BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers V Tottenham Hotspur

Did anyone see much hoof-ball yesterday? I must admit I thought we tried to play it about, but unfortunately lacked the cutting edge to carve enough chances. Spurs were once criticized as a side with too many actors and not enough stage-hands. Yesterday, we were the antithesis of this. We have plenty of players who can throw themselves about (convincingly or not) but a real absence of quality in the final third.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get this idea out of your heads! :rolleyes:

WE are our own worst enemy at present....we are NOT scoring goals and NOT taking our chances.

I agree, we can come up with excuses for losing, but it all comes down to us not taking our chances and letting in really soft goals (which is extremely frustrating after we usually defend quite well). The encouraging thing is we truly looked like a team united against Spurs and the players were really giving it their all. We just need to score.

People shouldn't discount the fact that we had Dunn, Emerton and Samba out last night as well, arguably three of the best players in the squad (if not THE best) and we still performed admirably.

One thing that nobody has picked up on is the annoying unprofessional modern habit of strikers running back up the pitch with their heads down after an attack has broken down. When I played we were expected to run backwards. Yesterday Gomes fluffed a clearance right to Benny which would have left him clear through on goal. Problem was that Benny was jogging back up the pitch with his head down, blissfully unaware of the 'gimme' and missed the gifted opportunity completely.

Fair enough but not going for a lofted cross inside the 6 yard box and leaving a 6ft 6" striker to your 6ft centre half is park football level. He knew he'd screwed up too, walking off a minute later he looked like a condemned man.

I was tellin me girlfriend the same thing, one instance we put in a weak shot and we stopped. No one followed the shot in and Gomes ended up dropinng the ball, it bounced back into the area. Had someone followed the shot ot should have been a gimme. Were these not fundamentals we were told as kids? Dunno, the play was better ust no creativity though, and I SEE A REAL DISTINCT lack of 100% effort in several areas of the park.

WE are our own worst enemy at present....we are NOT scoring goals and NOT taking our chances.

Is that not what I said in the line before the one you quoted?

It's quite easy to recognise when a referee tries to surreptitiously help one team.

The awarding of free kicks for 'nothing' fouls to one team whilst at the same time allowing them to get away with far 'worse' fouls is a dead giveaway. This allows the favoured team to keep possession easier, gain the initiative and momentum.

It happens to us on a regular basis. It also happens to other clubs too.

Did anyone see much hoof-ball yesterday? I must admit I thought we tried to play it about, but unfortunately lacked the cutting edge to carve enough chances. Spurs were once criticized as a side with too many actors and not enough stage-hands. Yesterday, we were the antithesis of this. We have plenty of players who can throw themselves about (convincingly or not) but a real absence of quality in the final third.

:rover: the reason was samba was not playing :blink::brfc:

Is that not what I said in the line before the one you quoted?

It's quite easy to recognise when a referee tries to surreptitiously help one team.

The awarding of free kicks for 'nothing' fouls to one team whilst at the same time allowing them to get away with far 'worse' fouls is a dead giveaway. This allows the favoured team to keep possession easier, gain the initiative and momentum.

It happens to us on a regular basis. It also happens to other clubs too.

I don't think he favoured Spuds he was just inept. Spurs soon found that they could 'buy' fouls easily by going down and screaming in pain. Once they sussed him they milked it for all thay were worth.

:rover: the reason was samba was not playing :blink::brfc:

The reason Crouch scored (dodgy weak gkeeping aside) was for the same reason. You can't have it both ways I guess. :rolleyes:

Got to say was rather dispappointed in Defoe and Lennon on saturday, especially when thinking about England and the world cup.

I was disappointed with the ref over Defoe on Saturday.

Two deliberate handballs (worthy of a yellow card each), a deliberate elbow (Sunderland had a player given a straight red for an identical offence) plus other niggling fouls throughout the game.

I was disappointed with the ref over Defoe on Saturday.

Two deliberate handballs (worthy of a yellow card each), a deliberate elbow (Sunderland had a player given a straight red for an identical offence) plus other niggling fouls throughout the game.

That was only the tip of it, Aggy. He actually handballed deliberately at least four times.

:rover: happen i'll have to explian why there was no hoofball,you lot seem to miss the point,samba is pushed forward for every free kick,hence the hoof ball,not only the free kicks,it,s the throw ins as well,lardarse thinks he's a target man :wacko::brfc:

Surprised the Palacios dive hasn't been mentioned. The most theatrical I have ever seen bar none. :angry2:

Deserves sticking on You Tube.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that. Absolutely AMAZING dive. He was like a Salmon. Don't know about the ball, I though HE would have come back down with snow on him.

How many attempts on target do you want us to have?

We did more than enough to win that game.

Enough to win would have been to score 3 goals. We didn't even get one, ergo we didn't do enough. Several of our players tried quite hard - Di Santo for example - but again, not enough.

Well its taken a few days for me to calm down over this one,but not because of Rovers performance.I thought they did everything right but score and really should have got a result against a spuds team who`s defence was there for the taking.

Nope my anger is directed at the Father/son combo sitting on BBE lower row 12 seats 29/30.I have really had enough of these 2 Pr*cks now and i am fed up of them constantly slagging our own players off week in week out.They have never once got behind the lads when they have needed support and i am on the verge of giving the pair of them a right slap! I am not a violent bloke by any means but these 2 are really getting on my t*ts,if they are on this messageboard then i have a suugestion for them,either shut the f**k up during the game or better still p*ss off to the dingledome and annoy somebody else!

Rant over! (i think i will now go chant some buddhist incantations and drink some herbal tea to help me return to my previously peaceful state of mind... :blush: )

• Backroom

Unfortunately Bacup, however big a pair of phalluses they may be they are well within their rights to voice their dissatisfaction, they have paid for that seat and the right.

Unfortunately Bacup, however big a pair of phalluses they may be they are well within their rights to voice their dissatisfaction, they have paid for that seat and the right.

Totally agree,freedom of speech and all that,however what is the point of going to supposedly support your team,if all they are going to do is slag them off? (and i`m talking week in week out here!)

• Backroom

Totally agree,freedom of speech and all that,however what is the point of going to supposedly support your team,if all they are going to do is slag them off? (and i`m talking week in week out here!)

It's an odd one then, you get people who have grudges against certain players but it's not often you get people going who appear to hate the entire team.

There was a guy behind me last week who slagged Kalinic off from the minute he came on, someone played a ball nowhere near to him and this equated to him being worse than Grabbi and hopeless. It defied belief.

I must admit I have possibly taken on a more negative demeanor at times this season but some people take it to the extremes.

Archived