BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nottingham Forest Carling Cup 3rd Round Preview

Ozz

Maybe its jsut different here in the US of A, but wouldn't you expect the major media outlets, in the lesser cup competition, to simply use the local commentators instead of sending the prime announcing talent to every single league 1 and championship pitch in the country?

Exactly right and if the local guy has any sense he'll grab it as his chance to show his bosses he should be on a bigger stage.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few positives anyway

We won

Benni scored

Clean sheet

Emerton and Reid had more game time after lengthy injuries

Phil Jones was apparently brilliant and only 17 years old

Andrews didn't have enough time on the pitch to mess it up

Brown saved a pen

Kalanic worked hard and is starting to get confidence

We are in the hat for the next round

Oh and Burnley and Bolton lost!

It sounds like we are rubbish, which isnt very good against a lower league team.

We won - that was the sole intent of tonight - along with the opportunity for others to prove they deserve a chance.

Going off reports - Kalinic, Hoilett, NZonzi, Benni, Emerton & Jones all sounded very interested in the game. Brown also sounded good and saved a penalty.

Compare that with Stoke (Injury time win), Liverpool 1-0 against League 1 team, Brum out, Dingles out.

It's all sorted then.

Keep the midfield and the attack (put Dunn in place of Reid or Emerton), put our normal defense back in place (Jacobsen, Samba, Givet, Chimb.) and we have a good team.

Really isn't that difficult, don't know what BFS has been thinking with playing Andrews and Roberts. We might have had more points on the board by now.

A few positives anyway

We won

Benni scored

Clean sheet

Emerton and Reid had more game time after lengthy injuries

Phil Jones was apparently brilliant and only 17 years old

Andrews didn't have enough time on the pitch to mess it up

Brown saved a pen

Kalanic worked hard and is starting to get confidence

We are in the hat for the next round

Oh and Burnley and Bolton lost!

Bolton haven't lost yet...

I think we all need to listen to these guys and admit we arent that good then we will have a chance of improving.

Surprised at your comments - normally you are fairly rational. Rovers won with a side who have not played together for awhile. if ever. Burnely are OUT and Rovers are in the hat for the next round. Sam will have learnt a lot about certain players. Most prem sides try things out in this competition - maybe Sam has done the same thing. He will surely have learnt that Lars is ready compared to Salgado. Jones, after all is only 17 years old, is developing well - maybe ahead of his age. Rovers WON and AWAY from home, lets just be thankful they did what had to be done - forget style etc etc. Rovers won, Burnley lost, what more can we want on a Tuesday evening. Job done, bring on the next round of the cup.

Big Sam said that whoever plays well will get the shirt on Saturday. Givet is potentially out (hope not), anyone think that Jones might play.

I think the lad deserves it on this (apparent) showing, but he's still only young. I'd like him to start vs villa, but can't see Sam doing that just yet.

Big Sam said that whoever plays well will get the shirt on Saturday. Givet is potentially out (hope not), anyone think that Jones might play.

Massive risk - but I would love to see it! It would be the ultimate statement of intent.

Brown did well - but Robbo is probably one of the few that did really well at Everton...so id stick with Robbo.

Stick with the forward 2 from tonight though.

NEXT round here we come...maybe we will get Burnley...ooops I mean Barnsley

I'd also start with McCarthy and Kalinic in the next game. I don't know why Sam often victimizes McCarthy: choosing Roberts over him and playing Samba ahead of him last season. At least he pulls something out of the bag, whereas Roberts will huff and puff for 90mins with little effect. And Kalinic, of course, needs consistency in the team to build his confidence.

Just a few quotes from RoversRadio and Rovers.co.uk to brigthen the day:

The kid is 17 years old - people on here and five live have also forgotten that. The kid - Jones- did good tonight. I am just wondering what it is about Rovers that the BBC hate. The only thing I can think of is Shearer has poised then against us or because Rovers have won the prem crown - a crown that can never, ever be taken off Rovers. Lets dwell on that and sod the rest of what othes think.

Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Rovers are the only teams to win the premiership. What ever the BBC, Five live say - history cannot be changed - so let people say what they want to say. So go to bed tonight with that fact.

If it was up to me against Villa, I'd play:

Robbo

Jacobsen, Samba, Givet, Chimbonda

Emerton, Dunn, Nzonzi, Hoilett

Kalinic, McCarthy

Subs: Brown, Jones, Nelsen, Pedersen, Roberts, Di Santo, Diouf

If Givet is injured, I'd be tempted to play Jones, but as he's only 17 I'd play Nelsen. He sounds a fantastic prospect for the future though does Jones.

I might be wrong, but just seen McCarthy's free kick tonight and Kalinic might have just got a touch.

Just seen the same think. Can't really be sure from the one angle they showed but Kalinic needs to be claiming that just to get off the mark!

Quite funny seeing Steve Cotterill as the pundit eulogising about Rovers. (Well to a point).

I think some people are a bit crazy in suggesting that we play Jones against Villa. He only played against a Championship Club today and Villa are a top club in England with some excellent players who will expose his lack of experience and more importantly we'll be a weaker team with him playing ahead of either Samba, Nelsen or Givet at centreback.

He's 17, he's had a sound game but back to the reserves for him with a big pat on the back.

Archived