BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Question For The Older Members

thenodrog

The play off semi final 1st leg v Derby County at Ewood in 1991....... Who was the player who had a goal disallowed wrongly for offside that would have put us 5-2 up? Also who crossed the ball for that 'goal'?

I'm pretty sure it was Speedie's 'goal', not sure about the cross but think it was Newell.

great comeback, fabulous times.......

could do with that spirit in the side now, its something you cant buy or bottle up and dish it out....!!

and add to that...what if gayle had scored that penalty in the first leg against Palace a couple of seasons or so earlier...?

The play off semi final 1st leg v Derby County at Ewood in 1991....... Who was the player who had a goal disallowed wrongly for offside that would have put us 5-2 up? Also who crossed the ball for that 'goal'?

i was piissed as a fart..no idea lol

great comeback, fabulous times.......

could do with that spirit in the side now, its something you cant buy or bottle up and dish it out....!!

and add to that...what if gayle had scored that penalty in the first leg against Palace a couple of seasons or so earlier...?

11 Speedies....we'd be f'kin world beaters! ^_^

That match was an excellent atmosphere. There was a few matches, that season, that were rocking. Newcastle, in February? Speedie hat-trick?, was another (a little 'rum' outside afterwards, too). That Derby match was superb, they were a good side, big-spenders and a tough, hard team, they had an interesting free-kick routine that stands out. I watched the second leg on the big screen at Ewood.

Even at 2-0 down I had no fears about going through. It had been written in the stars all season.

Like Abbey I was sensationally leathered and this went on all night and had to be prised out of my seat in the Hordens or was it the Wellington ? Mrs Roverite was not a very happy bunny as we had a very important meeting with the bank manager the following morning who was a dingle by the way and who had claimed previosuly that if Rovers won he wouldnt approve our mortgage !

never mind, we won, I had a stinking hangover and got the mortgage at a reduced rate :lol:

I've got the ITV highlighlights on video in the attic. Next time I go up i'll get it and digitalise it then I can youtube it.

Got the official 91-92 video digi'd but that only shows the goals.

I too will admit to being slightly "Thwaitested" that afternoon....but no-where near as bad as I was the previous week at Plymouth.

• Backroom

I have fond fond memories of the second leg at Ewood watching on the pitch, I would have been 7 or so at the time but remember going mad when I think it was Moran scored.

All I remember from the first leg was some Ginger bloke scoring an open net for them after going past the keeper but he nearly hit the post.

The final was a great day, I remember seeing masses of yellow at service stations and people singing Big Fat Jacks Barmy Army.

I'm sure it was Speedie, just after half time, I remember some fan chucked a loo roll on turf after he scored (which wasn't offside) from the BBE.

Speedie got 2, Newell got 2 (one being a cracker from just outside the box).

Like Plastic Head I also have the videos of both playoffs and the final (even though I was at Wembley) in the attic, sadly my attic is on t'other side of the Earth at the moment.

I'm sure it was Speedie, just after half time, I remember some fan chucked a loo roll on turf after he scored (which wasn't offside) from the BBE.

Like Plastic Head I also have the videos of both playoffs and the final (even though I was at Wembley) in the attic, sadly my attic is on t'other side of the Earth at the moment.

I'm convinced it was Speedie - Newell put the ball in from the right. I suppose it could've been the other way around. What I do remember though is it was wrongly disallowed cos I watched it on the telly afterwards - although the goalscorer was offside the ball wasn't actually played forward.

Oh, and that little ginger git? Stand up Tommy Johnson - always seemed to score against rovers - seem to remember he used to play for notts county as well.

Probably the best game I've been to as a rover, especially the atmosphere. Even I was forced to admit it might actually be our season after that game..

PS - Please try and get the vid posted - need cheering up after Saturday...

I read the offside rule a couple of years ago and ISTR that it doesn't mention the ball going forward. It just mentioned the ball being passed or played or something.

If you are stood in the offside position and run back to get a ball that has been played 'backwards' you are still offside, I think.

I've not got time to double check ATM, though!

it wasnt speedie apparently!!!

found you the match report :)

say's it was newell! doesnt say who assisted though

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/Bla...il/article.html

I'm sure that wrong, I cannot believe that it was Mike Newell. "Speedie was promptly withdrawn" Now my memory may be fading but I have it that the player whose goal was disallowed was Simon Garner. Is there a chance that he came on to replace Speedie?

Get up into that loft Plastic Head there's beer on this!

Pretty sure it was Sellars and Newell who got the first couple of goals and Speedie got the others.

I don't think I've ever celebrated a goal as much as the Newell equaliser. I remember it was just before HT and the ground was rocking all the way through the interval.

Always remember Clive Tyldesley in the commentary afer the 4th went in 'THEY'RE UNSTOPPABLE!'

One of my greatest memories as a Rovers fan without a doubt.

Archived