BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko

Kelbo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know anything that is going on behind the scenes but listening to the interviews that Sam is doing at the moment he seems to be knocking the players all the time. That must have an affect on the players confidence and that will create a divide.

The interview that he gave before the City game on espn was so defeatist as well.

The same happened just before Ince got the boot. If we lose another game and Sam mentions the lack of funding in an interview I think that will be it.

At what point wdo you think the directors will draw up a shortlist to replace Sam ?

You have to question his desire at the moment for sure - it all comes from the top and if he's negative it can only impact on the players. I think we need to get behind them as much as we can but (as you quite rightly say) if he carries on with the negativity, it's pretty clear his heart isn't in it (no pun on his operation intended. This is no good for anyone so if he's disenfranchised with Rovers then he may even walk away himself before his reputation suffers. At the end of the day he looks after number 1, always has and always will so if we go out of the cup, I predict he'll walk!

You have to question his desire at the moment for sure - it all comes from the top and if he's negative it can only impact on the players. I think we need to get behind them as much as we can but (as you quite rightly say) if he carries on with the negativity, it's pretty clear his heart isn't in it (no pun on his operation intended. This is no good for anyone so if he's disenfranchised with Rovers then he may even walk away himself before his reputation suffers. At the end of the day he looks after number 1, always has and always will so if we go out of the cup, I predict he'll walk!

Money man Sam!

No chance he'll walk

Wishful thinking.

I thought it was unfair to call for his head after a nightmare run of games...and I said so.

I should point out I'm not saying he should go now either, but when you hear all of the info that I was getting yesterday - some I have not even printed and won't at the moment - then you know there is a crisis.

I haven't seen enough of Rovers this season to give a good assessment but one pretty reasonable judge hit the nail on the head when he said 'the trouble is that players do not like playing that style of football and you have to be committed to make it work.'

There is an awful lot in that. If you saw the Man City game no-one actually believed in what they were doing.

If this is all true,and i do not doubt it after the city game,Then it is certainly a crisis.

Without the players belief in the manager and his tactics it is a matter of time before he is a back number.Look at how these same players played with Hughes as manager.

A bad result against Villa and it might just might be the end of Allardyce.

At what point wdo you think the directors will draw up a shortlist to replace Sam ?

I would have thought they will already have a shortlist and even sounded out someone just in case, however, I have a point here, maybe missed by people but it occurred to me that there has been a change in Sams attitude since his operation, do you think he may want the sack, take his money and run?

Sometimes things like illness can give you a wake up call and lifes priorities change!! I know of people in industry who have had close calls, closed their businesses or let them run down and gone to live in warmer climes!

Too arrogant I'm afraid. He'll think this is his 1989 Ferguson moment.

• Backroom

I would have thought they will already have a shortlist and even sounded out someone just in case, however, I have a point here, maybe missed by people but it occurred to me that there has been a change in Sams attitude since his operation, do you think he may want the sack, take his money and run?

Sometimes things like illness can give you a wake up call and lifes priorities change!! I know of people in industry who have had close calls, closed their businesses or let them run down and gone to live in warmer climes!

If that is Sam's plan he's going the right way about it.

In seriousness, I think it's more a combination of underperforming players and incorrect tactics that are hurting us at the moment. The players hate the tactics, so they underperform (on purpose or not, who knows?) and Sam doesn't seem to have a solution beyond beginning with 4-5-1/4-4-1-1 and seeing how it works out from there. Previous games have shown he does have the ability to make tactical changes that benefit us, but by then we're usually already playing catch-up.

Sam's health has got to be on his mind, he is not the same bloke from 6 months ago his whole persona has changed.

When he spoke to the media this time last year you could see he controlled the interview and imposed himself in every conversation, no he has the brow beat look and sound of a lackluster bloke.

You see it all the time when someone has been good at a good for years, but then it just fades away....

Talking of Sam's player bashing, does anyone know what Sam is going on about when he says that confidential reasons between himself and Benni is the reason why Benni can't get in the side? Going by the quotes we have read from Benni he doesn't exactly sound like he wants to be out of the team.

Perhaps more importantly, who would be on it? Souness, Tugay, Parkes...sentimental clap-trap that would completely ruin the club.

Curbishley is the the obvious 'safe pair of hands', but he does favour 4-5-1 too, albeit with a passing game in mind rather than a more direct approach.

Grayson is Ince mk2 - he has 'lower league manager' written through him like a piece of Blackpool rock.

I think Darren Ferguson is excellent and he would have been my favourite 'gamble' if he hadn't just gone to Preston.

Where do you look after that? The top end of the Championship contains the likes of Billy Davies and Dave Jones, showing that Championship success does not mean you can hack it in the top league. Far too early for the likes of Sousa and Di Matteo to be considered for the leap.

The only ex-Rover I'd want is Craig Short, and I'm only basing that on a Mark Hughes-like hunch I have based on his demeanour and obvious intellect in front of the cameras. I think he's done all his coaching badges mind.

Perhaps more importantly, who would be on it? Souness, Tugay, Parkes...sentimental clap-trap that would completely ruin the club.

Curbishley is the the obvious 'safe pair of hands', but he does favour 4-5-1 too, albeit with a passing game in mind rather than a more direct approach.

Grayson is Ince mk2 - he has 'lower league manager' written through him like a piece of Blackpool rock.

I think Darren Ferguson is excellent and he would have been my favourite 'gamble' if he hadn't just gone to Preston.

Where do you look after that? The top end of the Championship contains the likes of Billy Davies and Dave Jones, showing that Championship success does not mean you can hack it in the top league. Far too early for the likes of Sousa and Di Matteo to be considered for the leap.

The only ex-Rover I'd want is Craig Short, and I'm only basing that on a Mark Hughes-like hunch I have based on his demeanour and obvious intellect in front of the cameras. I think he's done all his coaching badges mind.

Ian Holloway! *Runs away*

Seriously:

Hughes, yes.

Curbishley, no. He just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Short: I hadn't thought about that, but if he could get a good team behind him (as Hughes did) I can't see a reason why not. But how successful has he actually been?

Ian Holloway! *Runs away*

Seriously:

Hughes, yes.

Curbishley, no. He just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Short: I hadn't thought about that, but if he could get a good team behind him (as Hughes did) I can't see a reason why not. But how successful has he actually been?

I intentionally neglected Hughes because there is 0% chance of it happening. We're in a far worse state now in terms of being able to back a manager with cash than when he was last here. He was able to bring in Bellamy without selling first in his first reign, no chance of any such thing happening again. He'll get offered a better job in no time.

I'm not overly keen on Curbishley myself, but he's probably the only proven manager we have a chance of getting.

Holloway is in there with Grayson and Ince, he's not up to it at the top level. He's doing well this season but ended up at Blackpool because he wasn't exactly excelling at Championship level. The only upside to him is that I doubt there would be people disliking him for his personality, like we've had with Sam.

Short is still managing in Hungary I think, no idea how he's doing though. I neglected to mention Henning Berg last time, I think he'd be a strong contender (funny how defenders seem to make the best managers, isn't it?).

Nicko, any idea how much sacking Sam would cost? Ince was an expensive one to get rid. I have this feeling that Sam tries to end this season with an honour and then retire because of his health. Losing Villa would make decent season impossible. Staying in PL is not a huge achivement.

Something got be to done soon. With Sam we are not going nowhere but closer relegation zone. We may survive this season and even next but won´t and have bright future. And finance won´t get any better because Samba is only player who has a real sale value. The Walkers won´t help the club a bit. Wonder if they even know what football is. I am not aware the Trust finance but would £10M invest in Rovers hurt them?

Little harsh on Grayson there IMO. He seems much more switched on than Ince ever was. I'm not advocating him for the Rovers post should Allardyce go but I reckon he looks a very promising manager.

I agree - he looks very good, however he needs another 18 months lower league experience. It would be too early for him.

What happens if we win Thursday 2-1, and win on Sunday - how long should Sam get then in peoples eyes?

• Backroom

In that case he has a temporary reprive for now and it would have to be assessed after another few games.

Simple.

Edit - thats providing the players and fans are behind him of course

Nicko, any idea how much sacking Sam would cost? Ince was an expensive one to get rid. I have this feeling that Sam tries to end this season with an honour and then retire because of his health. Losing Villa would make decent season impossible. Staying in PL is not a huge achivement.

Something got be to done soon. With Sam we are not going nowhere but closer relegation zone. We may survive this season and even next but won´t and have bright future. And finance won´t get any better because Samba is only player who has a real sale value. The Walkers won´t help the club a bit. Wonder if they even know what football is. I am not aware the Trust finance but would £10M invest in Rovers hurt them?

Would you give £10 Million to your Grandad's hobby despite holding no real love for it yourself? It is more of a sentimental keepsake for them that they don't want to bother with but don't want to fall into the wrong hands either. Sadly the Walker family are poor, extremely poor compared to many of today's owners.

What happens if we win Thursday 2-1, and win on Sunday - how long should Sam get then in peoples eyes?

To me that is all dependant on performances. If we get two lucky wins employing the same tactics and team selection then it shouldn't change anything.

Archived