skill. Linked well with Chimbonda in the second half. Also kept his cool in taking it to and past the keeper for his goal. Generally put himself about all over the pitch at different times and looked like he was really up for it.

Dunny; once again showed his skill and willingness to run at players with the ball and go past them as well. He seems to have at long last re-discovered not only his fitness but his love of the game. Well done Dunny, and long may it last.

Those were the main stand-out performances for me, but I was also impressed by the whole team. It really was first and foremost a team display of the kind we have not seen since Mark Hughes left us. Every player was really up for it; and it showed. There were a few small niggles and things that I could criticise, but I really feel that would be churlish and non-supportive of what was a fine effort from all concerned including Sam and his back-room staff as well. Let's all hope this was the start of the way ahead.

I haven't seen the game so delighted to hear Grella had an impressive game. But for me his place is under threat unless he produces great performances consistently.

There isn't a footballer on the planet that does that, and certainly not out of the 4 that you named. Don't want to be pedantic but good performances consistently will suffice. Other than Nzonzi we don't have a ready made replacement for his position unless as one or two suspect Salgado might be able to slot in there.

How strange that you should say that Cletus, because my experience yesterday was quite the opposite. I arrived at turnstile H around 2pm and as I went to use my card I was asked very courteously by one of the "bouncers" if he could check the contents of my carrier bag, which I was quite happy to agree to. I then had a little trouble getting my S/T to open the gate,and a steward quickly came to my assistance, and got me through the gate.

Next problem for me (as always) was the stairs up to the concourse. It always takes me at least 5 mins to get up to the concourse with my angina problem, and I have to stop and rest several times on the way up. So when I had rested sufficiently on the concourse with the help of a pint of lager, I set off to my seat on row 1, and on the way I asked a steward at the top of steps leading down to the seats if there was lift anywhere that I could use to reach the concourse. He referred me to the head steward, and when I explained my problems to him he was very helpful and took me along to where the lift was, and explained that from the turnstiles it could only be accessed by using the Disabled entrance. But for this I would need a lift pass which I could get by contacting the club with my S/T details, and explaining my problems with the stairs. All the stewards I spoke to (4 in all) were very helpful and attentive, so I find it remarkable that a number of posters have criticised their conduct yesterday.

Anyway, I now intend to contact the club as advised and see what transpires from that.

I was just going to suggest the lift. I didn't know that it was there until I found out recently that a friends octagenarian mother uses that lift every match.

Having just rewatched the highlights online I think it would probably have gone in anyway but I agree you can't be 100% sure.

What is quite amazing when you watch it again is that Dunn actually races the defender from the half way line outpaces him !!

I saw Dunny racing full pelt up the pitch to get alongside Roberts when Jase was going one on one with the keeper ............ it must be something that Sam's drilled them to do....... for some strange reason. :rolleyes:

I am a new fan, lured by the cheap season tickets. It's interesting to jump in on a club and see what the fans are saying. I get the impression that some fans are willing Allardyce to fail. Maybe past hatred of him is getting in the way?

I don't go with this notion that Allardyce's teams are bad to watch. It's a band wagon in my opinion, and has come about because managers and fans of other teams in the Prem hate playing against his teams and criticise what they see as anti-football. I think it's only anti-football if you are on the receiving end. I thought Rovers dominated the game yesterday, and began to play some good football. The process is still in its early stages, and there are players still waiting to come into the side, like Kalinic, who I think will do well with time, so i think the fans should be relatively optimistic.

I understand that many fans have seen the club through years when it could buy the best players, and play top of the league football, but those days are gone, through no fault of anyone at the club. I think, though, that Rovers will be very hard to beat at Ewood this season, and will always have a go at the opposition. There is a lot of method in the way Allardyce gets his team to play, and it is very worth watching in my opinion. Wolves had no idea how to play against it yesterday, and were out of their depth. Better sides will struggle against Rovers this season, I think.

Yesterday's team was not negative either. People harp on about Sam's 4-5-1 without applying an open mind to what they are watching. If they indeed do go to games. Rovers spent most of the game getting players forward in numbers - Diouf is basically an attacker, and Dunn was pushing forward constantly, as was Pedersen. Grella and Andrews sit deeper to protect the back four.

Kalinic will no doubt take the team forward when he is grafted into the side. Roberts is doing a reasonable job, but i think he will give way to Kalinic in the next few weeks. I think the fans should be patient, and should also not be talking down what are encouraging signs. Some people always want to see the dark side. Sometimes it is justified, but at the moment it smacks of wanting to be proved right in a rather desperate kind of way. Either right that the club is doomed, or right that Allardyce is an idiot. Neither is the case. Get behind the team, it helps!

The only downside for me on this game was the introduction of Ryan Nelsen, dont know if its a pre conceived idea of how poor Ryan is nowadays or that he did 'nt inspire any confidence in the back four by dealing with the Wolves attacks late on in the game.

You should be quite happy then. You'll have plenty of scope for moaning while the rest of us get on with supporting our manager, our players and our football club.

I'm sick of this.

I LOVE BLACKBURN ROVERS. I have my entire life. The poison infecting our club now is only going to lead to certain relegation, and God knows when, or if, we'll ever recover from it.

With Allardyce's one-dimensional, ineffective tactics, lack of ambition against the big sides and his absolute inability to attack teams, we're going to struggle severely.

The time to get rid of Allardyce was over the summer (when he was making noises about walking anyway - presumably he changed his mind after realising no other club would touch him with a barge pole). I fear for our future.

Question - If we have 6 points at the start of November, what happens then?

Went to the game, and my initial reaction was oh dear when I heard the line up. I have to say that I thought it was far too cautious against a weak wolves team. First half I thought it was fairly even until rovers scored. After that it was one way traffic and rovers could and should have had a second. Andrews had two great chances, one he rushed, one that was desperately unlucky not to go in. Peds had a couple of great free kicks which were also unlucky not to go in. In fact thinking on it, I'm bemused as to how we were not 3-0 up at the break.

Second half again saw a fairly even start until rovers scored. Not sure how Roberts can claim it, as it was a fantastic run and header by Givet, which looked majestic even from the darwen end. After that rovers bossed the games, wolves were chasing shadows until we slacked off with 10 minutes to go. It's hard to be too critical when you play so well, but I'd have prefered us not to have slackened off and give wolves an undeserved consolation goal. We deserved better. It was a bit of a dampener on an otherwise excellent game.

I believe in any game there are always positives and negatives to take away from the game, no matter what the result.

The positives:

The formation looked far stronger with Diouf on the right, as we had three attack minded midfielders supporting Roberts, who backed him up pretty well. Dioufs more attacking instincts made a massive difference compaired to Andrews who's not that kind of player as the attacking wide mid.

We scored at crucial times, with a couple of well taken goals.

Pedersen's free kicks were back to being dangerous.

Another 90 minutes from Grella and Dunn, both who had good games. I thought virtually all the team had good games, including Andrews, and I thought Jacobsen was excellent. My MOTM as he was defensively solid, and got involved going forwards well and was involved in  a fair few good moves.

Bar slacking off in the last 10 mins we defended well. We had genuine options on the bench.

Negatives:

We lack pace. Dunny with pace to match his skill would be awsome. As it is we still break slowly as we don't have much real pace in the team. Not one of our three attacking mids had any pace to speak of, which hampered us at times. With a bit more pace I felt we could have really undone a very exposed Wolves.

Roberts is not a lone striker, and I don't think he's good enough. He struggles to turn his man and get off shots, and almost fluffed the one on one. A bigger stronger striker a la Kenwin Jones, or anyone of that style, would make us a much more effective team playing this formation.

We slacked off the last 10 minutes or so.

It was only against Wolves. You can only beat what's in front of you, and credit for rovers for doing that (we didn't do it against Wham) but wolves were a poor side so can't be overly optimistic on this display.

All in all a great result and the season looks a lot rosier.

Edit - having now read what others have said, it has to be said, I'd forgotten that Robbo flapped at a couple of crosses and that bar free kicks (and the second goal) our set pieces were awful. Very few resulted in a chance. Both would be added to the negatives. Having said that though there's still a lot more positives then negatives, and if Emo, Salgado and Kalinic slot in the team's looking very strong indeed.

I'm sick of this.

I LOVE BLACKBURN ROVERS. I have my entire life. The poison infecting our club now is only going to lead to certain relegation, and God knows when, or if, we'll ever recover from it.

With Allardyce's one-dimensional, ineffective tactics, lack of ambition against the big sides and his absolute inability to attack teams, we're going to struggle severely.

The time to get rid of Allardyce was over the summer (when he was making noises about walking anyway - presumably he changed his mind after realising no other club would touch him with a barge pole). I fear for our future.

Question - If we have 6 points at the start of November, what happens then?

the same tactics that saw Bolton get in to europe?

to answer your question. we carry on with Sam because he's already proved that he can keep us up once already.

Question - What would it take for you to shut up about Allardyce and try and see something positive from it? you miserable @#/? :)

There's no use trying to reason with the naysayers, because their disdain for Sam and his methods is irrational and short-sighted. There's little difference between the football we play, and the football 10-15 other clubs in this league play. However, because we have Mr. Sam Allardyce at the helm, the critics are immediately looking to cast aspersions on any long-ball in sight. I remember He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named cursing our tactics and demanding the team find a middle-ground in terms of style. So far, we've shown we can mix it up and play it high or low effectively. Better finishing in those matches, and we wouldn't have been treating the Wolves game so desperately.

Yet we emerged triumphant and the naysayers (chiefly He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named) can not afford Sam or the team any genuine credit. Pretty pathetic from so-called "supporters."

Archived