BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton V Blackburn Preview

Nate

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's the thing with Roberts, he seems to do better when he has to think quickly. When he has bags of time there is about a 1% chance of him putting it away.

For a powerful lad he really surprises me at how deft (and inaccurate) his shots are.

The thing with Roberts is he needs someone beside him to clean up deflections and scuffed shots. His best chance to score would be a rebound from another strikers saved shot. Hes strong and can hold up the ball when he only has one defender on him.

Roberts on his own is cruel, do you hear me Sam? Cruel!.

It's Monday and I am on the train after going to Goodison yesterday. I agree with most posts.

BIg Sam is facingbreal problems compounded by the fact that many fans believe we have the squad but Sam won't pick them for one reason or another. Sam reduced to a bullish offensive acusing some fans critical to him of not knowing what they are talking about. Yesterday's abysmal capitulation at average Everton minus 4 stars has done nothing to swing the pendulum Sams way.

Such confrontation is black and White gamble which can only lead to a the Bush maxim, you're with us or against us and eventually back me or sack me.

Following the Blackburns Ends you don't know what you're doing fans at Goodison bated Sam in the final 5 minutes with "we only want one shot, we only want one shot." as if this wasn't bad enough Jason Roberts was treated as villain by a widespread chorus of "de de de dah - useless bstard". Between that howls of shoot everytime Rovers crossed the half line. All this was filled in much to Sams worry with "we're gonna win 4-3" in the 90th minute.

It's clear Rovers fans patience with Sam, in huge numbers, is reaching a critical point and much of what followed for reasons for urgency was the sheer preictable awfulness and the looming derby game where a 30 year domination may be lost.

I messaged my friend after 7 minutes and said we were awful. After the 1st goal I said 4-0. It was all so predictable unfortunately. After the managers rallying call for better football the line up, delivered in a manner reminiscient of Mike bAssett England Manager, 'rovers will line up 4-4-1-phooking-1'. Enough to evaporate any Sam sympathy.

And the players picked confirmed Sams aspirations to 'make sure we keep a clean sheet'. Something Rovers have only achieved against the inept West Ham at home.

Andrews Grella provided a good championship midfield combo. Diouf tried and tried but missed the golden chance at one end and was easily beaten the air at the other. Inbetween his contribution was like Andrews and Grella, championship.

Roberts up top faced the wrong, ran the wrong way, his second touch was a tackle and didn't hold the ball up at all. Dunn was mom for both teams such was the absence of any quality. Too often he found himself beating 3 players only to waving his arms at Diouf and Roberts to do something. Anything. He appeared a disillusioned player as he trudged off.

Selgado was the interesting selection but the fans may think after singing we signed him for a quid, Rovers were shortchanged. Like a long lost cousin of George Weah carrying perfect credentials it was clear after 15 minutes Sam needed to take him off. Selgado wasn't just slow as in sloowwwwwww 'can he run?? He could not see attackers near him, ran the wrong way and his timing resembled a British Rail timetable, always late or not there. Clearly he needs time. A lot of time.

Chimbonda was ok. As was Givet. It wasn't the defence who allowed Everton to march 80 yards upfield like a panzer division. No it was the team that did.

Train pulling in....

has most fans know if a teams midfield cannot defend and attack them by and large you will lose, our midfield as a unit cannot do one of them never mind both.

Still this is sorted we will have a long and sometimes painfull season

It's Monday and I'm home, so here is my full thoughts with better typing on the PC.

Big Sam is facing real problems following this defeat and poor performances. They are compounded by the fact that many fans believe we have the squad but Sam won't pick the right players for one reason or another. Sam was reduced this week to a bullish offensive accusing (some) fans who have been critical of him of not knowing what they are talking about. Yesterday's abysmal capitulation to an average Everton minus 4 stars has done nothing to swing the pendulum Sams way. In fact such a publicity gamble has backfired and fans are more irate and have seen their confidence erode faster.

Such confrontation is a black and white gamble, you're with us or against us and eventually, back me or sack me. I believe following yesterday's performance more than result Sam's clock has begun ticking. The forthcoming fixtures present no solace or comfort from the premiership heat that BFS has worked his way into. United, Arsenal, Chelsea and the biggest of all, Burnley. A game that is taking on proportions that could define BSF's relationship with the fans for a long time.

Following the Blackburns Ends brief but loud "you don't know what you're doing" verses West Ham, fans at Goodison again bated Sam in the final 5 minutes with a barrage of uncomplimentary chants. "We only want one shot, we only want one shot." Jason Roberts was treated as villain by a widespread chorus of "de de de dah - useless bstard" and between those two ditties there were ironic mass howls of 'shoot' everytime Rovers crossed the half line. All this was filled in with, much to Sams worry, with the pitch black humoured "we're gonna win 4-3, we're gonna win 4-3" in the 90th minute.

It's clear Rovers fans patience with Sam, in huge numbers, is reaching a critical point. Much of what happened was a predictable awfulness and the looming derby game where a fear that a 30 year domination may be lost only fuels the fans urgency.

I messaged my friend after 7 minutes and said we were awful. After the 1st goal I said 4-0. It was all so predictable. After the managers rallying call for better football this week the line up, delivered in a manner reminiscient of Mike Bassett - England Manager, 'Rovers will line up 4-4-1-phooking-1' was a two fingered salute to his own words and the fans. Enough to evaporate any Sam sympathy where I was standing. The players picked to carry out this boredom confirmed Sams real aspirations; to make sure we keep a clean sheet. Something Rovers have only achieved against the inept West Ham at home and something that did not happen at Everton. There was no PlanB and after 70 minutes Rovers simply wilted and gave up trapped in Allardyce's confused fog.

Andrews and Grella provided a good championship midfield combo. Diouf tried and tried but he missed the golden chance at one end, then played villain twice by being easily beaten in the air at the other to gift Everton a goal. Diouf might feel hard done to as Selgado was next to him admiring the fluffy clouds. Diouf like Andrews and Grella played like a very good championship player.

Roberts faced the wrong way, ran the wrong way, his second touch was a tackle and didn't hold the ball up at all. Dunn was MOM for both teams such was the absence of any quality from the other 21 plus subs. Too often he found himself beating 3 players only to waving his arms at Diouf and Roberts to do something. Anything. He appeared a disillusioned player as he trudged off.

Selgado was the interesting selection but the fans may think after singing we signed him for a quid, Rovers were shortchanged. Like a long lost cousin of George Weah carrying perfect credentials it was clear after 15 minutes Sam needed to take him off. Selgado wasn't just slow as in sloowwwwwww but slow in 'can he run at all?? He could not see the attackers near him, ran the wrong way and his timing resembled a British Rail timetable, always late or not there. His needless lunge giving Saha the opening goal from Baines set piece. Clearly he needs time. A lot of time.

Chimbonda was ok. As was Givet. It wasn't the defence who allowed Everton to march 80 yards upfield like a panzer division. No it was the team that did.

Train pulling in....

I believe Rovers players had lost it well before the end of the game. Kalinic was brought on at 3-0 and you have to feel for him. Not brought on when Wolves were on the rack. Brought on when Rovers were on the rack. It apears whatever Sam does it isn't working for him and hi decision to round on the player after is something a manager like Dalglish would never have done. Instead he would have accepted he bought them, trained them picked them. He was the only person accountable for poor displays.

Warnock left after confrontations with Allardyce over selections and tactics. Posted by the departing Gallagher. I have heard other players think this too. The last thing we need is a manager who cannot handle his players other than to show them the door and Sam has to work with and not against his players, warts and all.

Robinson - 8 - played well, had quite a bit to do.

Selgado - 0 - the worst performance from a premiership player I have ever seen

Chimbonda - 5 - average

Givet - 5 - average

Samba - 6 - tried to play a lions role

Diouf - 3 - ran around a lot and achieved nothing, never threatened. To slow to support to Roberts or Dunn. Poor positioning. Poor mans Savage.

Pederson - 6 - started very well, faded. Following his departure Rovers capitulated and Everton opened us up down both flanks.

Andrews - 4 - average/anonymous

Grella - 4 - Slow, ineffective, hides in front of the back four instead of pressing Everton

Roberts - 2 - useless, isolated. worked up a sweat (could have done that in the gym!).

Dunn - 8 - MOM amongst dollopers

Kalinic - 5 - good movement, better touch, fed crumbs

Hoillet - 6 - wanted to take the game to Everton. very pacy.

Nelson - 4 - Could not turn around Rovers slack start and got caught up in the awfulness of it all.

Jason Roberts was treated as villain by a widespread chorus of "de de de dah - useless bstard"

Was this Rovers fans or scousers? If it's the Rovers "fans" then that is a p*ss poor way to treat your own players. Shocking. As someone who has been very, very critical of Roberts on this board I have to say the one thing you cannot accuse him of is a lack of effort and I don't think he deserves to be treated to that. And don't forget who bought him...

Is this how far we've sunk now? :o

Was this Rovers fans or scousers? If it's the Rovers "fans" then that is a p*ss poor way to treat your own players. Shocking. As someone who has been very, very critical of Roberts on this board I have to say the one thing you cannot accuse him of is a lack of effort and I don't think he deserves to be treated to that. And don't forget who bought him...

Is this how far we've sunk now? :o

It is what happened. I fear worse is to come. BFS rather than show humility and intellect appears to be more concerned with fighting disident fans and reinforce that with obscure team decisions to prove he and only he is right.

The first 15 minutes v Villa is crucial. Ie 4411 Roberts defensive players etc.. Possible Villa goal and I fear BFS will be in a lot of trouble.

Worse is to come. It's a no brainer for me. BFS needs to play attacking football with an attacking team. He could afford a defeat v Villa under those circumstances.

I believe Rovers players had lost it well before the end of the game. Kalinic was brought on at 3-0 and you have to feel for him. Not brought on when Wolves were on the rack. Brought on when Rovers were on the rack. It apears whatever Sam does it isn't working for him and hi decision to round on the player after is something a manager like Dalglish would never have done. Instead he would have accepted he bought them, trained them picked them. He was the only person accountable for poor displays.

Warnock left after confrontations with Allardyce over selections and tactics. Posted by the departing Gallagher. I have heard other players think this too. The last thing we need is a manager who cannot handle his players other than to show them the door and Sam has to work with and not against his players, warts and all.

Robinson - 8 - played well, had quite a bit to do.

Selgado - 0 - the worst performance from a premiership player I have ever seen

Chimbonda - 5 - average

Givet - 5 - average

Samba - 6 - tried to play a lions role

Diouf - 3 - ran around a lot and achieved nothing, never threatened. To slow to support to Roberts or Dunn. Poor positioning. Poor mans Savage.

Pederson - 6 - started very well, faded. Following his departure Rovers capitulated and Everton opened us up down both flanks.

Andrews - 4 - average/anonymous

Grella - 4 - Slow, ineffective, hides in front of the back four instead of pressing Everton

Roberts - 2 - useless, isolated. worked up a sweat (could have done that in the gym!).

Dunn - 8 - MOM amongst dollopers

Kalinic - 5 - good movement, better touch, fed crumbs

Hoillet - 6 - wanted to take the game to Everton. very pacy.

Nelson - 4 - Could not turn around Rovers slack start and got caught up in the awfulness of it all.

Thanks for your honesty Graham, I couldn't watch the MOTD highlighs. You can only take so much pain in one weekend.

Worse is to come. It's a no brainer for me. BFS needs to play attacking football with an attacking team. He could afford a defeat v Villa under those circumstances.

Yeah, play gung-ho football against a team who specialize in counter-attacking. That'll work!

We need to instil some discipline and organisation back into the side, and learn to build from the back again. As anyone will notice, our goals against Everton were all defensive howlers. Keep a clean sheet and work from there.

Yeah, play gung-ho football against a team who specialize in counter-attacking. That'll work!

We need to instil some discipline and organisation back into the side, and learn to build from the back again. As anyone will notice, our goals against Everton were all defensive howlers. Keep a clean sheet and work from there.

just like the defensive clean sheets this season?? I think you're suggestion we play at least 6 at the back is rather stupid when we have no pace up front.

just like the defensive clean sheets this season?? I think you're suggestion we play at least 6 at the back is rather stupid when we have no pace up front.

All Topman is suggesting is that we cut out the mistakes. I can't see where he mentions playing six at the back.

According to some of the tabloids Rovers players were called into training at 7.30am yesterday. Sam said that he had done this once before at Bolton and hoped that it would have the desired affect, he also said that they sorted out some "issues".

I think its a critical period ahead for the club.

I feel we have fallen backwards compared to the potential we showed in the second half of last season.

We have enough talent to move up the table. I believe its time to put faith in Di Santo, Kalinic, Hoillett, and Nzonzi and play them irrespective of results. People like Roberts, MGP, and Andrews have had enough chances, and we know what the limit of their capabilities are.

I believe its time to put faith in Di Santo, Kalinic, Hoillett, and Nzonzi and play them irrespective of results. People like Roberts, MGP, and Andrews have had enough chances, and we know what the limit of their capabilities are.

Couldn't agree more....would also include Doran in there as well. We built an entertaining side around youth with Dunn, Duff, Jansen. We have the opportunity to do it again with Kalinic, Hoilett and Nzonzi. From what I saw of Doran last year he wasn't afraid to keep running at defenders even if he got clattered a couple of times (ahem MGP) deserves another crack this season.

Oh hang on....you never win anything with kids.....

I feel we have fallen backwards compared to the potential we showed in the second half of last season.

imo we didn't show much potential in the second half of last season. After the non manager was sacked SA injected some pride, spirit, cussedness and determination into the players to get them to haul themselves out of the relegation places. With a poor squad that along with fitness, organisation and tactical nous is as good as it gets. This season we seem to be resting on our laurels a little too much.

Good displays v City and Sland left us with no points, average displays v Wolves and WHU brought 4 and one abysmal one v Everton has plunged the supporters into the depths of despair. The manager and team need to pull up their socks and find some goals from somewhere, that has been the real issue in all but one match so far. Whether it's tactics or individuals we are simply finding too hard to score this season. It's goals that change matches.

Oh hang on....you never win anything with kids.....

Like 88 other clubs it's highly unlikely that we will win anything these days anyway. :(

I don't believe the issues are going to get sorted out. The issue with the players is Sam Allardyce.

I agree it's time for change. Out with Diouf, Andrews, Roberts, McCarthy, Grella.

NZonzi is defo, as is Emo, Dunn. We might have to mix it up front using Hoillet or even Emo but we need ball retention and effort in order to dominate games and score regulalry

I don't believe the issues are going to get sorted out. The issue with the players is Sam Allardyce.

I agree it's time for change. Out with Diouf, Andrews, Roberts, McCarthy, Grella.

NZonzi is defo, as is Emo, Dunn. We might have to mix it up front using Hoillet or even Emo but we need ball retention and effort in order to dominate games and score regulalry

How do you know that? Maybe the words "In my opinion" before your first sentence might put some but not much credibility in there.

btw Emo up front!!! :lol: You're avin a laff. :rolleyes: All he does when he is clear on goal is turn back on himself. Bert does not possess a strikers instincts.

Following the Blackburns Ends brief but loud "you don't know what you're doing" verses West Ham, fans at Goodison again bated Sam in the final 5 minutes with a barrage of uncomplimentary chants. "We only want one shot, we only want one shot." Jason Roberts was treated as villain by a widespread chorus of "de de de dah - useless bstard" and between those two ditties there were ironic mass howls of 'shoot' everytime Rovers crossed the half line. All this was filled in with, much to Sams worry, with the pitch black humoured "we're gonna win 4-3, we're gonna win 4-3" in the 90th minute.

It's clear Rovers fans patience with Sam, in huge numbers, is reaching a critical point. Much of what happened was a predictable awfulness and the looming derby game where a fear that a 30 year domination may be lost only fuels the fans urgency.

Sounds like our fans need to get a grip then - sounds like we want to be another Liverpool or Newcastle with fans booing, singing about the manager or protesting. Truly embarassing!

Really? Is this a promise?

For you yes - Like you say, we are crap, we are doomed so lets all go and hang ourselves :P

The biggest issue against Everton was Salgado. The Everton team cottoned on to this fact early on and attacked in force down their left flank. The way that Baines, Pinnear, and Saha combined passing the ball around our clueless defenders was great to see if you were an Everton fan, and outraging if you were a Rovers fan.

Why Sam did not see it and get Salgado off after the first few minutes I will never understand, because it was blindingly obvious that Salgado just didn't have the legs to cope, and there was no way he was going to get any better by leaving him on. Maybe if we had got Salgado off and re-arranged the back four we could have got back on an even keel before the damage was done. Even then it would have been a struggle, but at least we might have had a chance. As it was the whole team just became demoralised and the match was lost from the time Everton scored their first one.

Very poor tactical thinking by Sam. Sorry to say it, because i really believe in him, but there it is staring us in face and he did nothing about it.

Archived