BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nottingham Forest Carling Cup 3rd Round Preview

Ozz

I switched Sky Sports on late last night to watch the goals and the comments from the commentators hoping to see the Rovers stuff and I was surprised to see Steve Cotterill commentating on our game. Having listened to 5 Live Extra and the very negative comments (from Craig Burley in particular) Steve Cotterill praised our youngsters to high heavens. He was very positive and somewhat refreshing to hear. It sounded, from Sky Sports, like Forest had a good go at us and we got into the game scored a goal and it was over from that point. The comment from them was that Blackburn Rovers back 4, yes 4 so it included Salgado, was very solid after a shakey start. I heard one particular comment about Salgado in the second half where Tyson was trying to take him on and Salgado tracked him right to the sideline, he passed the ball to another player and the other player tried 'running down the same dead-end' so I wonder if Michel is getting his stuff together.

The goal did take a deflection and I wondered who'd got the touch. I thought it might have been Nicola but commentators thought it was either Nelsen or a defender.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The BBC match report refers to Rovers as fortunate and the goal "fortuitous"- and that's only the first sentence!

The match stats show that after the first 15 very dodgy minutes, Rovers had most posession and were well on top in terms of actual goal attempts. Forest's first shot on target was the penalty.

We were poor pretty much throughout, save the first 10 minutes of the second half, when everyone wanted the team to kick on and get another few goals. It wasnt to be.

Jones and Hoilett were the best players in blue and white, and i was impressed with Brown too. Whoever said Jones did "nothing special",you're wrong.

If you went to the match he had alot more poise than nelsen and made some great clearances and last ditch tackles - looks very promising.

I'm not jumping on the KA bandwagon here, but when he came on he made some pathetic passes / clearances. He really was shocking; his attempts to pass and control the ball during the half time warm up was also pretty worrying...

Oh well another win, hopefully we can kick on now !

I might be wrong, but just seen McCarthy's free kick tonight and Kalinic might have just got a touch.

Can anyone confirm that? Being down the other end of the ground it was difficult to see.

Here's my prediction:

Brown - keeps clean sheet and saves pen - dropped

Jones - MoM defensive performance - dropped

Hoillet, Emerton, Reid, Nzonzi - dropped

Benni - scores and best taker of a dead ball at the club - dropped

Salgado - thoroughly skinned twice in a row - plays

Brown - Poor keeper, Good at saving pens. His distribution was awful and he took about half an hour to decide where to kick it, by which time the entire forest team were organised again.

Jones - Very impressed. Won everything he went in for and looked more accomplished than Nelsen.

Hoilett must play some role on saturday, this kid is top draw and makes things happen.

Emerton, Reid and NZonzi had alright games without standing out as being a cut above the championship stars.

Benni - MUST PLAY!!! He plays, He scores.... rocket science?

Salgado - Very slow and out played early doors. Once we played more attackingly he seemed far more at home and put in a couple of decent crosses.

The BBC match report refers to Rovers as fortunate and the goal "fortuitous"- and that's only the first sentence!

The match stats show that after the first 15 very dodgy minutes, Rovers had most posession and were well on top in terms of actual goal attempts. Forest's first shot on target was the penalty.

It just shows you how misleading stats can be at times, and I like my stats.

For the first half hour (I checked my watch) we were under extreme pressure. We had a couple of attacks and then scored. We were in control then until about 70-75mins and then Forest really put us under pressure again.

It was an awful game, one of the worst I have seen in a long time. Forest should have beaten us but we progress and that is all that counts.

On the plus side after a poor start I thought Kalinic was really picking up towards the end. He created a couple of chances for himself and almost bagged himself a goal. I was a bit worried about him but he showed enough to be given a start against Villa and really try and form a partnership with Benni Mc.

Will there be any highlights on the web?

A wins a win and hopefully one or two have made a case for saturday.

Can anyone who went tell us how Kalinic and Benni linked up?????

"highlights"!

sorry but that was one dire game of football...I am sure that the apologists will jump to the defence of rovers and BFS (major changes etc) but that was a dreadful dreadful dreadful display last night, and followed on from yet another poor game.

Premiership....we are having a laugh

SORT IT OUT SAM :o

Modes -

What was Kalinic & Benni's link up play like?

What did Hoilett do in the game?

Only stat that counts is - Forest 0, Rovers 1

Its a nicko story that was in the sunday people

Got a link to it? What did it say?

Samba is the next big money move - thats all it is....nothing else

Modes -

Got a link to it? What did it say?

Samba is the next big money move - thats all it is....nothing else

I can't find a link but it was in the paper last Sunday, I think it said he has a new agent and he wants a pay rise, I can't remember the details.

Can anyone confirm that? Being down the other end of the ground it was difficult to see.

Brown - Poor keeper, Good at saving pens. His distribution was awful and he took about half an hour to decide where to kick it, by which time the entire forest team were organised again.

Jones - Very impressed. Won everything he went in for and looked more accomplished than Nelsen.

Hoilett must play some role on saturday, this kid is top draw and makes things happen.

Emerton, Reid and NZonzi had alright games without standing out as being a cut above the championship stars.

Benni - MUST PLAY!!! He plays, He scores.... rocket science?

Salgado - Very slow and out played early doors. Once we played more attackingly he seemed far more at home and put in a couple of decent crosses.

It just shows you how misleading stats can be at times, and I like my stats.

For the first half hour (I checked my watch) we were under extreme pressure. We had a couple of attacks and then scored. We were in control then until about 70-75mins and then Forest really put us under pressure again.

It was an awful game, one of the worst I have seen in a long time. Forest should have beaten us but we progress and that is all that counts.

On the plus side after a poor start I thought Kalinic was really picking up towards the end. He created a couple of chances for himself and almost bagged himself a goal. I was a bit worried about him but he showed enough to be given a start against Villa and really try and form a partnership with Benni Mc.

Thanks for the insight. Always nice to hear from someone who was actually at the game!

The bits in bold marks the most important info. Jones seems to be quality and if Givet is injured then...? Nelsen is a good player (used to be outstanding) and at the end of last season revocered his form. However, with injuries, he seems to have regressed again.

The main issue I have with it is that Samba is not the most stable character to blood a new youngster alongside!

Hoilett is a given for a start, and Kalinic is in simply becuase we need something up front.

Average if truth be told. Kalinic worked well with Hoilett, Emerton and Olsson, whereas Benni kept himself to himself.

I think they would get better given more games. The plus side is that when Benni went near post, Kalinic went far and visa versa. So if the crosses were good enough then there should have been someone there to meet it.

Hoilett was very tricky and Forest didn't get to grips with him at all. My only concern was that we didn't give him enough of the ball, but I blame Brown for that. Hoilett was always the quick option in space and he didn't spot it once.

Emerton and Hoilett seemed to working from the same playbook as well, they swapped on a number of ocassions and were even trying to work an angle down the same side once.

It is a good stat and one that puts us in the last 16.

I also went to the game last night, we were pretty poor but so were Forest. With regards to the previous comment about Brown being poor, I don't agree. He came in and did a very decent job. His handling and claiming of crosses were very good. His kicking is not the best I agree, but the rest of his game was good and don't forget if it wasn't for him the press might be having a field day this morning!

Ive thought that with Hoilett alot - nobody seems to give him the ball to run onto....which is a shame because he looks like he will run at his man.

Good to hear that both strikers were not stood on each others toes though, hopefully they will get the chance on saturday. Or Maybe Hoilett & Benni - with Benni's vision and pass then he could put Hoilett clear a few times...

When is the next cup draw?

The plus side is that when Benni went near post, Kalinic went far and visa versa. So if the crosses were good enough then there should have been someone there to meet it.

Such a simple and effective tactic but apparently so difficult to get two attacking players to carry it out on a regular basis.

(I did nearly say that Tris but I didn't want to spoil the "anti's" fun altogether especially after we won last night. ^_^

There is that better?)

Such a simple and effective tactic but apparently so difficult to get two strikers to carry it out on a regular basis.

Especially when your manager insists on only putting one on the pitch at a time!!

I thought that last night was good. The game was a bit dire... but took a fair few and created an atmposhere. Especially in the top corner, on the left had side.

Apart from "Blackburn Youth" - the unscariest firm ever - coming in our corner singing racist chants. I thought the stewards were good too, didn't enforce sitting etc.

Scored from a set piece. Sam will be very happy.

Ironically enough did anybody else hear the interview with Neil Macdonald last night on Radio Lancs before the game?

Was commenting about after the Everton game that last night being a chance to make their stance for selection and how we need to stop conceding from stupid errors and set plays , and start scoring from ours as we are good at free kicks and corners (or words to that effect anyway) ... us good at freekick and corners -a re they living in dreamland or what? talk about being blind to the cause :wacko:

Also forgot to add - for those dissing Jones as being too young, just remember the hash of it our so called 'experienced' centre backs have made of containing the Villa attack on previous occasions

Last Nights Player Rater:

BROWN: 8 - did everything asked of him despite nothing to do for long periods is always a good sign as shows good concentration. Top drawer Pen save.

SALGADO: 6 - looks like tugay, plays like tudgay, gets paid like tuncay. Mmmm - slow and ponderous was helped out massively by Emerton.

OLSSON: 6 - Coped with his man without really imposing himself on game. Championship may be his level.

NELSEN: 6 - Has presence and that rubbed off on those around him. Solid.

JONES: 7 - The big find of the night. Dominated everything in front of him and had the quickness to avoid being beaten. Should go all the way.

EMERTON: 7 - Great to see him back. Energy and composure should see him back to a regular spot.

HOILETT: 7 - Two good feet. Ability to create time for himself. Progressive player. Excited about prospect of him on either wing or in the hole.

N'ZONZI: 6 - Progressing. Helped to win the midfield without either dominating or craeting a great deal.

REID: 5 - Was steady and unspectacular until inexplicably handling. Forest had nothing till the Pen stirred them up.

KALINIC: 6 - Despite having no service to feet, fought and scrapped for everything. As much as he'd be helped by being stronger, the service needs to be better.

MCCARTHY: 6 - Did nothing, scored. Same old story.

Thinking about it it is a bit of a shame that Doran didn't play last night. He has shown ability and I like him. Problem is he has Hoilett and Diouf who play an almost identical role as he does.

Lots of good attacking youngsters coming through at the moment, plus Jones at the back. I have to say the youth are offering us more than they have done in ages. Hoilett will (had already?) make it, Jones looks very promising, I have a good feeling about Doran and Olsson as wingers. Kalinic is young, NZonzi looks good. A good basis for the squad going forward. Marrow is highly rated although I haven't seen him....

Archived